http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:35:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC universe Reboot/Relaunch  (Read 1641 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

well damn, looks like this one got lost.  A guy at the local comic shop directed me to Bleeding Cool, which has a ton of info on the reboot, most of what I've looked at is related to the Batman family but there is more stuff:

This is a relaunch, not a reboot:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/02/dc-relaunch-not-a-reboot-holding-the-line-variants-72-discounts/

Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman and Birds of Prey will have their own titles.  Batgirl has been shown with red hair.....
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/06/dc-relaunch-birds-of-prey-batgirl-catwoman-batwoman/

Batman Inc. will also get a new # 1 after 10 issues, but that won't be until 2012:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/06/dc-relaunch-2012-batman-inc-1-next-year/

Dark Knight #1 after 3 issues, Detective Comics, Batman and Batman & Robin.  Saw elsewhere there will be a Nightwing comic; no word on Red Robin or Gotham City Sirens
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/06/dc-comics-relaunch-batman-and-robin-dark-knight-and-batgirl/

the four Green lantern books:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/03/dc-relaunch-four-green-lantern-1-comics-in-september/

some covers:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »

Damn, I guess neither DC or Marvel want as much of my mobey as possible anymore- I just heard Marvel is ending Uncanny X-Men this fall.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »

and finally, all 52 #1's from the relaunch, both rumored and confirmed.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:32:51 AM »

I predict this will blow up in their faces and they will be right back to the old numbering system within a year. You can't restart Detective Comics, Action Comics, and Batman. They have too much history and the number is a big part of it. Think about it, Batman 500, Detective comics 32. These numbers mean something.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:02:28 PM »

If sales are down as much as they seem to be hinting they are, I don't know that the history of the titles as conveyed by issue numbers are that big of a deal.  I have no clue as to whether or not this will work, but I'm not going to call it a failure before it even leaves the gate.  If the number of new readers and older readers who left long ago and aren't up on the recent history of their favorite characters outweighs current fans, it may actually work.

...of course, it could just crash and burn horribly too. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 10, 2011, 02:02:28 PM

If sales are down as much as they seem to be hinting they are, I don't know that the history of the titles as conveyed by issue numbers are that big of a deal.  I have no clue as to whether or not this will work, but I'm not going to call it a failure before it even leaves the gate.  If the number of new readers and older readers who left long ago and aren't up on the recent history of their favorite characters outweighs current fans, it may actually work.

I've seen Marvel bump issues forward to their proper numbering when they hit a major milestone (see X-Factor, went from 20 something to 200), and I'm betting DC will do the same.  On the plus side my monthly comic book bill will be smaller since they've shown me not to get attached to new titles, so while I'll keep on with Batman, Detective and Batman & Robin I won't be picking up any of the titles replacing the other ones in the Batman family.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »

Slightly off topic, but I came across a sneak preview of Witch Doctor in the back of the latest Walking Dead and it blew me away.  I don't read many comics, but that one I'll be hunting for.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:24:25 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 04:41:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2011, 02:13:52 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 10, 2011, 02:02:28 PM

I've seen Marvel bump issues forward to their proper numbering when they hit a major milestone (see X-Factor, went from 20 something to 200), and I'm betting DC will do the same.  On the plus side my monthly comic book bill will be smaller since they've shown me not to get attached to new titles, so while I'll keep on with Batman, Detective and Batman & Robin I won't be picking up any of the titles replacing the other ones in the Batman family.

I find the thought of there not being an Action Comics #1000 in a couple of years very sad. I hope you're right, and they'll leap the numbering forward for that milestone. I'm excited by the day and date embrace of digital. Concerned a bit about pricing -- on an iPad where real books cost $9.99, and songs are 99¢, paying $2.99 or more for a comic book comprised of just 22 pages of content seems like a bad buy. They need to pull the price down some, or expand the length of what they're selling.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »

Here's Action Comics #1.

Look!  Superman doesn't have red shorts any more.  How modern.

See this is the shit that bugs me.  They changed the look to change the look and get some attention (this was the top entertainment headline in my news ag this AM).

It started way back with Crisis, of course.  And, eventually, A Death in the Family where they let America vote to kill off Jason Todd.  But those stemmed from creative decisions, at least.  The DCU was getting a little cluttered, Jason Todd was kind of an irritating Robin.  Even the Supes reboot with Byrne was because Curt Swan was getting long in the tooth and really how many damned forms of kryptonite do we need?

Of course there were marketing benefits to these as well, and I don't mean to say that DC was surprised by them, but you can see the gimmick of it come to the forefront over time.  When The Death of Superman finally rolled around, it was an offensively cheap ploy that had nothing to do with creativity or even "Wouldn't it be cool if..." (which is how Marvel's gimmicks all started including, literally, "What if...").  It was all about selling books.  And it worked.  And now that's what all of these events are.  And they just keep coming at a ridiculous rate, so they don't seem special any more.

It's disheartening as hell.  I love DC.  I get the need to sell books, but respect your audience.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »

Remember Red and Blue Superman. What a disaster. While that new costume isn't as bad as red and blue, it's still not the original. There's a reason Supe's costume hasn't changed much over the last 70+ years. It's because it works. This is nothing more than a marketing ploy and a big F u to long time DC fans. (The renumbering, rebooting, and Supes new costume)

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »

solicitations for the 52 #1's.  I'm guessing half of them don't make it past the first year.  Static Shock?  Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.?  Red Hood and the Outlaws?

:facepalm:

[edit]  damn, Bleeding Cool is turning into my new go to source for comics.  here's another list of the 52, with a little addition at the end:

But also, no Booster Gold, JSA, Superman/Batman, Adventure Comics, The Spirit, Doc Savage, Justice Society Of America, Secret Six, Gotham City Sirens, Power Girl, THUNDER Agents, Titans, Xombi or Zatanna. No sign of Wally West. No And no sign of a Captain Marvel or any of his family.

And with new books and new creative teams, there are also losers. There’s also no work from creators working for DC in August including James Robinson, Scott Kolins, Phil Jiminez, Jamal Igle, Adam Schlagman, Jonathan Vankin, David Hine, Bryan Miller, Peter Calloway, Felicia Henderson, Jock, Brian Wood, Brian Clevinger, Marc Andreyko, Tom DeFalco, Chris Roberson, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Phil Hester, Howard Chaykin, JG Jones, Will Pfeiffer, James Patrick, Marc Guggenheim, Marv Wolfman, Matthew Sturges, Nick Spencer, Frazer Irving, Andy Kubert, Fernando Blanco, Felipe Massafera, Rex Ogle, Ibraim Roberson, Scott Clark, Alejandro Giraldo, Rodney Buchemi, Eddie Nunez, Javi Fernandez, Oliver Nome, Gene Ha, Marco Castiello, Mike Miller, Howard Porter, Daniel Sampere, Ron Randall, Kevin Maguire, Jerry Bingham, Sergio Cariello, Rich Buckler, Paris Cullins, Mike Bowden, Steve Scott, Jay Fabok, Greg Tocchini, Todd McCarthy, Carlos D’anda, Pere Perez, Chris Batista, Adam Beechen, Marcus To, Andres Guinaldo, Billy Tucci, Ron Frenz, Allan Goldman, Piers Gallo, Chriscross, Tomas Giorello, Don Kramer, Geraldo Borges, Phil Winslade, Agustin Padilla, Jerry Ordway, J Calafiore, Hendry Prasetya, Mike Grell, Nicola Scott, Jose Luis, Fabrizio Fiorentino and Victor Ibanez

yep, looks like a bunch of people are going to be twiddling their thumbs unless DC has a second wave coming.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:43:16 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 11, 2011, 03:17:26 PM

Remember Red and Blue Superman. What a disaster. While that new costume isn't as bad as red and blue, it's still not the original. There's a reason Supe's costume hasn't changed much over the last 70+ years. It's because it works. This is nothing more than a marketing ploy and a big F u to long time DC fans. (The renumbering, rebooting, and Supes new costume)

I guess I am the weird guy who likes it when costumes change.  I really don't see anything wrong with that costume change posted up there.  It's not like they changed it to pink and lime green.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 11, 2011, 03:54:49 PM

I guess I am the weird guy who likes it when costumes change.  I really don't see anything wrong with that costume change posted up there.  It's not like they changed it to pink and lime green.

It's not bad, it's just unnecessary.

And that makes it bad.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:04:51 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 11, 2011, 04:02:45 PM

I guess I am the weird guy who likes it when costumes change.  I really don't see anything wrong with that costume change posted up there.  It's not like they changed it to pink and lime green.

And that makes it bad.

Change is good.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 11, 2011, 04:06:40 PM

And that makes it bad.

Change is good.

Not forced change.  Natural change.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 11, 2011, 04:10:11 PM

And that makes it bad.

Change is good.

I guess I should get off your lawn. slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »

if only it were costume changes.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 11, 2011, 04:18:58 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 11, 2011, 04:10:11 PM

And that makes it bad.

Change is good.

I guess I should get off your lawn. slywink

Damn right!  These funny books were better in my day.  Not all digitalized for the whatwhosits and the Twitters and such.  We got ink on our hands and we liked it!  If I put my finger on Superman's privates, it would come away red, dammgummit, not blue!!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

oh dear god, Marvel is announcing their next big thing today.    Ghost of Jack Kirby, please please please please don't let them decide to copycat DC.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:28:33 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »

All DCU #1s with covers.

They did not fuck with the goddamned Batman.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 13, 2011, 03:51:49 PM

oh dear god, Marvel is announcing their next big thing today.    Ghost of Jack Kirby, please please please please don't let them decide to copycat DC.

turns out this is just a new Spider-Man title.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 14, 2011, 03:22:42 PM

All DCU #1s with covers.

They did not fuck with the goddamned Batman.

dammit, they got rid of the bat symbol on the yellow oval again; I've always like that look.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 03:42:20 PM »

looking through the solicitations I think they've given Batman a bit too much of the relaunch.  He's going to be in Detective Comics, Batman, Batman & Robin, Batman: The Dark Knight and Batman Inc. (which is back next year after issue 10).  heck, the Bat-family of comics takes up 11 of the 52.  Now I love Batman, but that seems a bit like overkill.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »

What's up with "The Bible"?  They're shooting for the moral majority crowd now?   icon_confused

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »

Batman is also in Justice League and Justice League International.

I'm still a bit unclear regarding continuity. Is the Superboy in Superboy #1 a new Superboy, or Kon-El? Are all the Batman books about Bruce Wayne, or do some of the other Batmen from Batman Incorporated continue to operate?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 14, 2011, 03:58:22 PM

Batman is also in Justice League and Justice League International.

I'm still a bit unclear regarding continuity. Is the Superboy in Superboy #1 a new Superboy, or Kon-El? Are all the Batman books about Bruce Wayne, or do some of the other Batmen from Batman Incorporated continue to operate?

all the Batman books will have Bruce Wayne back.  Dick Grayson is Nightwing again, and one of the Batman Inc. Batmen from Africa will get his own title called Batwing.

Because I can,
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »

So do the rest of the Batmen still exist?

Argh, headache.

At least my Green Lantern books look pretty linear. Sad about Tim Drake not having his own series any longer (but Jason Should Be F***ing Dead Todd does?!)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 14, 2011, 04:09:04 PM

So do the rest of the Batmen still exist?

Argh, headache.

At least my Green Lantern books look pretty linear. Sad about Tim Drake not having his own series any longer (but Jason Should Be F***ing Dead Todd does?!)

I'd assume the rest will, since Batman Inc is indeed coming back, but anything could happen at this point.  and yeah, I'm annoyed that Tim Drake is losing his series.  He had Robin for 185 issues and Red Robin for 24 but now nothing.  I'm betting the 'Red Hood and the Outlaws' is one of the first canceled, it sounds like something that doesn't have legs.

[edit] ah, I see Red Robin will be in Teen Titans.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:20:15 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »

There's also this eye-roll on a page:

Batwing: The Batman of Africa

It's Judd Winick, though, and he can do okay.

This is the first image I saw a little while ago, and I didn't look closely, but if they had changed Bats to that, I would have punched someone.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »

Yeah. I'm not a fan of Teen Titans stuff. Also, the description, like that of Superboy #1, makes me wonder about continuity, as it sounds like they've rebooted Wonder Girl. I also think of Tim Drake as being around 20, not a teen anymore.

Baroquen131
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2011, 03:28:21 PM

turns out this is just a new Spider-Man title.

Yeah, I read about this. It's pushing Spider-Man as adventuring in the big old Marvel universe. Doesn't he do that enough in Avengers and FF? (And guest-spots like Heroes for Hire and such)... I'm definitely passing. I enjoy what the writer's doing in Amazing, but this sounds like fluff.

I'm not sure how I feel about the DC reboot. They had a lot of meandering titles going, but to ditch everything and start fresh - I don't know.

Haven't kept up with Batman as of late. Wasn't a Morrison fan, and the other titles just seemed to keep rolling on. All tales of the Batman, but nothing of much import happening. Maybe that changes?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on June 14, 2011, 04:56:54 PM

Yeah. I'm not a fan of Teen Titans stuff. Also, the description, like that of Superboy #1, makes me wonder about continuity, as it sounds like they've rebooted Wonder Girl. I also think of Tim Drake as being around 20, not a teen anymore.

Justice League sounds like a total reboot too:

In a universe where super heroes are strange and new, Batman has discovered a dark evil that requires him to unite the World Greatest Heroes!

actually, that makes it sound like the whole 'relaunch' is a reboot with the 'In a universe where super heroes are strange and new'.

Because I can,
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »

I'm sort of wishing they'd done this Ultimates-style, and launched an Earth-2011 or whatever new universe as their day & date project. It'd be cleaner, and I liked the Ultimate Marvel universe a great deal more than Earth-616 (until Ultimatum ruined it).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 09, 2011, 09:38:35 PM

Damn, I guess neither DC or Marvel want as much of my mobey as possible anymore- I just heard Marvel is ending Uncanny X-Men this fall.

and Uncanny X-Men is going to be replaced with....

Uncanny X-Men #1.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

I'm guessing we'll start seeing a ton more info on this from Comic Con, and to kick things off here's the cover to Action Comics #1 featuring Superman.... wearing jeans?  plus more on the 'new' Supes (including an explanation of the new look):

This Superman is very much an alien, one struggling to adjust to his adopted home. In the series, he must come to terms with both the loss of his home world, as well as the loss of both of his adopted parents. He is more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas. He’s a loner trying to find his place in the world.

he's a loner Dottie.

His great powers have limits. When the series begins, Superman can leap tall buildings, but his ability to fly is in its infancy.

yeah, great, Smallville Redux.

they also mention he's no longer married, and Lois Lane is dating someone else.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:41:59 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 19, 2011, 04:19:20 PM

he's a loner Dottie.

5 points for the pee wee herman reference. 

i need to watch that little piece of brilliance again sometime soon.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »

One of the local theaters is running Pee Wee's Big Adventure as a midnight show here the weekend of the 29th.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 19, 2011, 05:04:42 PM

One of the local theaters is running Pee Wee's Big Adventure as a midnight show here the weekend of the 29th.

what time y'all want me to pick ya up?

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »

Come on down and we can roll about 10:30, have a couple drinks at the in-theater bar, and hang out with the odd HS kids on summer break that, for some reason, like movies made before they were born.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »

Got it.  Remember to call me by my new cool name, "Durango".

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: