http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 04:09:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Tennant to depart from Doctor Who.  (Read 1108 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm

David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me," he said.

I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh

David Tennant
"Now don't make me cry," he added. "I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair."

'I'll miss it'

For me, who never really watched the old Doctor Who, who liked Christopher Eccleson, but absolutely LOVED David Tennant as the Doctor, this is huge. Tennant has been MY doctor, just like Tom Baker was for so many, and I'm sad to see him go.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »

This is very sad news indeed.  I loved Tennant.  He is my modern Doctor like Tom Baker was my Doctor growing up.  I liked Christopher Eccleson too, but you are right that Tennant became my Doctor as well.  Certain actors are just born to play certain parts.  I look at David Tennant and I see "The Doctor", always will no matter what he goes on to do.

icon_cry

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »

this.sucks.ASS.  thumbsdown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »

It is very sad. 

I also feel a bit annoyed - come on!  They only do 13 freaking episodes a year!  How the hell can anyone say don't want to get burned out on that!  And 1 episode each year didn't have much of the Doctor in it - because they always said the filming schedule was so busy he needed time off!  Give me a freaking break.  He has been in 42 episodes that isn't even enough to be in syndication in the US.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:45:03 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on October 30, 2008, 03:11:47 PM

It is very sad. 

I also feel a bit annoyed - come on!  They only do 13 freaking episodes a year!  How the hell can anyone say don't want to get burned out on that!  And 1 episode each year didn't have much of the Doctor in it - because they always said the filming schedule was so busy he needed time off!  Give me a freaking break.  He has been in 42 episodes that isn't even enough to be in syndication in the US.

Very good points farley.  I agree 100% and have not even thought about this.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 05:13:10 PM »

Sad to see him go.  He was perfect for the role.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »

That's too bad. I've really grown to like Tennant as the Doctor compared to my initial thoughts.  And he seemed to want to go on as long as the BBC needed him, and even said he wanted to do a movie or two.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:02:33 PM »

Doesn't this mean he's headed for a final death when the 13th Doctor leaves? Or will they pull something from The Master, do you think?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »

Tennant was a great Doctor.  It will be sad to see him go.  icon_frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:16:16 AM »

While not entirely unexpected, it still sucks.  frown
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:26 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on October 30, 2008, 03:11:47 PM

It is very sad. 

British TV works differently than it does in the US.  There are a lot of series that only put out a handful of new episodes each year.  Classic british sit-coms like "Blackadder" and "Red Dwarf" rarely had more than 8 episodes a year, for example.

The nice thing is that working actors can then commit to a series while still being able to do things like movies and theatre.  So the expectations they have are different.  After four or five years, Tennant is probably just ready to do something else.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 31, 2008, 01:38:26 AM

British TV works differently than it does in the US.  There are a lot of series that only put out a handful of new episodes each year.  Classic british sit-coms like "Blackadder" and "Red Dwarf" rarely had more than 8 episodes a year, for example.

The nice thing is that working actors can then commit to a series while still being able to do things like movies and theatre.  So the expectations they have are different.  After four or five years, Tennant is probably just ready to do something else.

I understand how different British TV is but I am still annoyed smile  I loved him as the Doctor and I want much more of the show. 

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 30, 2008, 08:02:33 PM

Doesn't this mean he's headed for a final death when the 13th Doctor leaves? Or will they pull something from The Master, do you think?

The only reason this would happen is if they actually wanted to end the show after the 13th actor decides to leave. It's Sci-Fi, they can write in whatever work around they want.

Sad about Tennant leaving as he was really good. Now I begin the constant hoping for James Nesbitt to get the role. (Watch new Who showunner Steve Moffat's fantastic mini-series Jekyll to see why!)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 04:33:32 PM »

He has a daughter.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 31, 2008, 03:05:43 PM

Sad about Tennant leaving as he was really good. Now I begin the constant hoping for James Nesbitt to get the role. (Watch new Who showunner Steve Moffat's fantastic mini-series Jekyll to see why!)

Oooh, good call!  I could see Nesbitt in the Who shoes. 

Speaking of Moffat, while I'm sad that Tennant is leaving (he is my favorite doctor since Baker), I'm extremely glad that Moffat's taking over from Russell T Davies.  Davies is a really, really weak writer.  Moffat, on the other hand, has given us some of the most memorable who stories in ages.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 12:34:26 AM »

maybe the new Doctor will be a woman.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2008, 04:51:09 PM

Oooh, good call!  I could see Nesbitt in the Who shoes. 

Yes all of my friends at work who are Who fans and I immediately wanted Nesbitt to be the next Doctor after watching Jekyll. Give me Nesbitt's Hyde minus the psycho killer stuff and he would be awesome as the Doctor.

Speaking of Moffat, while I'm sad that Tennant is leaving (he is my favorite doctor since Baker), I'm extremely glad that Moffat's taking over from Russell T Davies.  Davies is a really, really weak writer.  Moffat, on the other hand, has given us some of the most memorable who stories in ages.

I am completely giddy over Moffat taking over, as his Who stories are awesome, Jekyll was fantastic, and his Coupling show is in my top 3 or 4 of all time favorite sitcoms. But, I think you are maligning Davies unfairly. Sure he gave us some of the more weak new Who stories and things like pigmen, farting aliens, etc. But, he wrote some fantastic Dalek stories, the fabulous Army of Ghosts/Doomsday 2 parter, and the final 4 episodes of season 4 were superb. Davies also reintroduced the show and many aspects of its history so brilliantly and in a way to not alienate new fans. This is easy to screw up (see the 1996 movie). Plus, one of the biggest fans of Davies' writing is in fact, Moffat himself. I really hoped Davies would continue to write 1 story a year for Who, but I understand why he wants to go back to being a fan again. Davies is the one of the only Who fans in the world for whom the show hasn't really returned yet, since he knew about each and every story well in advance.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:50:32 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »

Not sure how many of you might have seen this, nut here's a clip of David Tennant and Catherine Tate during last year's BBC Comic Relief fundraiser.

It's well worth a watch.  For the uninitiated, Catherine Tate had a sketch comedy show on the BBC for several years, and one of her characters was a high school student named Lauren Cooper.  I'll leave it at that.  smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A&feature=rec-fresh
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:36:00 PM by Gromit » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: