http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Retirement for Veterans  (Read 29311 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: December 29, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on December 26, 2012, 07:54:42 PM

It does seem wrong to not have the Marines represented there after all these years  ninja

yeah, especially when you have 75% of your service with them. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »

Welcome to your first full day as a retiree.   Feel free to yell at some kids to get off of your lawn.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 15, 2013, 08:28:13 PM

Welcome to your first full day as a retiree.   Feel free to yell at some kids to get off of your lawn.

well, he already lobbed a meteor at Russia, so I think he might be getting bored biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »

Now I'm going to have to add a walker to that photo of Kato. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 15, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »

frown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:47 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 15, 2013, 09:30:24 PM

frown

Missing it?

Old friend had his ceremony today, felt really jealous. I am trying to plan when to do mine. Probably not this year, but early next. Don't think I will miss it once I make the decision, unless I can't get a job. :-)
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:56 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 15, 2013, 10:43:47 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 15, 2013, 09:30:24 PM

frown

Missing it?

Old friend had his ceremony today, felt really jealous. I am trying to plan when to do mine. Probably not this year, but early next. Don't think I will miss it once I make the decision, unless I can't get a job. :-)

Hell yes I do.  I don't really understand it, I am actually quite depressed as of late.  I'm barely even playing videogames, which is very alarming lol.  I just think I may have to find something to focus on.

Semper Fidelis

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:22 AM »

Do you have plans or a goal to work towards? What do you miss?

Been asking myself a lot of questions as I try to figure out what to do, which is what stopped me from pulling the trigger (currently approved to retire 1Nov, but not going to do it). I feel like I need to have more of a plan before I can do it, otherwise I will just regret it in the long run.

Still, I can't wait for the day that I am done. It's scary, but it will be like a new life.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2013, 04:16:06 AM »

Lee,

All I'm really doing is finishing up at my local college so I can finally get a degree. Also working out twice a day just to get back into shape. But other than that, got nothing going on.

As for what I miss in the military, I think I miss the structure the most. I always had somewhere to go, somebody to train, something to do. Now? Not so much. Sure I will miss my military friends and will keep in touch but its not the same being on the outside.
Hindsight is 20/20 but I really should have prepared myself for this day a lot more. Feel a bit lost and useless.
Now I understand all the stories of career salty dogs dying a few years into retirement.

Anyways I'll get over it. Good luck with your upcoming retirement Lee and I hope nothing but the best for your future.

Semper Fi

Semper Fidelis

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2013, 06:35:10 AM »

Sorry to hear things are getting you down, Kato. Here's hoping you can get it turned around. Let us know if there's anything any of us can do to help.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 16, 2013, 04:16:06 AM

Lee,

All I'm really doing is finishing up at my local college so I can finally get a degree. Also working out twice a day just to get back into shape. But other than that, got nothing going on.

As for what I miss in the military, I think I miss the structure the most. I always had somewhere to go, somebody to train, something to do. Now? Not so much. Sure I will miss my military friends and will keep in touch but its not the same being on the outside.
Hindsight is 20/20 but I really should have prepared myself for this day a lot more. Feel a bit lost and useless.
Now I understand all the stories of career salty dogs dying a few years into retirement.

Anyways I'll get over it. Good luck with your upcoming retirement Lee and I hope nothing but the best for your future.

Semper Fi

Can't find a job? I am hearing mixed stuff, I have friends that have walked into great jobs, and others who can't find anything. Right now it sucks because they aren't hiring for civil service, and with our government at a stand still on the budget, they may start cutting contractors. I am hoping that since I am not tied down to any one area that will increase my odds.

I can understand about missing it. I think I will too once I am out, but right now the thought of it sounds great. I am sure the grass is always greener though.

I don't have a degree either (well an associates, but that doesn't count), and while I could get it done before I have to get out, it looks like too much stuff is going to get in the way. I am really thinking of just getting out to become a full time student, between retirement (maybe some disability) and the GI Bill it seems feasible.

I spend about 80% of my free time thinking about this right now (very stressed), so I am very curious to see how it's going for others. Thanks for kind wishes, and the same to you. Hope things get better.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2013, 07:53:39 PM »

I overestimated my ability to make a smooth transition.  I thought I could just roll with it like I had done with everything else in my life.  It took me about 2-3 years to really accept that I was a civilian, and to be ok with it.  That's not to say I was a failure during that time, my first job after the Corps was good, it was more the emotional reality that I was no longer a Marine that hit me the hardest.  Sure, once a Marine always a Marine, but it's different as a civilian.  Being a Marine was my indentity, 24/7.  It was a calling for me.  There aren't many occupations out there where you are your job, if that makes sense.  I really underestimated how tough it would be to let most of that go, and be ok with it.

For me it was accepting doing a job to provide for my family versus doing a job that was a calling, that served almost as a label.  It's hard to replicate that feeling.  What helped me was meeting other veterans who were in the same position I was in, or who had been through that transition.  It's also how I got my first job, a veteran Marine was the hiring manager for a veterans hiring program for that company.  They were looking for first and middle level leaders that already had proven leadership experience that they could teach the business.  It was an awesome experience for me.  Like a real world crash course welcome to the business world.  

My biggest recommendation is to hook up with other veterans, get plugged into those communities locally.  Many, many veterans are hiring managers or in positions where they know hiring managers.  Both jobs I've had since I left the Corps were 100% a result of running into a vet who happened to be the hiring manager.  It makes a big difference.  They don't need a translation of the DD214, they already know the value of your service, and they also understand how long the transition really takes.  

Fast forward to today, and while I miss the culture and the community, and some of the excitement, I appreciate not having to deploy all the time.  I don't miss the constant seperation, or living in the sand, or the dirt.  I've been able to see major milestones in my kids development that I know I would've missed.  The biggest thing was I had to be at peace with not being a war fighter, not being the tip of the spear.  I had to accept that my contributions are different now.  I'm raising and developing my kids, I'm doing my part to help grow our economy, I'm trying to help in my community, all of which help the country on some small level.  It's not as sexy as launching out of the back of an underway ship at night, but there are guys who are much younger than me that can do that now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:58:26 PM by Roguetad » Logged
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »

Roguetad,
Hey thanks brother on your advice and experience in this matter. Your thoughts on retiring mirror my own. I thought this transition would be a piece of cake. I'm pretty well setup financially and I don't have to work for the rest of my life to live comfortably, but I'm 100% sure that will drive me crazy.

Semper Fidelis

Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 17, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »

I retired from the Air Force on 1 Sept 12, and was exceptionally lucky to transition directly to a civilian job in a medium-security prison on 4 Sept 12.  The best part is that the civilian position pays more than what I was making as an E-7.  Combine that with my retirement check, and I'm clearing very low six-figures gross pay.  I haven't looked back since.

Makes me and my girlfriend happy campers. smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 17, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 17, 2013, 07:10:08 PM

I'm pretty well setup financially and I don't have to work for the rest of my life to live comfortably, but I'm 100% sure that will drive me crazy.

I could totally help you with this. I'm willing to set up the Kato Scholarship for ATB's Kids Fund to put some more pressure on you and get you motivated...slywink
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2013, 03:47:04 AM »

I have no idea what you guys are directly going through, but I have Mass Respect. I do know what it's like to define life by occupation and then have it suddenly altered. You *can* find it even in civilian life if you follow a passion. Best of luck to you and take care.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »

Joining you guys. I was staying in for the tuition assistance, but since we lost that, I applied for retirement on 1 Mar 14. With leave and permissive I will be done mid-late November. Heading back to WA and going to be a full time student living off the GI Bill and my retirement. It's going to be tight, but manageable. I am scared as hell, but for the first time in I don't know how long, I am excited about the future. I have been so stressed about this, it feels good to finally have a plan.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:04 AM »

Congrats and condolences on your upcoming retirement Lee. I start school in April using my G.I. bill for the first time, and I'm probably going to be the oldest dude in the class slywink

Out processing is a pain, but I do like that most if the briefs will be very informative to make the transition easier. Did you clear CIF yet? That place is the devil's warehouse.

Semper Fidelis

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 14, 2013, 12:34:33 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 14, 2013, 12:15:04 AM

I start school in April using my G.I. bill for the first time, and I'm probably going to be the oldest dude in the class slywink

just remember to wear what all the cool kids are wearing nowadays and you'll be fine:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 14, 2013, 03:49:31 AM »

More like:

And congrats, Lee. Thank you for your service.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2013, 03:51:42 AM »

More like:

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 14, 2013, 04:07:29 AM »

More like:

Tongue
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 14, 2013, 05:41:50 AM »

Quote from: ATB on March 14, 2013, 04:07:29 AM

More like:

Tongue

LMAO LOL LOL LOL

Semper Fidelis

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 14, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 14, 2013, 12:15:04 AM

Congrats and condolences on your upcoming retirement Lee. I start school in April using my G.I. bill for the first time, and I'm probably going to be the oldest dude in the class slywink

Out processing is a pain, but I do like that most if the briefs will be very informative to make the transition easier. Did you clear CIF yet? That place is the devil's warehouse.

You will probably be surprised by how many classes you Aren't the oldest dude in the class. smile Probably will be for the most basic courses, but, when I went back to school in 2003 most of my classes had at least a couple people older than myself.

Just look at it as an opportunity to share your real life experience with the other students.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »

Yeah.  They'll need someone to show them proper binge drinking and keg stand techniques.  These aren't hardened soldiers, you know.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 14, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »

Thanks Kato. My mind is completely else where at work. Really ready to be done. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with a CIF, I have a desk job, so nothing to turn in.

Trying to figure out what school right now, and where exactly. Thinking maybe DeVry, since they are a Yellow Ribbon school and will take some of my military stuff. But they have 3 different finance majors. So much to do and decide, I am used to decisions being made for me, it's an odd feeling.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 15, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »

DeVry is a private for profit school it is very expensive; its where I got my degree.  The draw for me was the online/campus hybrid classes in the evening.  I worked full time and went to school full time so I did complete a four year degree in 2 years and 10 months at three semesters/year 14 - 24 credit hours per semester.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »

Joined you retired guys today. Had a little ceremony, got a bunch of letters from ex-presidents, and even a signed letter from Arsene Wenger, Arsenal's manager. Feels pretty good to be done.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:57:28 PM by Lee » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 14, 2013, 01:53:32 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 13, 2013, 10:46:52 PM

Joined you retired guys today. Had a little ceremony, got a bunch of letters from ex-presidents, and even a signed letter from Arsene Wenger, Arsenal's manager. Feels pretty good to be done.
Congrats Lee!  Thanks for your service.  You can now start an exciting new career with XCOM.  Don't worry, it's much safer than what you were probably doing.       
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 14, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »

SHIELD is recruiting too.

Congrats and condolences Lee. Try to enjoy your retirement before you get that itch to try and do something for the sake of being busy.
Thank you for your honorable service and good luck on your new chapter in life.

Semper Fidelis

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »

Thanks guys. Probably don't need any condolences Kato, I was ready to get out. Who knows, maybe in a few months I will miss it, but right now it feels pretty dang good.

I should probably get back into gaming with all the free time I am going to have until school starts. Old coworker is trying to convince me to get back into WoW...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »

Veterans here, a quick question. My last active duty day is tomorrow, and I didn't get my last paycheck. Doing a search online, it seems the last paycheck gets delayed. How long did it take to get it? Not in dire of need of it, just don't like the feeling of not having money coming in for short term.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 28, 2014, 12:30:28 AM »

Lee for me it took a month and a half. But after that initial delay the retirement pay should be paid out like clockwork.

Semper Fidelis

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 28, 2014, 12:40:38 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 28, 2014, 12:30:28 AM

Lee for me it took a month and a half. But after that initial delay the retirement pay should be paid out like clockwork.

Yikes, didn't think it would be that long. Thanks for the info, spending lock down started.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 28, 2014, 01:47:02 AM »

Neither did I, but luckily I always have a healthy savings just in case. Just asked my friend who just retired and it took a 27 days until the pay kicked in.
You have a good chance that yours will kick in April 1st. I retired Feb 14, 2013 and received first check by the first of April.
I believe you're retiring at the best time (last day of the month)

Semper Fidelis

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2014, 04:28:25 PM »

Good to hear, thanks Kato.

Have to go get my retired ID today. Such a weird feeling.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 28, 2014, 04:28:25 PM

Good to hear, thanks Kato.

Have to go get my retired ID today. Such a weird feeling.
Thanks for your service Lee.  Congratulations.  It's going to feel weird for awhile...but good.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 28, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »

Thanks Roguetad. I just need school to start up, not having a purpose everyday starts to drag on.

Went out to the local naval station, and I can't get my ID without my 214. But my 214 hasn't been approved yet, the website says it's approved and signed, yet its not. The call center wasn't much help. I keep thinking I am glad I won't have to deal with this stuff much longer, and then I remember its only going to be worse with the VA.
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 02, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 16, 2013, 04:16:06 AM

Lee,

Semper Fi

I retired in Sept 2012 after 22 years in the Air Force.  I feel your pain.  I STILL miss the structure.  Adjusting to life in corporate America has been difficult to say the least.  Most of the people I've met in civilian jobs have been less than trustworthy and lacking in even basic leadership skills...very frustrating to start at the bottom again.

The check every month is nice, though. smile
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: