http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comcast  (Read 797 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »

I am sure everyone has seen this by now, but just in case.

Customer service call from hell. Soundcloud link at the bottom of the article.

Basically a guy calls to cancel and the CS rep acts like it's a bad break up and won't do it. Insisting how great Comcast is repeatedly. I find it hard to believe its real, but it's on the internet, so it must be. It's a good listen if you need a laugh.

I have Comcast for cable and internet and while I don't hate them, they aren't great. Little things, like when I ordered I wanted the blast internet, I didn't get it. Called them and they said my package deal was for the slower speed. I had a link up for it, but she said that wasn't what I had. They gave in and included it, but it was a fight.

Their fancy new X1 cable box is crap. Very slow and you never know what is going to work on any given day. Favorites disappearing. Then they are back. Then I can't delete them. On-Demand showing episodes but not playing them. Stuff like that.

And then this week my internet went out every few hours for a couple of days. I didn't bother to call them, but a friend does who needs internet for work. She said they were very unhelpful and didn't even offer a credit for the downtime.

Still, I have never had a cable company that I did like. We need competition.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »

that is not surprising.  If the call center guy just admitted that he was required to ask the questions, I would be ok with him personally.  as it is, he comes off like a douche. 

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:39:51 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 16, 2014, 12:29:42 AM

What you need is a municipal internet provider. I get mine (cable tv, too!) through our electrical utility. It's taxpayer owned and the payments stay in the community; any profits get turned over to town government. They have fewer than 10,000 customers and when I have a problem I know I'm going to be speaking to either Donna or Chris.

That's right: communism. I'm glad our utility was chartered in 1892 because the conglomerates have made it next to impossible for communities to establish them now. Internet service should be a public utility like electricity and water. Duh.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:25:26 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 16, 2014, 01:39:51 AM

What you need is a municipal internet provider. I get mine (cable tv, too!) through our electrical utility. It's taxpayer owned and the payments stay in the community; any profits get turned over to town government. They have fewer than 10,000 customers and when I have a problem I know I'm going to be speaking to either Donna or Chris.

That's right: communism. I'm glad our utility was chartered in 1892 because the conglomerates have made it next to impossible for communities to establish them now. Internet service should be a public utility like electricity and water. Duh.

House just passed a bill today to make it harder for towns to provide internet themselves. I really just want more choices. A dish isn't suitable in a lot of apartments I have lived. DSL just isn't fast enough.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:42:05 AM »

Just got into this tangle with Centurylink.  So my mom lives in a 55+ community.  At the pedestal outside the park they are getting 26db of signal, but by the time it makes it to my mom's house it's 5.3 db, less than what is required to even remain connected, much less actually use the Internet with any reliability.  So I talk to the tech and he tells me that they'll likely just disqualify the entire area and roll back all of their internet rather than putting a tap in to boost the signal.   saywhat   I'm continuously blown away by just how awful customer service has become.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

I have something like this too, internet and tv through the electric power board here in Chattanooga.  They claim
We have the fastest internet in the country and I couldn't wait to switch from comcast to them 2 years ago, not because of the speed, but because of my feelings towards comcast, which are enormously negative.

All I'll say, but the audio clip above isn't surprising, after a conversation I had with Comcast, my wife claims that is the first time she's actually been concerned that I would be arrested.   They are a bad company, and will never receive one more cent from me.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 17, 2014, 02:25:26 AM

House just passed a bill today to make it harder for towns to provide internet themselves. I really just want more choices. A dish isn't suitable in a lot of apartments I have lived. DSL just isn't fast enough.

I'm constantly amazed at how much power cable companies wield when it comes to television and internet. 

I'm constantly dismayed at how they use that power to screw over customers.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 17, 2014, 07:31:43 PM

I have something like this too, internet and tv through the electric power board here in Chattanooga.  They claim
We have the fastest internet in the country and I couldn't wait to switch from comcast to them 2 years ago, not because of the speed, but because of my feelings towards comcast, which are enormously negative.

Are you going to be able to keep your service as is? IIRC, it's a Tennessee rep that is the one who started this bill in the first place. She is heavily funded by the cable companies as well. 
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »

In addition to our local company (BELD), we have access to Verizon and Comcast. I know it's highly unusual for any market to have that much competition as the conglomerates normally carve up the country into exclusive zones. Comcast routinely has the cheapest come-on rates, and they routinely go door-to-door trying to poach BELD's customers. Comcast's reputation precedes them and I will never switch (although they almost tricked me once by masquerading as "Xfinity" without using the Comcast name anywhere). BELD isn't innovative, and their email service is embarrassingly unreliable, but I like to spend my money in my community whenever I can.

Quote from: hepcat on July 17, 2014, 07:34:14 PM

Quote from: Lee on July 17, 2014, 02:25:26 AM

I'm constantly amazed at how much power cable companies wield when it comes to television and internet. 

I'm constantly dismayed at how they use that power to screw over customers.

But never, ever surprised.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 17, 2014, 09:25:48 PM

Are you going to be able to keep your service as is? IIRC, it's a Tennessee rep that is the one who started this bill in the first place. She is heavily funded by the cable companies as well. 

I haven't heard about this, id like to see them try and take it from me though.  I kid of course, but my particular city is putting a lot on our recognition as " the gig city" and I assure you this isn't because of "Xfinity".  In reality it's a big reason we've had Amazon and VW open centers/plants here.  There is way too much riding on that for some broad (sp, never used it in this context before today, but it seemed appropriate) with Comcast money in her pocket to do a damn thing about it.

Our politicians frankly won't let that happen.  If they do, I'll be here talking about it I promise.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »

The absolute best part of this is how much money Comcast is spending here (I'm sure I mentioned I HATE them).  Billboards, radio ads, all referencing the EPB.

I heard a few weeks ago that they would be pulling out of our city and letting Charter take over.  I know not if that is accurate, but they're getting their asses kicked here so it wouldn't surprise me.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 18, 2014, 07:34:30 PM

I have something like this too, internet and tv through the electric power board here in Chattanooga.  They claim

I haven't heard about this, id like to see them try and take it from me though.  I kid of course, but my particular city is putting a lot on our recognition as " the gig city" and I assure you this isn't because of "Xfinity".  In reality it's a big reason we've had Amazon and VW open centers/plants here.  There is way too much riding on that for some broad (sp, never used it in this context before today, but it seemed appropriate) with Comcast money in her pocket to do a damn thing about it.

Our politicians frankly won't let that happen.  If they do, I'll be here talking about it I promise.

Summary of what is going on in your state with muni-broadband. Your state already came up with a law limiting it, and your congressman is leading the way at the federal level. All of this is being funded by the big cable companies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »

I've had Comcast cable and internet service for going on 17 years now, and can count the number of issues on one hand.  Even when one does arise, they've been pretty quick to get it fixed, and their people have all be quite nice (even if they don't seem like the sharpest knives in the drawer). 

Guess I should just consider myself lucky.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 18, 2014, 10:50:27 PM

I've had Comcast cable and internet service for going on 17 years now, and can count the number of issues on one hand.  Even when one does arise, they've been pretty quick to get it fixed, and their people have all be quite nice (even if they don't seem like the sharpest knives in the drawer). 

That you are probably paying entirely too much compared to what some countries in Europe or Asia get for their money should make you a little bit unhappy with them. Also because companies like Google have proved that it's possible to provide high speed internet for a lot less than Comcast or their competitors.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 21, 2014, 07:58:53 PM

I've had Comcast cable and internet service for going on 17 years now, and can count the number of issues on one hand.  Even when one does arise, they've been pretty quick to get it fixed, and their people have all be quite nice (even if they don't seem like the sharpest knives in the drawer).  

That you are probably paying entirely too much compared to what some countries in Europe or Asia get for their money should make you a little bit unhappy with them.

I suppose, but then you could say that about a lot of things.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:33:55 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »

This is how i feel about Time Warner. Have been rock solid and have had good customer service.  Still they keep raising my bill every year so it's not like I don't have something to complain about...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »

Costs constantly go up for services that rarely improve. I've had Cox cable TV and internet for eight years, and other than slowly rising bills, they've be great. I'm moving into a new house next month, and my Comcast is my only real broadband option. Unfortunately, it comes with a higher monthly bill for speeds that are barely more than half what Cox is giving me now. It's the only option in a rural area though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »

Semi-related, but I have ATT Uverse and I got sick of seeing those amazing deals for new customers, so I called up and threatened to cancel and they offered me more channels and my bill dropped by $60 a month.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 07:42:19 AM »

Comcast just installed cable to our neighbors, now we have no internet.  I go outside and there is a cord running from the junction box across the lawn and to their cable box (which isn't even a box, just a bunch of wires and connectors hanging on the outside of their house).

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that our cable service is no longer working after they screw with it, and I also want to know how I'm supposed to mow the lawn with 30+ feet of cable just laying across it.  crazy people.  I'd upload pictures, but I have the feeling I need to conserve my phones data for the upcoming week. slywink

I really wanted to play the Destiny beta for XB1, but might not have internet in time.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »

I've also had exceptional service from Comcast. My first outage in the last year happened three days ago, and when I called an automated message replied that the issue for my address was known, and a team was out fixing the problem, with a three hour window until service was restored.

Can't ask for much more than that. And my price plan is reasonable after one phone call was placed.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 22, 2014, 07:42:19 AM

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that our cable service is no longer working after they screw with it, and I also want to know how I'm supposed to mow the lawn with 30+ feet of cable just laying across it.  crazy people. 

It's probably a temporary run until they get a crew out to channel it.  If it's not taken care of in 5-7 business days, call and complain.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »

considering that my cable connection went down at the same time they installed it AND has been down ever since I'm not sure I'm willing to wait Tongue
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 12:21:48 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 18, 2014, 10:32:07 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 18, 2014, 07:34:30 PM

I have something like this too, internet and tv through the electric power board here in Chattanooga.  They claim

I haven't heard about this, id like to see them try and take it from me though.  I kid of course, but my particular city is putting a lot on our recognition as " the gig city" and I assure you this isn't because of "Xfinity".  In reality it's a big reason we've had Amazon and VW open centers/plants here.  There is way too much riding on that for some broad (sp, never used it in this context before today, but it seemed appropriate) with Comcast money in her pocket to do a damn thing about it.

Our politicians frankly won't let that happen.  If they do, I'll be here talking about it I promise.

Summary of what is going on in your state with muni-broadband. Your state already came up with a law limiting it, and your congressman is leading the way at the federal level. All of this is being funded by the big cable companies.

Thank you for sharing Lee, she isn't in my district, but anyone supporting this nonsense will not get my vote!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: