http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 08:28:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dialup Hunting -- any recommendations?  (Read 802 times)
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:48:24 PM »

A month from today, as my email just notified me, My current Dialup ISP, Access4Less, is closing down operations, and is no longer offering dialup access at a $5.95 pricepoint, nor are they offering it at any pricepoint.  

It is selling its dialup holdings to Earthlink, who will provide a dialup access at ~$120 a year to former Access4Less users who pay the usage fee before the account transfer on May 20th.

Paying $120 for my entire next year's ISP service is not an option this month.  Sorry Earthlink, and thanks for the great payment options, Access4less.

If anyone has an unlimited usage dialup provider they can recommend with a  monthly cost in the $10 a month ballpark, please advise.

Netscape seems to be where I am leaning, but if you pay with a debit card or by checking account direct deductions, they add a $2.50 a month fee on their $9.95 monthly package.  I do not have a credit card, and that is how they wish to be paid to avoid the $2.50 fee.

I really like their offered features, though, and I enjoy using their products in general.

NetZero has a $9.95 a month plan with less features than Netscape, and also boldly reports incompatibility with Netscape browser softaware in their FAQ.  I think it is more a business move to grief their Netscape competitor than a limiting condition that exists in their networking .  Not  looking forward to giving up Netscape's browser for the sake of a Netzero account.

The local ISPs have been shuffling so much lately, it seems they are closing down within three years of starting up, but if anyone knows a local ISP in the Pittsburgh/Washington Pennsylvania area  (724 area code 941/McMurray exchange),  I'm game to listen to your suggestions.

That is to say, Providers that are NOT:  FYI.net or PghConnect.com -- tried them, used them, they blew goats.

And before it is suggested, I would love to go for broadband, but even if I had the finances, it would be impossible.  Both DSL and cable broadband services have yet to provide service in my neighborhood.  Dialup or satellite broadband are my choices here, and that ain't much of a choice.

Done posting
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 07:27:43 PM »

If this sort of post would get more feedback in the hardware/software forum, I would hate to double up on posts, so I would ask and encourage amy Mod reading this to move it to anywhere they feel it would be most appropriate.

40 + opinionless postviews is somewhat short of my goal, hope you understand.

Done posting
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 07:32:08 PM »

I am fairly close to where you live, but have been on DSL for 3 years now.  Let me see what I can find in that price range.  I used to know a few different providers.

You may want to check out http://www.a1usa.net/  .

Here is a list of 412 area code ISP's.

http://www.thelist.com/areacode/412/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: