http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:08:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Help please.. 2 Years Later  (Read 1743 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »

Four to six sugars? That ain't good for you!

Best coffee ever: Illy.  Kind of stupid expensive though.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »

I love Kona the way Zoidberg loves sardines.  Soooo good! nod

-Autistic Angel
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »

4-6 sugars? Holy shit! Really?

I can't stand anything in my coffee. Once you go black you never go back.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on August 16, 2011, 04:03:17 PM

I can't stand anything in my coffee. Once you go black you never go back.

Word.

To get to the point of enjoying black coffee I started by drinking quality coffee and then by first cutting out sugar and only using cream, then by slowly cutting back on the amount of cream until I didn't "need" it anymore.  Now, like tiktok, I can't stand anything in my coffee. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »

how about some chai?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2011, 04:18:01 PM

how about some chai?

saywhat

Fabulous

puke

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2011, 04:18:01 PM

how about some chai?

nod

I love Chai, hot or iced, with soy milk (vanilla or very vanilla) or almond milk, it's all good.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »

Careful you don't get all Dre with your soy milk.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 16, 2011, 07:07:42 PM

LOL.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 16, 2011, 08:42:29 PM

LOL.

Child please.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2011, 09:00:39 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on August 16, 2011, 08:46:09 PM

Quote from: gellar on August 16, 2011, 08:42:29 PM

LOL.

Child please.

I feel like I missed some huge cultural reference.
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »

In the past few months I've gotten back into roasting coffee again after a few years hiatus.  Let me bore you with my preaching!

First, please don't buy OR drink that terrible pre-flavored coffee.  There is a reason they flavor it.  It is unfit for consumption otherwise.  It is usually immature low-altitude grown robusta from Viet Nam.  If you MUST drink flavored coffee there are syrups you may add to the cup that aren't so bad.  But know that You Are Still Doing It Wrong.

I generally only drink one cup a day, in the morning, when I have time.  Depending on whether I'm making a cup for my wife as well, or just my whim, I either use a French press, a vacuum pot or a Clever coffee dripper.  Sometimes it depends on the particular bean of the day as some origins and roast levels suit themselves to different brewing methods.

This morning I made a cup for each of us in a French press.  It was an unintentional 3-bean blend that ended up being great!  Unintentional in that I didn't have enough Moka Kadir blend so I had to mix in a bit of Hawaii Ka’anapali DP Maui Moka 16 Screen that I just roasted last night, which is a little too soon after roasting.  I like to give at least 24-36 hours of rest after roasting before brewing.

So...it was 35 grams of the Moka Kadir (which was equal weights of Yemen Mokha Ismaili and Ethiopia Harar Longberry that I roasted on 08-09-11) and about 18 grams of the Hawaiian in the press pot with 750 grams of 190 degree water.  I let steep for a minute-and-a-half and then broke the crust and swizzled with a chopstick.  I plunged the coffee after 4 minutes total steep time.

So good!
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »

To be on topic. I love Panamanian coffee.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »

doopris summer chai*
*shamelessly stolen from my favorite book of indian cooking, with a sliiiiiiight modification

this is enough to linger around for a day and NOT one serving!  3 cups of water and little under a quarter cup of soy milk get boiled (friendly advice:  with that soy in there it can and will boil over!  keep an eye on it!).  after it boils turn off the heat and stir in about 2 inches of cinnamon stick, a couple cloves and 3 of the little cardamom pods with six teaspoons of sugar (itll be nicely sweet - if you really like sugar stick with six!).  cover and let it steep for 10 minutes or more.  after that bring it to a boil again with 5 orange pekoe teabags, then simmer it, covered, for five minutes.  i then stick it in the refrigerator (on a freakin' hot pad people!) and leave it there for hours.  you can either drink it as is, or fill the glass with crushed ice and make kind of a slushy.

enjoy on your patio, under your pergola or take it on the road to your local park you city slickers!

and z-corn love the roasting story!  i admit to being a bit ignorant of roasting but sounds fun.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »

Can you recommend a good vaccuum pot? I used to have one, but Starbucks discontinued it. I love my French Press and my pump-driven Espresso machine.

Quote from: Z-Corn on August 17, 2011, 11:16:27 AM

In the past few months I've gotten back into roasting coffee again after a few years hiatus.  Let me bore you with my preaching!

First, please don't buy OR drink that terrible pre-flavored coffee.  There is a reason they flavor it.  It is unfit for consumption otherwise.  It is usually immature low-altitude grown robusta from Viet Nam.  If you MUST drink flavored coffee there are syrups you may add to the cup that aren't so bad.  But know that You Are Still Doing It Wrong.

I generally only drink one cup a day, in the morning, when I have time.  Depending on whether I'm making a cup for my wife as well, or just my whim, I either use a French press, a vacuum pot or a Clever coffee dripper.  Sometimes it depends on the particular bean of the day as some origins and roast levels suit themselves to different brewing methods.

This morning I made a cup for each of us in a French press.  It was an unintentional 3-bean blend that ended up being great!  Unintentional in that I didn't have enough Moka Kadir blend so I had to mix in a bit of Hawaii Ka’anapali DP Maui Moka 16 Screen that I just roasted last night, which is a little too soon after roasting.  I like to give at least 24-36 hours of rest after roasting before brewing.

So...it was 35 grams of the Moka Kadir (which was equal weights of Yemen Mokha Ismaili and Ethiopia Harar Longberry that I roasted on 08-09-11) and about 18 grams of the Hawaiian in the press pot with 750 grams of 190 degree water.  I let steep for a minute-and-a-half and then broke the crust and swizzled with a chopstick.  I plunged the coffee after 4 minutes total steep time.

So good!
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »

What kind of roaster do you have, Z-Corn?

Ale
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on August 17, 2011, 04:38:44 PM

Can you recommend a good vaccuum pot? I used to have one, but Starbucks discontinued it. I love my French Press and my pump-driven Espresso machine.

I have one of those Bodum Santos electric vac pots that I'm pretty sure is the same as your Starbucks version.  I rarely use it, only when I have guests over and need to be able to just "set and forget".  As you read, my usual coffee making is a bit of a fiddly ritual!

Lately I've been using the Yama stovetop 40 oz. pot.  In that I use an aftermarket filter, a really nice stainless steel filter.  I've never bothered with the cloth filters that come with the pot.  I tried a few brews with an antique Cory glass rod filter but the coffee always had a hard time coming down from the top chamber, which really made me nervous.  I have actually imploded a glass vacuum pot by allowing the filter to stall for too long.  Not good, shattered glass and lukewarm coffee ALL OVER the kitchen on a morning before work!

The one that shattered was a stovetop Bodum Santos and I cannot recommend one of those, they are very cheaply made and way too expensive for what you get.

I think I will be trying a 22 oz. version of the Yama.  It's much more suited to the amount of coffee my wife and I drink in the morning and I can use the same stainless filter.   And...what the hell, I just talked myself into ordering it from Amazon, it'll be here in time for Saturday morning coffee...

The 22 oz. Yama is $33 at Amazon, the 40 oz. is $36 and the filter is $20.
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on August 17, 2011, 08:57:18 PM

What kind of roaster do you have, Z-Corn?

Ale

Right now I'm using a Nesco Professional Coffee Roaster.  It used to be branded as Zack and Danni's.

It's not bad.  A friend gave it to me when he got a Behmor roaster.  I'm kind of pushing it hard to try and burn it out so I can buy a better roaster.  I would probably go with the Behmor as well, my friend is very happy with his.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: