http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:30:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DISNEY buying LUCASFILM....More Star Wars coming...  (Read 11723 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/business/technology/article/Disney-buying-Lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion-3994041.php

Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series called "Episode 7," set for release in 2015, with plans to follow it with Episodes 8 and 9 and then one new movie every two or three years.

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

WOW
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:21:29 PM by leo8877 » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »

Blurgh.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »

maybe they'll actually make a decent Star Wars movie now...?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on October 30, 2012, 08:32:38 PM

I'd say there's a chance.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »

This is GREAT news! That George Lucas was able to let go of the franchise while he still lives speaks well of him in my opinion, despite the mistakes he has made with the franchise. Disney isn't a bad place for the franchise to end up either. There's nothing about the Star Wars movies, old trilogy or new, that wouldn't have worked for Disney from the beginning. These movies have always been pretty family friendly.

Now we get a chance to see the New Republic on the big screen, as long as they don't completely ignore the Expanded Universe, of course. I can't wait. smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:03:15 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 30, 2012, 08:33:12 PM

For better or worse, Lucas always said he really had no stories for an episodes 7-9. So saying they'll have a movie by 2015 seems awfully, awfully optimistic.

I know Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer, Captain America) badly wanted to do a Boba Fett movie. Maybe now there's some reasonable chance of that happening.  icon_cool

Lucas put Kathleen Kennedy (longtime co-producer with Frank Marshall of many Spielberg films) pretty much in charge of future films as co-chair earlier this year (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/06/as-george-lucas-exits-kathleen-kennedy-enters/1), so I'm curious whether she'll still have that position or if Disney will "wipe the slate clean."

I don't really know whether to be optimistic about the whole thing. I mean, everyone had been complaining for years going back to Return of the Jedi of Lucas basically "Disney-fying" Star Wars too much -- Ewoks, kid actors, Jar-Jar etc. -- after going so dark with The Empire Strikes Back. Now that Lucasfilm really WILL BE Disney, that might just get ... worse...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:05:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »

So how did Disney owning Marvel affect your opinion of, say, The Avengers?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »

I recall Lucas saying he was done making films somewhere, can someone find that?

While he is probably stepping back from direct control, he's installed way too many yes men into his studio to really work. They would really have to clean house to have the creative freedom to undo the stink of the prequels.

Also, the very reason why Disney is buying these studios is actually so that they can make "dark" or just different movies under different studios or names. Disney was also a big help when making The Avengers, considering they own Marvel now. I recall they were responsible for trading away certain IP rights in order to get Marvel back the movie rights for key characters in upcoming films.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »

I have midly optimistic hopes. The marvel properties have been done well overall, and they were smart to hand the reins over to Joss Wheaden. Plus they leave Pixar alone to release hit after hit. While I'm sure we will see kiddie Star Wars stuff at their theme parks I think they will be smart enough to not run the franchise well.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 30, 2012, 09:03:15 PM

For better or worse, Lucas always said he really had no stories for an episodes 7-9. So saying they'll have a movie by 2015 seems awfully, awfully optimistic.

Well, there the whole expanded universe to pull from.. and would be a good idea, so that can minimize script time... Also, I'm pretty sure Disney didn't just wake up this morning and decide to buy LucusFilm.. It's probably been in the works for a while and they may have had agood indication that it would go through, which could mean that they already started a script..
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:41:35 PM »

Disney Princesses Star Wars Holiday Special.

[edit] I wonder what this means for the live action TV series they were developing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »

So does Disney now own all things Star Wars, including the original movies? If so, I am shocked I haven't heard anyone ask the obvious Star Wars nerd rage question yet. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 30, 2012, 09:51:43 PM

So does Disney now own all things Star Wars, including the original movies? If so, I am shocked I haven't heard anyone ask the obvious Star Wars nerd rage question yet. smile

Yes, if they are interested in making money they will find a way to release the original movies in an HD update minus all the other modern changes.

Don't forget that they now also own Indiana Jones as well.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 30, 2012, 10:04:58 PM

Quote from: JCC on October 30, 2012, 09:51:43 PM

Yes, if they are interested in making money they will find a way to release the original movies in an HD update minus all the other modern changes.

Don't forget that they now also own Indiana Jones as well.

And Willow!

do they also own Lucasarts, or is that separate?

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »

there were books for ep 7-9 many moons ago. the series with grand admiral thrawn. i would love those as is
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »

If it gets more star wars made, and made perhaps with some smarter direction from Disney, then awesome.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 30, 2012, 10:24:09 PM

If it gets more star wars made, and made perhaps with some smarter direction from Disney, then awesome.

Agree!  I think this is great news!
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »

Wow, that was unexpected. I don't think anyone ever saw that coming, did they? It will be interesting to see where Disney takes the franchise. It does make me slightly nervous about their announcement of Episode 7, and I know the Timothy Zahn novels were contradicted by the prequels, but I sincerely hope that they at least consult him because he had some very cool ideas in terms of character development.

And I'll call it here now. Pixar will produce a Star Wars animated movie in the next few years, and everything comes full circle, as LucasFilm sold off what would eventually become Pixar. That's an interesting bit of circumstance surrounding the buyout. It's like a boomerang.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:34:51 PM by Rumpy » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »

dangit, I just remembered another film they did this year, so it could go either way- The Avengers headbang or John Carter puke

Because I can,
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:35:28 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 30, 2012, 09:10:24 PM

So how did Disney owning Marvel affect your opinion of, say, The Avengers?

Don't worry, Blackjack overreacts to EVERYTHING.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2012, 10:33:51 PM

dangit, I just remembered another film they did this year, so it could go either way- The Avengers headbang or John Carter puke

The Muppets, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Mars Needs Moms, Pirates of the Caribbean, Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Secretariat, Tron: Legacy...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »

I liked John Carter. The movie, not the mismanaged marketing. I am sorry that sequels are not in the cards.  A TV series would work though with those priest guys as the antagonists.

I like several of the others also, but like any studio hit and miss. Surely Disney having Star Wars can't be any worse than what has happened to the movie franchise since (and including) Return of the Jedi
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 12:57:40 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 30, 2012, 10:46:46 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2012, 10:33:51 PM

The Muppets, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Mars Needs Moms, Pirates of the Caribbean, Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Secretariat, Tron: Legacy...

hey, I liked Pirates.  Johnny Depp as Han Solo's long lost brother Captain Sack J'parrow!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »

The trilogy will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

I really can't see the original cast being up for this,and recasting would be very brave

notice the part i have bolded,so new Star Wars movies are in the pipeline AFTER episodes 7,8 and 9!!

EDIT: does this mean Disney own these as well?or are the Subsidiaries separate?

Subsidiaries
Industrial Light & Magic - visual effects
Skywalker Sound - post-production sound design
LucasArts - video and computer games
Lucas Licensing - licensing and merchandising
Lucas Learning - educational materials
Lucas Books - book publishing
Lucasfilm Animation - animation
Lucasfilm Animation Singapore - animation
Lucas Marketing - marketing
Lucas Online - websites

EDIT: Nevermind
Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

now i know who to bug for a new Star Wars Battlefront game Tongue

EDIT: Had to share Tongue
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:50:27 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 03:09:15 AM »

Well, once I read Lucas had in fact written "screen treatments" for three more films and will presumably foist those on Disney, I kind of stopped dreaming somebody else would get to come in cold and provide a fresh take. I'm sure the screen treatments are as awesome as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'm sure Disney will come up as something as great as Tron: Legacy. Oh wait, that wasn't so great...

It's a good joke, but I don't seriously see Disney sticking Mickey, Donald and Pluto into Star Wars movies any more than they'll start inserting them into Marvel comic book movies. But would they do a SW movie with nothing but Ewoks and Jar-Jar Binks and family? Believe it.  paranoid And would Disney ever OK something as grim and dark as The Empire Strikes Back (most fan's favorite SW film)? No.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:10:50 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 03:18:09 AM »

Oh, look, Blackjack is overreacting AGAIN!

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 03:28:56 AM »

Disney does plenty of dark stuff, not sure what you're smoking
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 04:33:00 AM »

Yeah, Disney can be dark when it wants to be. The Black Hole was pretty dark for a Disney movie.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 05:03:21 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 31, 2012, 04:33:00 AM

Yeah, Disney can be dark when it wants to be. The Black Hole was pretty dark for a Disney movie.

Not to mention Something Wicked This Way Comes. (Damn, I need to watch that movie again)

And I like Tron: Legacy, dammit!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:53 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 31, 2012, 01:16:47 AM

The trilogy will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

I really can't see the original cast being up for this,and recasting would be very brave

The original press release doesn't mention Luke, Han or Leia at all, so I'm thinking that bit was just made up by whoever wrote that article, or additional info has been released that I haven't seen.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 07:20:44 AM »

What if they get Joss Whedon to write and direct new Star Wars movie?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 08:26:03 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 31, 2012, 05:03:21 AM

Quote from: Rumpy on October 31, 2012, 04:33:00 AM

Not to mention Something Wicked This Way Comes. (Damn, I need to watch that movie again)

And I like Tron: Legacy, dammit!

Love TRON: Legacy as well, and you are absolutely right. Marvel being taken over by Disney was the best thing that could ever happen to them, and they have some very, very good movies afterwards.

I'd say this is a day for much rejoicing, not handwringing. After all, those who loved the original 3 movies probably havet liked much of what Lucas has done since.

A new one
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on October 31, 2012, 07:20:44 AM

What if they get Joss Whedon to write and direct new Star Wars movie?

Whedon's already on Avengers 2, and that also comes out in 2015.  No way he'd be able to do both.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 31, 2012, 03:09:15 AM

And would Disney ever OK something as grim and dark as The Empire Strikes Back (most fan's favorite SW film)? No.

Disney own the Buena Vista/Miramax company right?,who have done nearly every Quentin Tarantino film..sure i don't expect ultra violence with a kickass soundtrack in my star wars films,just that Disney can have a dark side(er...yeah go on then,pun intended)

You also have to look at the original trilogy,all 3 films were Universal rated:Suitable for all(i don't know,do you guys have a U rating?),Empire might of been the dark movie,but it was still rated U

Quote from: TiLT on October 31, 2012, 05:35:53 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 31, 2012, 01:16:47 AM

The original press release doesn't mention Luke, Han or Leia at all, so I'm thinking that bit was just made up by whoever wrote that article, or additional info has been released that I haven't seen.

yeah,admittedly i have not seen it on any press releases since posting that...shame,maybe they could of gone the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy and then perhaps done a Kevin J Anderson Jedi Academy trilogy afterwards...am i overstretching? Tongue....i need to read those books

EDIT:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:58:38 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »

Disney could release the original versions of the films on BLU now.....!!!!!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 31, 2012, 03:09:15 AM

And would Disney ever OK something as grim and dark as The Empire Strikes Back (most fan's favorite SW film)? No.

Yeah, Bambi is a pretty upbeat movie.  The Black Hole as well.  They've done it before, for sure, and even some of their cheery films can have dark moments.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »

Touchstone Pictures is owned by Disney and they've done R rated films. We will also see what happens Marvel since all the movies that have come out were already in production before Disney bought out Marvel. The next batch I believe is post Disney. Disney can do dark films, but it really all comes down to who they choose to direct the sequels for Star Wars. It's interesting so we'll just have to see what happens.

It's hard to make it any worse than Lucas has done with the films.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 31, 2012, 02:33:35 PM

Disney could release the original versions of the films on BLU now.....!!!!!

leo for president
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 31, 2012, 01:46:39 PM

I love you.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2012, 04:18:18 PM

I love you.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: