http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 01:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to 40  (Read 393 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »

I'll be 40 before the year is up and I'm mature enough that it doesn't really bother me that I'll be hitting that milestone. Life's been good to me so far.
Spoiler for Hiden:

Was thinking about having a 40th birthday party where instead of celebrating myself, I invite people close to me and then give them gifts that show how much they mean to me.

Any other ideas on 40th birthday bashes?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »

Have a roast where you are the subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_(comedy)
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:28:59 PM »

Can't remember mine, it was too long ago.
Have fun kids.  icon_wink

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »

I'll be hitting 40 this year as well.   disgust

Quote from: ATB on February 26, 2014, 01:21:55 PM

Was thinking about having a 40th birthday party where instead of celebrating myself, I invite people close to me and then give them gifts that show how much they mean to me.

That's a great idea ATB.  Will mention that to Mrs. Gratch so she doesn't think she needs to put together some big bash. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »

i should be 'sleeping' in Robert Burns' bed at the Globe with my new wife in Scotland for my 40th.  Looking forward to it.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:22:14 PM »

Add me to the "turning 40" club.

Back when I turned 35 I went through a bout of depression. I had just had a baby and the realization hit that I was no longer the generational focus. I had sired my replacement, which woke me up to my own mortality. Around the same time I had a couple of people I knew die unexpectedly, and that just compounded the fear. It was a rough few months.

However, the baby (and eventually, the second baby) really prodded me to get in shape for once in my life and take control. It's been a long process, but the road from 35 to 40 has seen me start running, lose 20 pounds, get off my cholesterol meds, start a new job and get a promotion....all very positive lifestyle changes. I had a goal 2 years ago when this process was really starting to gel that I wanted to hit 40 in my prime. So far I'm on track to reach that goal.

I refuse to go back to that negative place I was in. 40 will be awesome. 40 will be the checkered flag for the race I've been running the last 5 years.

In that same vein, I also vowed when I turned 39 that my year to 40 would be filled with good times, great memories, family, and friends. The entire last year of my 30s will be a year of celebration. I will not say no to opportunities. I will not talk about things, I will do them. I won't need a big 40th celebration because my birthday is going to last for a year.  icon_biggrin

Love your idea ATB of flipping your celebration around. That's awesome.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »

Nice work, YK.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 11, 2014, 12:56:21 PM

Nice work, YK.
yeah, he's really got down to his pre-baby weight and you can't even see the stretch marks now.  Tongue

I'm a few years out from that, but the clock is starting to tick.  My biggest problem is a serious lack of motivation and general life monotony.  It's gotten down to where I haven't bothered gaming when I get free time. 

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »

Get off my lawn, you kids!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »

I hit 60 this June. Milestone? I guess. I've never been taken in by all the angst surrounding milestone birth days. I lived pretty close to the edge for a number of years, at one point in my early 20's I seriously doubted I'd make 30. But even with that thought in my mind, where I was at that time, I couldn't have cared less. I guess you can say I did die at 30. I married the love of my life and married at 30. I was full steam into another life, another way of seeing life. A new start, kinda.
Four kids later, and a few grand kids for good measure, I find 60 coming around the corner to give me a high five, and boost me into the next decade. Should be fun. I have high expectations that the rest of my life will only get better and better.

My flux capacitor is getting recharged..........Hang onto your hat Marty!!

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: