http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:50:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Didn't Circuit City go out of business?  (Read 3331 times)
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »

Then why have I been getting emails from them? Did someone buy their name and using it online?

http://www.circuitcity.com/

EDIT- Never mind i see now...

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT
On May 19, 2009, Systemax Inc. purchased the Circuit City brand and website. Systemax Inc. has been in business since 1949. Systemax Inc. is a leading multi-channel retailer of computers, electronics, and industrial products in North America and Europe. Systemax Inc. is a publicly traded company on the NYSE under the symbol SYX.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

beware this one too.  there's already a following of CC #2's bad company antics.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:29:40 AM »

Systemax, I think is RadioShack's parent company. I might be wrong, but the name does sound familiar.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:35:11 AM »

Systemax, I think is TigerDirect's parent company. They're now a Circuit City partner, and I'm guessing they took control of the Circuit City domain.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:42 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on June 22, 2009, 02:35:11 AM

Systemax, I think is TigerDirect's parent company. They're now a Circuit City partner, and I'm guessing they took control of the Circuit City domain.

correct...Systemax is the parent of TigerDirect, and bought both the Circuit City and CompUSA brands when they went out of business.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:25:34 AM »

A couple similar cases are The Sharper Image (which exists as an online-only retailer brand, and produces some products at Bed, Beth and Beyond, but isn't the same company whose stores grew like crabgrass at malls for many years):
http://sharperimage.com/?page_id=273

And Montgomery Ward, which went kaput as a retail store chain several years ago, but still exists as an online-only biz.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is usually when a biz gets liquidated, its "brand name" is still considered valuable, so chances are, someone else will bid for it and keep using it in some way.

Gaming wise, Atari (which today is really just a game publishing brand) comes to mind.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »

A couple Circuit City footnotes...

* Here in Virginia at least, an electronics chain called HHGregg Appliances and Electronics has taken over most of the former (long vacated) Circuit City storefront locations. It hasn't opened any of them yet, and seem to be in the process of hiring for them:
http://www.hhgregg.com/
-Interestingly, HHGregg doesn't sell desktop computers -- they only sell laptops. They seem to sell consoles and videogames a bit, but not PC games.

===============================
*I saw this notice at Micro Center's site when I was looking up something today:

Customers of the Former Circuit City!
On August 28, 2009, Micro Center acquired the postal mailing list of Circuit City Stores.
Customer information is also collected through Micro Centerís acquisition of Circuit Cityís customer database.  

We will advertise to selected people in this group to encourage in-store and/or online purchases from us, and will solicit information from these customers when they buy from us, or want to voluntarily sign up for our mailing lists.

To opt-out of any communications from Micro Center, our Marketing Partners or other companies, refer to the opt-out sections below.
*So, if you suddenly start getting Micro Center snail mails/e-mails, and don't want them, visit their preferences page to opt out of it:
Micro Center Preference Center
http://f.microcentermail.com/asbs/servlet/SS?F=3285960
*I think it says you can also opt out by e-mailing or calling them but the pref. center seemed the easiest way.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:55:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 22, 2009, 04:25:34 AM

A couple similar cases are The Sharper Image (which exists as an online-only retailer brand, and produces some products at Bed, Beth and Beyond, but isn't the same company whose stores grew like crabgrass at malls for many years):

And Montgomery Ward, which went kaput as a retail store chain several years ago, but still exists as an online-only biz.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is usually when a biz gets liquidated, its "brand name" is still considered valuable, so chances are, someone else will bid for it and keep using it in some way.

Gaming wise, Atari (which today is really just a game publishing brand) comes to mind.

Recently discovered this practice exists in the wine industry....Grand Cru and Estrella have been been out of business for 10+ years however the brand names are owned by the same guy who makes 2 buck chuck....and he is now putting out Estrella and Grand Cru labeled wines for $2.99.......
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 28, 2010, 05:50:25 PM

A couple Circuit City footnotes...

* Here in Virginia at least, an electronics chain called HHGregg Appliances and Electronics has taken over most of the former (long vacated) Circuit City storefront locations. It hasn't opened any of them yet, and seem to be in the process of hiring for them:
http://www.hhgregg.com/
-Interestingly, HHGregg doesn't sell desktop computers -- they only sell laptops. They seem to sell consoles and videogames a bit, but not PC games.

===============================
*I saw this notice at Micro Center's site when I was looking up something today:

Customers of the Former Circuit City!

smile
On August 28, 2009, Micro Center acquired the postal mailing list of Circuit City Stores.
Customer information is also collected through Micro Centerís acquisition of Circuit Cityís customer database.  

We will advertise to selected people in this group to encourage in-store and/or online purchases from us, and will solicit information from these customers when they buy from us, or want to voluntarily sign up for our mailing lists.

To opt-out of any communications from Micro Center, our Marketing Partners or other companies, refer to the opt-out sections below.
*So, if you suddenly start getting Micro Center snail mails/e-mails, and don't want them, visit their preferences page to opt out of it:
Micro Center Preference Center
http://f.microcentermail.com/asbs/servlet/SS?F=3285960
*I think it says you can also opt out by e-mailing or calling them but the pref. center seemed the easiest way.

HHGregg has been in business for quite some time.  They have had one in Bloomington, Indiana where my parents live for years. I was never that impressed with the prices but I know a lot of people in that area prefer them to Best Buy for appliances and TV's.  I liked Circuit City better except for the fact that there never seemed to be a cashier available to take my money there.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:46:02 PM by Kurt Stevens » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 01:21:06 AM »

The disappearing cashier is one if CC's trademark business practices. It's right up there with the battery sales pitch from radioshack clerks and clueless best buy sales people.

The worst fallout from CC going under is the lack of competition for best buy. No reason for good sales any more. Same thing happened o Fry's.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »

Quote from: Caine on July 30, 2010, 01:21:06 AM

The worst fallout from CC going under is the lack of competition for best buy. No reason for good sales any more. Same thing happened o Fry's.

i have a P.C. Richard & Son opening in the old CC building near me in a couple weeks...some east coast electronics store that's expanding quite a bit recently, including six new stores in connecticut this summer.   i don't know if it's a good place to shop or not, but it can't hurt to have another large electronics store opening directly across the street from my nearest Best Buy...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on July 28, 2010, 10:30:57 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 22, 2009, 04:25:34 AM

Recently discovered this practice exists in the wine industry....Grand Cru and Estrella have been been out of business for 10+ years however the brand names are owned by the same guy who makes 2 buck chuck....and he is now putting out Estrella and Grand Cru labeled wines for $2.99.......

Isn't that the same guy who owns Gusteau's ?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 07:23:41 PM »

The HHGreggs here in Virginia have started opening up now. I dropped by one over the Labor Day weekend.

I don't think a gamer will find anything there. They have no videogames, PC games or any games to speak of. No DVDs or CDs. That all makes sense marketing-wise (everyone's buying most of that stuff digitally or from online retailers so why waste shelf space/inventory on stuff that almost never sells?), I guess I still expect to see those in stores of this ilk. They had a few select console accessories, most in boxes behind glass. They had what seemed a very limited selection of laptops, but purposely carry no desktop PCs.

What they do have are TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs, TVs and more TVs. Did I mention they have a lot of TVs on display? Bring your own! I swear I have never seen so many TVs in one store in my life. They pretty much occupied the entire perimeter of the store. And they had a fairly large selection of appliances, including many refrigerators and laundry machines. The main "employee booth" seems to be in the center of the store.

I didn't test it, but their ads claim their employees are best-trained in the industry. At the least, they don't seem to be trained to ask you every 5 seconds "CAN I HELP YOU? HUH?" It seemed like they're helpful if asked but otherwise leave you be, fwiw.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:27:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »

Systemax used to run Radio Shack in Canada.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »

Electronic Express, a regional electronics store, has been moving into the vacated Circuit City and CompUSA buildings in my area.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »

I didn't expect much out of our HH Gregg when it opened but I ended up buying a camcorder and refrigerator from there, and (almost) a TV (unfortunately it was too late to cancel my order from Amazon).

I don't know about their regular prices, but I've always had good luck with holiday sales from them. The camcorder was part of their opening day sale and I found it $50 cheaper than any reputable dealer I could find online. The refrigerator we got a great deal on and 2 years no interest w/ rebate. The TV I would also have gotten $100 cheaper than Amazon. Have had good luck with their sales staff too.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »

many of the former CC buildings in Connecticut are being converted to 'P.C. Richard & Son' stores.  they just opened one near me a week or two ago, and it's mostly a big appliance store...lots of home appliances, TVs, audio equipment, and other small electronics.  they have a single case with a few video games, but the selection is very limited, and they don't deal in movies or music at all.  it is a very nice store inside, but it's not a place i can see myself returning to unless i'm specifically looking for something they offer.  there just doesn't seem to be much there for browsing...not like walking into a BestBuy to skim the latest movie, music, or video game sales.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: