http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 11:04:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Show rips House of Reps on Video Games  (Read 1109 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=70892

It is like he is reading my mind...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:45:22 PM »

The Daily Show is always great for a laugh.  It is kind of sad that the state of videogames is being judged by the out-of-touch elderly, although  I was somewhat impressed one of them had played Civ IV.

"The House of Representatives is filled with insane jackasses".

That closing line by Jon Stewart sums up that clip to perfection.  smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:47:58 PM »

Nice, I personally love the daily show and think that John Stewart is funny.  I also agree with what he was talking about with parents standing behind their kids watching them play games and being powerless to do anything.  Here is a tip---- DON"T BUY YOUR KID A GAME IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT IT IS.  I don't know of any young kids that carry the $60 around for a 360 game that they don't get from their parents.  If they flip the cover over on the back, using BF2 as an example, it says "T- teen, Language Violence"  A- you should know that your kid isn't a teen or B- if you don't want to expose your kid to language and violence don't buy the game.  I don't know how it could be any clearer in the rating what is included in the game.  Personally I wouldn't mind some of the more violent games being rated like movies- 17 to get in an R, 13-pg13, and so on.  I would just find it annoying to show an id to get a game!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:30:28 AM »

I also find it really inane that a little bit of nudity or sex in a game gives it an AO rating (Oblivion's nipple texture).

Then a game like Manhunt, with a completely mature and horrific theme, get just an M rating.  I recall someone here or on OO was a store manager for a place that sold a kid Manhunt, and the kid commited suicide shortly after playing it for a while.  Then again, where were the parents checking to see if the game the child bought was acceptable?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:12:40 PM »

I don't think he went far enough exposing how preposterous the political grandstanding is.  Missed op for us gamers...
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:29:32 PM »

Problem one.  A lot of people dont take John Stewart seriously.  Great clip, and great piece though.
problem 2.  Something that was sort of touched on BY the representatives.  Most of them havent played a video game since Space Invaders.  Or tetris.  these are the same people that get angry at the U-Scan  at the supermarket.

Selling to underage children?  Ummm....As Bill over at DQ says.  The game industry itself needs to get off its butt and do something about the numbers for that stat.  I dont think it happens as much as they want people to believe.
Who Profits?  Did they suddenly loose all the numbers on business and what not?  I mean seriously, cant any yahoo really just do some minor research to see who makes money?
Rating System?  Christ, didnt we do this when they put the ESRB on there?  Didnt the government approve of the system?

My favorite.  Wealthy kids dont commit crimes.  <sigh>

These are the people that we elect.  These are the people that we put in office to look after our interests.

i actually got a mass response from governor granholm, for signing a online petition abnout an investigtion into gas hikes, and some other gas related problems.  I am considering sending Ms Granholm another letter about gaming.  Won't necessarily get me anywhere, but MAYBE I can shed some light for her.  Phew.  These people need to stop liviing in a bubble that protects them from people who arent rich and sit around in a nice marble building all day.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:06:57 PM »

They're just mad that all they had to do as kids was pick cotton and avoid the dinosaurs.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 08:33:30 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
Selling to underage children?  Ummm....As Bill over at DQ says.  The game industry itself needs to get off its butt and do something about the numbers for that stat.  I dont think it happens as much as they want people to believe.

I'm not wagging the finger at anyone here, but I hate this expectation that the industry, or even government, prevent people from accessing their product.  What's wrong with parents making sure their kids don't play games they don't approve of?

Also, I fail to see the over-reativity by parents.  Their kids are probably more in danger by sitting on their fat asses all summer playing video games due to lack of exercise than by any threat posted by the psyche-crushing threat caused by Jack Thompson's legions of videogame trained, serial killer, prepubescent zombies bent on destroying civilization.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »

It's sad how hard groups are coming down on the videogame industry when other mediums are pretty much left alone.  

What about Family Guy for example?  That show is on network TV during prime time and it can get pretty bad.  Don't get me wrong, I love Family Guy, but would I let young kids watch it?  I don't think so.  But, there's always the V-chip for that, I suppose.

Maybe the consoles need to implement something like the V-chip.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 09:05:19 PM »

Hmmm... a console "white list" would be a pretty good idea.

Not that it would stop lil' Jimmy from going over to the neighbor's house after school.

Personally, I find any attempts by parents at mind control to be ultimately futile.  Responsible parenting is one thing, but trying to be the filter for every piece of data entering their universe is another matter entirely.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 09:15:50 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I also find it really inane that a little bit of nudity or sex in a game gives it an AO rating (Oblivion's nipple texture).

Then a game like Manhunt, with a completely mature and horrific theme, get just an M rating.  I recall someone here or on OO was a store manager for a place that sold a kid Manhunt, and the kid commited suicide shortly after playing it for a while.  Then again, where were the parents checking to see if the game the child bought was acceptable?

What are you talking about? The nipple texture was one of the reasons  its rating was bumped from Teen to M.  There was never any suggestion from anywhere that Oblivion should be rated AO. There are a number of games with nudity that are not rated AO.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 03:39:49 AM »

Thankfully the government is looking into these "games" so I dont have to spend 1 second looking at a box cover or reading/looking at the game's box to see if I would find it acceptable for my kid.

Why look at GTA..them evil game designers hide some content that makes it inappropriate for youngsters since the rest of the game was so wholesome.

:cry:

Actually, instead of showing clips of ingame footage why not show the box the games come in and wonder why parents still buy it? Oh, I know..you dont want to lose voters..

unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 05:01:36 AM »

Don't knock it.  America is the same country which believes football games don't depict violence.  Aren't we cool?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: