http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 04:01:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyber Warfare?-Hackers Attack Via Chinese Web Sites  (Read 731 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:06:54 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/24/AR2005082402318.html?sub=new

Hackers Attack Via Chinese Web Sites
U.S. Agencies' Networks Are Among Targets

By Bradley Graham
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 25, 2005; Page A01

Web sites in China are being used heavily to target computer networks in the Defense Department and other U.S. agencies, successfully breaching hundreds of unclassified networks, according to several U.S. officials.

Classified systems have not been compromised, the officials added. But U.S. authorities remain concerned because, as one official said, even seemingly innocuous information, when pulled together from various sources, can yield useful intelligence to an adversary.

"The scope of this thing is surprisingly big," said one of four government officials who spoke separately about the incidents, which stretch back as far as two or three years and have been code-named Titan Rain by U.S. investigators. All officials insisted on anonymity, given the sensitivity of the matter.

Whether the attacks constitute a coordinated Chinese government campaign to penetrate U.S. networks and spy on government databanks has divided U.S. analysts. Some in the Pentagon are said to be convinced of official Chinese involvement; others see the electronic probing as the work of other hackers simply using Chinese networks to disguise the origins of the attacks.

"It's not just the Defense Department but a wide variety of networks that have been hit," including the departments of State, Energy and Homeland Security as well as defense contractors, the official said. "This is an ongoing, organized attempt to siphon off information from our unclassified systems."

Another official, however, cautioned against exaggerating the severity of the intrusions. He said the attacks, while constituting "a large volume," were "not the biggest thing going on out there."

Apart from acknowledging the existence of Titan Rain and providing a sketchy account of its scope, the officials who were interviewed declined to offer further details, citing legal and political considerations and a desire to avoid giving any advantage to the hackers. One official said the FBI has opened an investigation into the incidents.

Discuss

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »

That is some rough stuff.  I remember back when I was stationed in Montana we actually had a breach.  Not too scary yet?  How about the fact that the base was a Nuclear launch site?  They came through with Intel officers and Comm squad guys and fine tooth combed our entire network.  

What I'd like to see is a nice good old fashion set of American hackers ripping up on the Chinese hackers.  

Or as they would say on Battle.net.... kekekkekekeke

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 02:17:02 PM »

But U.S. authorities remain concerned because, as one official said, even seemingly innocuous information, when pulled together from various sources, can yield useful intelligence to an adversary.

You mean like 9/11?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:52:11 AM »

You can do far more purely economic damage by, say, crashing the NYSE or fucking with banking transactions, than you can by flying an airplane into a building.  Heck, Osama was even short selling American stocks in preparation for 9/11.

His goal was to bleed America dry, just like they did to the USSR in Afghanistan.  Thus far, his plan seems to be going off without a hitch; he is still free, and GWB is spending money like a madman and doesnt even care about catching Osama.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 02:23:30 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
GWB is spending money like a madman and doesnt even care about catching Osama.

While I won't argue with your other opinions, I would have to disagree with this.  I'm sure GWB would love to be able to parade Osama around.  It would (at least in his mind) justify the whole war on terror.  The capture of Saddam was a big deal and this would be the real feather in his cap.  Regardless of how people viewed his legacy, his defenders would always say, "Yeah, but he got his man!"

Just how I see things, of course.  This war is his legacy, and if he could nab Osama at least it would be something to show for it as he spins it back towards the "war on terror."  It seems that most Americans agree that "war is hell," but a war on terror is righteous!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 03:54:34 AM »

Jesus, that does sound scary. Keep these fuckers far, far away from the nuke silos!  :shock:
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 08:16:02 AM »

The Bush family has been doing business with the Binladens for over 30 years.  There is no fucking way in hell he would seriously go after Osama.  Many military people who were on the ground in Tora Bora even state they werent allowed to go after him.

If OBL had been caught, Bush wouldnt have gotten his "War on Terr-rr", and he wouldnt have been able to plunder Iraq (which is now Iranq).

The problem is that rational thought fails in this case.  One would automatically assume the president wants what is best for the country, but such is not the case.  They have other, more monetary, concerns.  Bush could care less about you, me, our troops, or the country.  He needs to 'get on with his life', as he said last week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: