http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:59:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colbert to replace Letterman  (Read 850 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »

Stephen Colbert To Replace David Letterman On Late Show

Colbert to succeed Letterman as host of "The Late Show"

CBS ANNOUNCES STEPHEN COLBERT AS THE NEXT HOST OF “THE LATE SHOW”

I am torn.  He will reach more households but I am not sure his "stichik" will work as well on a non-cable network. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »

right there with you Farley.  I hope this works out, but I have my doubts that it will. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:34:23 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 10, 2014, 04:59:40 PM

I am torn.  He will reach more households but I am not sure his "stichik" will work as well on a non-cable network. 

Are you assuming he is going to continue playing the character of the Colbert Report?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »

I'm with Lee.  I highly, highly doubt that he'll be bringing that schtick with him.  That was a character he played on a political comedy show.  The real Stephen Colbert is an extraordinarily talented comedy writer and a very, very witty comedian.

I believe he'll be fantastic at it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 10, 2014, 05:39:38 PM

I'm with Lee.  I highly, highly doubt that he'll be bringing that schtick with him.  That was a character he played on a political comedy show.  The real Stephen Colbert is a fantastic comedy writer and a very, very witty comedian.

I believe he'll be fantastic at it.

I'm not sure.  he'll lose that fan base of the character.  I have to think that he'll lose the persona but still keep the same satirical stance. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »

I doubt he'll do anything but be himself.  It's easy to forget that Colbert is quite good at interviewing people.  Even in the guise of a conservative hack, he could charm the hell out of almost anyone.  Putting them at ease and fostering a genuine conversation was rarely an issue he had with guests.  Just think of what he can accomplish when he drops the schtick and isn't hindered by the limitations of that character.  I doubt he'll lose fans in droves.  If anything, I would expect him to increase his fan base after he drops the character.

It's glossed over quite a bit, but Colbert himself is actually a staunch Catholic who teaches Sunday School.  He's not as two dimensional as those who rail against him on Drudge and other conservative sites believe.  He actually shares some of their conservative views.  Anyone who watches him on Late Night and expects a show that incorporates political satire that lampoons the right is most likely going to be sorely disappointed.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »

He really is very a very good interviewer, and he's funny as hell even out of character.  That said, I do think legions of Report fans will be disappointed with his shift in tone.  It'll be off-putting, to say the least.

OTOH, a basic cable audience is incredibly small compared to the nuimbers for the post-news network talk shows.  In the long run, I think he'll be fine.  Plus he'll be coming in early enough into Fallon's Tonight Show run that he'll have a good shot.  This year would have been better, but it could be worse.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »

Heh, he's not going to do the faux faux news schtick on a major network late night show...  I actually think this will be good.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 03:24:35 AM »

Here's a piece at EW talking about how he is most likely going to shed his Bill O'Reilly-esque character. It would make no sense to carry him over; the Colbert Report would probsbly end up confusing a lot of the slack-jawed yokels out there, plus, Colbert is really mult-faceted, so it should be awesome.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 10, 2014, 10:20:33 PM

Heh, he's not going to do the faux faux news schtick on a major network late night show...  I actually think this will be good.

I've heard he's actually creating a new personality for his hosting job on Late Night.  It's a stoner named "Dickles" who has a pet ferret and really, really likes Funyuns.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »

"CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America"

Stay classy, Rush.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »

I say bring it on.  I'm fairly confident that Colbert can absolutely eviscerate Rush in any battle of wits.  If he deigns to even acknowledge Rush, that is.  I have a feeling that Colbert most likely views him as an irritant and not a real threat by any means.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 11, 2014, 01:32:04 PM

Stay classy, Rush.

ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the only person on the planet who thinks Stephen Colbert is the character he portrays. 

what a colossal tool shed. 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 11, 2014, 04:05:11 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 11, 2014, 01:32:04 PM

Stay classy, Rush.

ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the only person on the planet who thinks Stephen Colbert is the character he portrays. 

what a colossal tool shed. 

Over the years I have worked with many of people who listen to Rush religiously. There are a lot of people who think like him unfortunately.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »

Colbert mentioned it on last night's show, only in passing. 

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »

What I think could happen is that he could have a segment where he does comment on ongoing news in a snarky manner. "And now, a Colbert Report..."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »

What is Stephen Colbert like out of character?

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 11, 2014, 05:32:37 PM

What I think could happen is that he could have a segment where he does comment on ongoing news in a snarky manner. "And now, a Colbert Report..."

I doubt it, though.  I believe he'll want to put as much distance between the character and himself as possible once the transition occurs.  That or/and the character may be a Comedy Central IP and they'd not allow it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »

good point about the IP aspect.  I was wondering if he'll do something unexpected when the last shows are filmed.  kill his character off somehow.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »

Ha ha ha!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 01:12:04 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 11, 2014, 07:16:47 PM

I doubt it, though.  I believe he'll want to put as much distance between the character and himself as possible once the transition occurs.  That or/and the character may be a Comedy Central IP and they'd not allow it.

Well, it doesn't even have to be the character or even that particular name, but the idea of him riffing on politics. Because you just have to figure that he will at some point.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 01:46:24 AM »

Stephen Colbert has done a lot to remain in character during public appearances, but there have been a few occasions when he's let the facade drop away.

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 12, 2014, 01:12:04 AM

I doubt it, though.  I believe he'll want to put as much distance between the character and himself as possible once the transition occurs.  That or/and the character may be a Comedy Central IP and they'd not allow it.

Well, it doesn't even have to be the character or even that particular name, but the idea of him riffing on politics. Because you just have to figure that he will at some point.

ALL late night talk show hosts do at some point during their monologues.  I don't see how he's going to be any different than Letterman, Leno, Ferguson or Fallon.

Quote from: Caine on April 11, 2014, 09:27:47 PM

good point about the IP aspect.  I was wondering if he'll do something unexpected when the last shows are filmed.  kill his character off somehow.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, that would be epic. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:03:31 PM by hepcat » Logged

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 12, 2014, 06:01:41 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on April 12, 2014, 01:12:04 AM

I doubt it, though.  I believe he'll want to put as much distance between the character and himself as possible once the transition occurs.  That or/and the character may be a Comedy Central IP and they'd not allow it.

ALL late night talk show hosts do at some point during their monologues.  I don't see how he's going to be any different than Letterman, Leno, Ferguson or Fallon.

Exactly. There's no avoiding it as it would be unnatural otherwise. In fact, people are going to expect it.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »

He will riff on politics, but not as that character, I bet.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 05:22:55 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on April 12, 2014, 10:02:48 PM

He will riff on politics, but not as that character, I bet.

I could see him keeping the set around for various bits.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »

I'd love to see him do something along the Carson line with recurring characters and bits.  The Colbert character would fit right in with stuff like Carnac and Art Fern.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:09 PM »

Yeah, that was kind of along the lines of I was thinking of. It doesn't even have to be the same character, but a character doing political commentary.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:49:27 PM by Rumpy » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

Some writing Colbert submitted to Letterman 17 years ago.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 05:00:04 AM »

You know what I just noticed. One of our "local" channels airs Conan right after Late Night. Surreal. Maybe it's been that way since Conan started his show on TBS, but first time I noticed.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »

"Stephen Colbert" says goodbye to Jon Stewart

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »

Is this last week of the Colbert Report?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: