http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 02:11:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contender Finale  (Read 1546 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2005, 03:38:53 AM »

Are there any fans of this show here?

Spoilers?
That last fight was pretty damn good between Peter and Sergio.
I was a bit surprised to see Peter 'peter' out in the later rounds though. Serg seemed to be much better conditioned, and looked like he could go seven more rounds.

I was also glad to see there was no editing for this fight.

How about Stallone trying to push for a second season.......he kept mentioning wanting to see a re-match.
Heh, he added some humor to this show.  

Tongue

Overall, I enjoyed The Contender, and would watch another 'season' of it.

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 08:34:14 AM »

so who won?  i watched off and on through the season, but missed tonight's finale due to my Guild Wars addiction...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:29:57 AM »

Spoilers:

Sergio won by unanimous decision. The scorecards weren't even close.

This was the first and only episode of this show I've seen. I came into it at about 20 after 8 last night and was riveted.

Don't know that I would watch a full season, but the finale was great.

Stallone was so annoying.  He started saying they need a rematch in the first round.  :x

The Latin Snake sure was fast man...fast!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 11:32:59 AM »

Oh and in the final round when sergio wiped his cut and then licked the blood...that was totally a 'hollywood' moment.  He looked posessed and I kept thinking, man this kid is like a Rocky movie.

Awesome.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 11:40:35 AM »

They've already said there would be no second season.  The ratings took a nose dive after they let Peter and that other idiot back into the contest after they had lost when they built the show around, "loser goes home".
I also had read several weeks ago that Peter and Sergio were the final 2 and apparently it was no secret because for some reason they couldn't keep it a secret very well.
And lastly, i had read an interesting article about the records of all the fighters and who they had fought and let me assure you they were anything but Contenders.  Ya they had nice records but against complete nobodies it was exaggerated to ridiculous lenghts.
In saying that, i actually enjoyed the show.  I had no idea the finale was on last night.

I found the article i read a coule months back about the show.  http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Mar-12-Sat-2005/sports/26049990.html

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 12:22:22 PM »

Don't know that I would watch a full season, but the finale was great.

I was locked in from day 1.  There were some fantastic fights throughout the series and I really hope they move the show to another night and pick up a second season at some point.  A guy can hope right?

I'm really dissapointed in Jessie for the second time...he just would not engage!  His last two fights were the same...he just would not get in there and use his power to drop his opponent.  When the guy you are fighting is two weight classes below you, its clobberin time!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 02:36:29 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
They've already said there would be no second season.  The ratings took a nose dive after they let Peter and that other idiot back into the contest after they had lost when they built the show around, "loser goes home".
I also had read several weeks ago that Peter and Sergio were the final 2 and apparently it was no secret because for some reason they couldn't keep it a secret very well.
And lastly, i had read an interesting article about the records of all the fighters and who they had fought and let me assure you they were anything but Contenders.  Ya they had nice records but against complete nobodies it was exaggerated to ridiculous lenghts.
In saying that, i actually enjoyed the show.  I had no idea the finale was on last night.

I found the article i read a coule months back about the show.  http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Mar-12-Sat-2005/sports/26049990.html

I just read this guy's article.  It's absurd and idiotic.

The show is built on a phony premise. In the opening segment Monday, Stallone tells the fighters, "The only difference between you and the current champions is that they got a chance and you didn't."

Right, Sly.

Looks like Stallone is paying these guys so much he didn't have enough to buy a record book. The combined record of the fighters' opponents is 2,593 wins, 3,560 losses and 295 draws.

Well, here's a news flash...there's a LOSER for each WINNER.  If you add the records of most young fighters, their opponents would have losing records.  After all, if you add up all the boxers in the world, they have a .500 record.  So these guys fought meatbags.  Most boxers do.  

For proof, here's the first 10 fighters of Mike Tyson's career (I picked Tyson at random because he was the youngest Heavyweight champion - let's see who he fought).

Mar. 6 -- Hector Mercedes, Albany, N.Y., (1-6-0)
Apr. 10 -- Trent Singleton, Albany, N.Y., (0-3-0)
May 23 -- Don Halpern, Albany, N.Y., (8-23-0)
June 20 -- Rick Spain, Atlantic City, N.J., (2-23-1)
July 11 -- John Alderson, Atlantic City, N.J., (6-1-0)
July 19 -- Larry Sims, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., (3-19-3)
Aug. 15 -- Lorenzo Canady, Atlantic City, N.J., (7-10-1)
Sept. 5 -- Michael Johnson, Atlantic City, N.J., (15-18-1)
Oct. 9 -- Donnie Long, Atlantic City, N.J., (16-10-0)
Oct. 25 -- Robert Colay, Atlantic City, N.J., (8-11-1)

That's 66-123-7.  I guess Mike wasn't worthy of being a "Contender".  Friggin' absurd.

None of the fighters is good enough even to come close to beating Bernard Hopkins, Felix Trinidad, Winky Wright or Jermain Taylor, the best middleweights in the world.

Duh.  Let's name 4 of the best boxers in the world.  Does this idiot actually expect the very best in the world to risk their reputations and titles on a TV show for a paltry $1 million?  Do you think Don King or Lou Duva would allow that?  

The guys in the Contender are very skilled.  Anyone who has seen the fights knows this.  These guys aren't chumps.  Maybe they're not #1 or #2 in the world, but they are all pretty good fighters.  Sergio, with a little more experience under his belt (he's had 15 fights now), would be a tough opponent for most other boxers in his weight class.  Now if you want to talk about lack of skill, try Oscar's boxing show.  Those guys were chumps.  

As for letting Peter and Ahmed back in, they had to replace the guys who were injured or sick.  After all, you can't have an odd number of boxers or you wouldn't even have a fight for an episode!  One guy got chicken pox and the other quit after a cut.  I don't see this as any kind of manipulation - just common sense, which the writer of the article doesn't seem to have any of.  If the vote was rigged, I'd be angry.  But if it wasn't (and I doubt it was), it was the ONLY way to keep things honest and the right number of boxers in the field.

I hope the show comes back.  It was entertaining, honest and the action was pretty damned good.  The production values were great, too.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 03:37:27 PM »

Here here Blackadar!  I don't see where this guy gets off - he is probably just sensationalizing in an area he knows little about.  Don't let reality stand in your way eh?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 04:43:53 PM »

while i wasn't a big fan of sergio through the series, i'm glad to hear that manfredo didn't win...really didn't want to see someone who shouldn't even have been there take it all.  as they neared the end, i was really starting to like alfonso...supposedly an underdog, but pulled off some great fights.  of course he was taken out by a guy who he never should have been fighting again...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 05:49:21 PM »

the wife and i were HOOKED into this show.  it was incredible.  you not only got to see good fights, but also got to see what these guys are like underneath the beatings.  

And Sergio definately deserved to win.  The announcer said it best "the only boxer left to not hang his gloves."  He absolutely WORKED Peter.  And Peter was absolutely spent at the end of the match.  If that fight went 30 more seconds, Manfredo is on the mat.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 06:21:41 PM »

no second season, it's already been said by everyone involved.
i realize why they let the two who already lost back into the contest, i watched the show.  i just have a problem with building it up as "you lose you go home" and then bring two who already lost back.  regardless of the circumstances, i'd have a problem with that if i'm a contestant myself.  you can't tell me i'm the only one who felt that way.
remind me if we ever here of any of these guys in the future, i'll eat crow at that time.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 09:57:09 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
no second season, it's already been said by everyone involved.
i realize why they let the two who already lost back into the contest, i watched the show.  i just have a problem with building it up as "you lose you go home" and then bring two who already lost back.  regardless of the circumstances, i'd have a problem with that if i'm a contestant myself.  you can't tell me i'm the only one who felt that way.
remind me if we ever here of any of these guys in the future, i'll eat crow at that time.

Clarification: no second season on NBC.  Stallone is currently shopping the show to other networks.

As for letting those two come back, what would your solution be?  You're contracted for a certain number of episodes and a guy gets hurt.  You only have 4 options:

1.  Reduce the number of episodes (not allowed by contract)
2.  Not have a fight on the program (lose your entire viewing audience)
3.  Bring in total strangers (who are these guys?).
4.  Vote to bring back one of the losers (violate the lose you go home thing).

Do you see another option?  If so, what is it?  If not, then what option would you choose and why?  They could have had alternates, but I doubt anyone would volunteer to be on standby.  And what would you do if ylou had to replace someone in round 2 - choose someone who hasn't fought at all?  Or are you just complaining and don't have a solution?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 10:42:02 PM »

ok you are right, how about that?  
seems to me they should have thought about someone getting hurt during a boxing match and having to drop someone before the show starts, beforehand.  sorry, i didn't know it was the viewers responsibility to do that.    i'm just pointing out the obvious here.  
don't freakin hype a show about "you lose you go home" and then have someone return who already lost nearly win the thing.  that's my problem with it.  you take out that garbage and i see nothing wrong with how they let those two guys come back, simple. a show loses credibility when it goes against one of it's themes.
look, i'm not trying to pick a fight.  i watched the entire season and for the most part enjoyed it.  it just lost alot of meaning to me personally the way things worked out.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 10:58:16 PM »

I'd love to see a fight between Sergio and Alfonso now......just to see if Alfonso could've pulled it off had he not lost to Peter the second time around.

But how about that Jackie lady? I know they mentioned why she was there in the beginning, but I forgot since.
And they never mentioned it again.
What was her story?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 04:04:42 AM »

And they never mentioned it again.
What was her story?

She was the den mother.  She just kept up with making sure they got their clothes cleaned, made sure they stayed healthy outside of the ring, etc.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 04:25:39 PM »

Ahh, I see.

Thanks.

Rest in Peace, Nan