http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:09:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need a passport to travel to Canada from the US?  (Read 1525 times)
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2005, 02:27:28 AM »

I'm travelling to see somone and she lives in Quebec. So I was wondering if I would need a Passport to travel to Canada? I'm hoping that's not the case. If I do I found a website that'll get me a passport in a few days but it costs an arm and a leg http://www.passportasap.com/

It's funny, when I need a question answered I always ask the GG/CG crowd. My google is weak. Anyways if anyone knows I'd apperciate it. Thanks.

Ascendent
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 02:29:37 AM »

I've been to Canada a dozen or so times, they've never asked for a passport. Only once did they even ask for ID. As long as you are an american citizen, you're good.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 02:46:49 AM »

no, as long as you are a citizen.  They typically ask for your ID, where you are headed and such.  It's just when you get back is when they intimidate you.  Prepare to answer pointless questions.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 02:52:34 AM »

Thank you for the information. I'm so relieved to hear  that's the case.

Ascendent
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 02:53:59 AM »

If you have a State photo ID or Driver's liscence, you're set.

If you are really worried, and you don't want to spring for a passport, carry your social security card and your Birth certificate, which are available through the mail for a fee usually under $10, and with a much quicker turn around than a passport.

I still had a certificate from when I got my driver's liscense years before.  Even needed it for some schools I at which I was interviewed, so it was worth the investment, and got some use I didn't anticipate out of it.

Done posting
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 03:00:40 AM »

Wait wait wait -

Are you flying or driving?  I flew over to visit a girl I met on the internet in Calgary, Alberta.  If you're flying you definately need a passport.  If driving across the boundry, not too sure.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 03:11:03 AM »

Yes, I'm flying....damn I'm going to call the airline tommorow and find out one way or another. Hopefully that's not the case or I'm screwed. Don't think there is enough time to send out for my passport and I doubt I have the extra 200.00 to get it quickly via that website.

Ascendent
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 03:18:23 AM »

From http://www.amcits.com/ itself

Required Documents

When entering Canada from the United States, U.S. citizens must show either a U.S. passport or other proof of U.S. citizenship - such as an original or certified birth certificate together with photo identification. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens for a stay up to 180 days.

Ok well at least I know for sure and I can just do the birth certificate thing with my drivers liscense. Thanks guys I do apperciate your help with this.

Ascendent
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 03:58:56 AM »

Sorry I didn't even think to ask how you were getting there... never flown international.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 04:05:18 AM »

I didn't say I was flying either. Thank you for the info the Coop your help and the help of everyone who volunteered info was  great .  Just continues to reaffirm my belief in that CG/GG crowd are by far the helpful group on the interweb.

Ascendent
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 02:31:29 PM »

My wife and I just flew to Calgary from Chicago a few months ago on vacation.   I had a passport, she did not.  We brought her driver's license and birth certificate and showed it at Canadian customs in Calgary.  On the way back, US customs only needed her driver's license.

XBox Live:  JNacht
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 03:19:59 PM »

Officially you do need a passport (Especially if you're flying, they make you go through customs and everything) but if you're driving it depends on the border guard.  Some don't care, some have a stick up their ass and grill you for 20 minutes.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 07:51:02 PM »

When I flew to Canda I just gave them my driver's license and birth certificate.  I was all good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: