http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 08:06:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devil without a job!  (Read 2560 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 04:33:04 PM »

The swift hand of layoffs slapped me in the face today. Nice timing too  :roll:

If anyone in the Boston area has any leads for tech support/customer service/account management  jobs - I'm your man!

Thanks!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tim Maynard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 04:53:42 PM »

Sorry to hear that Devil....Unfortunately companies seem to plan their layoffs for this time of the year. Hope you land on your feet.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 05:18:11 PM »

Sorry to hear that man.  Hope you find something soon, I know that game addiction of yours isn't cheap.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 05:20:29 PM »

Cheer up Devil, it always seems that when something bad like this happens, fate picks up the slack within a few months (if not sooner).  I wouldn't be surprised if something bigger and better is just around the corner.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 05:22:29 PM »

I feel for you dude.  I was laid off for 6 months the first time, went back to work on a long-term assignment for a year, and then was let go when the project was complete.  It took me 3 months after that to find the job I have now, which is thankfully permanent.

Keep your head up.  You'll find something!

Glycerine

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 09:59:51 PM »

Thanks guys!!  biggrin

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 11:26:38 PM »

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll find something new.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.

And, hopefully, you bought a copy of World of Warcraft or some suitably engrossing game recently, and you now have tons of time to play it.  Use it.  If you haven't gotten one, go out right now and buy a good video game, before the money gets tight!
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 02:04:33 AM »

Why don't you look into a tech position at Harvard?  I can personally vouch for the dire need of more tech-minded people (and gamers, for that matter) at the School of Public Health.  What part of Boston do you live in?

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 02:15:41 AM »

Sorry to hear that, but I couldn't resist:

Did your company hire someone in a Santa outfit to go around to the people they were laying off, hand them their "You're Fired!" papers, and say, "Ho ho ho, MEEEERRY CHRISTMAS!"?

That's what I would have done.

(Who the hell fires someone right before the holidays?  I mean...how shitty can you be??)
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 03:04:07 AM »

At least you can take solace in the fact that Nomar Garciaparra is still gainfully employed.  Tongue

Really, that sucks Devil. I hope you find a new job quickly. And I hope your previous employer goes bankrupt.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 04:02:05 AM »

Balshazaar - I'll definitely look into it. Do you work there? I'm outside of Boston (Billerica), but not opposed to going back in there to work again if need be.

GA - Nomar played shitty, bitched a lot, turned down 15M a year and made out a lot better than me. Oh, the irony!  biggrin  As for the company I came from, it won't be long before they are all done. HORRIBLE business decisions followed by layoffs almost every quarter for the last 3 years isn't a recipe for success. Lost their biggest client and now it looks like #2 is next. There's not much time left as it is.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 04:09:51 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Balshazaar - I'll definitely look into it. Do you work there? I'm outside of Boston (Billerica), but not opposed to going back in there to work again if need be.

Nope, I'm a student.  A technophile in a sea of technophobes.  They've had some turnover in the IT department recently.  Of course, there are parts of Harvard that are probably closer to you than HSPH.

GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
The swift hand of layoffs slapped me in the face today. Nice timing too  :roll:

If anyone in the Boston area has any leads for tech support/customer service/account management  jobs - I'm your man!

Thanks!

Dude, you had to know the devil(haha) was gonna get his after giving yall the World Series.  

But seriously....that's just crap.  Laying off ppl 2 weeks before Christmas.  A-holes.  Just look at it as an extended holiday vacation, take a few weeks to relax, and then get back at it.  I hope it all works out for ya.

I had one...
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 07:29:59 AM »

Sorry to hear that Devil but I can sympathize. I was fired from my job two weeks ago and it was completely unexpected. The reasons were pretty benign too so I think it had more to do with freeing up an office and cutting back on some salary. It sucked at the time but we're doing pretty good right now financially and I am enjoying the time off, especially since it's the holidays. I'm going to take advantage of unemployment in the meantime and I have a few good leads on some jobs, so something will work out.

Hang in there and definitely take advantage of the free time while you have it. smile
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 07:32:25 AM »

Good luck Devil!

How does this work again?
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 02:39:33 PM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
(Who the hell fires someone right before the holidays?  I mean...how shitty can you be??)

I used to think that (and I still do) but now I know WHY it happens.  It's all about next year's budget.  You're not in it so they have to get your ass out the door before January 1.

Still sucks, though.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 07:28:56 PM »

Not too shocked at the cuts being now, I mean, it's only been 3 months since the last layoff so they were due!  :wink:

Getting everything in order to lower expenses and sell/close down the whole place, so I'm probably better off.

Thanks again for the encouragement from everyone!!!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 07:40:15 PM »

Good luck, Devil.  Maybe that'll give you more time to polish your ESPN NHL skillz!   :twisted:

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 01:45:52 AM »

Good luck Devil - sorry to hear that happened.  frown  

Perhaps the three Spirits of X-Mas will visit each of your former bosses and kick them in the nuts Ninja Style.  (One can dream you know.)
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 02:10:15 AM »

Quote from: "deadzone"

Perhaps the three Spirits of X-Mas will visit each of your former bosses and kick them in the nuts Ninja Style.  (One can dream you know.)

I don't think ninjas kick people in the nuts, so I don't know if there's a nut-kicking ninja style.  Ninjas are more about the knife-in-the-back or poisoning-while-they're-asleep style.  And that might be more satisfying for Devil, anyways.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 03:22:02 AM »

Knives, nut-kicking, anything will do! biggrin

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 01:11:47 PM »

Hey -

Just saw this news.

frown

Do not worry my friend... I am doing the following to help you from Philly:

1) Sending out positive vibes in your name that will, much like karma, come back twofold on you in a positive way.

2) Praying for the Devil family.

3) Erecting a totem in my office to the labor gods to shine upon you.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 02:31:18 PM »

Quote from: "El Guapo"
Quote from: "deadzone"

I don't think ninjas kick people in the nuts, so I don't know if there's a nut-kicking ninja style.  Ninjas are more about the knife-in-the-back or poisoning-while-they're-asleep style.  And that might be more satisfying for Devil, anyways.

I don't know about kicking but there was a move called "monkey steals the peach" which basically involves dropping to a crouch, grabbing and pulling straight down until "they" detach.  I think I would rather be kicked any time Tongue

Anyway good luck Devil.  You will probably wind up with a better job anyway when this is all over and eventually be glad it happened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: