http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:47:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chuck Season 4 discussion (spoilers!!!)  (Read 50931 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »

I think I missed this interview -- Movieline had a nice Q&A with Yvonne Strahovski about her role in the movie The Killer Elite back in September. She also talks about Chuck too:

Yvonne Strahovski on Killer Elite, Her Comedy Debut With Seth Rogen and a Baby For Chuck
http://www.movieline.com/2011/09/yvonne-strahovski-on-killer-elite-her-comedy-debut-with-seth-rogen-and-a-baby-for-chuck.php
And to talk about Chuck for a moment, your character and Chuck are finally married. How do you think this is going to change the dynamic of the show?
It’s a lot of fun. We’ve got our own sort of spy company right now. And it’s almost like Chuck and I are married and we have this man-child Morgan, because he now has the Intersect in his head and we have to take care of him. You know, times have changed, but it’s still a lot of fun and sexy as well. We haven’t lost that spark.

There is a history of television series jumping the shark when the main character finally gets together with his love interest. Were you ever worried that Sarah and Chuck’s marriage would be the moment that fans lose interest in the show?
No, this has opened up a Mr. & Mrs. Smith-esque vibe now that we are married. I think we are going to have just as many people watching the show. [The marriage] was something that fans were really rooting for. When we did have love triangles on the show, we did get a lot of e-mails from disturbed fans saying, “What is going on?! We just want Chuck and Sarah to be together.” I feel like we’ve been so incredibly loyal to the fans, and especially because we’re listening to their feedback, they will enjoy [this season] as much if not more than any other season.

It is too early for fans to start looking forward to a baby for Chuck and Sarah?
I’m not sure! I’ve often wondered if that is how we will finish up the series.

Well, maybe if the fans e-mail…
You never know.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #881 on: November 05, 2011, 07:29:52 AM »

This latest episode was interesting more in what it sets up, along with the preview for the next episode. Looks like they'll try to get the intersect out of Morgan sooner than expected.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 05, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 05, 2011, 07:29:52 AM

Looks like they'll try to get the intersect out of Morgan sooner than expected.

God, I hope so.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 05, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »

Carrie-Anne Moss owned this episode. Really looking forward to watching that storyline develop. I also really liked the angle they're taking with Morgan as the Intersect, Chuck as the handler. I thought there was a lot of good tension throughout the episode for Chuck trying to balance his obligations as friend and handler.

I enjoyed this episode much more than the premiere, actually. Well, except for Sarah's interrogation scene in the premiere.

- Ash
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 05, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »

I think we are going to have just as many people watching the show.
Nopers. Another series low 0.8 rating last night. Not that ratings really matter anymore for the show I guess, though.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:46 PM »

Well, who really thought it would survive a move to Friday anyways? Just glad they made one more season... if it gets cut short I'll buy it on dvd  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 05, 2011, 01:37:16 PM

Quote from: Turtle on November 05, 2011, 07:29:52 AM

Looks like they'll try to get the intersect out of Morgan sooner than expected.

God, I hope so.

+ infinity.  Annoying Morgan is bad enough without adding in Douchey Morgan.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 08, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on November 05, 2011, 11:18:46 PM

Well, who really thought it would survive a move to Friday anyways? Just glad they made one more season... if it gets cut short I'll buy it on dvd  icon_razz
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I mean, moving the show to Friday was basically waving the white flag without truly canceling it, and NBC probably just wants to burn off the 13 episodes as quickly as possible. Apparently this season will get the show to 91 episodes -- over the 88-episode "syndication threshold" mark; that used to be 100, but supposedly now 88 is considered the magic number. My understanding though is the remaining episodes at least through the 88th have got to air, whether anyone watches or not, for syndication qualification's sake.

Though Fridays are usually ratings wasteland, I'll admit .8, .9? Yeesh, it's apparently now the lowest rated of any network series.

Since they recap the previous episode at the beginning of each new episode, it should work pretty well in syndication.

91 though. Think what Joss Whedon might've done with 91 episodes of Firefly. I liked Reaper, which started the same year as Chuck (2007) but only got two seasons. I've liked quite a few shows the last 4-5 years that only got a season or two in before getting unplugged. I'm not sure what friends Chuck had in NBC's high places, but they should thank them profusely.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:26:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 08, 2011, 06:14:26 PM

I'm not sure what friends Chuck had in NBC's high places, but they should buy them a footlong sub from Subway.  icon_smile

FTFY. biggrin

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 08, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »

It started about two seasons ago, got worse last season and is now a full blown problem...but I can't work up the enthusiasm to watch this show on my DVR.  Like Castle, it just accumulates until I have a half dozen or more episodes and I force myself to sit down and watch them some night when nothing else is on.   icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #890 on: November 09, 2011, 01:59:55 AM »

I'm still having a good time with Castle, with Chuck I'm just hoping they find a different role for Morgan.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: November 19, 2011, 10:57:41 AM »

Two posts in a row, bad form I know, but I liked this latest episode for various reasons, even though the show has definitely lost some steam and is winding down.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Morgan thankfully loses the intersect, and now no one has it.

I really don't like the whole invalidation by conspiracy plot they have going on. Rather, I downright hate any writer that uses the the "it was all a conspiracy from the beginning" trope as it makes the hard won successes of the protagonists worthless, and the villains way too powerful. The only thing I've seen use it recently was the Metal Gear series and we all know how bad that story is.

On the flipside, I like seeing Chuck and Sara grow as a couple, and as spies without the intersect. Seeing Chuck as cool and confident in the field, with Casey in the van instead is a nice change of pace.

Then we have Casey showing a distinct darker side, but also how bad ass he is in protecting his friends and family.

It was a nice change up that Lester becomes smarter, basically pulling a Homer. But also nice that they didn't just reverse that in one episode. Hopefully they have something for Jeff as well.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »

frack, forgot they were showing episodes in December.  missed the last two and of course it doesn't appear that they are online  thumbsdown

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »

EW has a lengthy interview with Yvonne Strahovski:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/11/chuck-star-yvonne-strahovski-chuck-and-sarah-will-have-something-taken-away-from-them-in-final-episodes/
“Something very unexpected happens,” she says. “When I read the script, I was really surprised myself. Chuck and Sarah have this great relationship, but I think in these last episodes, you’ll see that they’ll have something taken away from them, and it sort of causes some trouble in a big way.”
btw, she apparently did some voice work for Bioware's upcoming Mass Effect 3.

I confess I haven't watched it much in its farewell Friday night time slot. I'm usually busy watching sports or playing some computer games then. I really wish they'd kept it at Mondays at 8. I get a little wistful when that day/time comes around and I realize Chuck's not around anymore though I fully expect the show to do well in syndication somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:45:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 11, 2012, 09:42:10 PM

unsurprising since she did have a major part in ME2  Tongue

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: January 12, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 22, 2011, 05:30:41 PM

frack, forgot they were showing episodes in December.  missed the last two and of course it doesn't appear that they are online  thumbsdown

For whatever reason most of this season hasn't been online on Hulu so I've missed most of it.  You'd think for a fringe show they would want to get as many viewers as they could one way or the other.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 12, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 11, 2012, 09:51:25 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on January 11, 2012, 09:42:10 PM

unsurprising since she did have a major part in ME2  Tongue
I never played ME2, so i wouldn't know.  Truthiness!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 13, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 12, 2012, 04:35:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 22, 2011, 05:30:41 PM

For whatever reason most of this season hasn't been online on Hulu so I've missed most of it.  You'd think for a fringe show they would want to get as many viewers as they could one way or the other.

It's not a fringe show at this point though...two more episodes and it's all over, so they probably couldn't care much less about promoting the episodes or making them available online.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: January 15, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »

Is there still that 100 episodes to syndication thing going on, or has that basically been supplanted by dvds and online media? Because sad to see show end before the magic 100.

Anyway, last week's episode had me laughing out loud quite a bit overall, so I'm in all the way through to the end. Five seasons of a good show is enough and I'm glad to see they're really ending it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 15, 2012, 04:23:16 PM

Is there still that 100 episodes to syndication thing going on, or has that basically been supplanted by dvds and online media? Because sad to see show end before the magic 100.

Anyway, last week's episode had me laughing out loud quite a bit overall, so I'm in all the way through to the end. Five seasons of a good show is enough and I'm glad to see they're really ending it.
From what I read, 100 is still the magic number. I think Big Bang Theory just passed that point, and now you see it crop in broadcast syndication repeats on Fox and everywhere.

Also from what I read, Warner Bros. owns any would-be Chuck syndication rights (not NBC), so NBC had no vested interest in helping Chuck reach the Magic 100-episode mark. Looks like Chuck'll end up with 91 episodes -- that's three close-to-full seasons (seasons 2-4: 22, 19 and 24 episodes) bookended by half-seasons (13 episodes in the first season and the fifth/last one).

I don't know if WB could somehow get around that by ordering 9 more episodes on another network or on basic cable -- I don't know if that would count. Just like I don't know, if Southland survives a few more seasons, if its short NBC run counts towards the total episode syndication number, or only what has broadcast on TNT.

I still totally see Chuck getting repeat airings somewhere, maybe on the Ion channel or SyFy. I just don't know if the cast members or WB would benefit the same way without that full syndication stuff.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:55:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: January 16, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »

I heard an interview on the radio with Zachary Levi not to far back.  I don't recall the exact number but I'm pretty sure he said the syndication number is now actually 80 or 88 or something to that effect. 

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 16, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »

In fact just found this:
According to Wikipedia, for a TV show to enter daily syndication, the minimum number of episodes required would be 88, or 4 full seasons.

However the magic number for half hour sitcoms is usually 100.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 16, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »

Beat me to it.  Here's the wiki cite link:

From a series producer's perspective, the economics of primetime dramas are about not losing too much money per episode and keeping the series on the air long enough (usually four seasons, or 88 episodes) so it can go into strip syndication.

Strip syndication being scheduling it across the same timeslot M-F.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 16, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

I've heard 100 is a good number because a lot of syndicated shows are shown 5 days a week, so it fills up 20 weeks quite nicely, but I've also heard that 88 is good too, because that's usually 4 seasons for most prime time shows and it means that they at least have a dedicated following for it to continue that long.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 23, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »

If you hadn't heard, the series finale (Friday, 27th) will be 2-hours (!) long.

Series co-creator Josh Schwartz did a touching farewell column in the print edition of EW. I'll post a link once it's online; haven't been able to find it just yet. He's very gratified to the fans for helping the show survive as long as it did.

I kept hoping Scott Bakula's dad character (killed off) would return in some form, esp. now that Men of a Certain Age didn't get renewed. He's got time.  icon_smile Actually, I think Bakula's doing some stage work these days.

CNN had a funny piece on Vik Sahay (Lester), who's actually Canadian:

Vik Sahay floored by 'Chuck' fanbase
http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/20/chucks-vik-sahay/?hpt=hp_bn8
After the past five seasons of witnessing the fans' passion, Sahay understands just how much shows like "Chuck" can mean to fans.

"I did an interview in Toronto and the interviewer was talking about how their children had watched 'Chuck' (with them). And the idea that 'Chuck' was actually ending brought tears to this person’s eyes. The truth is I can be a very particular, perfectionist actor, madman. Every once in a while, I get a tap on the shoulder and (realize) 'Vik, you can relax – people are getting something beautiful out of it.'"
In retrospect, it's a shame the writer's strike hit when it did. The pre-strike ratings were actually, relatively good. After that long hiatus, the show never really seemed to regain its momentum, though you could probably say that about many shows around that time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:44:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 25, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »

Some more farewell love for the fans at ChuckTV.net...

Chuck Final Countdown: Adam Baldwin & Yvonne Strahovski on Saying Goodbye & Looking Ahead
http://chucktv.net/2012/01/25/chuck-final-countdown-adam-baldwin-yvonne-strahovski-on-saying-goodbye-looking-ahead/
Yvonne: I can’t stop crying. I’ve cried every day this whole month. I cried yesterday. I’ve just been crying every single day. I’m going to cry now. It’s horrible. I cried yesterday. I did my last fight scene ever.

Q: Adam’s been through this. Do you have advice for Yvonne?

Adam: She’s going on to bigger and better things. She doesn’t have anything to cry about. She’s got all the phone numbers and emails. She’ll see us around, once in a while.

Yvonne: Once in a while.

Adam: Down the road. That’s the funny thing about Hollywood. Yvonne walked off a plane into a family here and a new working atmosphere and now she’s got her feet dug into Los Angeles and she’s established and she’s going to be around for a long time. It’s really great to see nice people succeed.

Yvonne: That was very nice. Thank you. I’m going to cry.

Q: What’s the first thing you guys are going to do once you have your weekends back, once you have your time back? The first thing that you want to do that you haven’t been able to.

Yvonne:  Sleep.

Adam: Gun range.
icon_lol

And [a bit spoiler-ish]
http://chucktv.net/2012/01/25/chuck-final-countdown-adam-baldwin-chris-fedak-reminisce/
It’s going to be a two-hour finale. The first part of it is called “Chuck vs Sarah” and the second part’s called “Chuck vs the Good Bye”, and everything is at stake. It’s like all of our characters are at a crossroad, and it’s going to be interesting to see how it all falls out. But it’s definitely the biggest thing we’ve ever done on the Chuck show.

And with Zach and Josh (Chuck and Morgan):
http://chucktv.net/2012/01/24/chuck-final-countdown-zachary-levi-joshua-gomez/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:58:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 27, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »

Tonight's the 2-hour finale, one last reminder (I assume at 8 p.m. EST). Not gonna be sad about it -- I never dreamed the show would last as long as it did, or that it would outlast so many other NBC shows during its run. icon_smile

A sloppy farewell piece at CNN:
http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/27/saying-goodbye-to-chuck/?hpt=hp_bn8
One last shoutout (barring some sort of post-series conventions) from the cast and crew:
Members of the cast couldn't thank fans enough for their efforts, and spoke about what it was like to wrap up the series, and what they took with them.

Zachary Levi ("Chuck Bartowski"): "The realization that there's no more 'Buy More,' no more Chuck and Morgan, no more Chuck and Casey, no more Chuck and Sarah. That's heady stuff. It really hit you like a ton of bricks towards the end. I spent more time with that cast and crew than my own friends and family. The last episode, in particular, was incredibly charged with emotion and reflection. I feel like we were able to offer the fans a finale that was fitting of the rest of the series, something that homages a lot to the beginnings of 'Chuck' the show, and Chuck the character."

Adam Baldwin ("John Casey"): "There were a lot of tears shed [by cast and crew] over the last episode. Everyone got to say their goodbyes in character, and in real life. All in all, one of the best experiences of my working life. It was the longest I've worked on a show, and some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. It's something I'll remember."

Yvonne Strahovski ("Sarah Walker"): "The last month felt like one of the biggest emotional roller coasters of my life. It was like breaking up with someone who you've been with so many years. It was like, who will be in my life now? And how the hell do I say goodbye to Sarah Walker and everything she stands for in my life? I knew it would be emotional, I just didn't think it would be that emotional."

Vik Sahay ("Lester Patel"): "I really don't like coming out of character when I'm working, but this season it was almost impossible not to. Every time you did a scene, it was 'oh, this is the last time we're doing a scene here.' The whole season had that feeling of rawness coming. This was a big rite of passage for me. [The cast and crew] were my base and my foundation. As the years go on, I'll realize how critical that was."

Levi: "I took the 'Buy More' phone [home] – not the 'Vicki Vale' phone, but the red phone. I took the 'Last Starfighter' poster in Chuck's hallway. I took the tobacco Indian statue from Chuck and Sarah's apartment, which served no purpose in any episode, but I thought that would be cool to have, to place in my living room, and remind me of this five year journey."

Strahovski: "I took my spy watch and gave it to my dad. I took Sarah's evening spy watch, and gave it to my mom."

Sahay: "I took my 'Nerd Herd' outfit and a 'Buy More' sign."

Strahovski: "I will be eternally thankful to the fans of 'Chuck,' and thank them in every interview I do."

Baldwin: "I'd just like to express my sincere gratitude and love and appreciation for sticking with us for five years, and caring about our characters, and embracing Zachary Levi, Yvonne Strahovski, Joshua Gomez and everyone. I like to see nice guys finish first, and that's what this show 'Chuck' gave to these young actors."

Sahay: "Without sounding too grandiose or corny, is that you look back on your life, and you think about when this movie came out, and the summer you went to that concert. For myself, these will be the 'Chuck' years. And I hope for fans, these will be the 'Chuck' years for them too, in some small way."

Levi: "Thank you for believing in us from the beginning. Thank you for fighting for us since the beginning. As somebody who, ever since he was a kid, this is what he wanted to do, to know that people believe in you and care, and support what you do and want you to keep doing it, it's the greatest thing you can ever ask for. And we got that in spades from our fans."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:13:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 27, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »

looking forward to an announcement about a complete series on blu ray package deal.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »

EW did finally post show co-creator Josh Schwartz's farewell ode:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/27/chuck-finale-josh-schwartz-goodbye-essay/?google_editors_picks=true
As momentum for Chuck’s first season started to build, the writers’ strike hit. We didn’t know if we’d be back. We anxiously waited almost a year to return. As season 2 came to an end, we learned that NBC was going to air The Jay Leno Show five nights a week in prime time, eliminating five hours of time slots. Once again our future was in jeopardy. We may not have been a breakout hit, but we had a passionate fan base, and when NBC released its preliminary fall schedule in 2009 and Chuck wasn’t on it, those fans mobilized.

This wasn’t just a letter-writing campaign but something that involved a new weapon in a fan’s crusade to save a show: mayonnaise. We had done some not-so-subtle product integrations promoting Subway sandwiches (which are delicious!). So our fans hit Subway shops around the world, ordering tens of thousands of foot-long turkeys. This garnered attention on a national level. NBC took note. With a mixture of pride and awe I can tell you: Chuck was saved by sandwiches. And by the greatest, most passionate fans in the universe.
Alas, I gave up on foot longs a long time ago (that's what she said). Too much damn sodium.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 28, 2012, 03:59:04 AM »

Well, that was a ball, although with Sarah...
Spoiler for Hiden:
You never really get to see the Real Sarah except flashbacks and I guess the final seconds there.  icon_smile

Co-creator Chris Fedak wrote the final hour's script, and Robert Duncan McNeill (Paris in ST: Voyager, though he directed many of what seemed to be the most popular Chuck episodes) directed the finale. I haven't seen McNeill as actor in so many years -- he plays the gruff commando on the helicopter with Casey in one scene.

Once you've seen it, might check out TV Line's post-finale interviews with Fedak and Schwartz:
http://www.tvline.com/2012/01/chuck-series-finale-spoilers-secrets-recap-review/
TVLINE | If I gave you an extra hour for the finale, what would you have done with it?
SCHWARTZ | The original [cut] was almost an extra hour longer.
FEDAK | It’s true. Chuck episodes sometimes come in a little long — not this season as much, but this one came in quite a bit long. We actually got it a little bit of extra time from NBC for it.
SCHWARTZ | Some of the additional scenes will be on the DVD.
FEDAK | That’s right, we actually have a longer version coming out on the DVD.

TVLINE | Simply extended edits of scenes or also new entire scenes?
SCHWARTZ | You’ll have a couple of entire scenes. It will be eight minutes longer. And there are extended scenes within Act 5. It will be nice.
FEDAK | So even after tonight, there will still be the opportunity to see some new Chuck.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 28, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »

WTF was that?  Why do I get the feeling that ending was a giant f-u to Chuck fans?  Would it have killed them to write a happy, non-ambiguous, non-break up the team, leave everything in limbo ending?  Why do writers think that anyone likes these kind of endings?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 28, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »

The entire last hour was a love letter to fans (at least an attempt at one), including glimpses of scenes from about 20 different episodes, maybe more. Even the Weinerlicious.  icon_razz

Now I would agree that too much of the 2-hour finale (esp. the first hour) to me was reaching for a certain level of emotional anguish perhaps beyond what the show really needed. The gimmick was to give them an excuse to flash back to various episodes over the last 5 years -- I'd argue that most fans would rather have spent a fun and maybe romantic final hour with the crew, rather than anguish and anguish and more anguish.  icon_smile I really didn't watch the show much in its death-knell Friday time slot, so I can't say whether it's in keeping with the final season's overall flavor.

Most memorable planned series finales I can think of -- think back to M*A*S*H or The Mary Tyler Moore Show and other classics -- don't end with everyone happily tied up in a bow and continuing as a team. They end up with the memorable crew breaking up and going their own ways. The war ends, the news cast ends, the business closes, people bid tearful goodbyes, etc. It's a long tradition with TV series, at least for those lucky enough to know when their last episode is, and plan for it. I was happy to see all the characters going off happily in their own directions.

From interviews, Fedak was aware it wouldn't necessarily be the way everyone wanted it to end but hey, he's co-creator, and they ended it the way they wanted to (wasn't dictated by NBC suits). I don't know if "F&ck you!" was necessarily the "open to interpretation" ending they wanted fans to have, but if that's one's interpretation, that's one's interpretation.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:32:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 28, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »

The 4th and 5th season were all about Sarah and Chuck gradually growing beyond spies and wanting a normal life.  The whole theme of the 5th season was Sarah literally pining for a house with a white picket fence and a baby.  Morgan, Ellie and Awesome, Jeff and Lester all get their happy endings, but for the two main characters, we get a final scene where Sarah (and the fans) have been robbed of all the growth and emotion that's built up over 5 years and Chuck and Sarah are reset back to the starting point, with the added bonus of Chuck getting to know what he's lost.  Closure!

This wasn't MASH, which was a comedy set in a tragedy.  Chuck was a great show because it was generally lighthearted, happy, funloving, goofy, nerdy, loving and romantic.  Bad guys were caricatures, good guys were awesome.  It had two of the most likeable main characters of any series ever, who were just generally great people who grew greater as the show went on.  In season 3 they tampered with that formula, and the show sucked.  Look at anyone's top episodes list and see if there's anything from season 3 on there - there isn't.  Season 3 is when they tried to go dark and angsty.  That's not what people like about Chuck!  So naturally they decide to end the series by taking away all of their hopes and dreams, and leaving everyone wondering where they go from here.  The show was effectively a fairy tale, so where's the happily ever after?

The Weinerlicious, the tango, Jeffster were all great.  They could have revisited all those scenes and locations in an epic chase of Quinn.  Even that was a let down - we're to believe that he was the mastermind behind the big bads of seasons 1, 2 and 4 - and yet he goes out with a wimper.  There was zero reason to torture the characters and fans by reverting everthing that had been accomplished, and absolutely refusing to give them the happy ending that the series was leading up to. 
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 28, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »

It wasn't a super finale, but I thought it was decent. I certainly didn't interpret the end as a complete restart for Chuck and Sarah.  Plus, do we really think no one can build another intersect? :-P

Loved Jeffster, cameos, and the extra spots like the Weinerliscious.

For some reason I want subway for lunch now...
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20:02 AM »

Quote from: Rowdy on January 28, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

The show was effectively a fairy tale, so where's the happily ever after?

Right there in front of you, when Prince Charming kissed Sleeping Beauty in the show's very final shot.

I'm serious: the ending was only a bummer if you don't believe Morgan's "crazy theory". If you do, though, then the show really did end with Chuck and Sarah getting their happily ever after. And the episode took pains to show that Sarah's memories weren't completely gone - she remembered carving her name in the doorframe, she remembered the layout of the Weinerlicous, she remembered Irene Demova - so it's not much of a stretch to think the kiss really did bring her back. I suppose they could have been a little more obvious about it - ending with Sarah opening her eyes, maybe, or even putting the kiss at the start of the beach scene and then playing that final montage on her retinas, Intersect-flash-style - but even without hitting me over the head with it, I don't have a problem going away with the belief that Chuck got the girl (back).

As for the rest of the episode, I agree that it was an underwhelming finale on the whole. All their other "we may never get another episode" episodes were better, most notably "Chuck versus the Ring" and "Chuck versus the Honeymooners". Quinn was a thoroughly underwhelming final villain and the "chase Quinn around the globe" plot was entirely pedestrian. I also didn't like that, despite the attempt to showcase the original Badass Casey, he basically never got to be a badass. He deserved a cavalry-to-the-rescue scene (preferably with Gertrude) on par with his through-the-ceiling takedown of Ted Rourke.

That said, Jeffster got a great send-off, selling the Buy More to Subway was hilarious and I was happy with Ellie and Awesome's resolution. I also think it was appropriate to make the final episodes focus around a Chuck and Sarah will-they-or-won't-they, since that was  the driving force for the entire show...it just could have been handled a little better.

I'm not happy that the show's over and it's shame that they didn't go out on a high note but I'd say they went out on a solid middle-C, which is more than a lot of a shows (*coughEnterprisecough*) manage, so I can live with it.

- Ash
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 29, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on January 29, 2012, 03:20:02 AM

Quote from: Rowdy on January 28, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

The show was effectively a fairy tale, so where's the happily ever after?

Right there in front of you, when Prince Charming kissed Sleeping Beauty in the show's very final shot.

I'm serious: the ending was only a bummer if you don't believe Morgan's "crazy theory". If you do, though, then the show really did end with Chuck and Sarah getting their happily ever after. And the episode took pains to show that Sarah's memories weren't completely gone - she remembered carving her name in the doorframe, she remembered the layout of the Weinerlicous, she remembered Irene Demova - so it's not much of a stretch to think the kiss really did bring her back. I suppose they could have been a little more obvious about it - ending with Sarah opening her eyes, maybe, or even putting the kiss at the start of the beach scene and then playing that final montage on her retinas, Intersect-flash-style - but even without hitting me over the head with it, I don't have a problem going away with the belief that Chuck got the girl (back).

As for the rest of the episode, I agree that it was an underwhelming finale on the whole. All their other "we may never get another episode" episodes were better, most notably "Chuck versus the Ring" and "Chuck versus the Honeymooners". Quinn was a thoroughly underwhelming final villain and the "chase Quinn around the globe" plot was entirely pedestrian. I also didn't like that, despite the attempt to showcase the original Badass Casey, he basically never got to be a badass. He deserved a cavalry-to-the-rescue scene (preferably with Gertrude) on par with his through-the-ceiling takedown of Ted Rourke.

That said, Jeffster got a great send-off, selling the Buy More to Subway was hilarious and I was happy with Ellie and Awesome's resolution. I also think it was appropriate to make the final episodes focus around a Chuck and Sarah will-they-or-won't-they, since that was  the driving force for the entire show...it just could have been handled a little better.

I'm not happy that the show's over and it's shame that they didn't go out on a high note but I'd say they went out on a solid middle-C, which is more than a lot of a shows (*coughEnterprisecough*) manage, so I can live with it.

- Ash

I hear you, and I know we're supposed to imagine it all worked out alright... but I have trouble with that.  I prefer to see them walk through the door of their house and having a baby to know that the imaginary characters that apparently have the ability to make me lose sleep are ok.   icon_biggrin

Yes, I would have preferred a intersect style montage of Sarah getting her memories back, or eyes opening wide and throwing her arms around him, or something.  I guess I'm a softy that way.  I take solace in the fact that apparently Yvonne Stravhosky felt the same thing I did when she first got the script - she described it as a bit of a tragedy and major suprise compared to how she thought the series would end for her character.  Stupid writers having to be mysterious and interpretive. 

My epic nerd rage is fading today, thankfully - my wife was somewhat concerned last night when I stomped down the stairs announcing that I was going to go burn down the NBC studios.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 29, 2012, 05:20:41 AM »

I too thought they would do an intersect like flash for Sarah on the kiss. Wonder why they didn't go that way?
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 29, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on January 29, 2012, 05:05:26 AM

I hear you, and I know we're supposed to imagine it all worked out alright... but I have trouble with that.  I prefer to see them walk through the door of their house and having a baby to know that the imaginary characters that apparently have the ability to make me lose sleep are ok.

FWIW, the ending I was expecting since about five minutes into "Chuck Versus Sarah" was that Chuck had the trump of Intersect "flash cards": I was waiting for him to pull out that little drawing he did of Sarah with the baby and the house and the picket fence, which I was sure was going to undo all of Quinn's mental manipulations. I was quite surprised that that drawing never popped up again.

- Ash
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #918 on: January 30, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »

Quite an ending to a great series. Both a happy and sad ending to it all.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Honestly, I don't think the one magical kiss brings back all of Sarah's memories. However, it's pretty clear through the writing and acting of characters that the things that brought Chuck and Sarah together the first time are still there, and Sarah still remembers some small part intrinsically. With relationships, that intrinsic feel that things are right often means more than straight up compatibility, it's hard to build up, but it's still between the two characters.

While I also would have liked a super happy ending, I think it's fine that they ended on a but of an emotional struggle that ends with some happiness. She's on that beach for a reason after all, and she's the one who wants him to kiss her anyway. Them getting back together is a pretty sure thing

There's a lot of hints to future happiness for everyone Chuck has the intersect again, along with his tech skills rekindled he can do practically anything he wants to do now, and make lots of money with it. That includes keeping up with someone like Sarah if she wants to continue doing spy stuff for a while. But from past episodes is pretty clear that even way back to the times that Sarah only remembers, she still felt some call to a life that Chuck can give her.

Ellie and Awesome get awesome new jobs, with their spy mom still back in their lives.

Jeffster get the rock careers they've always wanted. From nobodies to German rock celebrities, that's one super happy ending.

Big Mike now is probably back in charge of the Buy More/Subway, so back in charge and free subs? Heaven for him.

Morgan and Alex getting more serious and likely settling together. Morgan's future options are open, stay and work for Chuck, or go do whatever.

Casey also getting the best (wo)manhunt of his life to look forward to, and many years of

Honestly, I really like the whole 5 year arc of Chuck's character, especially the later years where real training starts to kick in and you see some holding his own in some spy stuff, usually failing overall, but still holding his own.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:12:33 AM by Turtle » Logged
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 30, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on January 29, 2012, 01:25:04 PM

Quote from: Rowdy on January 29, 2012, 05:05:26 AM

I hear you, and I know we're supposed to imagine it all worked out alright... but I have trouble with that.  I prefer to see them walk through the door of their house and having a baby to know that the imaginary characters that apparently have the ability to make me lose sleep are ok.

FWIW, the ending I was expecting since about five minutes into "Chuck Versus Sarah" was that Chuck had the trump of Intersect "flash cards": I was waiting for him to pull out that little drawing he did of Sarah with the baby and the house and the picket fence, which I was sure was going to undo all of Quinn's mental manipulations. I was quite surprised that that drawing never popped up again.

- Ash

That would have been genius!  Sarah could have flashed on the drawing and everything come flooding back.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: