http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:30:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Den of Geek Article: Akira at 25  (Read 198 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »

Hard to imagine that Akira is now 25 years old,actually its not that hard for me because although Akira was released in July 1988,it wasn't until the early 90s it was released in the UK,i bought my original VHS copy maybe 1993-4 ish which is when i first saw it

Here is the Den of Geek Article,with the closing paragraphs quoted below

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/akira/26176/akira-at-25

In some ways, it anticipates the overstuffed plots of modern superhero movies and thrillers, which are often overflowing with a similar range of intersecting plotlines and characters - actually, there are quite a few parallels between Akiraís structure and something like The Dark Knight Rises. But like those sorts of films, itís also enough to simply sit back and let the filmís events wash over you. Cease to worry overly about the political intrigue and back story, and youíre free to appreciate the extraordinary quality of Akiraís music and imagery.

And what music and imagery there is. No other science fiction film looks quite so distinctive or detailed as Akira, and its depiction of a believable city makes it a clear relation to Metropolis and Blade Runner, and as artistically important as either. Although recognisably modelled on the Tokyo of the 1980s financial bubble, itís also an entirely other place from Otomoís imagination, full of walkways and suspended roads, searchlights and vast structures.

Twenty-five years on, and Akira still has the power to enthral and mesmerise. Itís telling that Otomo, although still working and producing great work, has never attempted to make anything on its scale again. And maybe thatís just as well. Unsullied by sequels or prequels - even the long-threatened US live-action remake hasnít materialised at the time of writing - Akira stands alone as a unique piece of animated science fiction.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »

glad that he didn't attempt a sequel.  if Ridley Scott and the rest would only let Blade Runner have the same rest.  Akira was my first real exposure to anime, outside of the saturday morning variants

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »

I wouldn't have minded a retelling of the story to bring it more in line with the graphic novel. They differ dramatically, with the latter having a far more interesting story than the former.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 01, 2013, 04:13:01 PM

I wouldn't have minded a retelling of the story to bring it more in line with the graphic novel. They differ dramatically, with the latter having a far more interesting story than the former.

Same guy though,and similar artwork right?,I need to get the 6 volumes,was looking on Amazon this morning to see how much they were(roughly a tenner each)

And the movie that was going about a year or two ago was saying they would do Volume 1,2 and 3 in the first film and Volume 4,5 and 6 in the second film
Instead of trying to cram all of 2,000 plus pages of the Akira manga epic into two hours, Warner Bros. is planning on releasing the film in two parts. Each part would cover three volumes of the manga.

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/off-topic/akira-movie/

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:49:55 AM »

'Akira' is 25 years old?!! Damn, I'm getting old!  icon_eek
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 01, 2013, 07:45:05 PM

Same guy though,and similar artwork right?,I need to get the 6 volumes,was looking on Amazon this morning to see how much they were(roughly a tenner each)

Same guy, same artwork. The movie took the basic premise of the manga and changed it to work better in the movie format. Huge plot points were dropped entirely, and the climax presents a different message to the viewer. The movie is almost its own, separate story.

Akira is the only manga I've ever been able to appreciate. I hate manga, so that's saying a lot. I have all 6 books and have read them multiple times, discovering new things every time.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 02, 2013, 07:19:35 AM

Akira is the only manga I've ever been able to appreciate. I hate manga, so that's saying a lot.

That's interesting because it was Akira that got me into Manga,Patlabor 1 and 2,Golgo 13,Ghost in the Shell,Fist of the North Star all followed Akira for me....been quiet for a few years though now

I listed Ghost in the Shell,and i do like that film and have it on DVD however,its the one film i fell asleep at when i saw it at the cinema,LOL..i have never done that for any other film

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »

Due to having a girlfriend that was a film critic at the time, I got to watch Akira in the prescreening and got a free ticket to the opening show.  I liked it during the prescreening, but I'll never forget the crowd response at the opener. With just about everyone attending having never seen an animated feature of it's quality before, people literally cheered and hollered at the conclusion. It's still the only anime feature in my city to this day that's had a decent theatrical run.

It's far from my favorite anime, although its still one of my favorite for the quality of animation and  sound. I've always felt the story becomes disjointed and the conclusion seems to drag on too much. The manga is pricey in my city as far as Manga go, so I've never picked it up. The public library just added it to their collection though, so it sounds like I should put it on my reading list.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »

I've always meant to check out the books.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: