http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crikey! Croc Hunter Killed  (Read 1956 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:49:31 AM »

Subject says it all. Still no details yet, but it's on the front page of CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 04:51:21 AM »

Another Aussie site.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

Ugh and damn.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 04:58:52 AM »

That is sad I suppose.  I know a girl from Australia and she told me they couldnt stand him down there.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 05:03:29 AM »

Dangit man, a stingray barb through the chest, yikes!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, i think we all knew sometime sooner or later his luck would run out. 

Roundup all the stingrays!!!!!  Find the one with a missing barb!

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 05:04:48 AM »

I suppose no one should be surprised, other than the fact that it wasn't actually a crocodile that did him in.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 07:49:58 AM »

Man, he should have toned it down - had a kid not too long ago, could have just chilled out for awhile.  It's really awful, because of his family.  I feel for 'em.

TheMissingLink on PSN
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 10:57:07 AM »

I was hoping for some kind of april fool's joke at first, but alas, it's not even april!
Really I've seen this guy on animal planet so much I actually grew kind of fond of his work with animals and his own zoo in Australia.

Really, this makes me sad.. just something I wasn't expecting at all, why coudn't it have been one of Stiffler's BBW's instead?? We'd save a lot of the world's food, too, but instead, we lose a great guy..  icon_frown

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »

Aw man.  My kids are going to be so sad.  We used to watch him and Jeff Corwin pretty regularly a couple of years back.

Sad news.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 12:36:06 PM »

My wife was really bummed when i told her this morning.  Atleast the guy died doing what he loved and felt passionate for.  Interested in seeing if Discovery Channel or Animal Planet does something special for him.  From all accounts it looks like he was an awesome human being.  His producer said he was the "worlds proudest father".  I'd like to think someone would call me that someday too smile

Really a shame frown and sad story frown

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 12:42:58 PM »

He is actually survived by two children, a daughter and a son.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 12:49:30 PM »

This makes me very sad. I loved the croc hunter.   crybaby
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 04:07:07 PM »

Was never a big fan, but I thought the guy had an infectious passion for what he did.  I was saddened when I read the news this morning.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 04:31:58 PM »

This is pretty damn sad news.  The guy was an outstanding bloke, and one of my favorite "celebrities" since he was actually accomplishing something (working for conservation & education efforts).

Sad news indeed.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 04:51:59 PM »

That sucks.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »

No doubt this is sad.  The guy really cared about the animals and about education.  Sucks.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 06:23:15 PM »

That really sucks. Seemed like a nice guy and really dedicated to his work. What a shame.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 07:33:23 PM »

How sad...I guess if there's some kind of silver lining, you could say he died doing what he loved. 

RIP, Crocodile Hunter.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »

He's the same guy who took a baby into the croc pen right?   Yeah, father of the year alright.   I do think that's kind of a humiliating way for him to go out.   I mean if a 15 ft croc had ripped his arm off and he bled to death, that's hardcore.  But to be killed by an animal that pretty much NEVER kills anyone- ouch!  And he's supposed to be an animal expert.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 10:50:21 PM »

Damn gameover.. show some respect for the guy. He wasn't "perfect" (who is?) and I don't think there's really any such thing as an animal expert.. anything can happen out there in the wild, anything.
He took chances for us, the film audience, capturing wildlife in all it's natural glory. Even more, he was a defender of wildlife all the way from the cobras to crocodiles.

His children are still very young and now get to grow up without a dad. This news today to say the least, saddened my entire day, so to see your comments really just bothers me.. and don't take that the wrong way, I'm not attacking you at all, I just don't like the way you worded your comments.
In my eyes this guy was a damn near hero, and I don't think anyone out there in the wildlife camp can come even close to replacing him..

I'll echo Nth Power and say RIP to a great guy, and my sympathies are definitely with his wife and young children who no longer have him in their life.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 11:38:50 PM »

I honestly mean no disrespect to the guy.  It's just I get puzzled by statements about how he did so much for animals(which even if he did, he follows a LONG line of people who were doing that way before him, Wild Kingdom anyone?), AND how sad for his family people are AND what a great guy/dad he was.

Um, whose fault is it that his kids have no dad?  Whose fault is it that his wife is a widow?  Who took a baby into a croc pen, turning serious animal work into a sideshow?

The guy did some incredible things, no doubt.  He entertained Jebus knows how many people around the globe, no doubt.  But the same way Marlin Perkins let Jim Fowler do all the heavy lifting, once Irwin had kids he should have guarded his health and safety...in order for me to think he's anything more than a very successful attention whore.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 12:29:05 AM »

Quote from: gameoverman on September 04, 2006, 11:38:50 PM

I honestly mean no disrespect to the guy.  It's just I get puzzled by statements about how he did so much for animals(which even if he did, he follows a LONG line of people who were doing that way before him, Wild Kingdom anyone?), AND how sad for his family people are AND what a great guy/dad he was.

Um, whose fault is it that his kids have no dad?  Whose fault is it that his wife is a widow?  Who took a baby into a croc pen, turning serious animal work into a sideshow?

The guy did some incredible things, no doubt.  He entertained Jebus knows how many people around the globe, no doubt.  But the same way Marlin Perkins let Jim Fowler do all the heavy lifting, once Irwin had kids he should have guarded his health and safety...in order for me to think he's anything more than a very successful attention whore.

He wasn't even fucking with the stingrays, he was doing a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef.  It was a freak accident.  Stingrays aren't considered agressive or anything.  Only 3 or 4 deaths by stingray have even been reported in Australian history.

Definitely putting the ASS in ASSUME.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 01:31:29 AM »

Sad news, he was a great guy and did a lot for zoos and conservation.  I remember watching some interviews with him around the time they were promoting the Croc Hunter movie.  At first I thought it was just a really lame cash-in attempt until he said that all of the profits from the movie were going to their animal conservation charity.  Not like 5% or something, 100 fucking percent of their profits.  That is pretty hardcore and very admirable. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 02:03:14 AM »

Quote from: gameoverman on September 04, 2006, 11:38:50 PM

honestly mean no disrespect to the guy.  It's just I get puzzled by statements about how he did so much for animals(which even if he did, he follows a LONG line of people who were doing that way before him, Wild Kingdom anyone?), AND how sad for his family people are AND what a great guy/dad he was.

saywhat

K, I call bullshit. You *DO* mean to disrespect.

The whole "baby and the croc" crap is dead. He apologized to the world for it. Try a different perspective other than your own; he was WRONG to do what he did, but he was, in fact, exposing his child to the world he lives in, much like a farmer has his kids around animals... and farm animals can be more deadly than a well-fed croc.

He did more than "entertain". He wasn't a sideshow act that did juggling. He took you along on a world of discovery outside the drywalled interiors and showed you what it was like outside. Fuck Grande Lattes; watching him help tag and release giraffes in a conservation park was a real rush. He brought nature front - and - center to the idiot-box sitting in everyone's livingroom.

Show some goddamned respect for the recently deceased. A whore indeed.  retard

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 02:53:58 AM »

Irwin's longtime friend and "Crocodile Hunter" television producer John Stainton, who had gone out to sea with Irwin on Monday, said the film of the deadly encounter was "shocking".

"I did see the footage and it's shocking," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... and it's terrible.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," he said.

Yikes! He pulled it out himself. Geez this whole thing was just horrible.

They were showing a Steve centric couple of his shows tonight from 2000 and 2004. Got to learn some stuff you usually did'nt see that much during his show. About how emotional he got about his kids and stuff and how he would turn it all over to them like his mom and dad did him. Now he'll never get the chance. Almost been sick from this today.  crybaby

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »

Only 3 or 4 deaths by stingray have even been reported in Australian history.

17 since 1969 if i remember reading correctly.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 12:02:57 PM »

One of the people I feel genuinally sad at his passing - so different in what can at times be a plastic world lacking emotion frown

For the record the baby in the crocodile pen as I understand it was something of a tradition for his family - he had the same thing done to him when he was a baby.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 12:44:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 05, 2006, 11:53:20 AM

Only 3 or 4 deaths by stingray have even been reported in Australian history.

17 since 1969 if i remember reading correctly.

That was worldwide.  disgust

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »

Quote from: Tals on September 05, 2006, 12:02:57 PM

For the record the baby in the crocodile pen as I understand it was something of a tradition for his family - he had the same thing done to him when he was a baby.

He seemed likable but slightly nutty.  I respect a lot of what he did but that's one bizarre tradition.  I can't imagine bringing my newborn baby into a pen with a predator.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 03:50:25 PM »

It's unfortunate, but I can't say I'm sad.  Maybe if I knew him personally I'd feel something, but some guy that I only see on TV?  Nah.  It's funny how fame can change people's perspectives on death.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 03:59:30 PM »

He may have been a bit unorthodox but he got the word out, kids loved him and he brought animal rights and conservation of our world to kids...and that is NOT a bad thing.

I honestly don't think he was disliked by his own country-by all reports, within hours of his death, the news broke everywhere and it hit the country like a ton of bricks....

Both his children are young..what 3 and 6?  And he was young as well.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »

I find this Steve Irwin quote quiet close to home for him..

He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he
will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing
he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one
got it on tape

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 07:05:14 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 05, 2006, 06:55:05 PM

I find this Steve Irwin quote quiet close to home for him..

He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he
will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing
he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one
got it on tape

That about says it all, right there.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 07:40:28 PM »

Quote from: walTer on September 05, 2006, 03:59:30 PM

He may have been a bit unorthodox but he got the word out, kids loved him and he brought animal rights and conservation of our world to kids...and that is NOT a bad thing.

I honestly don't think he was disliked by his own country-by all reports, within hours of his death, the news broke everywhere and it hit the country like a ton of bricks....

Both his children are young..what 3 and 6?  And he was young as well.

Considering his country may do a state sponsored funeral, anyone that says they don't like him, is out of touch.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 08:16:49 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 05, 2006, 01:48:45 PM

Quote from: Tals on September 05, 2006, 12:02:57 PM

He seemed likable but slightly nutty.  I respect a lot of what he did but that's one bizarre tradition.  I can't imagine bringing my newborn baby into a pen with a predator.

Cats and dogs are.... vegetarian? "Tame" is a subjective term. slywink

GameOverMan, that comment hardly proves your point. He's been bitten by snakes etc and he wants it on film as he's likely to die likely to live (what the f-bomb was I thinking??). The context of that comment is bad. Who knows when he said that. I'd hate to be judged by comments I made 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:32:16 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 05:16:27 PM »

Days later and I'm still a bit bummed out. He was pretty cool, and really got to live his dream.

It was also an amazing way to die, seeing how hard it would have been to get stung by a stingray in the heart.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 07:04:05 PM »

Good reporting and videos on the BBC web site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

The dad talking about his son is very moving - also stuff on Aussies reactions.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »

Theres a ton of stuff out there, but here is a moving YouTube video that someone i game with made.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4MgyvFU30

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: