http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:30:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DISNEY buying LUCASFILM....More Star Wars coming...  (Read 9958 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2012, 10:57:18 AM

Quote from: Razgon on November 07, 2012, 10:08:05 AM

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2012, 09:47:49 AM

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 07, 2012, 12:08:36 AM

I just read about this--a new Star Wars sequel with Harrison Ford and the original all playing their current ages?

There ain't a WTF?! big enough!  eek

What's so WTF about it? Even if they appear, there's pretty much next to no chance they'll be anything more than supporting characters in the story, a way to bridge the old episodes into the new ones.

what makes you think there is pretty much next to no chance? Both Harrison Ford and Princess Leia are active and sound of mind and Ford is still acting in movies every year and is a pretty good actor as well.

Because:

1) The Star Wars movies are family movies. Having old people as main characters wouldn't appeal to the younger generations.
2) The Star Wars movies are action movies. That doesn't work well with such old actors.
3) It's been such a long time since the last movie (as in chronologically last, ie. Episode 6) that continuing the story of the main characters in these new episodes is unnecessary. They are better off introducing new, younger characters, with the old ones in mentor roles.
4) After the events of Episode 6, I find it extremely unlikely that Han Solo, Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia will find themselves in situations that call for much direct action by them. Luke is going to be busy rebuilding the Jedi order and working more as a teacher than as a soldier. Leia will return to politics, the area where her heart always was, or help Luke. Han Solo will become a leader in the New Republic Order, either as a politician or as a military commander (Admiral, most likely). This splits up the main characters from the old trilogy and makes it hard for them to be directly involved in anything.

It's true.

I mean, think of how bad Star Trek II was.  It was 20 years after the show, and there was a movie that no one liked in between, so why rehash these characters?  No one cared.  Kirk had a desk job.  Everyone else was off doing their own thing.  The whole movie was about how old everyone was getting.  They couldn't just be running around the galaxy anymore.  Plus there was no emotional connection for the young people watching at all.  FAIL.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:03:30 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 07, 2012, 03:19:02 PM

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2012, 10:57:18 AM

Quote from: Razgon on November 07, 2012, 10:08:05 AM

I just read about this--a new Star Wars sequel with Harrison Ford and the original all playing their current ages?

There ain't a WTF?! big enough!  eek

What's so WTF about it? Even if they appear, there's pretty much next to no chance they'll be anything more than supporting characters in the story, a way to bridge the old episodes into the new ones.

what makes you think there is pretty much next to no chance? Both Harrison Ford and Princess Leia are active and sound of mind and Ford is still acting in movies every year and is a pretty good actor as well.

Because:

1) The Star Wars movies are family movies. Having old people as main characters wouldn't appeal to the younger generations.
2) The Star Wars movies are action movies. That doesn't work well with such old actors.
3) It's been such a long time since the last movie (as in chronologically last, ie. Episode 6) that continuing the story of the main characters in these new episodes is unnecessary. They are better off introducing new, younger characters, with the old ones in mentor roles.
4) After the events of Episode 6, I find it extremely unlikely that Han Solo, Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia will find themselves in situations that call for much direct action by them. Luke is going to be busy rebuilding the Jedi order and working more as a teacher than as a soldier. Leia will return to politics, the area where her heart always was, or help Luke. Han Solo will become a leader in the New Republic Order, either as a politician or as a military commander (Admiral, most likely). This splits up the main characters from the old trilogy and makes it hard for them to be directly involved in anything.

It's true.

I mean, think of how bad Star Trek II was.  It was 20 years after the show, and there was a movie that no one liked in between, so why rehash these characters?  No one cared.  Kirk had a desk job.  Everyone else was off doing there own thing.  The whole movie was about how old everyone was getting.  They couldn't just be running around the galaxy anymore.  Plus there was no emotional connection for the young people watching at all.  FAIL.

That was funny.  nod

But I still think it's a bad idea.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 07, 2012, 03:12:56 PM

Quote from: wonderpug
The Expendables - In Spaaaaaaaace!

What wonderpug posted. I'm afraid if they bring them back, it's gonna be some sort of gimmick. I would rather they came up with a brand new trilogy with fresh characters and mythology.

How would it be a gimmick when these three characters are more or less the most important people in the galaxy at the end of episode 6, instrumental to the future of the Republic? That they would be consulted or be some part of a future crisis isn't a stretch.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »

If they do have the original cast, which I don't think would necessarily be horrible, they better not try and CGI youngify them.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2012, 04:08:23 PM

If they do have the original cast, which I don't think would necessarily be horrible, they better not try and CGI youngify them.
Disney already did that with Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy so yes, that's probably exactly what they'd do.  icon_eek

If they can't get them, just remember Kurt Russell and William Katt are still around....

Star Wars Audition: Kurt Russell and William Katt
http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/217634/detail/

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2012, 04:05:00 PM

What wonderpug posted. I'm afraid if they bring them back, it's gonna be some sort of gimmick. I would rather they came up with a brand new trilogy with fresh characters and mythology.

How would it be a gimmick when these three characters are more or less the most important people in the galaxy at the end of episode 6, instrumental to the future of the Republic? That they would be consulted or be some part of a future crisis isn't a stretch.

Star Wars is no longer about those characters, Tilt. It's an universe. It's been greatly expanded since the 80s. We can't continue to hold on to Han Solo, Luke, Leiah and others as the most important part of that universe. Like Star Trek Next Generation and its followups, Star Wars is now much more. It's time for new characters and stories set in that universe.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 07, 2012, 04:22:08 PM

There ain't a WTF?! big enough!  eek

Star Wars is no longer about those characters, Tilt. It's an universe. It's been greatly expanded since the 80s. We can't continue to hold on to Han Solo, Luke, Leiah and others as the most important part of that universe. Like Star Trek Next Generation and its followups, Star Wars is now much more. It's time for new characters and stories set in that universe.

Doesn't change the fact that they ARE the most important characters. The EU never changed that. Plus you're ignoring what I've been saying in my posts: Luke, Leia and Han Solo would never become the main characters in new movies, only supporting. Think Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Edit: Actually, Obi-Wan is a perfect example. He's a main character in the prequel trilogy, but becomes a supporting character in the old trilogy (yeah yeah, just imagine for a moment that they were released in that order) that ties the two trilogies together.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:51:18 PM by TiLT » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »

Is Jurassic Park a Disney property?  I didn't think it was.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »

Nope, it's Universal (Comcast/GE).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 07, 2012, 05:12:58 PM

Is Jurassic Park a Disney property?  I didn't think it was.

No(not yet),i just saw it on Facebook,thought i'd share

I think the Gungans will be a central role for the new star wars films Tongue

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »

Having Han, Leia, and Luke as supporting characters, sure.  I can get behind that.  But the primary leads?  Nah.  Not if they want this to be an ongoing Bond-esque franchise. 

Maybe make them the focal point of Ep 7, introduce the new leads, and slowly push them to the background in future movies.  Or kill them off heroically.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 07, 2012, 04:22:08 PM

Remember that the vast majority of people don't know anything about Star Wars beyond the 6 movies and the Clone Wars kids show. Anything past RotJ, you can assume they know zippo about it.  Remember the first Next Generation movie?  They made sure Kirk and McCoy were in there to "pass the mantle on" so to speak.  Even the latest Star Trek movie used Spock to bridge that gap.

I'd near guarantee there will at LEAST be a cameo by the old cast. It's highly unlikely they would be anything more than supporting roles to introduce the next generation of characters though. I agree it's time to move on to other stories.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:17:13 PM by Covenant » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 07, 2012, 06:55:01 PM

Having Han, Leia, and Luke as supporting characters, sure.  I can get behind that.  But the primary leads?  Nah.  Not if they want this to be an ongoing Bond-esque franchise. 

Maybe make them the focal point of Ep 7, introduce the new leads, and slowly push them to the background in future movies.  Or kill them off heroically.

At least Ford would be happy then.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:59 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 07, 2012, 07:13:04 PM

Remember that the vast majority of people don't know anything about Star Wars beyond the 6 movies and the Clone Wars kids show. Anything past RotJ, you can assume they know zippo about it. 

Yep, exactly. Most of the general viewing public will know squat about anything that has happened in the EU. Most of what will be seen on screen will be like a fresh coat of paint to a familiar room to most people. If the producers are smart enough though, they won't ignore the EU, and introduce some of the characters that have become important to the EU like Mara Jade and Talon Karrde. They can even introduce Mara as already being married to Luke and pay service to some of their earlier adventures together by dropping references. The best thing to do for the legacy characters would be for them to not be a primary focus, but to still have storylines of their own to further their development. The thing about the Star Wars universe is that it`s always been highly connected, in one way or another. In fact, I`ll go as far to say, it`s like a James Michener saga through the ages, set in space. There`s always that family connection. An entirely new set of characters that have nothing to do with that family would break tradition.

I have to wonder if any of the novel writers feel betrayed by the announcement of an episode 7, after being told for decades that there wouldn`t be one and considering the EU to be their playground. It`s going to be interesting to see how that plays out, as anything shown in Episode 7 would likely contradict anything that was written post-RoTJ.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »

The Clone Wars team has been handling the EU really well, IMO. 

They have slipped a couple of things in, where possible, but official word is none of it is cannon.

Who knows what "official word" is now, though.

I'd be really happy to see Mara Jade, I have to admit.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »

Yeah, the new movies have potential to really shake things up in terms of the EU is what I meant more or less.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »

This is heavy...

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 09, 2012, 11:14:14 AM

This is heavy...

Not really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68yRIE9OvQ

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »

Wait, mo, did you actually think that was in BTTF (p2)?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 09, 2012, 05:22:58 PM

Wait, mo, did you actually think that was in BTTF (p2)?

If it's on the Internet, then it must be true!!!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »

Come on, give him more credit than that, "This is heavy" is straight from the BttF movies and there have been several other silly photoshops in this very thread.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »

Why do you keep saying "heavy?"  Is there something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull in the future?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »

That's what I figured.  It didn't seem like something that needed to be explained.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2012, 08:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 09, 2012, 08:24:38 PM

That's what I figured.  It didn't seem like something that needed to be explained.

It's just the 2015 date that is the connection here Tongue

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »

Writer confirmed:

http://starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »

But...but... George Lucas is STILL involved in the script?  icon_eek

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 10, 2012, 05:34:57 PM

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »

That has always been his strong side though. It's when he gets heavily involved in directing that things go bad.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 10, 2012, 06:22:23 PM

That has always been his strong side though. It's when he gets heavily involved in directing that things go bad.

Yeah, just give him two characters and a fireplace and watch him weave his words of magic. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2012, 07:59:40 PM »

Ok - I thought he was responsible for the last three movies and their writing? Half of each movie was pure garbage, the other half was pretty good.

Sometimes I'm amazed at the things you people seem to know.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 10, 2012, 07:59:40 PM

Ok - I thought he was responsible for the last three movies and their writing? Half of each movie was pure garbage, the other half was pretty good.

He was responsible for the last three movies' writing. Every bit of it. That's not what he's doing this time around. He's probably got some deal with Disney where he gets to act as an executive producer for the first three episodes they release. That way he can get involved without having any real power. They'll probably take the basics of his ideas and work them into something better.

George Lucas has always been an idea man. It's the execution that he falters with. Say what you want about the prequel trilogy, the ideas are compelling even if the execution ruined it (in most cases).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2012, 10:24:37 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 10, 2012, 09:15:50 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 10, 2012, 07:59:40 PM

But...but... George Lucas is STILL involved in the script?  icon_eek

He was responsible for the last three movies' writing. Every bit of it. That's not what he's doing this time around. He's probably got some deal with Disney where he gets to act as an executive producer for the first three episodes they release. That way he can get involved without having any real power. They'll probably take the basics of his ideas and work them into something better.

George Lucas has always been an idea man. It's the execution that he falters with. Say what you want about the prequel trilogy, the ideas are compelling even if the execution ruined it (in most cases).

George Lucas was the idea man for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.  He was also an Executive Producer.

Just sayin'.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2012, 02:36:55 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 10, 2012, 07:42:25 PM

Yeah, just give him two characters and a fireplace and watch him weave his words of magic. 

Nice.  Applause.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2012, 12:06:54 PM »

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59560

Spielberg,Tarantino and Snyder have all ruled themselves out of directing the new Star Wars movie

Steven Spielberg:
“Star Wars” movies? "No! No!” Steven Spielberg told Access Hollywood. “It's not my genre, it's my best friend George's genre."

Worryingly,Spielberg(and J.J Abrams and Brad Bird) is apparently one of few who has seen the 3 movie treatment draft by Michael Arndt

Quentin Tarantino:
“I could so care less”
 disgust

“No, sorry. Especially if Disney’s going to do it. I’m not interested in the Simon West version of Star Wars.”

Zack Synder:
“I don’t think I’d be interested in [directing it],”

“I’m a huge ‘Star Wars’ fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It’s a whole other mythological experiment I’m excited to see, but it’s a lot of effort.”

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 10, 2012, 07:42:25 PM

HAHA!

morlac00 on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »

thought i would stick this here,it was posted on youtube some 5 or so months ago

an unearthed 7 minute 'behind the scenes' of Jedi filming on Jabba's Skiff(Sail Barge,whatever the correct name is)

NOTE: There is No sound(still interesting to watch though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLRD1kDakcQ

Like all original Trilogy behind the scenes,its good to see actual physical sets instead of actors on the green screen

It's worth watching this just for Mark Hamill doing squats on the deck near the end of the video Tongue

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »

Don't know if this is true or not, but according to this article, they're set to bring back Darth Vader because, and I quote:

“He’s an integral part of the franchise. Replacing him is virtually impossible,” explains a film mole.

I can only hope it's not true, as it would be a terrible decision. Yes, he is iconic, but it's time for a new villain, and as the EU fiction proves, it's certainly possible. Saying otherwise smacks of laziness. Hoping it's just some silly rumour.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357610/Darth-Vader-to-be-resurrected
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:28:17 PM by Rumpy » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »

This is Star Wars. Everyone and their mothers will be trying to troll fans by creating rumors. The journalism in that article is so bad, and the source so vague (yet so specific in what he says) that I calculate the odds of the rumor being true to approximately 0%, give or take.

Let's not repeat every single rumor out there, or we'll be stuck in misinformation hell for months.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

True enough. We have a long road ahead of us smile
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: