http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:27:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple of movies I just saw... (Possible Spoilers Alert)  (Read 1539 times)
deadzone
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2004, 06:52:29 PM »

Had some time on my hands and decided to try out the new Netflix membership so I rented Below, The Suicide Club, and Donnie Darko.  

WTF was I thinking?!  It's been cause for much thought and reflection on my part for at least 2 of these movies.  

I had always heard things about Donnie Darko, but I didn't realize until I actually watched it, how deep it actually is.  Definitely going to need a couple of viewings to understand, given that, I am not so sure it's one of those things that you have to make your own and draw your own conclusions on as interpretation can seem to wildly vary on what it means.  

What a great movie though.  Anyone else think that the cast is perfect for the movie?  

Highly recommended

Suicide Club -

Christ Asian horror is f-ed up!  This movie is kind of like a mixture of Clockwork Orange and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas at I am not sure exactly what the hell happened in it.  The gore level is extreme and was a little over the top even to someone as desensitized as myself.  Right up there with Dead Alive in my book.  I don't really understand this movie yet and I require a couple more viewings to possibly understand.  Take my word for it though, be prepared if you decide to watch this!  The first few minutes of this movie alone is like a punch in the stomach.  

Highly recommended

Below -

God I love movie!  Strong characters, great story, awesome plot line!  Has a lot of good chilling moments without relying on gore effects.  Feeling of dread is pretty much building throughout the whole movie.  Highly recommend this movie to anyone that has not seen it.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 06:57:26 PM »

Below was good saw it myself on recommendation from here. Donnie Darko was a suberb film, though Frank creeps me the fuck out.  *shudders* I went ahead and put Suicide Club on my to see list on Netflix.

Ascendent
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 06:58:51 PM »

I agree about Below.  It has it's flaws, but it's a really excellent story with a really good cast.

And Donnie Darko is always a favorite of mine.  Very strange, and yet well done.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 07:02:47 PM »

Awesome man!  I am returning it today so you should get it soon.  smile  

You gotta wonder what those movie producer guys are thinking since they basically shelved Below and the awesome Equilibrium with those stupid limited theater releases that they did.  

BTW, apologies to anyone offended by the content of SC movie...Not meant to be used as a way to say that it's ever okay, especially given our recently departed friend BCR who felt it necessary to take that path.  It's never the right answer and I know that some have been directly impacted by the sadness of Suicide from these boards and Gone Gold's former boards.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 08:01:46 PM »

I keep meaning to check out Suicide Club, but don't watch enough movies to warrant a NetFlix membership.  I've seen the opening scene from SC(The subway station is the opening scene, right?), and was simultaneously intrigued and disgusted.  Guess I'll have to check out the whole film.

I checked out Ichi the Killer from Hollywood video last weekend, and it's considered to be in the same genre as SC.  Unfortunately, the version at Hollywood is the highly, highly edited version in which they cut out most of the gore.  Without it, there's not much movie there.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 08:10:56 PM »

That's what I am talking about yes...It was plenty powerful, gross, and sad all at the same time.  

Gratch, they have a pretty low cost membership that gives you like 2 a month or so I think....  Found it, 2 at a time, up to four rentals a month for 11.99.  You should still come on top if you rent a few movies a month at the video store.  

Reason I say this is that the selection you will find is much more than what you can find at any local Video Store.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 12:57:47 AM »

Whats the story with Ichi?  i saw it and was repulsed by it.  But I have heard so many people enjoy it?  What am I missing and should I feel bad that I am missing it or should I be happy?  :?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 01:09:21 AM »

I tried watching suicide club and well, that scene... just not to my tastes. However I read up on the why behind the movie, and it is supposedly a satire/commentary on Japanese culture and how children there will pretty much follow pop-culture to their own deaths... Kind of made me rub my head :?  , I think I might be able to stomach the film to see if I can pull that out of it..

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 04:40:25 AM »

My recent flicks are ...

The Day After Tomorrow thumbsdown -  so bad, it got it's own thread.  One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

Bad Santa thumbsup - not sure why I give this a thumbs up, kinda bad, but kinda good too, in a way. I thought the fat kid was great in his role, and I enjoyed the way Santa and the kid bonded.  There were some funny parts too.

Big Fish thumbsup - good storytelling.

Hidalgo thumbsup - i loved it, which surprised me. The ending made me  crybaby  which also surprised me.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 04:53:26 AM »

I saw Man on Fire today.

I actually really liked it. The movie has a very methodical pace. Acting is well-done overall, the little girl is one of the few child actors/actresses I can stand. Also: Radha Mitchell is HOT. HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. I went out and bought the DVD after I watched our rented copy. Listening to the commentary as I type this. I recommend a rental, as I'm sure many will not enjoy the movie overall. I have semi-bad/quirky taste in movies.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 02:18:22 PM »

I finally saw The Hulk, which had been sitting on my shelf for months gathering dust.   I was pretty bored by the whole thing.  Hulk fights dogs, Hulk fights gov'mint....well, him fighting the Army wasn't too bad, but dogs?!  Lame.  Even the hotness of Jennifer Connelly couldn't save this movie.  :cry:

I score it a 4/10.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 03:36:46 PM »

I actually really liked it. The movie has a very methodical pace. Acting is well-done overall, the little girl is one of the few child actors/actresses I can stand. Also: Radha Mitchell is HOT. HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. I went out and bought the DVD after I watched our rented copy. Listening to the commentary as I type this. I recommend a rental, as I'm sure many will not enjoy the movie overall. I have semi-bad/quirky taste in movies.

I also bought this after renting it and I've watched it 3 times since.  I really liked the movie and so has everyone else that I have watched it with.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 03:50:58 PM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"

I also bought this after renting it and I've watched it 3 times since.  I really liked the movie and so has everyone else that I have watched it with.

Cool. I'm getting this in today, from Netflix. Looking forward to it.

Nth Power, you're right, The Hulk sucked. I think your 4/10 was generous.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 03:32:48 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I saw Man on Fire today.quote]

I really enjoyed this one too.  The hand of justice that Denzel Washington carried out on those kidnappers was awesome.  It semed like a movie that was a little under the radar so someone had their way with the whole thing and really succeeded.  I could have seen this movie packaged more for selling to audiences but luckily they didn't and it was a really good decision.

The Hullk blows.   smile
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 03:36:57 PM »

The Hulk was terrible in so many ways.  smile  I turned it off halfway through.  I can't remember the last time a movie sucked so hard that I didn't even finish it, and I have seen some crappy movies in my time.  

I added Man On Fire to my Netflix queue based on the feedback I have seen in this thread.  Looking forward to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: