http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 02:10:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Knight Spoilers Discussion Thread!  (Read 9239 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5101



View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »

I hate going to the theatre by myself so I've been trying to setup a date to see this movie for the last 2 weeks. After 3 failed attempts I finally got to see the movie last night. A few times people in my office started talking about it and I had to literally stick my fingers in my ears while sitting in my cubicle waiting for them to go away.

Where was the Watchmen trailer?! I feel cheated.

The Joker was amazing. His level of insanity, facial ticks, body twitching and mannerisms really added to his creepiness. I loved how he kept changing the story about the origins of his scars. My main complaint was his access to resources even as he constantly killed his own guys (that's great for team morale) and burned money. Is it really feasible that he can load up these two different buildings with dozens of barrels loaded with gas and then do the same thing on two ferry boats with no one noticing?

Did Baman's morals change from BB? At the end of that movie he states "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." Putting aside the contradiction of this statement why does he keep saving The Joker and not killing him. This guy is obviously a threat to everyone.

My biggest point of disbelief was Batman dropping Salvatore Maroni from a 2 or 3 story building and he lands straight down on his feet. OK, first of all I had to look away because that was painful to watch. His next scene shows him standing and later he is walking with a slight limp half heartedly using a cane. He would have two broken legs, ankles, hips, spine and or various other bones.

Are we to believe that they really emptied out an entire hospital in less than an hour?

3 different DNA's on the joker card? What, did he swab blood all over the thing or scotch tape their pubes to it? Then they apparently pulled a CSI miracle of getting DNA testing not only done within hours, but making a match to a judge, police commissioner and DA since these people all have their DNA in a database?

Great movie though. I'm thinking about seeing it a second time if its playing at the local IMAX. I hope the DVD has cool extras like Heath Ledger's audition for The Joker role.

One of the best non-Joker lines:
Quote from: Lucius Fox
Let me get this straight. You think that your employer, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is spending his nights running around the city beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person? Good luck.
Logged

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1422


View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »

People are different. 

I remember when I broke my ankle in a car accident.  Some guy in the hospital had the same injury as me, we compared notes.   Anyways, we're both in casts and no lie, if someone so much as touched my ankle I had tears in my eyes(despite my best efforts to be a tough guy).   This other guy, even though the doctor told him the same thing as me "keep all weight off that foot for now..."- this guy was walking around ON it!  I'm on crutches because that leg is useless to me, and he's using a cane because he can use both feet.

I have no idea of course how that impacted his healing(mine healed fine), but damn...

That's why I had no problem with that sequence.  The second you find yourself saying "He would have two broken legs, ankles, hips, spine..." you know you're on the wrong track because you can't possibly know that for a fact.  Especially given the interior logic of the movie(what with Batman and Rachel taking a longer plunge and not even getting injured, Batman saying "I'm counting on it" implying he picked this height because he knew it was relatively safe, etc).

Batman breaks the law to stop people from...uh, breaking the law.   That raises no protest but you are gonna sweat him for playing fast and loose with the "I won't kill you but I'll let you die, that's not as bad" approach to morality?  Hehe.

As to the hospital, look at how many people got out of the WTC in short order, even if it meant climbing stairway after stairway.    At most I think it would have been nice to have some news report mention a few evacuation related patient deaths(due to unplugging and so on), but otherwise I had no problem with it.

My favorite nonJoker line was "Accomplice? I'm going to tell them the whole thing was your idea."
Logged
biggercup
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 515



View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 30, 2008, 06:46:41 PM

I hate going to the theatre by myself so I've been trying to setup a date to see this movie for the last 2 weeks. After 3 failed attempts I finally got to see the movie last night. A few times people in my office started talking about it and I had to literally stick my fingers in my ears while sitting in my cubicle waiting for them to go away.

Where was the Watchmen trailer?! I feel cheated.

The Joker was amazing. His level of insanity, facial ticks, body twitching and mannerisms really added to his creepiness. I loved how he kept changing the story about the origins of his scars. My main complaint was his access to resources even as he constantly killed his own guys (that's great for team morale) and burned money. Is it really feasible that he can load up these two different buildings with dozens of barrels loaded with gas and then do the same thing on two ferry boats with no one noticing?

Did Baman's morals change from BB? At the end of that movie he states "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." Putting aside the contradiction of this statement why does he keep saving The Joker and not killing him. This guy is obviously a threat to everyone.

My biggest point of disbelief was Batman dropping Salvatore Maroni from a 2 or 3 story building and he lands straight down on his feet. OK, first of all I had to look away because that was painful to watch. His next scene shows him standing and later he is walking with a slight limp half heartedly using a cane. He would have two broken legs, ankles, hips, spine and or various other bones.

Are we to believe that they really emptied out an entire hospital in less than an hour?

3 different DNA's on the joker card? What, did he swab blood all over the thing or scotch tape their pubes to it? Then they apparently pulled a CSI miracle of getting DNA testing not only done within hours, but making a match to a judge, police commissioner and DA since these people all have their DNA in a database?


Do you actually believe that "wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is spending his nights running around the city beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands"?

It's movie... relaxe and enjoy~
Logged
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 10845



View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »

Batman on Film has a fun (and final) the Dark Knight prize drawing. Top prizes are limited run ceramic sculptures of Batman and the Joker, each valued at $150.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/contests_dcdirect_TDK-3-August_8-5-08.html

Since you do have to give DC Direct your name/contact info, you'll probably want to use, well, whatever e-mail addy you're comfortable giving in possible junk mail situations.  icon_razz
Quote
(Sculpted by Kolby Jukes) "The Dark Knight" is in mid-flight in this dramatic action pose! This uniquely crafted piece features Batman's sweeping cape as the statue's base. This limited edition, hand-painted cold-cast porcelain statue measures approximately 10" high x 8" wide x 8" deep, includes a 4-color certificate of authenticity and is packaged in a 4-color box. Limited editionof only 6,000 pieces! A $150.00 US value!

(Sculpted by Kolby Jukes) Standing on a pile of oversized playing cards, this statue features The Joker sporting his trademark grin! This limited edition, hand-painted cold-cast porcelain statue measures approximately 10" high x 10" wide x 6" deep, includes a 4-color certificate of authenticity and is packaged in a 4-color box. Limited edition of only 6,000 pieces! A $150.00 US value!
Second prize for 10 folks are the Batman Begins LImited Edition Gift set on Blue-Ray or Batman Gotham Knight (the recent animated anthology) on Blue-Ray.

I couldn't find the statues at the DC Direct site, but there's a pretty nice vinyl one ($125):

The Dark Knight - Batman vinyl statue by Kotobukiya
http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=9825&lst=new&cat=STATUES

I'm putting this here in lieu of a one-post thread on TDK statues.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:13:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3101



View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »

Quote
Did Baman's morals change from BB? At the end of that movie he states "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." Putting aside the contradiction of this statement why does he keep saving The Joker and not killing him. This guy is obviously a threat to everyone.

Read the comics. Batman's struggle to stop the Joker without breaking his "law" of not killing is a common theme that occurs over and over again. It's not inconsistent at all with the character.
Logged
raydude
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1506


SPICE! Nomnomnomnom


View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 05, 2008, 07:39:07 PM

Quote
Did Baman's morals change from BB? At the end of that movie he states "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." Putting aside the contradiction of this statement why does he keep saving The Joker and not killing him. This guy is obviously a threat to everyone.

Read the comics. Batman's struggle to stop the Joker without breaking his "law" of not killing is a common theme that occurs over and over again. It's not inconsistent at all with the character.

But wait, how is not saving Ras Al Ghul from a train plummeting to certain death different from not saving the Joker from plummeting to certain death? In both cases on could argue that its not Batman who killed him, it was gravity, hence Batman doesn't break his "law".
Logged

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5651


Why so serious?


View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Quote from: raydude on August 05, 2008, 08:14:54 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on August 05, 2008, 07:39:07 PM

Quote
Did Baman's morals change from BB? At the end of that movie he states "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." Putting aside the contradiction of this statement why does he keep saving The Joker and not killing him. This guy is obviously a threat to everyone.

Read the comics. Batman's struggle to stop the Joker without breaking his "law" of not killing is a common theme that occurs over and over again. It's not inconsistent at all with the character.

But wait, how is not saving Ras Al Ghul from a train plummeting to certain death different from not saving the Joker from plummeting to certain death? In both cases on could argue that its not Batman who killed him, it was gravity, hence Batman doesn't break his "law".

The difference is that Batman pushes the Joker off of him in TDK therefore being the reason for the Joker's impending death, whereas Rhas Al Ghul was not in the train by Batman's hand.
Logged
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3101



View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »

rickfc got it - Batman walks a razor's edge in his morality, but it's pretty consistent. There was one graphic novel (cannot for the life of me remember the name) when he kind of snapped and decided he was just going to throw his morality out the window and go apeshit on criminals. That was a cool book.
Logged
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3243



View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2008, 09:01:57 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 05, 2008, 08:22:15 PM

Quote from: raydude on August 05, 2008, 08:14:54 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on August 05, 2008, 07:39:07 PM

Quote
Did Baman's morals change from BB? At the end of that movie he states "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." Putting aside the contradiction of this statement why does he keep saving The Joker and not killing him. This guy is obviously a threat to everyone.

Read the comics. Batman's struggle to stop the Joker without breaking his "law" of not killing is a common theme that occurs over and over again. It's not inconsistent at all with the character.

But wait, how is not saving Ras Al Ghul from a train plummeting to certain death different from not saving the Joker from plummeting to certain death? In both cases on could argue that its not Batman who killed him, it was gravity, hence Batman doesn't break his "law".

The difference is that Batman pushes the Joker off of him in TDK therefore being the reason for the Joker's impending death, whereas Rhas Al Ghul was not in the train by Batman's hand.

That is about the weakest difference ever.  Batman gave Gordon the batmobile to destroy the monorail - and he knew the train was going to plummet off the track. 

I suppose it is enough to keep comic book geeks comfortable on the long cold nights without a date but it is nor really a valid moral distinction.
Logged

rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5651


Why so serious?


View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 05, 2008, 09:01:57 PM

Quote from: rickfc on August 05, 2008, 08:22:15 PM


The difference is that Batman pushes the Joker off of him in TDK therefore being the reason for the Joker's impending death, whereas Rhas Al Ghul was not in the train by Batman's hand.

That is about the weakest difference ever.  Batman gave Gordon the batmobile to destroy the monorail - and he knew the train was going to plummet off the track. 

I suppose it is enough to keep comic book geeks comfortable on the long cold nights without a date but it is nor really a valid moral distinction.


Weak or not, it is a difference.  Keep in mind that these are your morals you're referring to.  I guess everyone has to adhere to your morals now?

And you're right.  While you were out laying waste to pussy and crushing all kinds of ass, I was at home satisfied knowing that Batman wouldn't kill a bad guy unless the environment let him do it.   finger
Logged
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5474


I live in Japan


View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2008, 03:35:46 AM »

Just saw the movie today-fantastic.  I also thought that Batman purposely chose to save Harvey Dent-that he decided to sacrifice his Rachel over the good of the city.  In fact, I like that idea better so I think I'll chose to believe that that's what happened.  I also thought that the ferries had the detonators to their own bombs.  I was sure that the prisoners would choose not to use it and the civilians would blow each other up.

What happened to the black criminal midway through the movie? The Joker has his knife in the guy's mouth and then I didn't see what happened-did he just throw him on the floor?  And what did he suggest to the other black members? I know he needed help and he only had so many available positions.  Were they supposed to fight each other to the death or something?  What was the significance of breaking the pool cue? Was that supposed to be their weapons?
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2008, 04:00:02 AM »

I prefer to think that Batman knew Rachel Dawes was a fucking useless character and therefore let her die so he could bang Catwoman in either the third or fourth film. icon_twisted
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2008, 04:37:34 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 06, 2008, 04:00:02 AM

I prefer to think that Batman knew Rachel Dawes was a fucking useless character and therefore let her die so he could bang Catwoman in either the third or fourth film. icon_twisted

one thing that struck me on a repeat viewing was that Maggie looked a bit old this time out.  still hot, but a MILFy hot.
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3614

Sponge Bath Slut


View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 06, 2008, 03:35:46 AM

I know he needed help and he only had so many available positions.  Were they supposed to fight each other to the death or something?  What was the significance of breaking the pool cue? Was that supposed to be their weapons?

Yes. Wait for it. Yes.


Logged

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 06, 2008, 12:14:34 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 06, 2008, 03:35:46 AM

I know he needed help and he only had so many available positions.  Were they supposed to fight each other to the death or something?  What was the significance of breaking the pool cue? Was that supposed to be their weapons?

Yes. Wait for it. Yes.




there was a lot at stake.
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9233


I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!


View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 05, 2008, 09:01:57 PM



I suppose it is enough to keep comic book geeks comfortable on the long cold nights without a date but it is nor really a valid moral distinction.


did you really need to go down that tired old road to make yourself feel superior?  i expected better of you.   Roll Eyes
Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5651


Why so serious?


View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 03:06:07 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 05, 2008, 09:01:57 PM



I suppose it is enough to keep comic book geeks comfortable on the long cold nights without a date but it is nor really a valid moral distinction.


did you really need to go down that tired old road to make yourself feel superior?  i expected better of you.   Roll Eyes

Don't call him out like that, hep.  He has higher morals than us 'comic book geeks'.  Plus, he can get a date and we can't.
Logged
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 03:06:07 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 05, 2008, 09:01:57 PM



I suppose it is enough to keep comic book geeks comfortable on the long cold nights without a date but it is nor really a valid moral distinction.


did you really need to go down that tired old road to make yourself feel superior?  i expected better of you.   Roll Eyes

I sometimes wonder how the overly-analytical gain enjoyment out of anything.  While farley may suggest a more capable skill at populating his social calendar, unfortunately sex must be terribly disappointing, no matter how much more often it may be had, if it receives a comperable level of scrutiny.
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9233


I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!


View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 06, 2008, 04:34:36 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 03:06:07 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 05, 2008, 09:01:57 PM



I suppose it is enough to keep comic book geeks comfortable on the long cold nights without a date but it is nor really a valid moral distinction.


did you really need to go down that tired old road to make yourself feel superior?  i expected better of you.   Roll Eyes

Don't call him out like that, hep.  He has higher morals than us 'comic book geeks'.  Plus, he can get a date and we can't.

lining up sock puppets around my living room and giving them the names of the 2007 Chicago Bear's cheerleading squad is most certainly a "date", damnit!

Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5651


Why so serious?


View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 05:11:18 PM


lining up sock puppets around my living room and giving them the names of the 2007 Chicago Bear's cheerleading squad is most certainly a "date", damnit!


Yeah...I totally scored with plenty-a-sock puppet in my single days!  Yay me!
Logged
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 210


View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 06, 2008, 03:35:46 AM

Just saw the movie today-fantastic.  I also thought that Batman purposely chose to save Harvey Dent-that he decided to sacrifice his Rachel over the good of the city.  In fact, I like that idea better so I think I'll chose to believe that that's what happened.  I also thought that the ferries had the detonators to their own bombs.  I was sure that the prisoners would choose not to use it and the civilians would blow each other up.

What happened to the black criminal midway through the movie? The Joker has his knife in the guy's mouth and then I didn't see what happened-did he just throw him on the floor?  And what did he suggest to the other black members? I know he needed help and he only had so many available positions.  Were they supposed to fight each other to the death or something?  What was the significance of breaking the pool cue? Was that supposed to be their weapons?

I'm pretty sure I heard a cutting sound before the body dropped to the floor so I assumed the Joker killed him.  As for the rest, yeah, he basically dropped a wooden spear between the three of them and said he'd take one of them into his organization.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 66 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.056s, 2q)