http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 08:02:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you ever wish you could change the outcome of a movie?  (Read 3210 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2005, 02:25:27 AM »

Sometimes I wish movies could be more like a "Choose your own adventure" type of book or game, where you make the decisions.
There are so many movies out there where I wish I would see the character do one thing (which would probably change the outcome fo the entire movie) instead of what he does.
One example is the movie SWAT, where the two partners get put in the cage for disobeying an order.
Gamble asks his partner to leave with him, but Jimmy decides to stay. Their friendship is ended there.
Later in the movie, the ex-SWAT member "Gamble" is the brain of operation to get the french criminal and collect on the 100m reward.

For some reaosn when I watch a movie, if it's a good one, I can usually "fall in" to the movie, meaning it almost feels like you are right there in the movie as everything happens.
If I was Jimmy - I would have left with my partner, and probably would have taken part in getting that 100 million at the end of the story.

Unfortunately a movie can't be like a choose your own adventure book or a computer game with a multiple story ending, because you can watch the same movie over and over, and the same thing just happens over and over. If you could choose a different scenario at some point in the movie, even if only 2 or 3 times, it would make movies seem so much more interactive.
It would cost Hollywood tons of money to do something like that, but IMO, that would give so much more life to movies. Why do the good guys always win?
What if you actually agree with the bad guys (like the movie Rogue Force with the rogue swat team who take the law to their own hands but only go after criminals) and want to see them win?

Kind of a strange post I suppose, but after watching SWAT for the third time since it came out, I can't help but to wonder What If.. Jimmy had gone with his partner Gamble. Instead, you can't change the outcome, you already know what's going to happen, and to me at least, that kind of defeats being able to enjoy watching a movie over again that you've already seen.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 02:56:17 AM »

There was talk about something similar to this in the news post about the possible Sims TV show.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 03:06:13 AM »

Good night nurse - you willingly watched SWAT three times? That leads one to ask - how many times were you dropped as a child?

biggrin

I would have changed the ending to Devil's Advocate - only I would have burned down Warner Bros. who must have forced the final bit onto the movie. It should have ended with the explosion of flame, then credits. But no... it keeps going.

:roll:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 03:21:03 AM »

I would have gone over to the Dark Side. :twisted:

Power,  money, women, the hypnotic voice of James Earl Jones...

Anyway, I agree with you corrupt.  I think that would be fantastic.  Like the pale one alludes to, I am not always thrilled with the big studio endings that seem such a letdown.  It would be so much fun to examine it from different angles.

Remember the old Marvel "What If...?" comics?  I really loved those for this very reason!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:14:12 AM »

Very good examples! I forgot about the Devil's Advocate. To find out later in life you have a demonic sister that HOT? I would have joined my father and taken over the world as the prince of darkness, too.  unibrow

I was thinking that one of the newer StarWars had an episode where one of the good characters had a chance to join the dark side, but he turned them down.
Even if the "Good guy" is offered to join the bad guys to save his life, he turns them down anyway. Happens in all the movies. Even if the good guy still wants to be good - he can at least pretend and say sure I'll join you, then he gets free and doesn't get killed, and he can't save the battle for another day.
But no he must say something like "I'd rather die than join the dark side!"

And SWAT was an example of a near-perfect movie! I love those "cops gone bad" stories (I'm an ex-correctional officer gone bad myself  :wink:) so really looking forward to Assault on Precinct 13 tommorow night.  

Anyone remember those older "Choose Your own adventure" books they used to make in the fantasy/D&D type of universe? You might start out as a warrior, and then along the way you meet new characters, have different paths to take, some of them are the right decisions, and some are the wrong ones.
You might meet a warrior elf, who wants to join you. But your instincts tell you she's not to be trusted. The book describes her as a scantily clad good looking elf woman though, and so you decide to let her join you. Later on, you choose to setup camp for the night, and she kills you in your sleep. (I remember a scenario exactly like that from one of those books.)

Maybe some day.. right? Maybe some day we'll have some VR set we can put on our heads and take us into a virtual world and do whatever we want. We might be the King of some country, and we might choose to be a good King and have the people love us, or we might choose to be an evil King, and have the population revolt and then get into sword fights and killing people left and right.
One day, I truly hope.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheOneWhoStoodUp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 06:42:56 AM »

The Last Samurai.
  *Spoilers*

Algren should've died in the final charge.  Give the final emotional speech to some other character.  Like the little boy, or something.  Algren should've gotten wasted.  The way it stands, it's a great movie with an ending which has a forced happy ending.
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 06:54:44 AM »

Panic Room.  

Spoiler:

Whats-his-face should have gotten the bearer bonds and gotten away.

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 07:24:12 AM »

Quote from: "MHS"
Panic Room.  

Spoiler:

Whats-his-face should have gotten the bearer bonds and gotten away.

Yes.

I was pissed.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »

Thelma and Louise.

They should have shown the crumpled, burning car at the bottom of the ravine with their bloodied, broken corpses being picked on by buzzards.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 05:07:20 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
Thelma and Louise.

They should have shown the crumpled, burning car at the bottom of the ravine with their bloodied, broken corpses being picked on by buzzards.

I was thinking they should have also shot the worthless a-hole husband.

croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 06:10:58 PM »

I remember when I saw the older Kevin Costner movie Revenge, I was totally pissed off at the ending.

That is one movie I would have liked to change the ending to
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 06:24:08 PM »

There have been many movies I liked but hated the ending. Dances with wolves was the worst. They demonized the soldiers so that later the indians could kill them. Soldiers would never shoot anything without orders, immediate court martial offense. Them whiping their guns out just to shoot the wolf was BS. They also would never shoot a horse for no reason, they were extremely valuable for one. But, one rider coming over the hill is no threat to 30 soldiers. There is no reason to just shoot him or the horse. Soldiers also would not just indecriminately beat somebody just because they happened to be wearing indian garb, or actually being an indian for that matter. Neither was a crime.

I knew what was going to happen at the end of Braveheart because I knew the history of wallace. But, I didn't like the end of that either. You can almost always tell when the hero of a movie is going go die, he will see his dead wife, or see the door to heaven like in Gladiator, suggesting the person isn't really dead to ease the blow of their demise.

Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 06:25:18 PM »

Heat:

Robert DeNiro's character should have not gone after Waingrow in the hotel, and simply gone straight to the airport with his main squeeze and flown off into the sunset.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 06:32:17 PM »

AI -

Should have ended with the kid in the chopper wishing at the Blue Fairy forever - (insert Internal conflict of Eternal hope clause)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 08:22:21 PM »

Star Wars:

Luke's final tordepo shot misses.  The Death Star blows Yavin to smithereens taking Leia, C3PO, R2D2, and the Rebellion right along with it.

No other movies are made, thus ensuring that the world never has the pleasure of meeting Jar Jar Binks.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
Star Wars:

Luke's final tordepo shot misses.  The Death Star blows Yavin to smithereens taking Leia, C3PO, R2D2, and the Rebellion right along with it.

No other movies are made, thus ensuring that the world never has the pleasure of meeting Jar Jar Binks.

Except Episode 1 is a prequel  so Jar Jar still exists!  So the movies could still be made.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 01:15:05 AM »

Immediately off the top of my head:
Edward Scissorhands:  Fuck the BS 'snow scene'.   Edward, realizing that society ostracizes people of true creativity and intelligance, returns to the castle and slowly decays into forgetfulness, evetually becoming the machine from which he came.  And THAT BITCH spends the rest of her life wondering if she fucked up her one chance at a real life, and non-generic love.

The Star Wars Corollary (ie eveyone died , so sequels NEVER happened):
Blues Brothers
Aliens
Caddyshack
The Road Warrior

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 01:54:38 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
AI -

Should have ended with the kid in the chopper wishing at the Blue Fairy forever - (insert Internal conflict of Eternal hope clause)

You beat me to it.  I really dug the movie, until the stupid tacked on ending.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 04:25:25 AM »

Signs - I wanted very badly for the world to be overcome by the aliens.  The basement seen was so foreboding and ominous, so I was really let down by how goofy the aliens looked, for one, and second, that they were wiped out by water.  Bah!  Can't the humans lose for once?

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 05:35:43 AM »

Quote from: "hentzau"
AI -

You beat me to it.  I really dug the movie, until the stupid tacked on ending.

YES!  I saw this one just yesterday, and me and my wife both agreed that Speilberg doesn't know where to end movies lately (i.e. Catch Me If You Can).  A.I. just dragged on, and the ending he put on made it like a fairy tale, instead of the disquieting movie it was supposed to be.

Although Haley Joel Osment is a fantastic actor.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 06:20:41 AM »

Another Osmet movie had a suck ending, that being Pay it Forward.

SPOILERS
There is ZERO excuse to having the kid die from a single knife stab to the gut.  They couldn't just let well enough alone with a nice, if forced, message.  They had to kill off the kid in a sloppy attempt at forcing poignancy.  Just a stupid, STUPID ending.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 06:30:50 AM »

AI -

This is still a very hot issue.  The fact is that Stanley Kubrick wrote a story beyond the Blue Fairy and Spielberg decided to go the whole nine yards with it.  Many people still argue that Kubrick never would have written past the Blue Fairy, but in many ways the ending of AI is much like the ending of 2001.

Many people still think the organisms at the end are aliens when in fact they are AIs several generations beyond David...they give David his wish in return for the memories he has, memories that were lost over the generations.  It's of course all up to interpretation, but I don't think it was a Spielberg ending that he tacked onto the end...I actually think Kubrick wrote past the Blue Fairy.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2005, 07:43:49 PM »

Message in a bottle was pretty bad too. Any movie where the main character dies suddenly or is left in limbo are pretty bad.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2005, 02:46:03 AM »

City of Angels.

Meg's character should have lived and they'd have to deal with that fact there's nothing else after life.

As it stands, not only is he ultra screwed by having no afterlife, he's also lost the woman of his dreams.

They turned a movie about going the distance for love and the hardships from it, to a soppy tragic ending that was absolutely forced.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2005, 04:33:32 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Another Osmet movie had a suck ending, that being Pay it Forward..

I wish Rushmore had the Pay if Forward ending.

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2005, 10:12:45 PM »

Frodo and Sam should have died on the side of Mount Doom after destroying the ring.
I'm quite serious! Can you imagine how powerful the story would have been then?

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 03:03:47 AM »

What I wanna know is why the damn eagle didn't just fly them all TO Mount Doom from the start.  It took them home so it sure as hell could have dropped them off there.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2005, 03:53:37 AM »

I'd rewrite Cold Mountain so the guy lives at the end.That ending sucked!

Ye Olde Farte
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2005, 05:11:25 PM »

There are _SO_ many movies I'd change the endings to...  Some I'm not sure how I would change them, othersare givens....

Take Reign of Fire... a movie I assumed woudl suck the big one.  Now if the Battle Sequence with the "Boss" Dragon had run 20 minutes of them fighting for thier lives: worthwhile...

The holycrapthisblows ending they used,... It actually damn near made the movie unwatchable for me....

I coudl go on with many many many other movies like this, but I'm a lazy bastage

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

Agreed.  The ending was hackneyed.

SPOILERS FOR HEAT AND COLLATERAL AHEAD

Heat: Robert Dinero should have won. No doubt.

Ditto, Collateral:  TC should have blasted the cabbie and then smoked the girl.  The end shows him getting off the train and walking down the platform.  All in a day's work.

That would also open the door to a sequel for the continuing adventures of one of the baddest to the bone characters in any movie i can remember.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2005, 10:24:50 PM »

I would change Moulin Rouge to end right after the previews.

Big Jake - Caddyshack?  Did you want the gopher to die?  Anti-gophite! smile  And Blues Brothers?  Just curious as goofball comedies don't usually get analyzed that deeply.

Quote from: "ATB"

That was the way the book was written and it was very effective.  We just love our happy endings though don't we? slywink  But truthfully the movie was pretty flat overall including some bad casting for the lead characters.  Renee Z was very good and I usually like Jude Law, but not for this role.
TheOneWhoStoodUp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005, 10:48:46 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"

Quote from: "ATB"

That was the way the book was written and it was very effective.  We just love our happy endings though don't we? slywink  But truthfully the movie was pretty flat overall including some bad casting for the lead characters.  Renee Z was very good and I usually like Jude Law, but not for this role.

Yep, it just followed the book... though I wish they put in more of the Odyssey references.  The blind guy, for example.  Anyone that knows the Odyssey and read Cold Mountain had a smirk on their face when Inman asks the blind man "Who put out your pair of eyes?", and the old man replies "Nobody."
Though they did include a bit of that excellent point of the story.

As for the acting, I know I'm in the minority, but I really disliked Renee's job in the movie.  I found Jude Law to have done an incredible job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: