http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:44:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comics for a 9 year old  (Read 218 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:11:15 AM »

My son is a voracious reader.  He's read a ton of books, but he started reading the comics page in the paper.  Then he started tearing through all the comic collections we have around the house.  He's closing in on the end of the complete Calvin and Hobbes.  Now he's interested in superhero comics.  I'm afraid my collection is long since gone.  We recently completed playing Lego Marvel Superheroes (platinum, yeah!).  He's seen a couple of the Marvel studios movies.  I was thinking about getting Marvel Unlimited for the iPad.  I didn't know how much of the material is appropriate for his age.  Any recommendations for comics or series he could go through?  Is there something better than Marvel Unlimited?  Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 03:02:53 PM »

Marvel Unlimited is a pretty fantastic value. But it doesn't have an parental controls and most of the stuff is geared towards young adults+. There a lot of a comics that are pretty violent on there. Don't think I've come across anything with sex/nudity.

The only other option is buying comics piecemeal from the Marvel or DC stores or Comixology. Comixology has both Marvel and DC comics and has the best app for reading comics so I'd recommend that. They also constantly have various series on sales there. I rarely see them put kids comics on sale but it happens every once in awhile. You can buy single issues, or in several cases bundles, and they just started subscriptions on some series. I don't see any parental controls but they wouldn't be able to purchase/download any comics you don't own without knowing your site or Apple password.

Here's a link to their kids comics - they have age ratings for each to them: https://www.comixology.com/Childrens/comics-genre/33
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »

I believe Unlimited lets you download a handful of comics for on the go reading.  I was planning to use that feature to let him read the comics I choose for him not let him roam free.  Obviously I would have to use the old trust but verify technique to make sure he follows the rules.  However, if there's not much content on Unlimited that he could read, I can always wait.  I remember one or two of the spiderman series were geared for younger audiences.  Of course, Batman had the same.

I do have the Comixology app, but haven't bought much there.  That's a good idea if Unlimited won't work.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »

Yeah that's certainly true. You can download, I think, up to 15 comics download at once. But if Wi-Fi is on he'll have access to any of the comics in the store via the app.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »

Can you still get a subscription for home delivery of actual comic books?  I would love to find a title or two to pique my 8 yr olds interest in reading comics.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:17:59 AM »

Dreamland Chronicles is a fun, kid friendly series.

Ongoing for a kickstarter collectible card game where you can get all the books/pdfs (or can order separately)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1393317297/the-dreamland-chronicles-digital-trading-card-game

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: