http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:29:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dilemma with new phone  (Read 893 times)
Rowdy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »

Please help me make a decision about a new phone!

I have a Iphone 3GS which is nearing the end of it's life.  I am thinking of upgrading to a 4S (I can get one for $380) but keep waffling back and forth between Apple and trying out an Android phone.

Here are the facts - I'm an IT professional and am not put off by the more technical side of Android.  However, my household has a lot of Apple products - ipods, iphones and an ipad, so I kind of like that everything is centralized in Itunes.  I also love the app store, although I don't have any experience with apps on the Android side.

I use my phone for calling, GPS for bike riding (and tracking my rides), Golf (GPS for distances, have a great app!), internet radio, Facebook and some surfing, and four or five times a year for games and video watching while flying on business trips.  Converting video from torrents or whatnot to mp4 for my phone is sometimes a pain, although lately most of the shows I download come in the mp4 format already.

I'm kind of intrigued by the Galaxy SIII or the HTC one... but knowing that I like (not love) the Apple infrastructure and not being sure what comes with Android I'm on the fence.

What say you?  $380 for a 4s seems like a good deal... not sure if I should take the plunge, or if any of the Android phones would meet my requirements better than my iphone.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:23 PM »

I can't comment on which is better but the one thing I would suggest is to make a list of the apps that you must have and see if they are also on Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps

You might want to also list the things you don't like about the iPhone and maybe someone else here can comment on those points.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:19:21 AM »

My vote would be to wait 3 weeks. The Win8 phones look slick. You owe it to yourself to try them out when they launch (Oct 26). My comments are likely to surprise no one, however. slywink

I loved my iPhone 3gs, but I can't go back to that interface after having wp7.5 for so long now. Live tiles, user / group content aggregation and the simplicity is just too convenient to want to go back to opening up icons like Windows 3.1. The office integration and OneNote are fantastic. The only detractor to Windows Phone is the lack of market adoption, which means the store only has hundreds of thousands of applications (did they hit a million yet?) vs. Apples billion apps. Granted, there are only so many flashlight app variants you'll be interested in, but there are games and apps that have only made it to iOS, less that have made it to Android, and then only some in the MS Marketplace. If adoption rates pick up with WP8, I can see a this swinging upwards.

I've only played with Android a bit (and I have a 2.2 media box from Patriot). It hasn't wowed me. I detest the layout and controls of the Blackberry. Ick.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:23:36 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »

I'd also like to hear user opinions on iPhone vs Android as I an contemplating replacing my iPhone 4 with a Galaxy SIII.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »

I had an iPhone 3G for year or so, then I went with an Android phone. I can't go back to to iPhone now. I have an iPad and I hate having to go into apps to do anything. Whereas with widgets and the notification bar giving me all the info I need. Now I only hit certain apps if I want to do something more specific. That and being able to customize just about everything with my phone. I also agree with several articles out there about the inconsistencies with Android. It is annoying that the back button can mean totally different things in different apps. I think Google is pushing hard to fix some of those things though. That and you also have 200 trillion phones that are "Android" but with extra shit piled on top of it. I bought a Galaxy S2 this go around and I think from this experience I will only get Nexus devices now.

Anyway I can never go back to an iPhone, I hate the "grid" and I don't like not being able to mess with the phone. Jailbreaking only gets you so far and more often than not it slows down the phone and causes other issues. I like how I can have mutliple homescreens devoted to certain things, I can have a screen that is the full gmail widget that I resized to fit the homescreen, another one for g+ and another one that can be a gallery/music player. So I can just swipe screens instead of bouncing between apps.

As for the app store, it's hard to compete against Apples App store, the Play Store isn't really close, I'm sure you can find the same apps but they might not be as good as the iPhone version. That and you get cut off from a lot of really cool games, namely Infinity Blade of GOF2. There are some good games like Strikefleet Omega. Also I'm sure since Android is overtaking iPhone in general there will be more and more games that are going to have to switch to it.

I guess it breaks down to this:

If you use iTunes and Apple stuff for a lot of things, want a truly consistent experience through and through then probably stick with iPhone.
If you use GMail and google services,  like messing with your phone and more customizeation options go Android.

Can't really comment on Windows Phone.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »

I bought the HTC One X a couple of weeks ago and it is amazing.  The camera is awesome and the ability to take burst shots makes catching a good shot of the kids much easier.  It also has a screen that I can clearly see in bright sunlight.  My Samsung Galaxy S (first generation) would wash out in the sun.

I would not buy a new phone that does not have 4G LTE.  The difference is night and day.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on October 16, 2012, 04:13:00 PM

If you use iTunes and Apple stuff for a lot of things, want a truly consistent experience through and through then probably stick with iPhone.
If you use GMail and google services,  like messing with your phone and more customizeation options go Android.

All things being equal, this. 
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on October 16, 2012, 04:16:54 PM

I bought the HTC One X a couple of weeks ago and it is amazing.  The camera is awesome and the ability to take burst shots makes catching a good shot of the kids much easier.  It also has a screen that I can clearly see in bright sunlight.  My Samsung Galaxy S (first generation) would wash out in the sun.

I would not buy a new phone that does not have 4G LTE.  The difference is night and day.

Yeah I've looked at the One X and it looks nice, but the killer for it is no mem card slot.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

True, it does not have expandable memory or a removable batter.  However, it comes with 16GB of memory for $99 vs. $199 for the iPhone.  I don't add a lot of memory-filling stuff to my phone, so that's not a problem.  All of my photos are automatically uploaded to Google.  The battery has also been very good and I has easily lasted me all day so far. 
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »

I have 16gig with a 16gig SD card in my galaxy s2 and really....I only need 16gig, I could get away with 8 even. Everything I listen to or watch, I stream. Maybe if I flew or traveled a lot more I would save off playlists from Spotify or something. If you do a lot of heavy games maybe.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »

Yeah my 16gb iPhone4 is almost allways full and having to swap stuff out, so extra mem space would be really nice. Heck I had to delete stuff to even update to iOS6 lol.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »

personally I'm waiting for this bad boy.  no definite pricing yet, but I figure I'll get the 16gig model, splurge on a 64 gig memory card, and enjoy the 5.5 inch screen.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2012, 09:24:03 PM

personally I'm waiting for this bad boy.  no definite pricing yet, but I figure I'll get the 16gig model, splurge on a 64 gig memory card, and enjoy the 5.5 inch screen.

I saw the Note in the ATT store and its just WAY to big for a phone... That damn thing is a mini tablet lol.

You'll need this for it
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:50:19 PM by Mystic95Z » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on October 16, 2012, 09:47:10 PM

personally I'm waiting for this bad boy.  no definite pricing yet, but I figure I'll get the 16gig model, splurge on a 64 gig memory card, and enjoy the 5.5 inch screen.

I saw the Note in the ATT store and its just WAY to big for a phone... That damn thing is a mini tablet lol.

You'll need this for it

first time I saw the Note I thought it was too big, but then I picked it up and discovered my hands are the right size for it.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »

WP8 Nokia vs iPhone 5:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/438530/nokia_lumia_920_vs_apple_iphone_5_head-to-head/

Just to give you an idea. Also, inductive charging, and the camera that does this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARckSCU8vMw&feature=player_detailpage#t=102s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2fFQAH2D_k

I dunno. I use my cell camera a LOT.

Low light shoot-out: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/lumia-920-low-light-shootout/

The WP8 also has the lens apps built into the camera itself, so can take the pictures and change them and save them immediately.

Each to their own. smile I'm probably going nokia over any other smartphone this time around, unless I have to wait and MS trumps them (unlikely). The HTC and Samsung offerings a great too, but not enough for me to ignore the camera benefits of the 920.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:07:03 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »

first time I saw the Note I thought it was too big, but then I picked it up and discovered my hands are the right size for it.

Heh. My daughter had seen it on TV and on the web and was like OMG I WANT IT until she saw it IRL and it wouldnt fit in her pocket.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on October 16, 2012, 10:25:02 PM

Heh. My daughter had seen it on TV and on the web and was like OMG I WANT IT until she saw it IRL and it wouldnt fit in her pocket.

that's my big worry, that it won't fit on my pants or jeans pockets.  during the summer it won't be an issue because I wear shorts all the time with big enough pockets.

Because I can,
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »

Purge, bad thing is I've never been impressed or liked the Metro UI be it on windows, xbox or phone.... I'm betting MS crashes and burns with the whole thing PC, tablet & phone. And hell how is Nokia still in business, haven't had one of their phone since before the age of color screens.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:36:12 PM by Mystic95Z » Logged
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »

that's my big worry, that it won't fit on my pants or jeans pockets.  during the summer it won't be an issue because I wear shorts all the time with big enough pockets.

Yeah she allways puts hers in her back pocket so no way its fittin unless she grows a massive trunk lol.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 01:13:08 AM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on October 16, 2012, 10:29:39 PM

Purge, bad thing is I've never been impressed or liked the Metro UI be it on windows, xbox or phone.... I'm betting MS crashes and burns with the whole thing PC, tablet & phone. And hell how is Nokia still in business, haven't had one of their phone since before the age of color screens.

Having used Windows 8 beta since Feb, I'm pretty sure they'll do just fine. slywink I agree that the Xbox implementation is less-than-impressive - hell, the fact that they push more advertising than having a PINNED section RIGHT ON THE MAIN DISPLAY pisses me off - it's the thing that makes the phone so damned wonderful. If the retail Windows 8 has a marketplace that makes sense, I look forward to using that more than the desktop. I love live tile info aggregation.

If you want apps, you're looking at iPhone because that's the biggest market. The big names are also on the WP marketplace too - depending on how MS decides to shave this cat will determine how well the market adopts it. For instance, if developers can offer a pay app that covers multiple devices, then duh... having something like a banking app that you can "scan" receipts as images from your phone, store (and access) them from SkyDrive and allow you to manipulate them from your PC to keep track of your receipts with OCR tech, and then lets you extract that data into an xml blob that can be linked to your bank transaction to keep track of it (like mint.com), I'd be all over that.

From a tech standpoint, it looks like the iPhone 5 < Nokia 920. If the price is less, then Nokia's got a shot at it. If it's hella-expensive, I'll find a cheaper phone or live with my WP7.8 until something better comes along.

Sofar, neither Apple or Google have impressed me enough to switch back from a 2 year old phone with no front-facing camera. The 920 is enticing me ... So there's that. biggrin

Rowdy, what have you decided?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:18:17 AM by Purge » Logged

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on October 16, 2012, 10:32:39 PM

that's my big worry, that it won't fit on my pants or jeans pockets.  during the summer it won't be an issue because I wear shorts all the time with big enough pockets.

Yeah she allways puts hers in her back pocket so no way its fittin unless she grows a massive trunk lol.

Okay, Tell me what happened here. Im confused icon_confused

Out of context, SUPER ODD! Tongue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 16, 2012, 04:56:20 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on October 16, 2012, 04:13:00 PM

All things being equal, this. 

I'm pretty certain I will be jumping from Apple to Android... maybe Win8 ( Have my eye on the Nokia Lumina 920).  What is making my jump easier is that I hate buying stuff from Itunes.  I recently uploaded all my MP3 to Amazon and found out I can do the same thing with Google Play (as long as they don't have DRM attached which 99% of my music happens to be).  Maybe if I was more impressed with iPhone 5 I would stay, but it appeared to be more of the same

I upgrade next spring, so I expect there will be some new phones out after the Christmas season is over

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »

I've got a Galaxy note now and I love it although it's not for everyone. For one thing, I rarely actually use it as a phone. Android is pretty awesome though and as some one said widgets are awesome. So nice to be able to tell the 5 day weather forecast without actually having to open an app. Same with checking Facebook status updates or browsing through my latest RSS feeds on Taptu. If you're big into games then you're going to want to stick with iOS but when it comes to everything else Android is at least on par with iOS and even has some good apps that iPhone doesn't.
Can't say much about Windows 8. I'm sure it's a good OS but I don't think it will be able to break into the market with the other big boys which means that you might be purchasing an awesome dead end OS.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts everyone...  I'm leaning towards the 4S at this point since I'm pretty dependent on apps, and also having those apps to share with the other apple devices in the house.  However, Purge mentioned the windows phone and frankly I had forgotten all about that and I am definitely interested in seeing how that turns out - a full fledged Windows device that works seamelessly with my pc intrigues me.  At the very least, it might flush out some lower prices on used iphones and recent android phones.  So I'll probably hold off on this for a few more weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: