http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:26:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell Axim X50V = My New Toy  (Read 1767 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2005, 04:55:38 PM »

So I purchased a Tungsten T3 from Tim and fell in love with the ability to manage this nutso place remotely.  I convinced my wifey that I wanted to spend some money that I tucked away on a top of the line Dell Axim X50V.  Fast forward a week and the pup arrived on my doorstep yesterday!  I've got a great pic of it surfing the web at the house to be posted later...but hot damn, why did I wait so long?  

Anybody else a mobile user?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 04:59:47 PM »

And now I'm modding myself...this should be in off topic methinks.

Product page: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/axim_x50v?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
Here is a pic from the site:

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 05:52:24 PM »

Work has provided me with a Axim X3 which is used almost exclusively in the can to play freecell.  I want to use mine more but I just don't have that exciting of a schedule.  One meeting a week just doesn't really fill up teh machine.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 05:54:59 PM »

Hahhaha, suppose not.  I have this thing STUFFED with contacts already.  I think a shade over 300 or so and I still have a 4" stack of cards to input.  The task manager gets used quite a bit as well.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 06:40:03 PM »

Now I know how my parents felt when television and transistor radios appeared on the scene, lol...

I'm feeling vaguely overwhelmed and left-behind.  I can't manage to really get into Palm type gadgets - even the little electronic address and phone number keepers.  Those are probably out of date by now, but i got one forever ago and just never used it.  Now - well, for a year or more - I've had a Palm Zire... just can't get into using it.  Maybe i'll try again, but I need either FreeCell (I'm with you Farley... erm, not in the can, but in spirit) or a dictionary on it to have a chance to want to use it much.

I'm really glad you're happy with the new gadget, though Ron!  There is nothing like a new toy to play with, even if it's for work!  :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »

Oooooh no, this isn't for work.  I specificially got it for use with Console Gold. smile  My contact list has become unmanagable via little scraps of hand-scribbled notes. slywink  You are right though, I'm pretty giddy about it.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 07:12:32 PM »

Ron,

I hate to break this to you - but ConsoleGold is "work", lol.

I'd be willing to bet, no matter how much you enjoy it - the rest of us who benefit from CG are having more fun than you are!  :wink:  Certainly, less responsibility!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 07:18:23 PM »

Its true, but I have to admit that I love it...otherwise I wouldn't do it. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 07:28:07 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I hate to break this to you - but ConsoleGold is "work", lol.

Dang, this is work?  I just think it's a lot of fun.  I would LOVE for it to be a full-time job...then it could indeed be work.

As for the toy, that's cool.  I've never really felt a need for one.  If I got one I would probably barely use it simply because the "wow" factor would fade away after a bit and I'd start forgetting to take it with me.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 02:45:53 AM »

Geez, Ron, here I sell you my T|3, and you turn around and buy something from the Pocket PC line of things. biggrin

How you liking it though? Honestly, way back before I purchased my Treo 650, I debated on getting that exact product (as Palm's 'upgrades' from the T|3 were anything but good in my opinion).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 02:55:49 AM »

Yup!  biggrin  Its awesome.  I'll be sending you your payment shortly.  You use paypal?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 03:19:59 AM »

I've had a toshiba e400 for more than a year now.  It was a required purchase for medical school.  

While cool at first, the luster has worn off.  They're just too slow, have difficulty in viewing many web pages, and are just a pain to use.  I only use mine when absolutely neccessary now.  

But at least you're enjoying yours.   :wink:

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 03:46:37 AM »

Oh yea!  Nothing like popping open your Oblivion Q&A on your handheld and knowing that the hard work on proper formatting pays off.  

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 03:48:37 AM »

Now I know how my parents felt when television and transistor radios appeared on the scene, lol...

I'm feeling vaguely overwhelmed and left-behind.  I can't manage to really get into Palm type gadgets - even the little electronic address and phone number keepers.  Those are probably out of date by now, but i got one forever ago and just never used it.  Now - well, for a year or more - I've had a Palm Zire... just can't get into using it.  Maybe i'll try again, but I need either FreeCell (I'm with you Farley... erm, not in the can, but in spirit) or a dictionary on it to have a chance to want to use it much.

I'm really glad you're happy with the new gadget, though Ron!  There is nothing like a new toy to play with, even if it's for work!  :wink:

Don't worry, even at 40 years younger than you (yeah I did the math... involuntarily, I swear!), I can't seem to find a use for those things. I think they're super-cool, and was lusting after the sleek Tungsten T3 once (never liked the design of the T5 though). But the thing is, I never keep contacts, addresses, or tasks. Not even on paper. (As you probably already know biggrin) so a PDA would be completely useless to me, unless it can go online anytime, anywhere (like the Treo 650). But they're not quite there yet, speed-wise and design-wise, IMO at least.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 05:11:29 AM »

Yipes!

Raven VII, do you not know how to do math - or was that a typing error, or a joke?  If I'm 40 years older than you... then you're 12 years of age, lol!  :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 01:52:52 PM »

Don't sweat it.  Sales of PDAs have been dropping for years.  Pretty soon they will be gone.

The thing is phones are now doing more and more of this stuff and people really like that.  Eventually all the stuff that these PDAs do will be wrapped up in the free phone you get when you sign up for a contract.

unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 08:19:27 PM »

I've been waiting for the PDA/Phone/Radio/MP3 Player for years.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 08:37:09 PM »

I honestly don't want a phone.  I really don't want to be that accessable.  I know that is pretty anti-norm but I use my cell at my discretion and mine alone.  I like being able to organize without interruption would be the bottom line I think. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 09:41:22 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I honestly don't want a phone.  I really don't want to be that accessable.  I know that is pretty anti-norm but I use my cell at my discretion and mine alone.

That's just like my mom.  She keeps her cell phone off unless she wants to make a call.  Damn it pisses me off when I REALLY need to call her and knowing that plastic brick is sitting in the bottom of her purse turned off.

I get around the whole "my discretion only" thing because nobody ever calls me anyway. :cry:  

Hey, it's your phone do whatever you like.  I bought one for emergencies, not to be on the elecric leash.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »

I have an Axim X3, and it sits in a box at home waiting for me to eBay it.  Nice enough device, but it was to big and after the lustre wore off, I stopped carrying it around.  I always carried my cell phone, and another device to bring just wasn't worth it.  After using Palm devices on and off, the Windows devices like the Axim just were fairly clunky at times.  Nice ideas, and lots of flash features, but they just weren't as smooth as could be.

Currently I've been using this for the past month+, and love it:

Since it is my phone, I always have it, which makes a difference.  The keyboard also is tremendously better then graffiti, or jot, or whatever.  I can navigate the system with just the cursor control as well, which is nice.  If i want, I have full access anywhere to the web as well.  Slick device.  PDAs really are dead, smart phones are the wave of the future.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »

I just wish I made enough or had good enough credit to afford something like that. biggrin
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 01:22:39 PM »

After using Palm devices on and off, the Windows devices like the Axim just were fairly clunky at times. Nice ideas, and lots of flash features, but they just weren't as smooth as could be.

I found the opposite to be true.  I found the Palm OS to be rather clunky.  You say Tomato, I say big red fruit that tastes good with salt on it. (I take the long route)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »

I found the opposite to be true. I found the Palm OS to be rather clunky. You say Tomato, I say big red fruit that tastes good with salt on it. (I take the long route)

Cool, glad you like it.  I was really impressed with the Windows setup for a while.  Lots of colors, buttons, etc.  Multitasking that worked fairly well.  But then when I just wanted to use the system, and do PDA things, the Windows device wasn't as slick.  The OS was to heavy to quickly pull up the calender, or I had to get a free utility to close applications at times.  The overall flow of the Windows setup wasn't quite as slick.  There still aren't as many third party apps for the Windows devices either.  

It seems that the Windows venders, in order to compensate for the OS, continue to increase the power of the devices, which doesn't help making the devices smaller, or making the batteries last longer.  

The Palm stuff looks simpler, but it just works so efficiently for me.  To each his own.  I think the biggest difference is having the dedicated keyboard though, and not having to write on the device.  And being able to do anything with one hand with the cursor key, and not taking out the pen.  That is pretty huge as well.  I didn't realize how big a difference having a keyboard on the device is, until I got one.

---
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 04:16:07 PM »

Yea, I'm picking up the keyboard this week.  The objective is to carry this instead of my 9lb laptop to class.  My shoulder would cry a tear of relief...you know, if it had eyes.   Cool

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 04:39:55 PM »

I never really thought a 9lb laptop vs a 5lb one was a big deal reading specs, then I started hauling them around the past couple years.  What a huge difference, I don't blame you not wanting to take it around.  I don't have a laptop now though, kind of miss it, but they don't give them out at the new job.

The high res screen on the new Axim's look pretty nice.  Looks like a fun device if you take it with you and use it all the time smile.  There are some pretty cool Windows CE phones coming out down the road as well, so in a couple years maybe you'll ugprade to one of those.  I need to have my phone with me all the time these days, with 2 kids and a wife needing access.  

What apps are you using on the Axim?

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 04:43:59 PM »

Ron, what settings do you use for your internet browser?  Are you using the default IE that comes with it or a custom browser?

I've had a helluva time finding a good setup to comfortably read web pages on my HP but that Oblivion Q&A screenshot looked like it works well for ou.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 04:55:38 PM »

Its the default IE.  Because our site is CSS Strict, any articles or reviews can be easily formatted to a mobile format.  Eldon plans ahead. slywink

What apps are you using on the Axim?

I've got a couple right now that I find useful.  I've got a wireless network sniffer that allows me to do router analysis.  Right now I see an unlocked Cisco router from where I sit at my desk.  

I've also got a map pack program but I've not tried it out yet.

Know of any good place to get good apps / games for the thing?  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 05:00:13 PM »

Thanks Ron.  I'll have to try bringing up CG and see how well it works.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 07:11:32 PM »

Handango and Pocketgear are two sites for the more mainstream apps, and demos.  Pocketgear has more freeware there.  Aximsite has good forums where I found out about most of the cool apps and games.

If I think of any more I'll let you know.

---
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: