http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 07:56:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football 2013 kickoff  (Read 834 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »

South Carolina vs UNC.    About what I expected.    Clowney looks like he's been reading his newspaper clippings and didn't bother to participate in any of his off season conditioning drills.

Ole Miss vs Vandy.     Wow!   What a game.    It had just about everything including projectile vomiting on the field.

More fun in store today and this evening!   ROLL TIDE!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »

Utah snuck out a close one on Thursday night over a good Utah State team that went 11-2 last year, returned 18 starters, and has a QB that's getting a little Heisman talk.  After the dumpster fire that our last season turned into, I'll take any win I can get.  Lost our top receiver for the year with a broken leg though, which really sucks.  Should be an interesting year and I have no idea what to expect...neither 2-10 or 10-2 would really surprise me with this team.

Oh, and LOL at K-State.   icon_lol

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 31, 2013, 05:57:33 PM

Utah snuck out a close one on Thursday night over a good Utah State team that went 11-2 last year, returned 18 starters, and has a QB that's getting a little Heisman talk.  After the dumpster fire that our last season turned into, I'll take any win I can get.  Lost our top receiver for the year with a broken leg though, which really sucks.  Should be an interesting year and I have no idea what to expect...neither 2-10 or 10-2 would really surprise me with this team.

Oh, and LOL at K-State.   icon_lol

That was a good game.    Was flipping back and forth watching it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »

TAMU has some discipline problems.    I suspected as much from them not clamping down on Johnny's issues (even before the autographs).    Today it comes out that they've suspended 8 players for various reasons.   Wow
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 31, 2013, 06:14:31 PM

TAMU has some discipline problems.    I suspected as much from them not clamping down on Johnny's issues (even before the autographs).    Today it comes out that they've suspended 8 players for various reasons.   Wow

And Johnny is a dick. His attitude on the field is obnoxious. I cannot wait for Bama to shut him up. Roll Tide!

Roll Tide!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »

Manziel is now my new favorite player in college football.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 31, 2013, 08:40:06 PM

Manziel shouldn't even be on the field, his ass should be suspended for the season.
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 31, 2013, 08:40:06 PM

So you like that attitude?

Roll Tide!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »

I like anyone who says fuck you to the NCAA.  It's a horrible, corrupt organization that does far more harm than good.  Anything anyone does to show them up is good by me.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »

Then get the rules changed, its completely unfair that other teams and other athletes have been punished severally for less then what this idiot did.
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 31, 2013, 08:46:58 PM

It's a horrible, corrupt organization that does far more harm than good. 

I cannot disagree with that but the rules are the rules and it is sickening that he didn't get punished a little more severe for an obvious violation. Bama got a much much more sever punishment a few years back when the student athletes got extra school books and gave them to other students. I hate the NCAA due to their selective punishment which makes them appear even more corrupt. I'm waiting for the big conferences to ditch the NCAA and form their own organization.

Roll Tide!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »

Quote from: Lassr on August 31, 2013, 08:56:37 PM

It's a horrible, corrupt organization that does far more harm than good. 

I cannot disagree with that but the rules are the rules and it is sickening that he didn't get punished a little more severe for an obvious violation. Bama got a much much more sever punishment a few years back when the student athletes got extra school books and gave them to other students. I hate the NCAA due to their selective punishment which makes them appear even more corrupt. I'm waiting for the big conferences to ditch the NCAA and form their own organization.

That's my point.  The rules AREN'T the rules because they aren't the same for everyone, so fuck all of the rules.  I'd love to see more teams/players/coaches pull a Manziel when they get 'punished.'

The conferences won't bail the NCAA because they ARE the NCAA.  The only school to go up against the NCAA in recent memory was USC, and we all see how well that went for them.

It's ridiculous.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 31, 2013, 02:42:17 PM

Ole Miss vs Vandy.     Wow!   What a game.    It had just about everything including projectile vomiting on the field.

The kid came back and played again on the same drive after smacking his head and puking. Despicable. Fucking with a kid's future health because you need to score a touchdown. Knowing what we know now about long term implications, of concussions they are nothing to mess around with.

But hey they needed a touchdown so that trumps all I guess.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »

OSU got a year probation with no bowl bid allowed for players selling memorabilia.  Selling autographs IS selling memorabilia.  How can the NCAA justify a 1/2 game suspension for Manzhole?  Way to protect the heisman winner and the SEC all at once .... yeah theres no bias in the NCAA.  Disclaimer:  I hate OSU about as much as I hate bullshit rule enforcement.   They need to whack the NCAA and make college football what it truly is, a semi pro farm club system for the NFL.   They make literally, billions off these "student athletes".  Its time has come.  End the NCAA's money grubbing reign of bs and let the schools and athletes reap the benefits.   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 01:05:46 AM »

Bama victorious 35-10 but the O looked bad. I know V TEch has a good defense so I guess we will see if Bama's new offensive line just needs a lot of work or if V Tech D line is just that good.

Roll Tide!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 03:27:10 AM »

I like anyone who says fuck you to the NCAA.  It's a horrible, corrupt organization that does far more harm than good.  Anything anyone does to show them up is good by me.

It's not about the NCAA.   It's about this guy being the biggest douchebag on the planet during games, when he's at parties, etc.   As for the NCAA, it doesn't matter if you didn't like or approve of the rule, it was a rule and he broke it.   
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 03:28:48 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on August 31, 2013, 10:56:09 PM

Ole Miss vs Vandy.     Wow!   What a game.    It had just about everything including projectile vomiting on the field.

The kid came back and played again on the same drive after smacking his head and puking. Despicable. Fucking with a kid's future health because you need to score a touchdown. Knowing what we know now about long term implications, of concussions they are nothing to mess around with.

From what I've read, he didn't have a head injury.   He had a stomach virus and was hit in the abdomen.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 03:29:56 AM »

Quote from: Lassr on September 01, 2013, 01:05:46 AM

Bama victorious 35-10 but the O looked bad. I know V TEch has a good defense so I guess we will see if Bama's new offensive line just needs a lot of work or if V Tech D line is just that good.

The OL looked like garbage.   Unless they improve dramatically, this is not a three-peat team.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 03:31:54 AM »

Btw --   if you demolish the NCAA and go with some other association or governing body, then guess what?   They will make and enforce rules that will piss people off.    There can't and won't be a vaccum free of rules in College football.   It won't happen.   So you can bitch about banishing the NCAA all you want, but whatever replaces it will be just like the NCAA in some form.     The King is dead!  Long live the King!
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 03:53:29 AM »

What I am looking for is an organization that has less rules and will enforce it's rules fairly. NCAA currently does not do that.

Roll Tide!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 05:17:02 AM »

Quote from: Lassr on September 01, 2013, 03:53:29 AM

What I am looking for is an organization that has less rules and will enforce it's rules fairly. NCAA currently does not do that.

MLK, Jr just called; he said you're dreaming Tongue.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 06:02:10 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 01, 2013, 03:27:10 AM

It's not about the NCAA.   It's about this guy being the biggest douchebag on the planet during games, when he's at parties, etc.   As for the NCAA, it doesn't matter if you didn't like or approve of the rule, it was a rule and he broke it.   

He's a 20 year old Heisman Trophy winner.  Of course he's a douchebag.  I was a douchebag at 20 and I hadn't done shit in the world.  I'm still a douchebag now, but less so.

I think a lot of people who judge 20 year olds forgot what it was like to be that age.

And has been called out by Lassr, you are missing the point.  While the rule itself is stupid, I agree that he broke a rule and should do the time.  It's just that the enforcement of it is completely laughable and arbitrary.  1/2 a game for Manziel.  Five games for Terrell Pryor for effectively doing the exact same thing.  But NOT THE SUGAR BOWL.  GOD NO, WE CAN'T MISS OUT ON THOSE RATINGS.  Suspension is for next season, guys!

It's a joke.

Honestly once they go to a playoff I can't really see myself watching a ton of college ball anymore.  The every week pressure won't be there, which is what makes it great.  I'll just skip to the playoffs instead.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 01, 2013, 03:28:48 AM

Quote from: JayDee on August 31, 2013, 10:56:09 PM

From what I've read, he didn't have a head injury.   He had a stomach virus and was hit in the abdomen.

Sure he did. They aren't going to say otherwise.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »

WTF Was That?  Part 1:  #25 Oregon State lets an FBS school drop 49 on them at home and loses 49-46.

WTF Was That?  Part 2:  the local media has been telling us all fall how BYUs offense was a fast paced, quick scoring, yardage -in-chunks offense, drawing many breathless comparisons to Oregon.  In reality, it was an utter dud against a very mediocre Virginia team (with one of the worst QBs I've ever seen), managing only 16 points in a 19-16 loss.

Feeling a little better about playing both those teams now. We had all chalked up the Oregon State game as a sure loss, but now I'm not so sure.  And BYU is always a toss-up, no matter how good or bad either team is.  smile

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »

Oh, and this new targeting rule is complete bullshit.  Saw two players get tossed yesterday for what looked like completely legit hits (Oregon & Cal).  It will decide more than one game this year, mark my words.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 02:32:32 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 01, 2013, 01:48:18 PM

WTF Was That?  Part 2:  the local media has been telling us all fall how BYUs offense was a fast paced, quick scoring, yardage -in-chunks offense, drawing many breathless comparisons to Oregon.  In reality, it was an utter dud against a very mediocre Virginia team (with one of the worst QBs I've ever seen), managing only 16 points in a 19-16 loss.

The UVA defense should be pretty good this year, though the offense looked terrible.  That was quite an ending with the deflected INT and lateral play that set up Virginia's winning score.  I think the sloppy weather and long delay helped slow BYU down and gave UVA an advantage.  UVA will get rolled by the Ducks next week, so I won't feel too bad about stealing this one.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 01, 2013, 01:54:59 PM

Oh, and this new targeting rule is complete bullshit.  Saw two players get tossed yesterday for what looked like completely legit hits (Oregon & Cal).  It will decide more than one game this year, mark my words.

Agreed!  I saw a play yesterday where a defender had a clear path to the QB due to a totally missed block. He wrapped up the QB at the chest and took him down hard but it was a completely clean hit.  The ref had the flag out ready to throw and fortunately changed his mind.  There will be plays like that where they wont hold the flag and it will suck big time for the defensive team.   It will almost definitely cost someone a game somewhere down the line.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »

You're still learning about Pac-12 refs I see.

tapatalk4'in

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »

The problem isn't the NCAA, it's the NFL and NBA who want free developmental leagues.  Get the pro wanna-be's who aren't interested in college (and their leeches/entourages) the fuck out of college sports.  You don't see this shit in college baseball...

tapatalk4'in

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 11:37:26 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 01, 2013, 10:46:44 PM

You're still learning about Pac-12 refs I see.

tapatalk4'in

icon_lol  I get what they're trying to do, but the ejection rule is so damn arbitrary. 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 04:06:21 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 01, 2013, 10:52:53 PM

The problem isn't the NCAA, it's the NFL and NBA who want free developmental leagues.  Get the pro wanna-be's who aren't interested in college (and their leeches/entourages) the fuck out of college sports.  You don't see this shit in college baseball...

tapatalk4'in

You really think that?  Very few D1 athletes with a chance to go pro (outside of maybe Stanford) would choose to go to college. That's absurd. The NCAA and the Universities would never allow that as they would lose billions of dollars.

This doesn't exist in college baseball cause no one gives a flying fuck about college baseball, with good reason. The NCAA and the U's would be screwed without D1 football and basketball. Hell, there's a good chance college baseball doesn't even exist for most universities without the other two.

Also, the NBA actually does have and pays for its own developmental league: http://www.nba.com/dleague/
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 04:08:58 AM »

gellar is Joe Flacco. Confirmed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9625856/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-fan-johnny-manziel
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 05:45:36 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 02, 2013, 04:06:21 AM

tapatalk4'in

You really think that?  Very few D1 athletes with a chance to go pro (outside of maybe Stanford) would choose to go to college. That's absurd. The NCAA and the Universities would never allow that as they would lose billions of dollars.

This doesn't exist in college baseball cause no one gives a flying fuck about college baseball, with good reason. The NCAA and the U's would be screwed without D1 football and basketball. Hell, there's a good chance college baseball doesn't even exist for most universities without the other two.

Also, the NBA actually does have and pays for its own developmental league: http://www.nba.com/dleague/

And I say let those D1 athletes go.  Screw them.  If they are the biggest part of the problem people have with the NCAA, then eliminate the problem.

As to the NBA, they do have a development league but they've designed it and their draft to use the colleges as a testing ground.  I'd rather the NCAA just make basketball freshmen ineligible. Presto! No more early entry problem, or eligibility problems, etc. Screw the NBA and their stupid draft policy.

The only people you say are screwed by the NCAA are those who you say have enough pro potential and aren't interested in playing by the rules, I think the best way to solve that problem is to tell them to shove it.

tapatalk4'in

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

WTF Was That?  Part 1:  #25 Oregon State lets an FBS school drop 49 on them at home and loses 49-46.

Feeling a little better about playing both those teams now. We had all chalked up the Oregon State game as a sure loss, but now I'm not so sure.  And BYU is always a toss-up, no matter how good or bad either team is.  smile

The byu game was a head scratcher. I didn't buy into the go hard go fast hype but sill that was horrible. Taysom hill looked like Riley ball version 2.0. I don't have much hope for this season. What an absolute waste of elite defensive talent in van noy. Wish he could have come at a time when there was an offense worth playing with.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 02, 2013, 05:45:36 AM

tapatalk4'in

And I say let those D1 athletes go.  Screw them.  If they are the biggest part of the problem people have with the NCAA, then eliminate the problem.

As to the NBA, they do have a development league but they've designed it and their draft to use the colleges as a testing ground.  I'd rather the NCAA just make basketball freshmen ineligible. Presto! No more early entry problem, or eligibility problems, etc. Screw the NBA and their stupid draft policy.

The only people you say are screwed by the NCAA are those who you say have enough pro potential and aren't interested in playing by the rules, I think the best way to solve that problem is to tell them to shove it.

I mean it solves the problem in that it eliminates college football and basketball as we know it, so I guess I can't really disagree with that.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on September 02, 2013, 01:48:47 PM

WTF Was That?  Part 1:  #25 Oregon State lets an FBS school drop 49 on them at home and loses 49-46.

WTF Was That?  Part 2:  the local media has been telling us all fall how BYUs offense was a fast paced, quick scoring, yardage -in-chunks offense, drawing many breathless comparisons to Oregon.  In reality, it was an utter dud against a very mediocre Virginia team (with one of the worst QBs I've ever seen), managing only 16 points in a 19-16 loss.

Feeling a little better about playing both those teams now. We had all chalked up the Oregon State game as a sure loss, but now I'm not so sure.  And BYU is always a toss-up, no matter how good or bad either team is.  smile

The byu game was a head scratcher. I didn't buy into the go hard go fast hype but sill that was horrible. Taysom hill looked like Riley ball version 2.0. I don't have much hope for this season. What an absolute waste of elite defensive talent in van noy. Wish he could have come at a time when there was an offense worth playing with.

I'm hoping one of two things happened, for BYU's sake:

1.  Hill just had a really bad case of first game jitters.  He looked awful out there.
2.  Virginia is actually a decent defensive team that was able to shut them down.

For the record, I don't think either are true...I just think it's going to take a while for that offense to click.  They better hope it does sooner rather than later.  Also read this morning that it was the first time in something like 20 years that a team won a game in which they punted 13 times.   icon_lol

EDIT:  Correction, it was the first time this century that has happened.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:57:23 AM by Gratch » Logged

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 03:22:01 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 02, 2013, 08:03:55 PM

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 02, 2013, 05:45:36 AM

I like anyone who says fuck you to the NCAA.  It's a horrible, corrupt organization that does far more harm than good.  Anything anyone does to show them up is good by me.

The problem isn't the NCAA, it's the NFL and NBA who want free developmental leagues.  Get the pro wanna-be's who aren't interested in college (and their leeches/entourages) the fuck out of college sports.  You don't see this shit in college baseball...

tapatalk4'in

You really think that?  Very few D1 athletes with a chance to go pro (outside of maybe Stanford) would choose to go to college. That's absurd. The NCAA and the Universities would never allow that as they would lose billions of dollars.

And I say let those D1 athletes go.  Screw them.  If they are the biggest part of the problem people have with the NCAA, then eliminate the problem.

As to the NBA, they do have a development league but they've designed it and their draft to use the colleges as a testing ground.  I'd rather the NCAA just make basketball freshmen ineligible. Presto! No more early entry problem, or eligibility problems, etc. Screw the NBA and their stupid draft policy.

I mean it solves the problem in that it eliminates college football and basketball as we know it, so I guess I can't really disagree with that.

It takes the incentive to cheat out.  Every year I feel more and more disgusted with recruiting and the show that ESPN is making of it.  Now they're making a big deal out of High School games.  Enough is enough.  The NBA's one and done has made College Basketball a farce, and Football is almost as bad (the 7 on 7 camps aren't quite what the AAU's are, but they aren't far behind).  Kids are juicing in High School now and it's probably their handlers that are telling them too.

College sports will be better the sooner it is cleaned up, and stipends are not the answer.  Getting the kids who go to College solely to get to the NBA/NFL out will be better.  Baseball's HS/College Junior draft seems to strike the correct balance - let the kids who have the ability and no inclination to study and/or are desperate for the money go get it, if they can.  If they want an education too, come and get it, but realize that they've made a commitment for at least 3 years.

I don't think it would kill College Sports as we know it (in basketball, the one and done has already done that, and it would be restoring order).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:16:02 AM by Pyperkub » Logged

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 04:55:34 AM »

How has one and done 'killed' college basketball?    The NCAA tournament is still the greatest event in college sports.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on September 03, 2013, 04:55:34 AM

How has one and done 'killed' college basketball?    The NCAA tournament is still the greatest event in college sports.

Too much power to AAU player brokers.  No accountability for one and done players.  A couple of examples from UCLA:

Ben Howland at UCLA was effectively killed by the dislike of his system by  AAU coaches.  He couldn't have disciplined Shabazz Muhammad if he wanted to.

Derrick Rose - no academic integrity.  Cheated just to get into college by having someone else take the SAT for him. 

tapatalk4'in

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 02, 2013, 08:33:33 PM

I'm hoping one of two things happened, for BYU's sake:

1.  Hill just had a really bad case of first game jitters.  He looked awful out there.
2.  Virginia is actually a decent defensive team that was able to shut them down.

For the record, I don't think either are true...I just think it's going to take a while for that offense to click.  They better hope it does sooner rather than later.  Also read this morning that it was the first time in something like 20 years that a team won a game in which they punted 13 times.   icon_lol

EDIT:  Correction, it was the first time this century that has happened.

Yeah good to know we are helping to set records! I think hill had some jitters... But I still think he is not a great qb. In fact he looks to be really bad. We may see the second string soon enough though. Secondly I am guessing Virginia will still suck. We just suck a tiny bit more. On to Texas!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: