http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:45:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detroit Zoo  (Read 1144 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »

Yesterday was not the best weather for the zoo.  But.  I had the day off.  and The Gf was here with her son. (5)  Rain was listed as 50% but it had rained all moring, i checked the weather thing, and it looked clear..smile  so we went.  it was a bit chilly, and he had never been, so it turned out pretty nice.

I posted the pics in my blog.  http://www.myspace.com/trink101  here are a couple to give ya a hint of whats in there though.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »

sweet!  they got a war rhino!  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »

Nice pics! The Detroit Zoo is pretty cool. Last time I went there was 2 summers ago. I learned that if you go in the summer, go in the morning, else all the animals are finding the coolest, out-of-the-way spots to do nothing but veg out, heh.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »

if anyone did check out the ones on my blog, I think my fave is the chimp sleeping against the glass.  I tryed so hard to get the glare from the lights in there to disappear, and the only shot that came out had a reflection of my leg in the pic..frown

Its best to go in the srping when its Cool.  the animals are VERy active.  its spring.....and cool enough for most of them to be out and about, and not hiding.

we missed the lions TWO times, being VERY vocal.

the gorilla sat there for awhile and watched us, which Alec repeatedly waved and said hello.  at one point the gorilla short of shook its head, and opened its mouth and snapped it shut.

*edit*

When we walked over.  I had alec sitting on my shoulders, and he was wearing a yellow hoodie.  It did NOT make the rhino happy.  While there was a LARGE gap between the wall and his enclosure, he was MORE than happy to test its boundaries.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:25:45 PM by GGMark » Logged
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:37:21 PM »

No penguin house!?!  That's by far my favorite exhibit there.  ('Course I haven't been there in 20 years, so the penguins could be long-gone.)

When I went to the zoo in Singapore, they also had penguins.  I was surprised to find out there are penguins at the equator.  Of course, they also had a separate area of the zoo for exotic foreign animals like racoons, chickens, and cows. smile  The kangaroos and tapirs were pretty neat.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »

I think it's great that the government of Detroit cares enough to keep these animals safe by placing them safely away from the average citizen...   Tongue

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »

I haven't been to the Detroit Zoo in three or four years.  I still love going.  Is the butterfly and humming bird house still getting worse.  frown  It was the absolute best when it first started and then they let it go.  Back in the day, I could have sat in there all day with pen and pad of paper and just wrote while watching the butterflies and hummingbirds...  And did occasionally I did.  It was such a perfect exhibit and habitat.

This year we, in lieu of company picnic, we will be making a company outing to either the Detroit or the Toledo Zoo.  I think it has something to do with our "green" initiative for the year or something.

Quote from: The Meal on May 13, 2008, 02:37:21 PM

No penguin house!?!  That's by far my favorite exhibit there.  ('Course I haven't been there in 20 years, so the penguins could be long-gone.)

When I went to the zoo in Singapore, they also had penguins.  I was surprised to find out there are penguins at the equator.  Of course, they also had a separate area of the zoo for exotic foreign animals like racoons, chickens, and cows. smile  The kangaroos and tapirs were pretty neat.

I am a huge fan of penguins.  They have been my favoritest of all animals since I was very young.  The penguin house in Detroit sadly was also beginning to suffer the last time I went, but only mildly.  I hope it's seen a turnaround.

It's funny how all we ever see are the frigid living penguins.  Some of the "warm weather" penguins have even made it past the equator and into the northern hemisphere of their own accord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galapagos_Penguin

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »

Did you go to the kangaroo exhibit, where you actually walk through it? That was pretty cool I thought. Of course, as I said, all the kangaroos were sleeping pretty much, but if they were active I would think that'd be a good experience. Here's what it looked like when we went there.

And I wonder if this is the same rhino as yours.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 13, 2008, 02:37:21 PM

They're still there, and it's a nice exhibit. But it's hard to take decent pics through the glass. For example, a pic my brother took (sorry, Mark, don't mean to co-opt your thread for my zoo photos, lol):
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 03:12:55 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 13, 2008, 03:03:27 PM

This kangaroo looks like he had a bad day.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »

Other guys that I could watch all day hope are still there (Mark...)

The Red Pandas were the best.  I want a pair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Panda

I totally fell in love when I first saw them a Detroit Zoo.  I think spent about two hours in front of their habitat.

The Zoo says they still have them if their page is updated...

http://www.detroitzoo.org/Animals/Notebook-Mammals/Red_panda/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »

zoo animals always look so sad.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »

the red panadas are still there, we saw them briefly on our way to the tigers.  THis was my first trip to the zoo with a  year old.  which was a experiment in patience all in itself..smile  penguins still there as well.  We did m miss the kangaroos as it had sarted to rain when we got around to the polar exhibit, so we tried to kina rush up front..frown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: