http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 08:55:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DELL IS THE WORST  (Read 2454 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2006, 02:33:35 PM »

I made a mistake that was against my better judgement, I knew this crap would happen.

I was in a bind and Dell was the only manufacturer that could get me a laptop in time.

They sent it, without any damn CD's so I have no disc for the operating system I paid for.

I am now on my third person at Dell to obtain the CD"s and they are all speaking with such a THICK INDIAN accent that its hard for me to understand them, the last guy I was so frustrated I asked for someone on American Soil whom I can understand.

Linksys has also started this debacle. Indians reading off scripts.....

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:02:46 PM »

I used Dell's online chat when I got my last maching and explained that I wanted the cd of the OS so I could reformat. At first they tried to explain how this could be done from a partition that held the entire image by the click of a button. I said no, I want that space and a clean install from me. They understood and sent a OS cd. Maybe the online chat is the way to go.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 05:20:11 PM »

I had a whole thread I started on Gamers With Jobs describing in detail my year of going through Dell Hell when I tried purchasing an LCD tv from them, went through two bad units, and then decided I was done and wanted to just get a refund.  I'm still trying to clear my credit report of all the "overdue charges" they put on there and have yet to clear due to their screw-up.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 05:27:14 PM »

They have beautiful LCD's

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »

They will send the cd's - you just need to ask.

2 Dell laptops at work here, and they sent 2 cd sets...yes it is annoying to have to ask after the fact though.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 06:05:38 PM »

When you bought it, if you did it online, there is an option to have recovery CD's sent for around $8 or you have to use the recovery partition on the drive.

Blame the vendor because you are apparently incompetent.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 07:13:32 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I am now on my third person at Dell to obtain the CD"s and they are all speaking with such a THICK INDIAN accent that its hard for me to understand them, the last guy I was so frustrated I asked for someone on American Soil whom I can understand.

I don't think their support could be any worse than when Fireball and whiteboyskim worked for 'em.  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »

Maybe so, but I'm on my 3rd 2005FPW and they have me crying, "uncle."  The first two were new and each had defects and then they sent me a refurb that wouldn't even start up.  Gah.  I'm keeping the second one even though it has a flaw in it.  I've wasted too much of my life on their support lines as it is.

I should've done my research better because there are tons of reports of problems with that monitor on the net.  Of course they have no idea what I'm talking about.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 10:56:23 PM »

You know, not sending the OS CD anymore is a huge annoyance to me.

Dell USED TO do it, but they stopped a few years ago.  I have no idea why.  And I absolutely HATE recovery CDs.

I had no idea you could just request it.  Wish I had known that years ago.

Other than that, I've been happy with Dell's laptops for many years, but I don't use them for gaming.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:16:34 PM »

Yes, their customer support had definitely gone down hill.

Not sending CD's is stupid- even HP allows you to make one from their initial set up.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:31 PM »

I have a dell, never had a problem with it.  So I guess I am happy.  Maybe that will change if I have to deal with customer support.

Hope you dont need any help from Gm as most of their support is in India now as well.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 11:29:55 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"

Maybe so, but I'm on my 3rd 2005FPW and they have me crying, "uncle."  The first two were new and each had defects and then they sent me a refurb that wouldn't even start up.  Gah.  I'm keeping the second one even though it has a flaw in it.  I've wasted too much of my life on their support lines as it is.

I should've done my research better because there are tons of reports of problems with that monitor on the net.  Of course they have no idea what I'm talking about.
Myself and 3 other people I know all own the 2005FPW and they have been flawless for all of us.

Heck I've even been thinking of getting a 2nd one.

Also puzzled by everyone elses complaints about Dell, I've been buying nothing but Dells for quite a while now (both for home and work) and have always found their quality and service to be much, much better than any other vendors. Now, granted I'm on a business account that spends a lot of money with Dell so maybe I always get put into a better call center than you.

For example - we just bought a new dell desktop for a remote office that we support. But it was having a couple wonky issues with printing from DOS. Odd stuff that seemed to support the idea that it might be hardware related. We called and opened a ticket. Dell had a service tech out the next day who replaced the motherboard and did a bunch of tests but there was still a little wonkiness. He reported to us that the hard drive was vibrating more than normal (which sounds odd) and recommended that Dell replace the HD (which meant ship the box back to us to re-configure it). We contacted Dell and asked them to just ship us a new system and take that one back, which they did with no hassles at all.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 11:50:53 PM »

I have to deal with Dell Support a lot.  I've never had any trouble with them.  Many times companies don't want to take your word for it when you request a replacement part (since it hasn't been diagnosed by "their guys"), but I usually explain what I did and how I narrowed it down to whatever, and they just next-day ship the replacement part and I ship the old one back.

Now how good they are for non-technical people, I couldn't say.  But I CAN say that phone support with a non-technical person is one of the most difficult and frustrating things ever.
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »

Hmmm, if you can find me a company that can give me value for dollar like Dell, I'd be very interested.  I keep www.thedailydeals.com and a couple of other deal pages handy just to keep an eye on their big electronics sales.  When Dell has their "fire sales," they can't be beat IMHO.  

My wife's laptop is a Dell picked up on a big sale last fall.  Dell ran a slightly better sale within days and the Indian sales rep agreed to drop the price by $100 reflecting the better offer.  That was sweet and they sure didn't have to do that.  My desktop is Dell.  My Canon Powershot was another great Dell deal.  All run/work great and I couldn't be happier.  My next desktop will be a Dell.  

The offshore support is the price of getting a great deal on the hardware.   Still, thats hardly consolation for you.

Saving the world one post at a time.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 01:13:43 AM »

Let me know when Dell makes an AMD system.  Until then, I'll skip 'em.

I build my desktops, but I usually don't recommend Dell systems because of this.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 01:16:41 AM »

Those are Muslims, sucka.  Pretty much the opposites of Indians.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 01:33:32 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Let me know when Dell makes an AMD system.  Until then, I'll skip 'em.

I build my desktops, but I usually don't recommend Dell systems because of this.

Maybe their acquisition of Alienware will allow them to start doing AMD systems.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 04:40:20 AM »

And here I am eyeballing an XPS laptop....Hmmmm

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 01:27:33 PM »

I've owned two Dell pcs for the past two-three years and they have proven to be rock solid performers. That, "solidness," has kept me from having to interact with Dell's customer support and is prompting me to purchase a couple more from Dell in about a month or so.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 03:05:52 PM »

Nothing but goodness here.  Have a Dell Latitude for my work laptop that is nearing the end of its three year lease.  I recently bought a Dell 600M works so well I just bought another for my wife for $544 shipped to me.  Have a dell 1905FP monitor that is the best graphics upgrade I made in a long time.  Have a Dell Axim PDA works and no trouble.

I highly recommend Dell to people.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 03:26:39 PM »

As the guy who does the Dell interface with all the Dell machines here at work and I have dealt with Dell customer support I understand all the comments from good to bad.

If you top of the line unquestioned superb support from Dell then purchase the gold technical support.  With that you call a different support number, you are speaking to Americans and they will treat yo like gold.  They ship parts overnight and usually you get the part the next morning...even when I have called at 3 PM the day before.

Regular support if you purchase no extra support is indeed farmed out to India.  I have mistakenly been shunted to them a couple times before i knew we had gold support with our Dells.  The Indians try hard but they clearly are not empowered to treat you like gold and it is frustrating.  My first experience with that side of support took me to 4 different people and no answers.

Gold technical support has taken my troubleshooting up to that point quickly asked me to anything additional and in many cases just took my troubleshooting results as a given and shipped me parts.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 03:57:12 PM »

Call centers in India are cheap compared to here and thats why compnaies use them.  With VoIP its costs them nothing for the long distance.

The problem is that despite them being able to speak english they do not understand it.  If you get them off their standard script then they are lost.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 07:40:13 PM »

you lost me. slywink

As to the Dell 2005FPW they re-released it recently; see if you can get them to send you a new model.

I had the 2005FPW and it is a nice monitor; the 2405FPW is SO. MUCH. BETTER.

MMmmmm, component in with HDTV native resolutions. biggrin

[edit: typo ]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 04:33:34 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

I don't think their support could be any worse than when Fireball and whiteboyskim worked for 'em.  :wink:

That would be funnier if I actually had worked on the Dell contract.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 05:24:56 AM »

Yea, when I buy this laptop, I'm getting the premium warranty.  That means I get the XPS number.  No Hajji from Johnny's Quest here.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 11:41:17 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
I don't think [Dell's] support could be any worse than when Fireball and whiteboyskim worked for 'em.  :wink:

Aw crap.  Who'd you work for then?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 05:30:12 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
I don't think [Dell's] support could be any worse than when Fireball and whiteboyskim worked for 'em.  :wink:

Aw crap.  Who'd you work for then?

SBC then the AT&T @Home contract. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 03:48:45 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
And here I am eyeballing an XPS laptop....Hmmmm

I love my XPS gen 2 laptop and have had zero problems with it.  I have the version with the 6800Ultra vid card not the newer 7800 one but it plays Oblivion just fine.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 07:02:02 PM »

I'm on my 3rd Dell laptop and wouldn't consider shopping anywhere else for one. I'm one happy camper when it comes to Dell laptops.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 07:19:11 PM »

I got an absolutely ridiculous good deal on an Dimension e510 this weekend, for the wife.  Just in case, I paid the additional $8 for the Windows Installation Disc thingy.  So if something is wrong, I can at least reformat the fucker, the way I want to.

We actually have good experiences with the Indian Tech Support, or the Filipino tech support if you call REALLY late at night.  Granted, our problems were never THAT bad.  And for the most part I can figure out wtf happened without their help.  

Now I'm just sitting and waiting for a decent deal on an XPS 400 to pop up.  Probably unlikely, but come on baby, give me some love!

Just Hiro will do.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »

I forgot to add in my post that my Dell laptop, Inspiron 8600, runs very well.  Playing 3D intesive games like WoW on it for prolonged periods of time causes it to overheat and shut down, but I figured laptops just aren't built to handle that kind of duty.  Luckily I just updated my desktop so I don't use it for that anymore.

As for the 2005FPW it does look great outside of the smudge line in the one I kept.  I'd go with the 2405FPW but pushing that native rez in Oblivion and newer games would probably net me 10 FPS. smile  If they did release a new version of the monitor I should have it as I just finished going through the whole process.

All that said I do know that a lot of people are happy with the monitor.  I just was unlucky and had 3 bad ones in a row.  I imagine I'll get used to the flaw eventually and my brain will filter it out.  Here's a shot of the 1st monitor with the particularly bad case of light bleed:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: