http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of OPEC  (Read 1057 times)
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:42:20 PM »

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/09/11/the-death-of-opec.aspx

HURAH!
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »

wow, that is shocking.  this could go either way.  if the saudis want to supply their customers, that could either mean they want to keep the market price higher than supplies would suggest or ramp up a bit to lower the price and take away market share from the others. 

chavez is boiling right now. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »

good. screw them. i hope they crash and burn.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »

Wow, I'm honestly very surprised to see this.  It'll be interesting to see if the rest of this band of thieves can lure the Saudis back or not.

"No seriously, we were just kidding.  Cut production?  Nah...  Come back, guy!"  </South Park Saddam Hussein Voice>

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »

Look, the Saudis didn't back out of OPEC forever and don't expect them to.  OPEC countries have had a way of saying one thing (for public appearances) and doing another.  Nor did they walk out - they agreed to a 500,000 barrel cut in daily production (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26647869/).  OPEC wanted the Saudis to shoulder the burden of the cut, which the Saudis said they wouldn't do.

The "death of OPEC"?  Hardly.  More like the Saudis keeping up their public image as a pro-Western country in order not to get their foreign aid pulled - in reality, it doesn't appear anything has changed.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
map

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:50:10 AM »

Again, all the more reason we should be drilling our own oil and looking at nuclear power as we seriously develope other energy sources.

Save America, shoot your television.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:56:22 AM »

Quote from: map on September 12, 2008, 01:50:10 AM

Again, all the more reason we should be drilling our own oil and looking at nuclear power as we seriously develope other energy sources.

Pickens Plan.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
map

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 04:10:35 AM »

We tried wind in So. Cal. Not there yet. How much money do you think Pickens has invested in this. Solar . . .still too expensive. However, I believe that both solar and wind plus other means will become viable as we go on. In the mean time I think we all have to accept the fact that the World's economy will be dependent on fossil fuels for the forseeable future. In that regard the United States has to divorce itself from this the greatest transfer of wealth in history and start utilizing our own resources. We have no friends in OPEC.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 04:48:42 AM »

Quote from: map on September 12, 2008, 04:10:35 AM

We tried wind in So. Cal. Not there yet. How much money do you think Pickens has invested in this. Solar . . .still too expensive. However, I believe that both solar and wind plus other means will become viable as we go on. In the mean time I think we all have to accept the fact that the World's economy will be dependent on fossil fuels for the forseeable future. In that regard the United States has to divorce itself from this the greatest transfer of wealth in history and start utilizing our own resources. We have no friends in OPEC.

Pickens has or is willing to put in over 2 billion of his own money.

And his plan isn't just about Wind or solar which are both important and necessary, but a lot of his plan is about the switch to natural gas based vehicles. He constantly harps that if the US government would mandate all of it's vehicles switched by a certain time frame, and then force the trucking industry to switch as well we'd cut our nation's foreign oil consumption by almost 80% and that will be more effective than any off shore drilling(which he actually recommends but only as a temporary solution). Also, he talks about not having  to worry as much about infrastructure build out as the Trucking industry is on an almost completely different set up than us 4 wheelers and the US gov't can put Nat gas where ever they need it.

The whole idea is that we have to change what we are doing. Doesn't anyone wonder why Europeans get vehicles with upwards of 65 mpg ratings while we don't? Did you know that our Gov't actively prohibits the production and sale of those vehicles in the states. Do you know that our Gov't makes it damn near impossible to connect those wind farms to the grid? It's ridiculous, and both sides are to blame. This could've been handled 20 years ago, and it seems like our leaders today are willing to let the future generations to figure it out.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
map

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »

I agree 100% about the natural gas. Get the pipeline to Anwar now.
This could've been handled 20 years ago, and it seems like our leaders today are willing to let the future generations to figure it out.

I am 59. I lived this.
 There is no Boogieman. We are the government. Our own complacency is ultimately to blame for anything the government does or does not do. We are where we are today because the vast majority of us found it to be the easiest path to take.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »

Quote from: map on September 12, 2008, 11:56:59 AM

This could've been handled 20 years ago, and it seems like our leaders today are willing to let the future generations to figure it out.

I am 59. I lived this.
 There is no Boogieman. We are the government. Our own complacency is ultimately to blame for anything the government does or does not do. We are where we are today because the vast majority of us found it to be the easiest path to take.

Please explain to me why more drilling will solve our problems? To me it sounds like just another "easiest path to take".

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 04:43:01 PM »

Quote from: map on September 12, 2008, 11:56:59 AM

What gives you any confidence that the supplies in ANWR would end up here in the United States?  There's more profit elsewhere.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »

Build more nuclear power plants and use electric cars.  Nuclear is more expensive than coal for them to produce per kilowatt but overall there is less waste and if they would ever open that storage facility they dug out in the desert we would be set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: