http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:18:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comics I've been reading  (Read 886 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2005, 01:00:30 AM »

I've been really enjoying comics the past few months.

Invincible, Powers, Ultimate Spiderman, and The Surpreme Power minis have been really good. The writing in the Xmen books has been above par as well. The Infiniate Crisis over at DC has been a lot better and interesting that I expect. It seems to me that DC is going to reverse crisis here. Ofcourse thats what the series seems to be hinting at but reading on Newsarama with Superman returning to pre-crisis numbering. JLU, Wonderwoman, flash and a dozen other titles getting canned, and that Miller's DarkNight and Waid's Kingdom Come will be washed away at the end of it. It just sounds crazy.

However the best has been the Spiderman "The Other: Evolve or Die" story arc. Even the 2 past slow issues that everyone has been bitching about. Part 6 however (Amazing Spiderman 526) just floored me. Its going to be tough to back away from what happened to him.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 01:40:01 AM »

What is the going rate(price) for comic books now a days?

Ye Olde Farte
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 01:51:59 AM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
What is the going rate(price) for comic books now a days?

Generally $3 a pop.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 08:44:55 AM »

I would recommend Fables.  Look for the trade paperback titled "Fables: Legends in Exile".  They're up to volume 5 of trade paperbacks now.

It's centered around the idea that the fables, characters from all those classic fairy tales, some fantasy novels, and nursury rhymes, have had their homelands invaded by an army led a powerful entity known as The Adversary.  Forced to flee, they've fled to the mundane world, although many didn't make it.  Arriving sometime in the 1800s they've managed to stake out a small section of new york which they call Fabletown.

Those fables that can pass as human reside in New York City proper, while the other fables live in a distant closed off area known as The Farm.

The series opens up with the murder of Rose Red.  With Snow White as the uptight leader of Fabletown (don't mention the dwarves) and Bigby Wolf (aka Big Bad Wolf) as Fabletown's sheriff investigating the murder.

You meet many known characters, like Jack from the beanstalk, the frog prince (who has a penchant for eating flies in public), Beaty and Beast, Cinderella, Blue Beard, and even Pinnochio.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 09:15:24 AM »

Fables sounds great!  My wife is currently an elementary school librarian and I'm betting even she'd get a kick out of it.

Am I safe in assuming it's not suitable for children?  Or is it something she could consider adding to their shelves?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 03:56:47 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Fables sounds great!  My wife is currently an elementary school librarian and I'm betting even she'd get a kick out of it.

Am I safe in assuming it's not suitable for children?  Or is it something she could consider adding to their shelves?

Not of kids under 14.  No nudity that I can recall, but violence, language, etc. Doesn't really step far from prime-time-TV-level stuff.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 07:32:56 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Not of kids under 14.  No nudity that I can recall, but violence, language, etc. Doesn't really step far from prime-time-TV-level stuff.

Yeah, Fables is a part of DC's Vertigo line which is basically for adult non-mainstream stuff.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 08:40:22 PM »

Later issues do have nudity and sex, and quite a bit of violence, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 17.  She could add it to her shelves, just make sure it's limited to mature readers.  I'd actually like to see comics on library shelves, at least the trade paperbacks.

If your wife liked all those old tales, she'd get a kick out of the characters in Fables.  There's a lot of interaction between them and it's really interesting, and often funny, to hear about past interactions or how personality quirks from their fable existance affect their lives in the mundane world.

One funny instance in the first comic is how one of the three little pigs crashes at Bigby Wolf's apartment to avoid going back to the farm, Bigby wants him out, but the pig goes on about how Bigby will let him stay since there's no better sign that Bigy has been reformed than that fact that a pig he'd tried to eat before is how staying in his apartment unscathed.

Oh yeah, they arrived in the 1800s, but it's now modern New York, forgot to mention that.

I'm also reading The Walking Dead, which is your classic zombie tale.  It's nice, but the writing is starting to get a bit stale right around the third trade paperback with the constant use of, "It's good! No, it's bad!" changes.

I also picked up the first paperback of 100 Bullets, a crime and revenge series of shorts.  Based around the idea that a mysterious man is giving people a briefcase with a gun, 100 bullets, and undenyable proof of someone's involvement in that character's past downfall.  Those 100 bullets are untraceable, any investigations that turn up the bullets are stopped and the records erased.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 08:46:16 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Later issues do have nudity and sex, and quite a bit of violence, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 17.  She could add it to her shelves, just make sure it's limited to mature readers.  I'd actually like to see comics on library shelves, at least the trade paperbacks.

So would I.  But this one'll have to wait, as she's an elementary school librarian.  biggrin   Which sucks, 'cause I was hoping it'd be a "free" way for me to get to read 'em.  :twisted:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 01:23:36 AM »

Here's my current pull list:

Ultimate Spider-Man
Uncanny X-men
Astonishing X-men
Powers
Invincible
The Walking Dead
Conan
The Goon

Invincible - A great superhero book.  Unfortunately, I can't really reveal why it's great without ruining some of the fantastic plot twists.  

Conan - Amazing art by Cary Nord.  The series is very faithful to the original Robert E. Howard stories.

The Goon - This is quickly becoming my current favorite.  

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 01:54:02 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I also picked up the first paperback of 100 Bullets, a crime and revenge series of shorts.  Based around the idea that a mysterious man is giving people a briefcase with a gun, 100 bullets, and undenyable proof of someone's involvement in that character's past downfall.  Those 100 bullets are untraceable, any investigations that turn up the bullets are stopped and the records erased.

This is one that I'm actually pretty interested in.  Can you tell me more about it, like is the series still ongoing or how many TPB's are available?

Finally, for TPB's is there a good place for them (like a good online comic shop) or is Amazon my best bet?  I don't know of any comic shops in my area (though I suspect they must exist(?).  Thanks.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 04:26:33 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

This is one that I'm actually pretty interested in.  Can you tell me more about it, like is the series still ongoing or how many TPB's are available?

Finally, for TPB's is there a good place for them (like a good online comic shop) or is Amazon my best bet?  I don't know of any comic shops in my area (though I suspect they must exist(?).  Thanks.

100 Bullets is still ongoing.  I forgot the number of current trades that are out but I think there are seven or so.

Amazon is good for trades but I also really like:

www.instocktrades.com

who generally have excellent discounts.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 06:16:59 PM »

I just added all available Fables to my christmas list, thanks for the idea. biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: