http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 02:03:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a GG alternative forum  (Read 3825 times)
The Mad Hatter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 03:09:01 PM »

I don't want to step on anyone's toes here at Console Gold, since they've gathered the survivors of GG together. Still, I know I'm not the only one who misses the political/religious debates there. Freepers are nauseating and I was banned from Democratic Underground long ago, so I'm left with nowhere to call home. How about we just go and create a new one? Even if Gonegold does return I think it'd be good to have an alternative in case the plug is pulled again.

I saw that Geezer is offering to create a new forum, maybe we could work with that as a start if he's willing.
setaside
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »

I could put up a temporary political forum in 5 minutes anyone wants.  

Check http://notquitegg.kcscene.net shortly.
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 03:44:54 PM »

I personally don't care about R&P, I posted in that forum maybe twice since the split, but what I don't want to see some of our regulars depart due to not having a place to discuss what they want to.

I'll go along with the crowd -- be it here, or elsewhere, but will offer help in establishing something if that's the route we decide to take.
setaside
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 03:49:31 PM »

It's up but will take a couple of hours for the redirection to kick in.  The actual address is www.kcscene.net/notquitegg

There are a couple of gaming forums and a couple of non-gaming forums to keep us occupied for a bit.  I'd be ok with hosting them full time but I don't have quite the resources available as others, at least right now.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 04:18:33 PM »

www.popehat.com has rather primitive forums, but people are welcome to argue there.  Some of the GG crew are hanging out there.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 06:34:06 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 07:33:31 PM »

Yes, well, thanks for reminding me dbt -- I don't know if elaborate smileys are possible at popehat. so you would be effectively mute.  Maybe we can train you to communicate with hand signals or grunts.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Papageno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 07:51:03 PM »

What's wrong with going over to Qt3's R&P forum?  Admittedly, it seems to be dominated by Liberals like me, but that just means we could use some bracing conservative rhetoric from some of GG's rightie regulars.
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 08:11:45 PM »

A problem is that to get into quartertothree you have to register, and Tom Chick never seems to confirm that registration.  I've registered there twice and it always tells me I have the wrong password.  Tom either doesn't respond to emails about the problem or doesn't receive them.

Another problem is that the tenor of discussion there, looking through the window with my face pressed to the glass, seems to be quite a bit more juvenile than gonegold's R & P ever was.  I believe it's a cultural thing.

So I'm sticking with popehat for the time being.

Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 12:35:40 AM »

Just as w/ Jeff Jones, I was never a R&P regular to say the least (mostly a EBG & Trading Place & some following of certain-titles-I-was-then-playing type), but same as Jeff, I'll pretty much follow the GG crowd _anywhere_ we "relocate" to en masse...

I was already getting/ feeling the GG' days may be numbered vibe some months back (after Bill H. exited & the front page went silent for months now), so I did get around to registering at Quarter to Three a while back. Recall it took an extra bit of time (there is some weird software kludge, & as I recall Tom Chick manually works around it, but it will get done if you're patient).  As already observed here, QT3 isn't quite GG, but I'm certainly willing to give it a chance to slowly grow into a Jr. version...

Also, I'm thrilled at the WARM reception the mods here at Console have been extending to us, so I definitely plan on hanging here (gotta talk 'em into giving me/ rolling over my _just_ hit +100 GG trader feedback though, LOL!)

Thanks also for the reference to popehat - going to check it out as well...

So looks like 3 options: collectively hope they together kinda/sorta fill the apparent hole.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 01:55:08 AM »

I go where the majority of GG goes. For now I'll browse around CG but it won't be the same. Prolly never will.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 02:11:04 AM »

I'm Kirk McPike from GoneGold, and I would also appreciate a recreation of the R&P forum. It was pretty much the most balanced, most accessible R&P forum on the Web. It's a shame to have it be gone so suddenly.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 02:18:06 AM »

Also, I'm thrilled at the WARM reception the mods here at Console have been extending to us, so I definitely plan on hanging here (gotta talk 'em into giving me/ rolling over my _just_ hit +100 GG trader feedback though, LOL!)
We have already decided that we'd extend that for all GGers.  It wasn't lost with the old server. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 02:18:18 AM »

I miss the dark colors.  These forums are cool, but I feel like a vampire that has been dragged out into the sunlight.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 03:32:48 AM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
I'm Kirk McPike from GoneGold, and I would also appreciate a recreation of the R&P forum. It was pretty much the most balanced, most accessible R&P forum on the Web. It's a shame to have it be gone so suddenly.

Hey!  Welcome but wow that is a severe name change.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 03:43:30 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
I miss the dark colors.  These forums are cool, but I feel like a vampire that has been dragged out into the sunlight.

In one of the big threads, I believe Knightshade said he'd be adding the black and gold color scheme, as soon as it's confirmed that GG is dead.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 03:54:33 AM »

That is correct.  I've already been in touch with folks to get the old look kicking as soon as possible if things go south with GG.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 04:00:51 AM »

Quote from: "Tareeq"
A problem is that to get into quartertothree you have to register, and Tom Chick never seems to confirm that registration.  I've registered there twice and it always tells me I have the wrong password.  Tom either doesn't respond to emails about the problem or doesn't receive them.

You've probably already tried this, but emailng him at the address in the post linked below worked for me and I was activated later the same day:

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13830

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 05:16:05 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
That is correct.  I've already been in touch with folks to get the old look kicking as soon as possible if things go south with GG.

That is cool, WAY cool.  Cool
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 08:01:51 PM »

Yep, as soon as I get some sort of official word regarding GG's closure (and I hope that isn't the final result), I'll get with Ron to figure out what hacks and mods needed to added or removed and send it over.  In the meantime, I'd suggest trying out the Cobalt theme.  Even though it isn't finished, it's a lot easier on the eyes.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 08:07:17 PM »

Yeah guys, we really should stick with the good folks of CG and their forums if things really are dead with gonegold.  The last thing we need are 10 splinter forums that are created to try to replace gonegold, none of which even coming close to the popularity of what gonegold once was.

Welcome to the Bovine.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 08:11:55 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
In the meantime, I'd suggest trying out the Cobalt theme.  Even though it isn't finished, it's a lot easier on the eyes.

I'll have to beg to differ. The Cobalt theme is even worse than the default. White on blue is almost unreadable for me.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 08:53:58 PM »

Quote from: "Samurai"
Yeah guys, we really should stick with the good folks of CG and their forums if things really are dead with gonegold.  The last thing we need are 10 splinter forums that are created to try to replace gonegold, none of which even coming close to the popularity of what gonegold once was.

As much as my extreme console bias makes me feel uncomfortable here, I kind of agree.  We're all going to get split up between 600  new GG forums if we keep running around.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 08:57:16 PM »

I think its unlikely everyone will show up to one forum no matter what happens. Even if Rich produces a new gone gold, not everyone would return.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 09:05:45 PM »

Quote from: "Valael"

As much as my extreme console bias makes me feel uncomfortable here, I kind of agree.  We're all going to get split up between 600  new GG forums if we keep running around.

Just wait.  Six months from now you will be playing Animal Crossing wirelessly on your Nintendo DS in the bathroom at work with Chuck from accounting in the next stall.....smile

Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004, 09:06:15 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I think its unlikely everyone will show up to one forum no matter what happens. Even if Rich produces a new gone gold, not everyone would return.

Agreed, there is no way every single person would be able to flock over here from gonegold.

Thats why we need to do everything possible to encourage people to come here, instead of any number of the "new" replacement gonegold forums that are popping up.  Especially since the CG people are going out of their way to make us feel at home... its stupid to have everyone running around to dozens of new forums.

Welcome to the Bovine.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2004, 09:19:01 PM »

If I, someone who isn't in email or other communication with GGers, can track you guys down to this site, I think mostly anyone from GG who really wants to find us, will find us here.  After that,  staying here or moving somewhere else is of course up to each individual. Considering the amazingly friendly reception we have received here, I for one have no inclination to look elsewhere(other than going back to GG, should it arise from the ashes like the great and mighty Phoenix).
setaside
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2004, 09:19:26 PM »

Quote from: "Samurai"
Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

Agreed, there is no way every single person would be able to flock over here from gonegold.

Thats why we need to do everything possible to encourage people to come here, instead of any number of the "new" replacement gonegold forums that are popping up.  Especially since the CG people are going out of their way to make us feel at home... its stupid to have everyone running around to dozens of new forums.
As far as I know, there has only been 1 replacement forum actually created as yet.  And it's not even a replacement, just a temporary place for people to freely discuss gaming and/or politics/religion.

Other alternatives include here for gaming and popehat for the political discussions.   I made the other temp forums for those who wanted both.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2004, 11:33:12 PM »

So, if GoneGold has shirked free of this mortal coil, will a R&P forum be added here to accomodate those discussions? I'm a bit unclear on this. smile

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 11:33:38 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Fireball1244"

Hey!  Welcome but wow that is a severe name change.

Fireball1244 was my actual account name at GG, it was just set to display my real name on my posts.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 11:39:15 PM »

The R&P is under consideration.  Everything else is a go.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: