http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chuck Season 4 discussion (spoilers!!!)  (Read 51521 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »

Season four discussion starts on page 17
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:21:16 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »

Very happy to see Chuck (Sarah) back.  I enjoyed the episode.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »

I loved it!  All the romance, the humor, the crazy antics - it's all back!!  Much more enjoyable than Heroes, IMHO.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Mad Max scene caught me completely by surprise, absolutely hilarious!  Also love the interplay between Chuck and Adam Baldwin, particularly when Adam tells him to put it back in his pants.  I had to watch it twice to make sure I didn't hear wrong!

P.S.  Also finally got to see shirtless Chuck, yummy (that doesn't count as a spoiler does it?)  thumbsup

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:45 PM »

It's a great little show.  I feel the same way about Chuck as I do Eureka:  great cast that works so well together that they make any inconsistencies in the plot/script a minor annoyance at best. 

My favorite part?

Spoiler for Hiden:
  The almost boyish glee Adam Baldwin's character shows when no one's looking as he races off to watch Jeff eat 90 twinkies in one sitting.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:59:23 PM »

Yup, caught this on hulu last night. Very nice to have the show back on.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:42:10 PM »

I liked the show last year, and then sort of trailered off (Reaper was my other favorite new show last year, and has similar ratings challenges). *but* I bought the DVD set the other day, and I watched the entire 13 episodes over the weekend and fell in love with it.  icon_cool

Apparently ratings weren't so hot for any of NBC's MOnday shows yesterday but I am pulling for Chuck with all I can muster.  icon_smile

I actually stayed up way too late watching the premiere a second time at NBC's site, and then a lengthy Comic-Con panel discussion with the show's cast and crew (and they all seem about as fun and funny as you would guess).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:48:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »

I guess I won't hyperventilate about the ratings (I loved the premiere, but TV columnists indicate it's the lowest rated/least watched episode of the show so far, even given the post writers'-strike recovery blues). I dug up some stuff about execs ordering a full second season back during the summer. As long as someone in upper management believes in the show, it should survive.  icon_smile
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i3338808b4eeae51f6e22b5f269c0b2e9

Getting back to this episode - as a gamer, you have to love a show where the hero recites his buddy's Call of Duty 4 strategy to get out of a dangerous pickle.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »

Damn it.  I nearly always miss the first show of the season because I don't keep up on when they start! 

I really enjoy Chuck, too.  (I find the woman who plays Sara to be so hot, it's scary).

Can you watch this online somehow?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »

Yeah, they've had the episode up on their web page since a week before the on-TV premiere. NBC.com or hulu.com.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »

Go here, because I want to make it as convenient as possible.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

I really enjoy this show. I think its a good blend between comedy and action.

The only issue I have is that almost every show is "This is it you are no longer the Intersect" I understand the plot behind it but it just seems to be getting old.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on October 02, 2008, 03:46:12 PM

I really enjoy this show. I think its a good blend between comedy and action.

The only issue I have is that almost every show is "This is it you are no longer the Intersect" I understand the plot behind it but it just seems to be getting old.

That was kind of the issue with Reaper as well.  Hopefully both shows will move forward from their basic premises in their sophomore seasons and really advance the characters as well as storylines.  Reaper was already heading the right direction at the end of last season.  Chuck it remains to be seen but after this season's premiere developments, my hope is they can move on from that premise.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:11:56 AM »

that.freakin.ROCKED!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 01:42:28 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on September 30, 2008, 08:00:23 PM

Chuck, the computer geek turned CIA operative working at the Buy More is back! And just as good as before!

This show is absolutely brilliant.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Gotta love when Morgan told Michael Clarke Duncan his "Counterstrike" strategy over the phone! I almost fell off the couch laughing

Now we just need Reaper back and life will be good.

psst it was call of duty 4
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »

Quote from: naednek on October 03, 2008, 01:42:28 AM

Chuck, the computer geek turned CIA operative working at the Buy More is back! And just as good as before!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Gotta love when Morgan told Michael Clarke Duncan his "Counterstrike" strategy over the phone! I almost fell off the couch laughing

What? Am I writing an A&E Biography about it?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on October 03, 2008, 12:32:17 PM

Quote from: naednek on October 03, 2008, 01:42:28 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

What? Am I writing an A&E Biography about it?

yes.  now back to writing you hack  Tongue

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 10:09:32 PM »

Although it's more of a Zachary Levi Lovefest site than a Chuck site per se, I've found http://zachary-levi.com/ is a good "aggregator" site of all things (including gobs of videos) Chuck that ever mention or pertain to Levi.  icon_cool The guy is just remarkably nice and "normal" whether in interviews, signing autographs or goofing off at Comic-Con.

What should be comforting for Chuck fans ratings wise is that Fox's heavily hyped Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, which airs opposite it, is floundering far worse in the ratings and many TV columnists expect it not to survive through this season. And I noticed the far more hyped Pushing Daisies on ABC (it airs on a different day) premiered to far, far worse ratings than Chuck did. So there's that.

A lot of year-to-year comparisons right now are a little screwy because they're comparing to last season's "Pre writers strike" premieres. And more and more people right now are watching things via iTunes, Hulu, Web sites or DVRs, none of which Nielsen ratings have found a way to include yet. I dread the ratings getting too much fixation from network execs -- because then we'll get nothing but knockoffs of American Idol, CSI, Law & Order and diva soaps.  disgust

I think from what I've read, while the Intersect will be a common "background arc" through the season, it won't likely be dominating each episode the way it did in the premiere. Bryce is supposed to return at some point, too.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 02:03:23 AM »

Ah yes, Chuck is back. Yahoo!!

Sarah: that girl's so hot she could cook bacon if it were laid on her belly.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 05:29:08 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 03, 2008, 10:09:32 PM

A lot of year-to-year comparisons right now are a little screwy because they're comparing to last season's "Pre writers strike" premieres. And more and more people right now are watching things via iTunes, Hulu, Web sites or DVRs, none of which Nielsen ratings have found a way to include yet. I dread the ratings getting too much fixation from network execs -- because then we'll get nothing but knockoffs of American Idol, CSI, Law & Order and diva soaps.  disgust

Nielsen has provided views from DVRs a week after the program first aired.  If you record something and let it sit, it won't be counted, but if you do within the first week it will, though I don't believe it is an actual part of the TV ratings.  I think it is something provided to the networks specifically.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 06:27:30 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on October 04, 2008, 02:03:23 AM

Ah yes, Chuck is back. Yahoo!!

Sarah: that girl's so hot she could cook bacon if it were laid on her belly.

how about if we taped it to here belly with cellophane tape?

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 01:47:48 AM »

Couple new clips from episode #2:
http://zachary-levi.com/2008/10/04/chuck-versus-the-seduction/

I don't know how Levi managed to memorize his continuous seduction speech in the first clip.  icon_lol John Laroquette's going to teach him the "art of seduction."  icon_razz I was reading in EW Laroquette's a big fan of the show.

I had missed this "Chuck: A Look at Season Two" montage put together for Comic-Con fans, including a pretty funny into by Adam Baldwin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX7czCEk4UU&eurl=http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37687
A lot's from the premiere, but much of it's from episodes 2 and later. I think I read about 6-7 episodes are "in the can" as they say.

There's about a zillion different interviews, promos and "fan mishmash videos" (There's almost as many about "Chuck and Sarah" as there are about "Jim and Pam" from The Office) at You Tube, if you're into that. I'm unashamedly into that, and I've got a few dozen in my favorites now. The cast comes across as genuinely charming off screen as on, and Levi really is a videogame/gadget freak.

His best story, in an interview from New Zealand where he and Yvonne Strahovski visited for some promo photography, is that he cut his right hand playing Wii Tennis -- he tried to do an overhead smash and smashed his hand right into the ceiling-mounted light fixture.  icon_eek Perhaps they'll write that into a script some day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-adgzllJStQ

Strahovski's (Sarah) Australian, and always does interviews in her normal Aussie accent. It's a little jarring to hear in the interview videos. I think I've only seen one where she's asked to "speak in her American accent" and it's fun to hear her shift between the two so seamlessly.  icon_smile

Thought I'd take a break from my Nielsen ratings worrying to just be a fanboy.  icon_cool

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:01:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 01:28:29 AM »

Tonight's episode was a blast, although Casey (Adam Baldwin) had little to do. I guess they've got so many characters running around, it's hard to find time for everybody. Larroquette was a lot of fun, and bounced pretty well off Levi. I read he might get a return appearance or two down the road (it's a long season afterall).

I don't know if people noticed in the credits, but Robert Duncan McNeil (best known as Tom Paris on Star Trek: Voyager, but now focused on directing a variety of TV stuff), who directed some Season 1 episodes, including appropriately enough "Chuck vs. The Sandworm," is listed as one of the producers on the show. icon_smile

I had a long day at work, and the best thing I can say about the show is I always feel better after watching it.  icon_smile I don't think #2 has hit the various sites (Hulu.com, NBC's site etc.) just yet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:30:52 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 02:23:15 AM »

It hasn't yet, which makes me sad  crybaby I miss it for Tae Kwon Do, and all I want to do afterwards is see Chuck, but the NBC gods are thwarting me.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 03:24:34 AM »

This NBC "red carpet" video has a spoiler-ish reveal (at about the 1:16 mark) about the actors playing Captain Awesome's parents in a later episode:
http://zachary-levi.com/2008/10/06/nbc-red-carpet-interview-with-the-cast-of-chuck-part-2/
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bruce Boxleitner and Morgan Fairchild apparently play his parents.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:26:57 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 12:25:53 PM »

Episode 2's up at Hulu, here's ze link:

#2: Chuck Versus The Seduction
http://www.hulu.com/watch/37997/chuck-chuck-versus-the-seduction

Stumbled on another fan site that's updated fairly often:
http://chucktv.net/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:28:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »

Someone needs to make an animated gif of Sarah crawling already.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 11:28:44 PM »

And yet fans are still crying about the demise of the "Weiner-Licious" restaurant and her accompanying wardrobe.  icon_lol

And sigh, it's clear if the show's going to reach a 3rd season, NBC has got to move it and maybe Heroes too away from "Dancing With The Stars," which is devouring the 8-10 p.m. audience on Mondays. Chuck's ratings slipped from the premiere, which is sad.
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/10/ratings-dancing.html

It has a full season 2 commitment, but I really think it's going to need to find a less brutally competitive spot at some point. Otherwise some network exec's going to want to put a reality/contest show in that slot too. disgust Though everything I've read suggests the Suits love the first half dozen episodes of season 2 that they've seen so far. I just gotta hope they Keep the Faith.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:35:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 03:18:32 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 07, 2008, 11:28:44 PM

And yet fans are still crying about the demise of the "Weiner-Licious" restaurant and her accompanying wardrobe.  icon_lol

That's the first thing I noticed when they showed her in the new store. BUMMER!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 05:32:27 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on October 08, 2008, 03:18:32 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on October 07, 2008, 11:28:44 PM

That's the first thing I noticed when they showed her in the new store. BUMMER!

I forgave this when I saw here crawling across the floor in the second episode of season 2.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »

Hey, if they *do* replace the show with reality programming, Yvonne already has some experience at least...  icon_wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Czcv8kRedw
That's an Aussie satire of reality TV shows she did just before Chuck

For all things Yvonne, check out:
http://yvonnestrahovski.net/

I think she did say she actually preferred the Weiner-licious outfit/pony tails for fight scenes -- the shoes were flat heeled and comfortable, and her hair being tied up kept it out of her face during fight scenes.  icon_smile

They've already released some stills as far ahead as episodes 4 (Nicole Ritchie guest star; Sarah [Yvonne] goes to her own 10th high school reunion with Chuck as her date), and 5 (Tony Hale guest star, and then a few more episodes after that as the Buy More's newest assistant store manager).

From what I've read, the writers' strike has so far been brutal on just about every show that debuted last year, including NBC's Life (about the same ratings as Chuck so far) and ABC's whole Wednesday Night lineup (Pushing Daisies etc.). Heck, maybe they should move Chuck and Life to Wednesday, since ABC's competition is mostly ailing that night to begin with and not a Cultural Icon like Dancing With The Stars.  icon_neutral

So I just hope the networks stay the course with last season's debut shows and maybe focus more on where ratings are at the end of Season 2 rather than on the early going.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:36:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »

Episode 2, Chuck vs. The Seduction is finally up on NBC's site as well:
http://www.nbc.com/Chuck/video/episodes/#vid=731021

So, whether you watch it there or Hulu, lets give Chuck some "eyeball views" at least.  thumbsup

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 08:57:03 PM »

I was looking at the prime-time skeds over at TVguide.com (at the bottom of the home page is a useful TV sked):
http://www.tvguide.com/

The Blackjack scheme is to put that miserable Knight Rider remake out of its misery and move Chuck there. Then it's going against Bones on Fox (I like Bones, but it's no ratings juggernaut), the fading Pushing Daisies on ABC and sitcoms New Adventures of Old Christine and the poorly reviewed Gary Unmarried on CBS.

It's obvious being a lead-in to Heroes isn't helping Chuck's ratings (or Heroes for that matter), so I don't know if leading it into Biggest Loser: Families  icon_confused would hurt it any more then leaving it to get mauled by Dancing With the Stars week after week in terms of "traditional" viewership ratings. Or heck, move Chuck and Heroes to Wednesday, and see if Knight Rider/Biggest Loser is better counter-programming to the Dancing juggernaut.

Of course there is something to be said to not jerking a show around on the schedule back and forth (something NBC keeps doing with Friday Night Lights but it still gets so-so ratings). Just my 2 cents - not that NBC's gonna listen to me. If only I were a Suit at NBC. I'd whip 'em into shape. drillsergeant  icon_razz
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:01:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »

Monday's episode was by far the funniest one I've seen.  I watched it with a friend who was visiting and we were both surprised at how much we laughed.  I hope this means they've hit their stride.  I always thought it was amusing, but it went to a whole new level with this last episode.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 02:20:03 AM »

Because my life is soooo empty, I typed up all the entries on the "Wheel of Misfortune" in Episode 2. Like so...
Wheel of Misfortune
-You're Fired [in red]
-The Hole
-The Cage
-Floor Inventory
-Storeroom Inventory
-Display Duty
-Customer Service
-7 p.m. Breakroom Clean Up
-Check Out
-Parking Lot Cart Duty
-Dust Big Mike's Office
-Diaper Station Duty
-Bathroom Cleanup
icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »

One thing I'd liked to have seen is the marlin in Big Mikes office taped up after it was broken last season, instead it looks like he has a new fish on the wall.  Would have been a great shout back to an earlier episode.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 05:42:30 AM »

I noticed that too when I was re-watching the episode via NBC's site.

Skip this if you'd rather the next couple episodes remain a suprise, but that Zach Levi fan site dug up some "NBC publicity feeds" that extensively preview the next two episodes (about 8 minutes footage apiece).

http://zachary-levi.com/2008/10/11/chuck-episodes-203-204-sneak-peeks/

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »

I enjoyed Monday's episode though I'm not sure just how long they can ride the "can Chuck and Sarah ever really be a couple or not" wagon.  icon_razz

#3 is up at Hulu today:
Episode 3: Chuck vs. the Break Up
http://www.hulu.com/watch/39027/chuck-chuck-vs-the-break-up
If you ever watched "Crossing Jordan," you'll recognize one of the guest stars. I think it would've been more fun to cast retired NY Giant Michael Strahan as a nice guy or a wimp (maybe even a Nerd Herd wannabe), rather than just make him a frothing-at-the-mouth bully, though he certainly plays it to the hilt.

There's an interesting (if you're into ratings anyway) site called TV by the Numbers. Here's the recap from Monday. The mildly good news for Chuck is it seemed to finally improve a bit from the previous week. Nothing spectacular, but any sort of forward progress would be nice.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/10/14/monday-night-ratings-dancing-with-the-stars-two-and-half-men-lead-night/6155
Both Heroes and Chuck were up slightly versus last week’s fast affiliate numbers but that’s probably little consolation for NBC, especially with My Own Worst Enemy debuting to a last place (in terms of viewers) 7.3 million at 10pm. Enemy came in second among 18-49 year olds.
The whole "came in second" is kind of a misnomer. The non humongous networks are so far behind in these sorts of ratings numbers (aside from Fox's American Idol) generally, that "second place" is almost more like "second to last." It all goes down to that "glass half empty" vs. "glass half full" viewpoint.  icon_neutral

My Own Worst Enemy seems too much like "Chuck minus the comedy" (split personality guy is violent spy in one life, and boring family man in the other).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:14:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 06:27:14 PM »

I liked the comic con mug at the end when he picks up the glasses.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »

One of the Zach Levi fan sites has an amusing gallery of "Chuck personalities as South Park characters":
http://zachary-levi.com/photogallery/thumbnails.php?album=201
 icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »

Boy they really packed these first 3 episodes with a lot of stuff didn't they? It feels like they've gone through half a season already, heh.

SPOILERS!
Loved the "exchange" between Chuck and the guy with the chip. Michael Strahan was surprisingly good, though obviously his role wasn't too much of a stretch for him. I could have done without the prolonged Madden advertisement. I could have also done without the "you got it?" ripoff of The Untouchables. But it was a fun episode and I look forward to seeing what happens with that intersect update at the end there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: