http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 08:27:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you hear the hammer? Another nail for HD-DVD.  (Read 2940 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »

Well not that it will happen, but I hope some kind of BR deal comes out now to push me over the edge on that PS3.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »

get ready for the infinite rumors that MS is going to be making 360's with Blu Ray in them now-  I already saw one claiming an insider said 'May 2008'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 03:58:30 PM »

Ugh.  This sucks though.  Movies like American Gangster are coming out on HD-DVD and DVD today.  I guess I'm skipping it or buying it on regular DVD today. :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 19, 2008, 03:58:30 PM

Ugh.  This sucks though.  Movies like American Gangster are coming out on HD-DVD and DVD today.  I guess I'm skipping it or buying it on regular DVD today. :/

I'm guessing we'll be hearing from Universal and Paramount about their revised plans relatively soon.  It should be pretty easy for Paramount since they were producing on Blu-ray less than a year ago but it may take Universal a little time to gear up.  I would expect something like American Gangster to be one of their early releases though. 
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »

I went ahead and bought American Gangster today. I'm keeping my HD DVD player anyway, so it was a no brainer for me.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on February 19, 2008, 02:13:18 PM

I wonder if Toshiba will start making BR players.

No plans to apparently, but of course that could change at any time.

Sad to see HD-DVD finally get crushed, I really did like the format. The whole war was a mess on both sides and hopefully will be quickly forgotten. I'll keep my HD add-on and the small collection of films I have in that format, and look forward to seeing what new movies will now come out on BD.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »

BD may be the mfgr's media of choice, but by no means does that guarantee it as the replacement for DVD's.

Twice the price FTL Tongue. They both sucked when it came to movie costs.

MS stated years ago that if BD was selected, they'd create a BD player addon. If they put it into the 360 as native, it would explain the dwindling stock. That would put cashmoney in Sony's pocket for every 360 sold, but put MS's 360 on equal footing where media is concerned.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 17, 2008, 01:52:48 PM

The HD DVD player is not obtrusive, so I'm perfectly fine with it living in my entertainment system for quite some time.  And like it or not, I won't be watching any BR movies until the prices come down.  I'm simply not paying $400 for a movie player.  I didn't do it with HD, and I'm not doing it with BR, even though the war is over, so I may as well enjoy what I have.

If your HD DVD player breaks for any reason, you can't get a replacement easily and that means any movies you buy after today were definitely a poor investment.

I'm hoping M$ hurries up and makes a low cost BR addon for the 360, then I'll be happy.  Just bought my damn HD DVD too.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »

Here is something from MS:  http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/02/18/557448.aspx

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »

I'm not terribly concerned with the longevity of my HD-DVD player.  My last Toshiba DVD player, which was released about a year and a half after the DVD format launched, much like my current player, lasted for over five years, and was only replaced when I got an HDTV and it didn't do progressive.  If my player lasts even half that, I consider any movies that I buy after today at the inevitable fire sale prices to be a good investment.  I strongly value being able to watch movies in HD during the time it will take to get BR players down to an acceptable price point.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: