http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 08:28:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: classic comic books remembered  (Read 844 times)
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:29:19 AM »

I used to love reading comics.  I know many of you on this board still do, or at least shared the joy in the past.

I have recently been spending a lot of time not reading comics, but reading about them.  I have so many fond memories of the books I read as a kid and thought I'd share some in hopes that you would do the same.

I'll kick things off with one of my favorite series of all time.  May I present "What If..."

We all know there have been some classic story-arcs throught the Marvelverse.  Well this series, as the title clearly indicates, turns them on their heads and asks the serious questions like "What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?"  C'mon, we all wondered!  So let Uatu the Watcher guide you to through the multiverse as we witness the ramifications of these earth-shattering events!

So what are some of your fondest memories of comics past?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:27:31 AM »

I have fond memories of Secret Wars.  Having all those heroes teaming up to take on the villains was so cool.

I remember the heroes surviving after a mountain is dropped on top of them, Doctor Doom wielding ultimate power and the first appearance of Spidey's black costume.  Who knew that would be the beginning of one of his biggest headaches?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:40:37 PM »

Yet no one's buying my comics. biggrin
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 02:17:49 AM »

If you like reading about comics, you should definitely check out The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.  While it is fiction and not solely about comics (following two creators during the golden age), it is definitely a good read.  You know, Pulitzer and all that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 04:39:59 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
If you like reading about comics, you should definitely check out The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.  While it is fiction and not solely about comics (following two creators during the golden age), it is definitely a good read.  You know, Pulitzer and all that.

I have that one on my shelf and will move it to the top of the reading pile.  I watched a two-hour documentary on comics that was shown on the History Channel a few days ago and he was interviewed several times.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 04:43:54 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I have fond memories of Secret Wars.  Having all those heroes teaming up to take on the villains was so cool.

Secret Wars was a few years before my personal comics golden age.  The big event that I recall with glee doesn't seem to have such far-reaching consequences, but it was fun to read:

Awesome cover!

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 07:49:27 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Nth Power"

Secret Wars was a few years before my personal comics golden age.  The big event that I recall with glee doesn't seem to have such far-reaching consequences, but it was fun to read:

Awesome cover!

Ooo...that one was all sorts of cool too!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:01:12 AM »

Is non-Marvel U allowed?
I can't leave out the best series from DC/Vertigo :

While not for kids or the easily offended it's a great series from start to finish.  Great characters and stories that you can't forget.  I actually got a little misty-eyed reading the final issue.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 02:06:11 AM »

Preacher is actually the only comic I kept reading over the years.  That and picking up all the Y: The Last Man TPB's during a closeout sale at a local bookstore.

I just ordered up most of the Powers TPB's from Turtle and look forward to that.  The other series I want to check out is 100 Bullets.  I just seem to find interesting titles based on the comic threads here and wandering links on Wikipedia and other places.

I used to like Concrete back in the day.  Speaking of which, I really loved Dark Horse Presents.

Ah, I did pick up the We3 TPB when I was wandering around a comic shop.  Great book!

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 05:12:23 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I just ordered up most of the Powers TPB's from Turtle and look forward to that. The other series I want to check out is 100 Bullets. I just seem to find interesting titles based on the comic threads here and wandering links on Wikipedia and other places.

I really like Powers but couldn't get into 100 Bullets.  I've found it hard to get into anything Brian Azzarello writes for whatever reason.

If you haven't checked it out already, another Brian K. Vaughn title, Ex Machina is also excellent.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 06:10:04 AM »

The Evolutionary War series that spanned most of Marvel Comics annuals in 1988 was pretty cool.

The original GI Joe vs Transformers was pretty fun!

The Fatal Attractions storyline in the X-Books was also pretty good.  Xavier actually grew a pair towards the end.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 07:22:12 AM »

This was one of my favorite comics back in the day. I'll have to go through the garage to see if I still have them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: