http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:51:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comcastic my foot  (Read 1145 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2006, 11:53:32 PM »

If Comcast's internet service is so bloody terrific why then am I power cycling my modem and router at least once per day? Shouldn't the connection, you know, stay active for at least a week at a time?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:04:02 AM »

When I had issues like that, I had to get a different cable modem, so keep on calling them when it happens.  Eventually they should send someone out to replace it.  (Just FYI, I have Time Warner broadband, so your experience might be different.)

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:10:50 AM »

For the most part I have no problems with Comcast as my ISP.  When I do have problems they come in one big wave, like half their metro Atlanta grid goes crashing down.  I don't think their technicians that fix this stuff are ever in a big hurry, either.

For all the problems I hear about Comcast I must say I'm pleased with my service.  If nothing else it's usually blazing fast.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 12:34:09 AM »

I have Charter and dont see that many problems but when we get one its always a nasty one.

At least you guys get 6 and 8 megs down speed..Charter has us stuck at 3megs forever.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 12:38:13 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
If Comcast's internet service is so bloody terrific why then am I power cycling my modem and router at least once per day? Shouldn't the connection, you know, stay active for at least a week at a time?

I know somebody in the CT area who has the same ISP, and he bitches about their craptastic service constantly.

Very, very shitty ISP, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 01:04:51 AM »

Sounds like something that happened to mine when I first got it.  After about a month of this they finally sent out another tech who looked at it and made a discovery.  Turns out the techie who installed it didn't trim the loose bits off the coaxial cable when he cut it and some of them were sticking out of where he crimped the adapter.  They were picking up interference from all the other signals in the air which would cause the connection to drop.  He fixed it and I haven't had a problem since <knock on wood>.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 04:41:10 AM »

There is a ton of uncovered wires outside the townhouse where we live that Comcast has done exactly nothing about. Maybe they need to receive a call from me this week telling them to get their lazy asses out there and fix this crap.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:33:13 AM »

Probably is the modem. Sounds like a similar issue we had with ours awhile back where it kept cycling. Things break though and that was the case with ours. Comcast came out and replaced it which fixed the issue for us.

We've had Comcast cable for at least 5 years so of course have encountered some bad situations; at least one where we considered going to DSL. But looking at it over the 5 year period and how much we use it it's been reliable and we've been satisfied with it, so glad we didn't switch.

I don't know if we're in the minority though as far as getting decent service since most people talk about the horror stories. 'course it's rare for people to kumbaya about good service.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 05:34:37 AM »

Well I have called them twice before bitching about the modem and requesting they come out and replace it and both times they messed with the line outside and refused to replace the modem.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 05:52:38 AM »

Comcast here, in the metro detroit area myself, and have never had a problem with it.  it never goes down, even in bad storms for the most part.  Last week when the really high winds blew through it was down for about 30 minutes then back up.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 06:39:09 AM »

All week long we've been having internet problems.  We use comcast as well.  

I called tech support and the dude just wanted me off the phone.  He kept telling me it was our computer which was BS.  

Our connection speeds were 9.1 kb/s   That's like 1995.

I finally managed to get him to schedule for a technician to come over with a modem.  (I told him, I don't want to be driving across town to pick it up at their office, and I they have to come on a Saturday)  Well, he got me scheduled for today.  Turns out it was the modem, which my roomate and I knew all along, and now were getting   7455 kbps or 931.8 KB/sec.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 08:53:14 AM »

I had a very similar experience to yours neadnek a couple months ago.  Out of the blue my connection went on the fritz.  Even loading a forum page like this took ages.  I ran diagnostics on my computer, and everything was fine.  I called comcast tech support, and he kept insisting it was my computer.  He said he could communicate with the modem, but not my computer, so the problem was between the modem and computer.  I changed the cable, reset the modem, etc.  No good.   I felt the modem was shot, but mr tech monkey wouldn't hear of it.  I was very, very insistant about getting a tech guy out.  He finally scheduled one.

Sure enough, it was a faulty modem.   :x

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 02:58:19 PM »

I have Comcast in Boston and in general, it sucks.  The speeds are slow, the modem has to be frequently reset, it had just stopped working on several occassions, etc...  Unfortunately, I have no option other than getting a land line and DSL, which I don't want to do.

xbox live: nude rick james
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 03:55:49 PM »

i will not deny that as a general rule Comcasts support is HORID!  They have no idea what they are talking about.

I had a interuption for late payment last month, which is nothing new for me,  I go down to the office give them money, and they turn it back on.  Instantaneous.  Last month, I get back home, nothing.  I wait 15 minutes nothing.  I call support, and the guy on the line tells it sometimes it takes up to 6 hours.  I told him, really, cuz its always instantaneous.  he gives me a call number if its not on in a hour.  So I call back. A hour later.  he cant seem to get it going.  He says, let me figure out what the problem is and i will call back.

About 2 hours later, this guy calls back.  Whatever they did, they fixed, cuz it was back on.  Nice guy.  but, didnt seem like he knew what he was talking about.  

not like this isnt the same as anywhere else you really go.  Best Buy who?

As for my regul;ar service though.  never had a problem, always have a good connection speed.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 06:31:24 AM »

Comcast is ok.  If you want to see terrible, try dealing with SBC.

The only problem I had with Comcast was when they fuxxord their DNS servers.  Not really much of a problem for me, since I just switched to a DNS root server, but for your average non-technical customer, it's a showstopper.  What kind of idiot upgrades ALL their DNS servers at the same time, and doesn't even bother making a rollback plan?  Fuckin' amateurs.  But hey, it's not like DNS for their entire region is important or anything.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 05:56:43 PM »

I have Comcast in the near-Boston area, and don't have any complaints or problems...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: