http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:11:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deep Price Cuts Coming for HDTV's?  (Read 2430 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »

So says Gizmodo.  I may have to end up getting a gaming TV for my birthday next month.

HDTV's Will Get Stupid Cheap Next Month
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:03:10 PM »

This would be stupid good news as we're on teh market for a second tv...
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »

Dammit.

XBox Live:  JNacht
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »

Groovy

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »

I've been thinking about replacing my hulking DLP with an LCD, and now may be the time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:34:26 AM »

Perfect timing for this post: I'd been pricing 46" to 52" HDTVs the last few days, thinking that thanks to all those earlier adopters, a thrifty late-adopter could now find a bargain.

The bad thing? I'd have saved even more money if the price never dropped, because I'd never buy an HDTV and so would have saved the entire amount.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »

I thought I'd noticed that the Sony TV's over here in Japan seemed significantly cheaper than they used to be.  A 32" used to be at least $1500 and I noticed that now you can get 37" for about $1400
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »

Interesting....

...on a side note, I feel like I have an unfair advantage playing console MP because the player models are so large compared to TVs that I played on when I was younger.  Go buy a TV and get this leg up on your opponents!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »

And of course I just bought a tv this weekend.  It's a 32" Vizio, though, so I can't imagine that the price would go down much.  They seem to imply the big cuts would come from tvs that cost over $1K.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »

I'm very interested in this. Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking to upgrade my 51" Magnavox 1080i rear-projection HDTV to something of similar size that will do 1080p. My current TV has a nice picture, but it's an older HDTV and I don't think is fully compliant with current HDTV standards. Also, it has only 1 component input, and no HDMI, which sucks.

I had to buy a smaller (26") 720p panel for my bedroom, so I could hookup my 360. I recently got a PS3, and neither it or the 360 will work on my Magnavox. Audio works fine, but I just get a garbled screen for video. After much googling and troubleshooting, it turned out that the Magnavox just doesn't comply with modern HD hardware.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »

Nuts - I just bought a 40" Sony about a month back.  I wonder if the B&M store will work with me on the new prices...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

Quote from: Shinjin on May 01, 2008, 02:48:59 PM

Nuts - I just bought a 40" Sony about a month back.  I wonder if the B&M store will work with me on the new prices...

Best bet is to review the return/price match policies.  Most places will give you a refund w/i a certain time if the price drops.  For the iPhone drops, it was 30 days, which was generous, although not enough for anyone that bought it at launch.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 03:43:02 PM »

Damn, I'll have to keep an eye on this.  I have a 57" RP CRT right now that has a very nice picture, but the vertical viewing angle isn't great, and the cabinet is huge.  I'd love to upgrade to a plasma or LCD if I could find a bigger one (probably aiming at 61") with good black levels for a decent price.  I don't see myself ever going for a TV that involves a bulb that has to be changed, as I put a lot of hours on my set.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to find anything for under $2000 for a while, and besides, I kind of want to hold out for OLED sets to come out and get to reasonable prices.

snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 07:28:47 PM »

Hoping I don't sound dumb, but what is the difference between 1080i and 1080p? I've been waiting for a price drop, don't know much exept what I see in commercials, but would like to get something that's up to date at the time of purchase, and with all the cords and wires I need. Also a good, stable brand if possible. Looking for something from 37" to 40". Also, if I get a 37", do they come only in 720P, and is that good?

The quiet one.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 07:46:03 PM »

Quote from: snoleopard on May 01, 2008, 07:28:47 PM

Hoping I don't sound dumb, but what is the difference between 1080i and 1080p? I've been waiting for a price drop, don't know much exept what I see in commercials, but would like to get something that's up to date at the time of purchase, and with all the cords and wires I need. Also a good, stable brand if possible. Looking for something from 37" to 40". Also, if I get a 37", do they come only in 720P, and is that good?

Gizmodo has a decent write-up about some HDTV myths.

At the size you're looking to buy, you probably won't see the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

The i after 1080i stands for interlaced scan.  The screen draws every other line of the picture on the first pass, and then the remaining on the second, ad naseum.

The p after 1080p stands for Progressive scan.  The screen draws all 1080 lines simultaneously.

Hope that helps.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »

Quote from: snoleopard on May 01, 2008, 07:28:47 PM

Both 1080i and 1080p have 1080 lines of horizontal resolution.  In 1080i, the lines are drawn in interlaced - 540 evenly spaced first, then the other 540 fill in the spaces, so there is potential for jagginess.  1080p the lines are drawn in from top to bottom, so it is smoother. 

720p has less lines of resolution, but it is still good - some people like it better than 1080i because it can be smoother.  Also, on a smaller set, more lines of resolution doesn't make as much difference as on a larger set.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 08:03:30 PM »

Heck with that...did you guys see THIS?!?!? 
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 10:08:10 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on May 01, 2008, 08:03:30 PM

That is FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 10:15:43 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 01, 2008, 10:08:10 PM

That is FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!

I would replace our living room carpeting and install brand-new hardwood floors just so that I could use one of those. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 10:47:32 PM »

Yeah.  That's hot.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »

Thanks for the info on the difference of i and p for HDTV's. Side note, I really want one of those:

The quiet one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 12:33:18 AM »

i....

i love you man....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »

So has anyone seen any overall decline in prices? I've seen the occasional $1000 drop on certain sets  - but I'd seen these sort of price cuts on the $3000 price sets before so I don't put too much weight if a set drops from $4000 to $3000 as I have no intention of getting it at either price.

The tvs I'm interested in would range from $1800 down, approx. 45 '', and while I've seen a $100 price drop here, they appear to be temporary sales - not across the board price declines. Certainly not big ones anyway.

I guess what I'm saying is: what's your impressions? I've saved some BestBuy ads for three or four months and they don't seem to have changed all that much, imo. A temporary $100 drop here or there doesn't feel like "deep price cuts" on sets selling for $1800-$1500.

So when does the sky fall?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:33:21 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 13, 2008, 04:29:52 PM

So has anyone seen any overall decline in prices?

I've saved some BestBuy ads for three or four months and they don't seem to have changed all that much, imo.

Being that the article mentioned that the price cuts were coming this month, I'd say that any old papers would be moot.  I haven't been following, so I couldn't tell you if there have indeed been any cuts yet or not, though.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »

Huh? The point was to compare the old prices with the current as it's hard to tell if prices have been slashed without the old prices. I didn't think that a price cut to start May 2008 would be advertised and begun in March 2008. As it's May 13th I was trying to find out from someone who WAS following to see if indeed the so-called "price cuts" due in May were appearing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:43:29 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 04:55:20 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 13, 2008, 04:36:32 PM

Huh? The point was to compare the old prices with the current as it's hard to tell if prices have been slashed without the old prices. I didn't think that a price cut to start May 2008 would be advertised and begun in March 2008. As it's May 13th I was trying to find out from someone who WAS following to see if indeed the so-called "price cuts" due in May were appearing.

My bad, dog.  Me no read so good.

I just looked at circuitcity.com, and didn't see a huge price difference, but there are some deals where they'll throw in a surround sound system and such. 
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 06:48:22 PM »

You should see a brief wave of discounting right before Fathers Day. After that, there is nothing on the retail calendar that would encourage serious sales on TVs until Thanksgiving. The price cycle bottoms out in January, when stores are taking inventory, annual model changes are under way, and the super bowl is coming up. I'd be pretty surprised to see major price cutting before then.   

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 04:25:13 AM »

Hmm.  Doesn't seem to have happened yet at least on they Sony model they mentioned.  Too bad, that price cut combined with the Best Buy 12% off coupon this weekend would have been tempting.  Oh well.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »

Well, I bought a HDTV but I have to say I didn't notice any particularly good price cuts. It's difficult to say what's a good deal and what's just standard prices: there are so many options with regards to  screensize, supposed quality, models, brands, extras, etc. and frankly, so many sets just looked alike. Then toss in temporary sales, discounts for using their credit, warranty plans, free delivery, free TV stand, clearance items, "open box" price cuts, etc.

Bottomline for me: I was satisfied with my old TV's picture before. The new one is better but...big whoop. I bought one mainly because...well, 'cause I'm going to "go console" and I might as well have a big screen.

Anyhow, my brother's ex-wife is a manager at a nearby store (initials: BB) and she got me an open box and employee discount on a new 52'' HDTV, so that settled the issue for me. So it was a good buy but not a "Wow! There's a price war and I've just made a killin'!"

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 13, 2008, 06:48:22 PM

You should see a brief wave of discounting right before Fathers Day. After that, there is nothing on the retail calendar that would encourage serious sales on TVs until Thanksgiving. The price cycle bottoms out in January, when stores are taking inventory, annual model changes are under way, and the super bowl is coming up. I'd be pretty surprised to see major price cutting before then.   

Football season is on the retail calendar, at least for HDTV's.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: