http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:30:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell assimilates Alienware  (Read 868 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:49:16 PM »

http://www.alienware.com/Intro_Pages/aw_announcement.aspx

Dell Inc., the world's largest computer maker, said Wednesday it would buy Alienware Corp., whose high-ends PCs are widely acclaimed by video gamers for their fast performance and sleek, UFO-themed looks.
Dell, based in Round Rock, Texas, didn't announce terms of the deal. Dell said Alienware would operate as a wholly owned subsidiary and will keep its brand name and its own product development, marketing, sales, technical support and other operations.

Miami-based Alienware was founded in 1996 by Nelson Gonzalez and Alex Aguila, two childhood friends. They will continue to run the company as a standalone unit of Dell, Dell said.

So why did Alienware make such a deal with Dell? According to what Agulia told us, he and Alienware President Nelson Gonzales started the company ten years ago for about $10,000 and as he put it, "The original $10,000 has taken us about as far as we can go." Agulia said that the purchase by Dell will allow Alienware to grow and improve in ways that the founders could not do. However, Alienware will remain a separate entity with Agulia and Gonzales remaining as part of the leaders of the company that no internal changes are being made. There was some speculation that Dell might force Alienware to stop selling PCs with AMD processors but as Agulia told us, "Alienware will continue to sell AMD based PCs". Agulia also told us that Dell has no plans to discontinue their XPS gaming PC line.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 01:00:40 AM »

My heart sunk at the rumors over this since my last 7 computers were Alienware and I've always been impressed with them and the incredible level of support they've provided over the years. Last thing I wanted to know was that Dell was going to purchase them and I would have the mediocre level of technical support from Dell.

So I was happy when I got to the annoucement Dell is going to keep things as is. Hopefully that'll stick several years down the road when I'm ready to get another compuer.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 01:47:39 AM »

Jesus Crawley. I'm gonna start calling you Moneybags Mac'Gee.

You know you can build a computer for anywhere from half to a fourth of the cost alienware charges for the same exact hardware?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:26:34 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

You know you can build a computer for anywhere from half to a fourth of the cost alienware charges for the same exact hardware?

My last Alienware I bought a few years ago I did a part-by-part breakdown. No, it was not twice or four times the cost for the exact same hardware. Yes, it was more, but after you factor in the warranty and support, it is not that bad considering the hassle you go through when building your own.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 02:39:21 PM »

NO GOOD CAN COME FROM THIS

Have you used Dells Tech Support???? Your speaking to Bangledesh... and they are reading from a script...

Sure, they wont change right NOW.. lets see 3 years from now...

Well... we are off to Voodoo then eh?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 02:44:55 PM »

I like that handle.

This is purchasing Alienware computers over many years (basically from the launch of the company) and with two incomes here from dedicated gamers.

We also have no interest in building our own. I did play the game early on when income was much tighter and often was frustrated with the process of combinding different hardware and getting them to work together. So we are paying a bit of a premium to not have to deal with that. We get a fully working computer delivered to us, ready to go, on day 1 that will play the latest and greatest for quite some time. They're also easy to upgrade, which we do when it's obvious we've been left behind. Finally you get the kick ass technical support which has come in very handy the times we've had to use it.

I've always been happy with them and know what I've been buying it too.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 03:10:43 PM »

I agree 100%

I dont have the patience to build my own and deal with the associated headaches.

I have the income, why not? Why should I struggle.. Im running out of the box....

That said, I dont know if I would go ALienware AGAIN. It was a solid machine.... but I would look around.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »

You could get this for only $9,000

http://www.dell.com/html/us/products/renegade/renegade.html

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »

Dell: "We are NOT buying Alienware!"

*buys Alienware*

Dell: "Uh...I'd like to revise our previous statements..."

:roll:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »

Dell rocks.  All my laptops since 2000 have been from Dell, and I have hardly had any problems.  Even dealing with their support isnt too bad (and I've had to quite a bit wherever I work).  Most issues were just a component going bad in a new computer.  Lots of times it's just been a floppy or CD/DVD drive, and they ship out a replacement.  The nice thing is when you have 100 computers sitting there, since it doesnt slow you down.  The only time it's actually annoying is if you hit the unlucky lottery with a solo purchase.

I used to like Compaq, but now that HP assimilated them, they are like the US's answer to Toshiba.  How craptacular.

Anyway, given the really bad reviews Dell's recent "gaming laptop" received, the purchase of Alienware was a great idea if that is a market they want to get in to.  Now that Alienware could benefit from Dell's volume discounts, their prices may go down a bit as well.

If anyone doesn't like the deal, look at it this way: they could have been purchased by Gateway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: