http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:01:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did You Ever Read Mad Magazine?  (Read 1568 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »

I read it for about 10 years when I was a kid.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »

Yes, probably not for 10 years but for a large chunk of my childhood. That was the one with the jokes in the margins as well right? I seem to recall a "Cracked" magazine as well that may have had a shorter lifespan.

====

Hooray for wikipedia:

Cracked is a discontinued American humor magazine. Founded in 1958, Cracked proved to be the most durable imitator of the popular Mad Magazine.Cracked shamelessly aped Mad's layouts and subject matter, and even featured a dumb, wide-jowled mascot named Sylvester P. Smythe on its covers (see Alfred E. Neuman). The Smythe character was Cracked's "janitor." An article on Cracked.com, the magazine's official website, explains that the magazine was "created as a knock-off of MAD magazine just under 50 years ago," and it "spent nearly half a century with a fan base primarily comprised of people who got to the store after MAD sold out."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:46:20 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:47:13 PM »

My big thing when I went to visit my grandparents down in Florida when I was in grade school was to get whatever seasonal special (they had a summer special, whatever, that was a compilation of past material) was out and read it on the plane. Sometimes I was able to get the previous season special and then the new one for the ride back up. I never got the individual issues, but friends did.

Not sure if Cracked is still around in print but their website is very popular.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »

I read it back in it's early days as a young kid mostly for the excellent movie spoofs they did and Spy vs Spy. I looked at it again once or twice since, but really felt it had become a shadow of what it was in the 70's. Of course that could just be the nostalgia of my youth speaking. slywink
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »

I had an actual subscription to Mad Magazine throughout a majority of my childhood.  It was delivered right to my doorstep.  Every month I'd rush home from school to read my new copy. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:10 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 01, 2008, 09:47:13 PM

Not sure if Cracked is still around in print but their website is very popular.

Ya know, I've seen picture links from cracked.com forever and never made the connection.

The wikipedia article states that Cracked issues became more and more sporadic through the 90s and 2000s and had a revival in 2006 that lasted 3 whole issues before gonig web only.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »

I was a MAD magazine fanatic as a kid. I not only had a bona fide subscription, but I had a ton of the thick paperback digests. My granddad was a big fan and would buy them for me all the time.

One of my older cousins had a huge stack of old MAD and Cracked magazines, and one day when I was visiting he gave them all to me. As a kid with no disposable income, this was like winning the lottery. I spent countless hours reading and re-reading those.

My favorite part of the whole magazine was the fold-in joke on the back cover. I would sometimes even design my own.

I haven't read one in years, unfortunately, but I have nothing but great memories of those magazines.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »

Oh yes.  My dad had a massive collection of Mad magazines that warped me throughout my childhood.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »

Definitely read them, but can't recall if I had a subscription or not.  Also, this thread fails with no poll.

gellar
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:59:49 PM »

had a subscription and several of the hard cover books.  haven't read one in years, and while i rarely read cracked in mag form, i go to the website quite often.  they have a lot of good writers there.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »

I read it throughout the 1960s. It was considered subversive, at least in our little world, so naturally I was drawn to it.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »

In the sixties-early seventies I used to ride my sting ray to the neighborhood market and pick up a copy of Mad magazine every month. It was the South Park of the day.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:31 PM »

I used to pick it up as a teen when I was living in Germany. There was a newstand that sold english magazines, so once a month my Dad and I would head up there. I'd get Mad and a handful of Marvel comics. I don't think I've looked at one in almost twenty years now.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:29:23 PM »

One of my favorite things to do as a kid was ride my bike to the 7-11, pick up the latest copy of Mad Magazine and a box of Gobstoppers (or Tiny Tarts) with my allowance money, and spend an afternoon under a shade tree reading away.

Man, those were good times.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 01:28:53 AM »

I used to like them, but my parents wouldn't let me have them.  I had to read them at my friend's house.

Was MAD the one that had the folding back cover that made a new picture?  I thought those were pretty good at the time.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 02:14:51 AM »

all hail The Al-ighty -ollar!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 02:55:43 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on December 01, 2008, 10:43:05 PM

It was the South Park of the day.

Nicely said.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 03:45:35 AM »

I am still soooo tempted to get this:

Every issue of MAD Magazine from 1952-2006 for $30

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 04:30:32 AM »

I used to read Mad magazine pretty religiously when I was younger.  Never found Cracked to be all tha funny, I'd say it was a distant second to Mad.

16-bit and loving it!
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 05:23:03 AM »

my dad used to get copies for my brother and I from gas stations on vacations to northern MN, but one day in the mid-late 80s my snitch cousin, looking over my shoulder, says "I can't believe what you guys are reading!" at which time my mom grabs it, gasps at the content and we were unable to get it again after that. Cracked suffered a similar fate after my dad threw an issue in the trash upon seeing a particular comic.

of course, they also didn't like us seeing most PG, or especially PG-13 movies until we were well into our teens. (R-rated was not going to happen. the only one i saw with the parents was "The Emerald Forest", only because they didn't know the rating of the movie until the very end. i didn't see any in theaters until i was of legal age.) i remember full well in 7th grade going in to see "Oliver and Co" at the theater and running into someone i knew from school going to see "Scrooged", and their asking me why i was going to the 'kiddie movie'. to this day, neither of us are able to watch movies with the parents, due to my mom getting offended so easily... it's really no fun.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 05:45:40 AM »

I had my run-ins with both Mad and Cracked.  Aside from Spy vs. Spy, I never got that much enjoyment out of them. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 01:08:59 PM »

I still have all my Mads as I just can't part with them.  They're boxed up in the garage.

My parents were pretty hands off but even in retrospect I don't recall reading anything in Mad that was all that terrible.  There were some poop gags and some uber violent things in some Don Martin cartoons, but even Spy vs Spy was cartoony violence and nothing you'd not see in a Warner Bros cartoon (I realize a lot of them have been censored now).  The movie spoofs were never anything but satire...

In fact, I remember right around the time I stopped reading, several prominent mad artists left the company because they started to 'sex up' the content. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on December 02, 2008, 04:30:32 AM

I used to read Mad magazine pretty religiously when I was younger.  Never found Cracked to be all tha funny, I'd say it was a distant second to Mad.

Cracked was always the magazine version of Go-Bots.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on December 02, 2008, 01:28:53 AM

I used to like them, but my parents wouldn't let me have them.  I had to read them at my friend's house.

Was MAD the one that had the folding back cover that made a new picture?  I thought those were pretty good at the time.

Yea, MAD had the foldable back cover.

Also, I remember that most issues had really good movie parodies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »

Talk smack about the GoBots and there will be war.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 05:09:20 PM »

MAD rocked; the fold-outs and the "One fine day at the Supermarket..." comics had me rolling.

Oh, and there was one edition with a pull-out comic book where they parodied "The Shadow" way back when. Freakin' hilarious. smile
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:11:01 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 05:46:05 PM »

Pretty cool list here of the Usual Gang of Idiots.

Lots of memories associated with these names. Many have died sadly.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:49:15 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »

Did You Ever Read Mad Magazine?

No, I just used it to wipe my butt.*

*That's my "snappy answer to a stupid question".  icon_cool
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 10:34:47 PM »

i have about 500 issues upstairs in my cupboard,i have only just stopped getting it actually,it was getting harder and harder for my newsagent to find it(me being in the UK)

there was British MAD for a time,but it didnt sell very well..it stopped about 1995 ish.since then i have had to import from U.S...i also went to Greece in 1992,and have an issue from there(i got the UK equivalant as well,the only differece is the price and a few articles in different places)

i have a few issues that are old(ish),1 or 2 from 1984ish....Gremlins i think is on the front cover..and a reprint of the first issue that came free with the new issue at the time

funny actually i haven't even picked up a copy of MAD since i stopped getting it late last year

Mort Drucker was prolly my favourite artist,followed by Al Jaffe and Sergio Aragones...but Drucker made the funniest carrictures of the famous

nice topic Lettuce icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 03:51:30 AM »

Sergio Aragones

I had/have somewhere a compilation book of a ton of his stuff. All the little side margin cartoons were awesome.

God I have to go dig it out now.  nod

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

Yeppers, had a subscription like many folks, but I initially started just buying it off the newstand.

My favorite section was Spy-vs-Spy and those folding pages for some odd reason.
I remember later on they came out with a whole book with just Spy-vs-Spy and I just had to have it.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: