http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:47:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest - Old School vs. New School  (Read 4725 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »

Pepsi has been cool enough to sponsor a contest for us to celebrate their Old School vs. New School event.  Let's get to the stuff you want and then we'll talk about how you can get it:

Grand Prize -

1 Mini Old School Arcade Game (Either Frogger or Space Invaders)
2 Shirts

Runner Up -
1 Mini Old School Arcade Game (Either Frogger or Space Invaders, whichever the grand prize person didn't pick)
1 Shirt

Consolation Prize (x2)
1 Shirt

Each of the prizes include a game card which gets you one free play on Old School, New School which can net you a Corvette, an Xbox 360, and other cool prizes.

Here is how you win:

Name your coolest old school arcade game.  What makes it the best?
Name your coolest Console or PC title (post 2000) .  What makes it the best?

Leave the comments in here and we'll pick a winner on July 11th, just prior to E3.  Only one other catch - you must be a US resident to win (Pepsi's rules, not mine).  Sorry Canada, you have to be content being America's Hat.  :/ 

Good luck everyone!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:29:21 AM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »

I'm working on it!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:37:37 AM »

I'll say the coolest old school arcade game I'd pick would probably be Tempest.  The sounds combined with the ease of gameplay really sucked a lot of hours out of my life.  It's hard to pick a single one though, most of the truly old school games had an almost zen like combo of simplicity and depth that seems lost on the newer games.

Coolest new game is probably COD4 because it is the complete package.  First game in a very long time where the controls really felt intuitive and within 10 minutes I didn't have to think while playing (which is something that the old school games did so well).
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »

I agree with Hark on Tempest.  That's exactly what popped into my head.

I remember many hours at the local roller-rink's darkened arcade playing Tempest.  There was just something sweet about the way the abstract C-shaped 'whatever' that you controlled sort of crab-walked across the screen.  And that warp sound and visual effect as you finished each level was pretty darn cool.

For modern games, I'd go with Space Rangers 2.  Despite the black mark of the copy protection employed, the game itself was great fun.  It included a wide range of game play elements:

- economic trade
- arcade mode
- tactical combat
- ship customization
- RTS
- text adventure

And if you were a player that didn't care for certain types of game play, you could pretty easily avoid those if you wanted to.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:58:31 PM by Shinjin » Logged
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »

For old school arcade games, I just have to go with Bubble Bobble. 100 levels, catch monsters in bubbles, pop the bubbles. It was pure bliss to play, and it holds up well over the years. And that music - it sticks in your head. A catchy fun game, simple, yet timeless. The co-operative element makes this game hold up and still be enjoyable 20 years later.

For new games - Rock Band. Nothing I've ever played has made me appreciate music in quite the same way. If you listen to a rock radio station, every other song you hear becomes 'that would be awesome to play in rock band' - oh, foreigner! 'That would be awesome to play in rock band'. Sweet! I Alone by Live - That would be awesome to play in rock band! You start having parties dedicated solely around the game - groups of friends, forging through band world tour, working through all the set lists, trying to amass a higher number of fans. People who have never touched a video game come in and play the guitar, play the drums, have a blast doing it. After 8 months of playing it, I STILL feel like going home after work every night and playing more. No other game even comes close to the quality, the beauty, and the simplicity of Rock Band full band gameplay. It's a treat every tuesday when new music is released.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »

Tempest.  So simple and yet so much fun.  Very simple vector graphic, trying to be 3D with its vacuum sucking warp to the next level!  I think it was also the first arcade game that I played using a round knob.

Knights of the Old Republic.  It was a role playing game disguised as an action game smile  It was the first RPG game in a long time that for me had a very strong story line, allowed some deep character growth and it was set in the Star Wars universe!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »

Arrgh, so many to choose. I'm going with Gauntlet. Multi-person, quasi RPG = geek heaven. Being able to choose different characters. Play a dungeon crawl and have others join in. It was incredible on its own and for its uniqueness for that time.
Awesome phrases: "Elf needs food badly!" "Warrior shot the food!"

World of Warcraft. My first MMO. Started playing when the game was released and still playing every day 4 years later (with a 10 month break). In over 30 years of gaming, a game has never held me like this. Fantasy setting, great lore with a touch of humor and the ability to interact with others. Play for 5 minutes or 5 hours and you can still feel like you did something. Add Blizzard's trademark polish and expansions makes this the coolest PC gaming experience ever.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »

old school: Joust because nothing is cooler than flying on the back of an ostrich stabbing people with a giant spear or bouncing on top of their heads. Beware of the Shadow Lords.   ninja

PC title (post 2000): The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind because the game set new standards for immersion and modability. Making the game easy to mod allowed the gamer community to take the game in directions the original developers couldn't imagine on their own. Being thrown out into the wide open world was both daunting and exciting.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 05:03:05 PM »

Old School:

Hang On.  That game, with the handle bars, stereophonic sound and overall awesomeness was the best gaming experience I ever had in a game.  The music was loud perfectly captured the desperate speed of trying to get back into first. I can still hear it.  The engine noises were incredible too.

I remember one afternoon I ran from the car to play it, leaving my grandmother in my dust, and the game was gone.  I was so sad.

Name your coolest Console or PC title (post 2000).

This is a hard one.  While it's not in my top 10 games of all time, I'll go with COD4. No game I've ever played has taken up as much time. From the perfect SP to the perfect MP, COD4 was king on my console for months and nothing else even got touched. 

EDIT OMG! Here's the music. I LOVE J00 INTERNETZ.  Seems a little more trebly than I remember, but whatevs!

EDIT II: OMG! II Actual gameplay footage. Now this is how I remember it. I LOVE J00 INTERNETZ
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:07:54 PM by ATB » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »

Old School
Tucked away in the corner of a strip mall near my childhood home was a video rental store called Golden Video.  As video stores go, it was a complete mess.  However, they always seemed to have the latest and greatest videos games.  So every afternoon, a group of us would pool our allowance money, hop on our bikes, get change at the grocery store, and descend as a (horrifying, I"m sure) swarming mass of 12-year-olds on Golden Video.  The owner was a crotchety old cuss to begin with, and I'm sure we must have aged him at least 10 years when we invaded every day.   And what was the mad dash for as soon as we hit the door?  None other than the Double Dragon machine.  There would be stacks of quarters lined up along the top in order of who got to play next.  If you died and ran out of quarters, the next guy in line got to continue where you left off.  Each one of us had mastered our own little talent.  I was a witch with the backward elbow.  Mike could take down anyone with the bat.  You were even allowed to call for someone to jump in for you if you needed their particular expertise.   The day I was able to play from start to finish, with an entire crowd of other kids watching and cheering, was one of the prouder moments of my younger years.   The games came and went in Golden Video, but Double Dragon remained the one constant that consistently ate up more quarters than any other game.  I even remember the owner watching us play one day and asking us "Why do you guys play this one when I've got in all these new ones for you?".  None of us could give him a definitive answer, but we all knew it was the greatest game we had ever played.  Golden Video eventually went out of business, but I'm sure there is still a Double Dragon machine somewhere with my initials in it.

Honorable Mention:
-  Rastan (one of the most memorable soundtracks ever)
-  Gauntlet (outside of Double Dragon, the best arcade co-op)
-  Galaga

New School
Tough call, but I'm going to have to go with Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions.  I might be disqualifying myself because it's a port of a 1998 game, but it was so brilliantly done that I can't help but put it in the top spot.  It truly sets the standard for the SRPG genre in terms of both story and gameplay.  In all honestly, I've only played one game in my entire life that had a better story (Planescape:  Torment), so FFT sets the high watermark not just for this specific genre, but for gaming in general.  Between the PS1 and PSP versions, I've put well over 120 hours into this game - which is a claim no other game can make.  Even spending that much time, I still find the itch to go back and crank out a few more levels or gain a few more skills.  The re-translation of the PSP port was amazingly well done, and it added an entirely new dimension to the game.  Plotlines, conversations, and relationships that were confusing in the original suddenly became crystal clear and very powerful.  An epic sense of political intrigue ran deep through the entire narrative, and it truly felt like you were participating in some sort of grand Shakespearian production.  The gameplay is near perfection, with innumerable variations of strategy and character development.  The job system - though replicated in other FF titles - is the best and most polished incarnation we've seen, and it allows the player to truly be as flexible as they want.  I could replay the game a dozen times and come up with an entire different team building strategy each time.  The challenge level was nearly perfect, and the incredible boss battles gave you a true sense of accomplishment.   If I could take one single game to a desert island, it would be FFT:  WotL.

Honorable Mention
-  Rock Band
-  Final Fantasy XII
-  Okami (cool factor is through the roof, just based on sheer artistry)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:04:57 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:36:37 PM »

Old school:

Vector Graphics and Space Wars for the win.

http://www.ilovethe80s.com/arcade_fullsize_spacewars1.htm

If you remember it, it was a pre-cursor Asteroids.  You played two players with different enviornments where you could wing the other space ship or direct hit and destroy it.  That was the game that got us hooked on video games.  It brought family and friends together to kill each other one quarter at a time.  It paid homage to Star Trek with one of the ships.  It had a varying physics engine. 

New school:

???  I haven't thought of something to represent yet.  My favorite is DII but that seems wrong based on the fact that it was a sequel.

I hope to edit this later with more thoughts.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 06:16:38 AM »

What else other than Discs of Tron. I admit I was very good at this one. I remember it being almost holographic 3-D. Pretty amazing looking for it's time. Getting the timing down right of when to jump and fire and not falling off was a blast.  A true classic.

Deus Ex .  The setting was great but the way it played was what set it apart. I still remember my wife thinking I was asking the store clerk about dog sex when Id ask about Deus Ex smile The ability to mod myself, use a variety of weapons in a rpg type setting, and having it all set to the graphics it had for it's day were something special.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 06:50:46 AM »

Name your coolest old school arcade game.
Dragons Lair.  I spent many many many many quarters clearing that game...  me and my friends were doing it to have a race to see who could clear it first.  I had the aid of some high schooler for the last few moves in the actual dragon fight, but for the most part that's one of the few games I would sit in an arcade and play again.  Although I did like Dragons LAir 2... it was everything 1 was and more.

Name your coolest Console or PC title (post 2000) . 

I'm a smidge torn on this one.  But... When all is said and done, Worlds Of Warcraft probably wins.  There are very few games I play with any regularity, Dawn of War, Company of Hero's etc.  But if I had a day to kill and any game ot play, I'd probably pick this one at the moment.  It's just so much fun to sit down and maim someone who's only real crime was rolling an alliance character.  Or getting the piece of equipment you have been working on for weeks and gearing it up all pretty like.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »

Name your coolest old school arcade game. 

ROBOTRON

What makes it the best?

TWO JOYSTICKS - ONE FOR MOVING, ONE FOR SHOOTING STUFF!

Name your coolest Console or PC title (post 2000).

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS (PS2)

What makes it the best?

THE GIANTS!
(And the horse, of course)

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »

Old School Game:

Double Dragon - There wasn't a game out there that sucked more quarters from my parents' pockets than DD.  While it lacked in story, it made up in badassery with great controls, graphics(at the time) and difficulty.

Post 2000 Game:

Rock Band - While the Wii is the console that has truly brought gaming to the masses, Rock Band is the game that did the same.  I have never seen so many people that have never had an inkling to put a game controller in their hands want to get behind a plastic instrument and rock out for hours on end.  While Guitar Hero may have popularized rhythm gaming, Rock Band was the first to make it fun for everyone in the room, even the ones not actively participating.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »

Gain Ground - It was between Gain Ground and Karate Champ. Both are games that were special to me for the ability to play them for expended periods of tmie without dropping a lot of quarters. Gain Ground wins because the amount of play I could get on a quarter was simply ridiculous, often as long as a half hour... on one quarter! The developers clearly didn't understand the purpose of arcade games. On top of the value for the money, the game was just plain cool. You built up your army by rescuing characters on the screen. If your character got hit he would die where he was hit and as long as you had another guy still to go you could rescue the guy you lost as well at least until you ran out of time for that level. The Genesis port was a nice effort, but depth perception was key to the game and the graphics on the Genesis version weren't good enough to get the same perception of depth. Another point that lends to the coolness of Gain Ground is that it is basically impossible to find an arcade version in working condition now due to the highly proprietary hardware used in the cabinet. It's basically impossible to find replacement parts.

Mafia - I could spend hours detailing what made Mafia the coolest modern title. The big one is atmosphere. Very few games make you believe you are there like Mafia. The music is incredible. The story is delivered in such a compelling manner with cutscenes that are perfect despite the less that spectacular graphics. Once you finished the story, there was the whole extreme mode with various challenges to unlock a ridiculous variety of awesome cars...

Turned sideways to preserve the thread. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »

Name your coolest old school arcade game. What makes it the best?

Pac Man is the coolest old school arcade game I've played. Pac Man was all about timing and strategy, it taught me the virtue of patience. You wait until the coast is clear to gobble up the dots, and if your ballsy you can even sneak in a few bonus fruits. It had me on edge quite a few times and that exhilarating feeling will remain with me forever!

Super Mario Galaxy because it is the ultimate testament to the spirit of old-school gaming brought up-to-date to match the gamers of today's standards for a cutting-edge experience. SMG made me believe that games could be FUN again, not just entertaining, and for that it is the best new-school game. 

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Rhiz8
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 05:14:51 AM »

OLD SCHOOL

At my local arcade, there was but one dark, yellow and black god that reigned supreme. And its name was Revolution X! One could not help but snap to attention, salute, and belt, "Yes, Sir!" upon hearing the subordinate voice representing Aerosmith shout, "Wake up! The revolution has begun! Generation X is in effect!" When you grasp that plastic gun and the recording left by Stephen Tyler assures, "It's up to you now," you can't help but shed a tear for your fallen comrades of the music revolution and take to heart his final advice. "Music is a weapon." Now honestly, how many of us didn't try to load CDs into our Supersoakers or fling them at our siblings or cats? That's right, no grenades in this game. You shoot CDs at your faceless enemies. The only other known way to kill someone with music is to blast Kelly Clarkson on your car stereo. This game represented not only the culmination of some damn fun and bloody shooting, but also the most confusing celebrity placement -- Aerosmith and war -- until recently surpassed by the Burger King mascot and stealth gameplay.

NEW SCHOOL

As some have said, keeping that old school spirit alive brings back some damn good memories. I love CoD4 or Oblivion as much as the next guy, but sometimes you just want your screen to be filled side to side with developer-designated evil that must be wiped out if only to see their entrails and twisted metal rain down and remind you that even though the Coliseum hasn't had a live act for quite a few years, you can still sate your need for bloody fun. This role is filled by Earth Defense Force 2017. The game wins with me because its shameless and unapologetic. The plot? Evil aliens, kill them. As thin and as great a plot as the immortal Contra 3. Your weapons? Everything and every variant of everything from rifles to guns that shoot previously mentioned entrails. Gameplay? Shoot. One rocket takes down a skyscraper. If every single city your sent to save is not TOTALLY leveled by the end of the stage, you're not doing it right! The voice acting is outstandingly campy, the gameplay refreshingly simple, the missions replay value solid, and co-op is a damn blast. Once you look up and see no less than a hundred flying saucers shooting at you, you'll get it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 06:46:17 AM »

Asteroids.  Spending hours with the radial dial dodging large rocks and the occasional non illegal alien....  Who can forget the fire from your spaceship searing it's bright light into your retinas in a way that it would be visible when you closed your eyelinds at night?

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition for the Wii.  How many times have you wished you could backhand or strangle an annoying shopkeeper to death or avenge the cowardly attempt on Don Corleone's life?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »

Whatever happened with that soundtrack contest?  I'm less likely to enter these contests since it always seems to take forever and a hassle before we hear of winners. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »

Classic:  Defender

Zipping along in a cool looking spaceship defending your soldiers on the ground.  I still remember the sound the landers make when they pick up one of your guys; you would hear that sound, check the radar, and haul ass to where the lander was.  Zap the rising lander to catch the guy on the way down and land him safely.

New Game:  Rock Band

I have to go with Rock Band.  Being able to play with up to four people, local or over the net, in the manner it does is just an incredible feat.  To think of the programming that went into this where they had to check each and every not in the track to make sure it was dead on is just nuts.  Sometimes when I am playing I get distracted by the visuals.  A truly enjoyable game to play and you can have a blast watching someone play.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 12:54:24 AM »

Old School:
Space Harrier.  I loved playing that game in the arcade which had the moving seat.  I believe that was my first taste of playing an arcade with a seat that moves when you move your guy on the screen.

New School:
Have to go with Mafia.  One of the few games that I've finished numerous times and still go back to every once in a while.  In fact, I just reinstalled it about a month ago and still have it on my hard drive.  The graphic is good for its time, great storyline and great characters.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 04:17:15 AM »

I've not forgotten about this contenst, but obviously E3 has me tied up.  I promise I'll discuss the entries with the staff this weekend and declare some winners! 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »

For old, i would say Berzerk. Trapped in a giant electrified-wall base-thing with multi-hued robots! that talk! and shoot each other by mistake! and an uber-evil indestructible bouncing smiley face!

For new, definitely Katamari Damacy for not only it's compulsive gameplay, but creating an entire world that accents and enhances the game itself, rather than detracting from it. the graphics and audio are all in keeping with the atmosphere. it's a perfect result of letting the design team run off with their own ideas without any 'committee-itis' or corporate interference and becoming absolutely successful with doing things their own way. more modern games should be like this.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »

Just to be clear, the contest is now closed, and entries are being considered.

Thanks for your contributions!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 01:40:13 PM »

Winnar?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 26, 2008, 01:40:13 PM

Winnar?

Be patient, last one took 6 months.

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 27, 2008, 12:43:08 PM

Agreed.  We did drop the ball on this one and for that I apologize.  I'll fall on my sword and say that I didn't monitor this as closely as I should have.  Won't happen again - future contests will feature a start date, and end date, and an announcement date. 

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 26, 2008, 02:26:22 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 26, 2008, 01:40:13 PM

Winnar?

Be patient, last one took 6 months.

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 27, 2008, 12:43:08 PM

Agreed.  We did drop the ball on this one and for that I apologize.  I'll fall on my sword and say that I didn't monitor this as closely as I should have.  Won't happen again - future contests will feature a start date, and end date, and an announcement date. 

Not losing any sleep over it (Ron's had a lot on his plate lately), just wanted to drop a little reminder since I'm sure it's slipped way down on the priority list.  smile

I'm just going to blame the delay on Purge anyway.  I just know that guy's up to no good.   Tongue

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »

I delegated the task to the team as I've been dealing with personal issues at home.  I'm sure they'll get it done this weekend. 

Let me repeat.

I'M SURE THEY'LL GET IT DONE THIS WEEKEND.   *ahem*

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 12:04:33 AM »

sooooo.........  paranoid

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 03:48:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 29, 2008, 12:04:33 AM

sooooo.........  paranoid

Just as soon as they handle the soundtrack contest...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 06:40:15 PM »

I didn't want to brag, but I won...right, Ron?  You can tell everyone now...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »

Sorry about that guys, we were too busy playing the handheld arcade games to notice this one.

Our winners will be solicited for shipping addresses shortly.

Thanks for playing!

Wait, what are you saying? You want me to give you the list now? I don't know man ... what if someone refuses the awesome prizes? We could have a shake-up that would rock this site to its very core!

Ok, as long as you promise not to tell Ron that we've revealed the winning entries, I'll do it.
Promise?

For our THIRD PLACE finalist, we have an entry that heralded Tron as being his favorite old-school, and coupled it with the fan classic Deus Ex. Mister Daehawk, please approach the podium. biggrin

Our SECOND PLACE finalist secured his spot with a little known game that had guys named BoBo bursting through walls in the coop fighting classic Double Dragon, and followed it up with the immensely popular Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. Gratch, we have something here for you!

Our FIRST PLACE winner of the competition, who has survived all the gruelling challenges associated with posting one measly post to secure the crown, has won the judges over with his two entries.

The first being Pac-Man, which was the most influential games of its era and still a load of fun to play. Who can bobbing through a maze popping white pills like a hollywood star, and eating ghosts and fruit in the same mouthful?

The second game, Super Mario Galaxy, is not only current to this year, but as the contestant illustrated, brings back FUN into games. It takes a lot for the eighth game in a series that spans 25+ years to do that and really captures the spirit of gaming.

Congratulations to Ridah!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »

Gracias.  smile

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »

Bah. What a sham. I even linked to the music of the game and vids of gameplay. My emotional anecdote was easily the best in the thread.

Ridah doesn't even like to game slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 30, 2008, 12:55:36 PM

The second game, Super Mario Galaxy, is not only current to this year, but as the contestant illustrated, brings back FUN into games. It takes a lot for the eighth game in a series that spans 25+ years to do that and really captures the spirit of gaming.

er... current to last year.  it's 2008, SMG is so 2007  Tongue

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 04:18:07 PM »

May I request a personal cone of silence please?

(I'm so happy I'm so happy! This is the best day of my liiiiife!)

Woohoo! This is the first contest I've ever won, thanks GT! Thanks Pepsi! But most of all, I want to thank God for helping me through the entry process!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2008, 02:20:16 PM

Quote from: Purge on July 30, 2008, 12:55:36 PM

er... current to last year.  it's 2008, SMG is so 2007  Tongue

I only played it this year. Tongue But you are right, it was holiday 2007. frown I'm not going to modify the post now, the winning entry wasn't based on date anyways. Tongue

Oh, and the judges went through this thoroughly and there was much flipping and some flopping. Thanks to those who participated! (for making it not-so-easy).

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »

Congrats to those above me!..I woulda taken the Space Invaders though for sure smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »

Oh, and the judges went through this thoroughly and there was much flipping and some flopping

I looked like a fish.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: