http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:31:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College football is finally here!  (Read 2347 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »

I swear, I feel like a kid before Christmas this morning.   I have no idea how I'm going to concentrate enough to actually get 5 hours of work done when my team opens the season against Michigan at the Big House in 6 hours.   There's going to be some serious clock watching going on today.

Cannot.  Freaking.  Wait.   drool

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »

GO UTES!  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

Lets go Buffalo(bulls, not bills)!

Start of season - 92 on the CBS 120....
End of season prediction: 40's to 50's smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »

I'm really not sure what to expect out of USC this year.  The defense should be amazing, but I'm not convinced that Sanchez or the receivers are really all that good.  The backs should be great, but the o-line is also suspect.  I figure the Pac-10 title is extremely likely (ASU being the scare team), but I am not so sure about a shot at the NC.  Would be nice though slywink.

gellar
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2008, 04:57:07 PM

GO UTES!  icon_twisted

What is a Ute?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 07:14:15 PM »

Woo pigs!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »

Hell of a first half by the Utes.  Johnson looks sharp, Asiata is bowling over defenders, our D is playing awesome, and their only big plays have been either stupid mistakes by us (the PI call on the interception) or bad calls by the ref (the receiver's heel was out of bounds on UM's one long pass play).  Hoping we can keep in up in the second half.

GO UTES!!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »

Whew.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 11:42:37 PM »

Be afeered of Tech and it's triple option offense. Be very afeered!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 30, 2008, 11:20:03 PM

Whew.

you guys almost blew it!

Because I can,
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 03:58:53 AM »

Duke won a football game. Please gather your loved ones and head to the nearest shelter, where you will be instructed as to what do when the upcoming Apocalypse occurs. Thank you.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 06:15:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2008, 11:55:41 PM

Quote from: Gratch on August 30, 2008, 11:20:03 PM

Whew.

you guys almost blew it!

Sadly, that's been our calling card over the last couple years:  losing games that we should win.  Our offensive coordinator tends to play not to lose instead of playing to win, which always leaves us biting our nails.  There's no such thing as a sure win with this team, no matter how far ahead we get.

Regardless, it's pretty damn cool to win a game in the Big House and add to our winning record against BCS schools.  smile

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:12:58 AM »

Well, at least the Badgers played a division 1a team, So I'm happy.  Youngstown State, OSU?  Really? WTF? And you may have cost yourself Beanie Wells for that (they were up 33 points when he got hurt...).  Good Luck against USC if he's hurt for that game.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 12:38:04 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 01, 2008, 12:12:58 AM

Well, at least the Badgers played a division 1a team, So I'm happy.  Youngstown State, OSU?  Really? WTF? And you may have cost yourself Beanie Wells for that (they were up 33 points when he got hurt...).  Good Luck against USC if he's hurt for that game.

OSU always starts out against easy teams and then gets the tougher ones all in a row, usually after the 4th game- just look at their past schedules and you can see a pattern from the last few years.  As long as he's back for the Michigan game that's all that matters. 

At least it wasn't a loss against Appalachian State, right Devil?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »

LOL

So, clearly I am not a bandwagon jumper....

Buffalo's next game:
at Pittsburgh (ESPN+/SNY)

Wonderful, I'd say we could win this game, since we probably are better than Bowling Green, _but_, Pitt just lost to em and needs to make a statement or their season is all over but the tears, so I expect a hard fought contest with Pitt exacting some serious revenge. 

Although Wiley could pass all over em and Pitt would be relegated to the bottom of every chart on the planet....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »

looks like someone forgot to tell Ohio State that they need to show up for a football game today  icon_lol

Because I can,
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »

O-H-I-O hang on snoopy, snoopy hang on.  I hate the buckeyes, go OHIO and Go BOOMER SOONERS. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 05:57:56 PM »

well, at least they have 9 more practice games until Michigan.

Because I can,
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »

OH HELL YES!!!!
A Badgers QB who looks like a QB!  A 300 yd passing game with an average completion of 18+ yards (ie, for the first time in my lifetime, we were throwing downfield).  I don't care it was Marshall, at least we are trying to become a real contender in college football.
Damn I'm, psyched! dude

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »

well, Soulbringer should be happy to see OSU get killed by USC tomorrow night.  it'll be good to get a tough practice game in after the way they played last weekend.

Because I can,
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

OK, at least OSU will NOT be in the title game this year.  That brutal beating will be enough to keep them out of it.  I can only hope Tressel decides to keep substituting QB's on individual plays for the the next three weeks. retard  If he does, Badgers have a shot at beating them.  Seriously, Tressel has turned into John Cooper (sans the losses to Michigan).  To see how terribly mismanaged the talent at OSU is (they send as many guys to the NFL as anyone else) that they get crushed against anyone who fields the same level of talent is just sad.   

And I think I saw the worst call in football that I have ever seen in the Badgers game yesterday.  The Fresno State receiver catches the ball, puts it away takes three steps...and gets hit, the ball getting poked out.  The ref rules it a fumble...but after review (which is crystal clear, it happened out in space), the ref says it was an incomplete pass.  Sheer fucking bullshit.  Bullshit WAC refs trying hard to give the game to the WAC team.  Blown calls are part of the game, but when you go to the videotape and it isn't even close, the bullshit has got to stop.  There is a reason no team will play a WAC team with WAC refs in a WAC home stadium.  I can't stand corruption, and when reffing is this far off, there's no other explanation.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »

OK yeah... now I expect USC to make a run for the NC.  Wow, that was probably the most impressive win I've seen in the last 10 years of following the team.

gellar
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 02:09:14 AM »

Sorry Im late to the party again, but yeah the condoms put a hurtin on the head cheese of the big 1.  USC looked good but tosu is not a powerhouse and hasnt been in the past 3 years.  I think USC will be in the NC game with the winner of the BIG 12.  While I think the SEC has a few good teams this year, playing each other will ultimately knock them all out.  So, In my opinion look for a USC vs OU/Missouri matchup in the Orangebowl.  Im hoping its OU since I have tickets to the NC game this year but Mizzou is looking pretty impressive on O. 
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 03:52:56 AM »

And for our Bi-Weekly recap on a team no one will ever accuse me of being a bandwagoner for.

Buffalo lost to pitt in week 2 as Pitt who had more or less been played very evenly pulled ahead in the last quarter to win it.

So this week, Buffalo took on Temple.  I watched in the 4th quarter as buffalo went ahead by three, then temple drove down the field and scored with 30 seconds left.  I was at work so I went to do my job and 20 mins later everyone is like: We ran around the building looking for you, you heard what happened in the bull game right?  They scored with 6 seconds left on a hail mary pass.

Thats what I get for assuming it's a normal buffalo team.

Bulls 2-1... CBS sportsline refuses to load so I cant check their movement this week on the Top 120.... since they clearly wont be near the top 25 polls anything this century slywink

Next week: Sat. 20 : at Missouri  ruh roh

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 04:01:48 AM »

Loved watching USC absolutely CRUSH Ohio State. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 06:28:16 AM »

Vols

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

Annnnnnd Soulbringer demonstrates the level of objectivity he has.  33-5 in the last three years really is a shitty team.  nod  The losses are two National Title losses, two losses to teams ranked in the top two who are hunting the National Title, and A PSU team that ended up #3 in the country.  Average ranking of opponents: #2.  Yeah, you're right, not a powerhouse.   disgust  Overrated? Yes.  Not a powerhouse...who the hell you trying to kid? 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 15, 2008, 06:38:24 PM

Annnnnnd Soulbringer demonstrates the level of objectivity he has.  33-5 in the last three years really is a shitty team.  nod  The losses are two National Title losses, two losses to teams ranked in the top two who are hunting the National Title, and A PSU team that ended up #3 in the country.  Average ranking of opponents: #2.  Yeah, you're right, not a powerhouse.   disgust  Overrated? Yes.  Not a powerhouse...who the hell you trying to kid? 

Agreed.  OSU is not a perennial #1, but they are almost certainly a perennial top 10 or 15.  They have gotten waxed by great teams, sure, but they are still pretty damn good in their own right.  Let's remember that they were playing @ Troy (93K Trojan fans), without their best player, and against a team that is frighteningly fast on defense with FOUR RBs that would start on any other team.

gellar
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:44 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 15, 2008, 06:56:36 PM

Annnnnnd Soulbringer demonstrates the level of objectivity he has.  33-5 in the last three years really is a shitty team.  nod  The losses are two National Title losses, two losses to teams ranked in the top two who are hunting the National Title, and A PSU team that ended up #3 in the country.  Average ranking of opponents: #2.  Yeah, you're right, not a powerhouse.   disgust  Overrated? Yes.  Not a powerhouse...who the hell you trying to kid? 

Agreed.  OSU is not a perennial #1, but they are almost certainly a perennial top 10 or 15.  They have gotten waxed by great teams, sure, but they are still pretty damn good in their own right.  Let's remember that they were playing @ Troy (93K Trojan fans), without their best player, and against a team that is frighteningly fast on defense with FOUR RBs that would start on any other team.

gellar

Bwhahahahahahah.

Please call me when USC or OSU could last 6 games a year versus SEC opponents.   Drop either of those teams into the SEC and it's two or three losses a year. (more for OSU most likely)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:23:13 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 16, 2008, 02:16:44 AM

gellar

Bwhahahahahahah.

Please call me when USC or OSU could last 6 games a year versus SEC opponents.   Drop either of those teams into the SEC and it's two or three losses a year. (more for OSU most likely)

Well that's the beauty out of coming out of the Pac 10.  Instead of making fake trophies and excuses about how we can't get into a BCS game (and sometimes lose when we do), we get to go to a BCS game every year and typically destroy every team we're up against (damn you, Texas).

I'll take that any day.

gellar
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 16, 2008, 02:23:13 AM

gellar

Bwhahahahahahah.

Please call me when USC or OSU could last 6 games a year versus SEC opponents.   Drop either of those teams into the SEC and it's two or three losses a year. (more for OSU most likely)

Well that's the beauty out of coming out of the Pac 10.  Instead of making fake trophies and excuses about how we can't get into a BCS game (and sometimes lose when we do), we get to go to a BCS game every year and typically destroy every team we're up against (damn you, Texas).

I'll take that any day.

gellar

Bama certainly hasn't had to complain about not getting to the National Championship over the last 100 years.     We haven't been back since 1992, but that is a problem I hope is soon going to change.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 15, 2008, 04:01:48 AM

Loved watching USC absolutely CRUSH Ohio State. 

I didn't even watch as Michael Clayton was on HBO.  I'm kinda ticked at myself for not betting a bit more against OSU though, only came out with about 100 bucks from my co-workers disgust

Because I can,
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 12:14:04 AM »

Hmmm.  OSU in 2005 regular season opponents records 75-54  not too shabby we got a power house. Wait ohhh here is 2006 76-75 yeah championship team there oh wait they lost.  2007 has to be the year right they are sooo awesome.  Opponents record 67-70.  They beat some power houses there so OSU has to be in and win the BCS oh wait they got stomped again.  At least this year we dont have the media darlings that are so far up Tressel and the buckeyes backside able to send them to another undeserving game like last year.  They are an above average team in a lousy conference.  They are no powerhouse. 
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 02:04:48 AM »

gellar

Bwhahahahahahah.

Please call me when USC or OSU could last 6 games a year versus SEC opponents.   Drop either of those teams into the SEC and it's two or three losses a year. (more for OSU most likely)

USC easily could.  Witness the Pac-10/SEC head-to-head standings in the BCS era:  The Pac-10 wins 50% on the Road, and 75% at home, which means the SEC only wins 1 out of 4 road games against the Pac-10 (Georgia should improve that this weekend though).  You should also note that USC loses 2 games a year in the Pac-10 lately, as well (though this year's squad should have a romp).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 17, 2008, 02:04:48 AM

gellar

Bwhahahahahahah.

USC easily could.  Witness the Pac-10/SEC head-to-head standings in the BCS era:  The Pac-10 wins 50% on the Road, and 75% at home, which means the SEC only wins 1 out of 4 road games against the Pac-10 (Georgia should improve that this weekend though).

What does that record look like if you take USC out of the equation though?  I think the Pac-10 sans USC does pretty poorly against SEC teams.

gellar
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

The question was whether USC could survive, but I'm pretty sure SC is 4-0 in the span - swept Arkansas and Auburn, AFAIK (anyone I missed?), which would leave the rest of the Pac-10 at .500 (4-2 at home, 2-4 on the road).  Still not bad against the almighty SEC, especially taking away a powerhouse.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure msd remembers the Tide getting swept by UCLA in a home and home a few years back...    Tongue

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 18, 2008, 11:19:55 PM

The question was whether USC could survive, but I'm pretty sure SC is 4-0 in the span - swept Arkansas and Auburn, AFAIK (anyone I missed?), which would leave the rest of the Pac-10 at .500 (4-2 at home, 2-4 on the road).  Still not bad against the almighty SEC, especially taking away a powerhouse.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure msd remembers the Tide getting swept by UCLA in a home and home a few years back...    Tongue

First of all:   I meant could they just win one game and punch their ticket to the BCS Championship like they do now.    The answer is no.    If they had to play SEC football week in and week out, they'd fare like the rest of us.

Secondly:   UCLA beat an Alabama team shouldering the worst NCAA sanctions shy of a death penalty in half a century.    Have them play us now and we'll talk.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 04:27:14 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 14, 2008, 04:42:54 PM

OK yeah... now I expect USC to make a run for the NC.  Wow, that was probably the most impressive win I've seen in the last 10 years of following the team.

gellar

LOL.  OR NOT.

gellar
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 04:36:38 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 26, 2008, 04:27:14 AM

Quote from: gellar on September 14, 2008, 04:42:54 PM

gellar

LOL.  OR NOT.

gellar

Wow laid an egg in Corvalis.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 04:49:52 AM »

I will say this... as many mistakes and things that went against USC tonight, you've GOTTA give credit to that tiny little Oregon State running back.  Dude was fucking awesome.

gellar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: