http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:31:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-worker killed himself... in our office...  (Read 734 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »

One of the supervisors for the call center that we have to conduct phone interviews... I guess he finished his shift last night, wrote a note, downed a bottle of pills and the better part of a fifth of rum, and put a plastic bag over his head, then laid down in a common area about 30 ft from my office, where he was discovered this morning by one of the cleaning crew.  Our county coroner actually works here, so he got the call at about 5:15am this morning.

It's pretty fucked up.

I didn't know him except to give a nod in passing, but he was well regarded... young kid, maybe 21 - 23 years old. Left a note apologizing to the coroner by name, indicating that he tried to keep things as clean as possible for him, and that he did it here because he liked it here, indicated some people he was particularly fond of... said he wasn't depressed (which seems unrealistic).

I'm disturbed, to say the least.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »

Wow, that is sad and disturbing. I'd be a little creeped out if that happened in our office.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that.  That kind of thing would get into my head and refuse to let me sleep until exhaustion set in.  My thought go out to you, his family, and your co-workers.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »

I feel really bad for the cleaning girl... she's a nice, upbeat girl.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 22, 2008, 08:09:42 PM

I feel really bad for the cleaning girl... she's a nice, upbeat girl.

Yeah, that must have been beyond traumatic.  Many people have never even seen a dead body, let alone find it yourself - and possibly know the person, too. Usually, suicide is an act of anger, not just depression - but it would seem that this person felt bad for at least the Coroner.  Too bad he didn't think about Josephine Average Worker, too.  Maybe he was very depressed or very angry, but when he chose a site like he did, and left that note, you have to wonder if his act was mixed with a desire to go out like a martyr or as "someone special."  There is always a reason or a precipitating factor, though it isn't always uncovered.

I was a police office for 25 years, and have had my share of investigating sudden deaths, but the mask you wear when in uniform, and the "discussions" by the cops after such an event, really help to assuage some of the almost PTSD-like effects.  After-event activities seem cruel to people who don't deal with death as a part of their job, but if you don't make jokes, or go out for a few beers to talk about it after, then it becomes a problem for you as well. 

Once when a car crashed in front of my house, one of the drivers died, literally right in my hands.  I'd taken control of the scene, directed bystanders to help with traffic, and performed CPR until the PD and FD arrived. When they got there and took over, I was once again "just me."  I wandered back into my house and felt totally lost and forlorn - I found out that night how much the uniform and your professional facade really does help protect you.

I know that time must pass to lessen depressing or anxious feelings, but yeah, I was up all that night, unable to sleep.  I feel bad for you and your co-workers, Kratz, because you're just going to have to let time do it's work before you'll feel somewhat normal again. And that sucks, but it's how it usually is...  tear

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:05 PM »

I had a friend whose brother-in-law chose to blow his brains out in his family room. Needless to say his sister left the house and my friend ended up having to clean up the house, he ended up living there for awhile. I used to go there and party with him, and it always seemed weird knowing what happened there.

I don't envy your having to return to the office 5 days a week knowing what happened there. Hopefully time will help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: