http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:48:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering Ipod Touch - Those with one plz chime in  (Read 2312 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:29:44 PM »

I have been eyeing one of these for some time and am seriously considering one now.  Mainly want one for video, audio books, reading books, quick web searches, and such.  Not a big music listener so wouldn't do much with it in that regard.

Would like to hear about your pros and cons, battery life, knowing what you know now would you buy another, etc. etc.

Pretend I am your best bud and I mentioned I might want one of these, what would you advise?

Thinking of the 32g Gen 2 version.

Thanks for any and all comments.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

I'm just getting one in a couple of days.  I figure I'll probably be using it for music and games.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »

I got one for my wife for Chirstmas and she likes it.  She just uses it for calendars and contacts and surfing the internet where there is free public wifi.  The battery is not great, but probably lasts longer than the Iphone. 

A couple of things to note though:

1.  A couple of days ago, Apple announced a new version of the OS for the Iphone and Ipod Touch.  IIRC, they are planning to charge some owners for the updated OS.

2.  There are also rumors of a Iphone 3rd generation coming out this summer.  I imagine a new Ipod Touch will be out shortly after.

I know that waiting for the next version can mean that you are waiting forever, but you should check the enthusiast websites to see what others are saying.
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »

I have a relative who works at Apple.

He says they've been told to expect a new iPhone AND a new iTouch this summer.   He thinks the new iTouch may include a 64GB model.  At any rate, if you wait you should get more iTouch for less money.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »

Quote from: Darkstar One on March 22, 2009, 03:14:15 PM

I have a relative who works at Apple.

He says they've been told to expect a new iPhone AND a new iTouch this summer.   He thinks the new iTouch may include a 64GB model.  At any rate, if you wait you should get more iTouch for less money.

That's always the way it is with technology.  Wait a bit to get something better and cheaper or get it now and be able to use it for the next couple months instead of waiting.   

The iPod models usually roll out in the fall for the Christmas season but I've seen reports of a new iPhone rolling out sooner than that this year.   

I have the iPod Touch 16G.  Got it at Christmas.   It's a nice little device.   I live in the burbs and it's hard to find free wifi outside of coffee shops.  When it's there, I use the touch as my preferred mobile browser.    Note I have a blackberry storm as my usual mobile device.

I use the touch mostly for music and games and some surfing when I'm in wifi.  I use my berry for email and everything else "PDA" related.  Battery life is good for music but not very good for games (just a few hours).   I would invest in some kind of ipod charger for your car to keep the charge up if you expect to use it a lot.    There are only a few games that stand out from the crowd IMO:  Crayon Physics, Rolando, Jelly Car, Line Rider.   One of my kids likes Tap Defense (a tower defense game). 

- shaggy

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »

I have heard of the 64gb maybe coming but no idea of pricing.  If it ends up selling for what the 32 does now, then that is the way to go, but $100 more or so, forget it. 

I think I will wait and see what pricing turns out to be for the new ones if they are that close. 

Being what it is I certainly don't NEED it, so waiting is not a problem. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »

I bought my iPod Touch mainly for the free remote app that lets you control iTunes remotely. Since I stream iTunes to my stereo, I love that feature. It's a very slick device with lots of cool apps/games you can augment it with. If it could get internet anywhere (for free like say the Kindle) it would be about the best thing ever. As it is, it's still a super cool device, and is now my primary iPod (I also have a 1st gen nano which I use for exercise.)...

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »

I have a ipod touch 1g and love it. I use it for watching movies, podcast, vnc to my desktop, email, shazam (music app), games, and music plus a bunch of other apps I have got from the apple apps store. It has been a great device because of all the apps you can get from the apple apps store. I don't read much on it because it is hard on my eyes. The web browser is great and can do more than any other mobile device I have seen, but I don't use it much - it is hard to read with all the zooming and scrolling, but has gotten me to a site quick when I want to view something.

I think the one I have is 8gb and I don't fill it up. The podcast automatically delete when a new one comes in (this is a setting).

I would recommend anybody to get one that likes gadgets with future apps that will be coming and does not want to have a cell phone contract or go with AT&T for cell phone service. Just take a look at the app store and look for something you would be interested in and I bet you will find it.

The 2 gen has some features that I wish mine had, volume buttons, speaker, and I think a mic.

Any specific questions let me know. 

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:52:49 AM »

I have the 32gb Ipod Touch and I love it, and I use it every day. It's basically a PC in your pocket. Web surfing, email, calendar, a notebook, a photo repository, movies, and of course music. It has google maps and I think has some kind of GPS functionality as well if you have a wi-fi connection.

With a couple of freeware tools, it's very easy to convert DVD's to Ipod format, and I do that a lot.

And then there's the games. LOADS and LOADS of great, cheap games. As long as I have the iPod in my pocket, I never get bored standing in line or having to wait for anything.

PS, if you buy one, be sure to get a protective leather case for it. I recommend the DLO.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on March 23, 2009, 02:52:49 AM

PS, if you buy one, be sure to get a protective leather case for it. I recommend the DLO.

Yes! I recommend a speck rubber case. speck website
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »

Best handheld device on the planet...I cannot wait for Verizon to get the iPhone.  I messed with the Blackberry and their touch thingy...NOTHING compares.

My iTouch is just great- TONS of free games, great apps, wifi is great, oh and yeah, music and movies too...smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »

Well I've officially become a sheep.  *sigh*  I didn't want to do it but what finally got me to go out and get one was the App Store.  If only we could all be as smart as Steve Jobs.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

It's a great device but the battery life is incredibly short (2-3 hrs on mine, out of the box).

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 12:05:56 PM »

I have debating one of these for some time, but having a hard time justifying the exhorbitant cost.  But if I get enough use out of it I could see it being worth it.  For those that have it, and had ideas of how much they would use when considering it, do you find you use it as much as you thought you would?   Are they worth it to you, what's the lifespan of one, etc.

Just spill your guts.  If you lost yours today, would you buy another?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »

I don't have one, so I don't have much to offer on that front. However, a girl I work with has one and the games she has on it are pretty cool. If you are only planning on using it for music, though, I can offer you no advice.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »

If you just want it for music it is a horrible choice. The gaming part is a pretty nice feature but meh rather play on a psp or ds.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 30, 2009, 12:05:56 PM

Just spill your guts.  If you lost yours today, would you buy another?

Mine is only about a week old, so I'm still in the honeymoon period.  I do like it quite a bit and would replace it if lost/stolen.

For reference, my previous iPod was a 3rd gen.  I still have it and it still plays music.

What pushed me to get the Touch was my PDA dying.  I wanted a replacement PDA and it seemed that the Touch could do all of that plus give me some portable gaming and music.  So for me, it's more a replacement PDA than a replacement iPod.

I'm annoyed that I had to shell out another $40 for a car and AC adapter.  That seems like it should have been in the box.  And the car and AC adapter from my previous iPod is not compatible with the Touch.  Same with my JBL Soundstation.  It'll play music but won't charge the device.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »

Is there any reason why you wouldn't get an iPhone?  I am really enjoying my iTouch (for everything EXCEPT music-it does that fine I guess, I just haven't had much  of a chance to do much listening) but more than once in the couple of days that I've had it I've found myself wishing that I had some wireless anywhere internet.  It's just so damned handy.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »

I don't want a phone because I get one free from work.  So, that's not needed.

Has anyone read books on theirs?  How is it for reading?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »

Just in case there's confusion...

Mike created a thread regarding considering purchasing an Ipod touch.  People responded.  It then moved on to page 2.  Today Mike created another thread with the same topic.  I didn't see why we need two threads, so I merged them.  So if you see him asking twice in the same thread, its because they were once separate threads biggrin

Carry on.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »

For extra cords, it was recommended that I shop at MeritLine.  I have not as of yet purchased anything there yet, so I can not speak from experience.  The site was mentioned last week at PC World in reference to HDMI cables (along with perennial forum favorite MonoPrice).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 30, 2009, 04:18:30 PM

Mike created a thread regarding considering purchasing an Ipod touch.  People responded.  It then moved on to page 2.  Today Mike created another thread with the same topic.  I didn't see why we need two threads, so I merged them.  So if you see him asking twice in the same thread, its because they were once separate threads biggrin

Carry on.

Yeah, my bad.  I am asking pretty much the same question on multiple web sites and forgot where I was.  Don't suppose the Touch comes with a personal GPS to help people like me figure out where in the hell they are!?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »

We use the touch to control classroom technology, turn projectors on/off, lower screens, select inputs, change volume, and so on. Awesome little device.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 04:17:31 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 30, 2009, 10:13:33 PM

Quote from: naednek on March 30, 2009, 04:18:30 PM

Carry on.

Yeah, my bad.  I am asking pretty much the same question on multiple web sites and forgot where I was.  Don't suppose the Touch comes with a personal GPS to help people like me figure out where in the hell they are!?

Take your sim outta the phone you have and put it in an iphone (3g) ... oo, look, GPS + ipod Touch.

TADA! Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »

I just broke down and got an Ipod Touch 16GB 2nd G from a kiosk at a Macy's (I just didn't want to have to deal with pesky sales people).

I ran by a Micro Center and got a fairly neat case called the iSkin duo:
http://www.iskin.com/touchduo/features_pattern.html

I liked that it's billed as keeping out moisture, and it has a clip on shield for the Touch's screen (that clips on the back when you don't need it).

A few pics:

If you don't know from my other posts, I am an idiot when it comes to figuring out packaging. I was about to get a screwdriver to try to pry the dang thing apart when I finally realized the tiny sticker is all that's holding the clamshell together.  disgust

I also didn't realize for some time you have to pull off the shipping "screen overlay" before you can pry the actual Touch out of its brackets.

W/ case and screen protector. My only problem with the stick-on screen protector is that it's not that smooth and it's a little hard to pull off swiping gestures (I'm assuming it's easier on the bare glass).

Now I have to run off and find some apps...

I feel dumb that I disconnected my WiFi router a couple weeks back cause I hadn't used it in months (I got it to use with my Acer netbook but I ended up not wanting to use it much that way).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:53:08 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 05:16:24 AM »

Gawd, I love it so far.  icon_smile Although I disconnected my Wi-Fi router, I guess it's working off of one of my neighbor's systems or something. Just using Safari on it is fun (yeah I know, I'm 2 years behind in saying that, oh well).  icon_cool It's surreal just viewing the online newsletter I work on, on it (it's very light on graphics, so it loads quickly).

I just wish I had some easy way to transfer my Palm's contacts. It's gonna take me forever. I don't really use my Palm much as a scheduler anymore (my current reporter job is strictly desk-jockey stuff so I just use Outlook on my computer at work), but I do use the contacts, to do, notes, and an encrypted password database program. So I'm hopeful I can find some apps to fill in those gaps.

I'll have to try the 3.0 software update this weekend perhaps. I've heard the Apple servers got really slammed understandably with folks grabbing those.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:19:34 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »

Since the iPhone chatter today will squelch out the iPod Touch 5th gen announcement, I figured maybe it should go here. iPod Nano 7th gen was also announced...

5th gen iPod Touch:
Pricing: 32GB 5th gen: $299, 64GB 5th gen: $399 [so, no 16GB model offered, 5th gen wise]

4th Gen 16GB Touch: $199, 4th Gen 32GB Touch: $249

6.1mm thick, 88 grams in weight, looks to offer similar styling as before but slightly more squared back.

aluminum on the back with a brushed finish

Same 4" Retina screen as iPhone 5

Dual-core A5 processor (believe that's iPad 2's?)

Up to 40 hours of music playback in the touch, 8 hours of video. Slightly increased over the 4th gen Touch.

New iSight Camera: five megapixel iSight camera. Backside illuminated, f/2.4, five element lens; and same sapphire crystal lens cover and panoramic feature as iPhone 5. [still no flash... or does "backside illuminated" mean something like it?]

Loop on lower back of case (which will drive case manufacturers CRAZY imho-bj) to put a lanyard on it for more secure handling

1080p video now with image stabilization and you can use iMovie right on it.

720p camera for the FaceTime HD camera on the front.

Siri Support

Five colors -- raw aluminum, black, blue, yellow and red.

*No 4G, so put away the "use an iPod Touch as an iPhone" ideas...

Aaaand from the end of today's iPhone 5 announcement event...
==================

7th gen iPod Nano
Price: 16GB Nano - $149

super tiny but has a wider screen than before. It's 5.4mm, 38% thinner than the last Nano

2.5-inch display in the nano that's multitouch. Home screen with a half dozen icons.

FM tuner with DVR functionality -- pausing and rewinding

Can view photos, video

Bluetooth

wireless audio streaming

fitness and a pedometer built in

Lightning connector (as with iPhone 5)

Seven colors: aluminum, black, purple, green, blue, yellow and red. (that seems to be for Nano and Shuffle).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:50:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

Whoo hoo for new iPod Touch! Especially with all those new features. Makes me feel justified for waiting for so long (my current Touch has been near death/partially broken for a few months). Too bad I'll have to wait until October to get one.

But I'm definitely going to spring for an extended warranty this time. Based on my experience and from talking with a few other people with iPod Touches, they seem to have about a 2 year half life. Luckily, Amazon has some pretty cheap extended warranties available (unlike Best Buy where they cost 1/3 the price of the device).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 12, 2012, 08:38:03 PM

Whoo hoo for new iPod Touch! Especially with all those new features. Makes me feel justified for waiting for so long (my current Touch has been near death/partially broken for a few months). Too bad I'll have to wait until October to get one.

But I'm definitely going to spring for an extended warranty this time. Based on my experience and from talking with a few other people with iPod Touches, they seem to have about a 2 year half life. Luckily, Amazon has some pretty cheap extended warranties available (unlike Best Buy where they cost 1/3 the price of the device).
Mine (4th gen) has held up very well. I think it depends on what kind of case one uses (my Philips kickstand slider case has held up very well, including the couple times I dropped it on carpeted surfaces) and how much one abuses it.

When they tried to convince me to get Apple's extended warranty on my New iPad, I declined. The guy pushed that it would cover battery replacement one time (if the battery no longer held a charge well), but I know many reputable places online can do that for you, possibly cheaper.

My Touch no longer holds a charge well at all. I should probably just get the battery replaced. I just bought one of these Mophie brand rechargeable battery packs (not a case, just sort of a pocketable pack). I had no idea about a new Touch until reading the rumors this morning.  icon_redface It sounds like the rumor mill was wrong about the Touch incorporating GPS though.

I can still use it with the new stuff I assume, I guess I'd have to get an adapter.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:04:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »

Oh, and who needs my Liveblog copying babble, when you can visit the official site stuff...

5th Gen Touch:
http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/
*Can someone clarify for me if "backside illuminated" means "LED flash" for the camera?
Never mind. Site confirms it finally has an LED flash, yay.  icon_smile

7th Gen Nano:
http://www.apple.com/ipod-nano/

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »

As mentioned above, the battery life on my Touch is shit. I'm not actually convinced it's the battery and not a memory problem, though, since sometimes it will work for at least 30 minutes unplugged with apps running and other times it turns off as soon as I remove it from the power charger. The left side of my touch screen is also not sensitive any more. And just recently my Touch has decided that it won't adjust the screen direction when the Touch is tilted. So all in all it's fair to say that my 3G Touch is on its last legs. Perhaps the newer versions are made of hardier stuff, though. In my Touch's defense, however, I have dropped it on hard surfaces multiple time and even though it was in a case, I don't think the case offered much protection. Plus, I live in Florida so my Touch gets damp simply from sitting around.

edit: Oh and sound only comes out of one ear when wearing headphones (this happens with even brand new headphones).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:24:31 PM by Ralph-Wiggum » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 12, 2012, 09:22:53 PM

As mentioned above, the battery life on my Touch is shit. I'm not actually convinced it's the battery and not a memory problem, though, since sometimes it will work for at least 30 minutes unplugged with apps running and other times it turns off as soon as I remove it from the power charger. The left side of my touch screen is also not sensitive any more. And just recently my Touch has decided that it won't adjust the screen direction when the Touch is tilted. So all in all it's fair to say that my 3G Touch is on its last legs. Perhaps the newer versions are made of hardier stuff, though. In my Touch's defense, however, I have dropped it on hard surfaces multiple time and even though it was in a case, I don't think the case offered much protection. Plus, I live in Florida so my Touch gets damp simply from sitting around.

edit: Oh and sound only comes out of one ear when wearing headphones (this happens with even brand new headphones).
Well, OK, you sound like a candidate for a 5th gen.  icon_smile

While you can get the screen replaced (the same Zagg screen protector mall kiosk where I had my Touch's screen protector replaced can also handle screen replacement, for example), and the battery replaced, I guess there's no guarantee your Touch would work like new at that point.

I would probably recommend a sealed "hard case" if humidity is a major issue where you live. Though sometimes some of the best cases don't have a Touch variant (they'll just make an iPhone model because it's presumbly a much bigger, profitable market).

btw, here's the video from Apple's event yesterday:
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2012/
*The iPod Touch stuff is waaaaaay late in the presentation. About the 1 hr/20 min/40 sec mark.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:36:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »

My new iPod has shipped (from Amazon)! W00t!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 03:30:19 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 16, 2012, 12:02:48 PM

Congratz. What color did you get?  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 03:32:25 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 17, 2012, 03:30:19 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 16, 2012, 12:02:48 PM

Congratz. What color did you get?  icon_smile

Black. Because I'm boring. And racist.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 07:40:52 PM »

A little warning that Apple ditched the light sensor (so, no auto-brightness setting) in the new Touch, claiming it's "too thin" to fit one in:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/apples-phil-schiller-new-ipod-touch-too-thin-for-ambient-light-sensor/

And an iFixit tear down:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod+Touch+5th+Generation+Teardown/10803
*Their conclusion is it's better made than previous iterations, but will be more difficult/more expensive to repair. They said much of it is soldered together, and since it's assembled mostly with adhesive and clips, it's tough to open. Maybe a moot point for most.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:53:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »

I didn't even know that there was a light sensor in the old models (maybe there wasn't in the 3G model?), so that hasn't bothered me.

In fact, so far, so good. The screen is beautiful. And having a camera and a microphone allows me to do so much more with it. Plus, Siri! I asked her when the first UNC bball game was and she not only gave me the date and time in an instant, she also told me whom we were playing!

So far, my only gripe (which I suppose extends to all those who have upgraded to IOS6) is the awful, awful podcast app. You can no longer download podcasts in your music window but have to use the new app (or a non-Apple app or download to Itunes then transfer over). The new app wouldn't be much of a problem if it didn't take forever to download podcasts. I tried using it this morning and in half an hour it managed to download only 1 of the 5 podcasts I queued up. The app not only downloads incredibly slow, but it also stops downloading if you open up another app!! What a piece of shit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: