http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 02:31:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of Riddick Movie  (Read 2286 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2004, 12:10:23 PM »

Ok, so I just got back from a screening of The Chronicles of Riddick.  Here is the skinny:

I'd say its a 2.5-3 stars out of 5 movie.

It falls down in terms of really capturing the atmosphere that made Pitch Black cool.  There isn't the always-present monsters to push the movie.  The Necromongers are cool and all but they are honestly underused.  Really the whole movie is bits of quick backstory that never really adjusts the lenses to focus on a select few.  It leaves you not caring too much about the cast and their fate.

All that said, most of the special effects are fantastic. (Although admittedly some are not)  The fight scenes are equally impressive (a particular spin hook kick by a chick in the movie comes to mind) and really keep you coming back.  If you are a fan of Pitch Black you'll undoubtedly reconnect with Riddick and enjoy hearing a whole lot about his past.  If you haven't seen Pitch Black, you might find yourself a little lost on this one.  

Final word on the movie: Rental, or if you have to see it on the big screen turn off your brain and hit the matinee.  Although, a quick scan of RottenTomatoes reveals that Pitch Black scored similarly.  Overall I thought the movie was fun, but mired in its own rush to explain too much.

I'll answer any questions anyone has...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 04:05:26 PM »

Bah to you, I say. I'm there as soon as I can be! smile I loved Pitch Black and having beat EFBB the other day, I'm really curious where the mythology is headed. Early word was that it setup the sequels nicely. Any comment on that?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 04:40:25 PM »

Oh definately, it sets up the bridge between the game and the previous movie quite nicely.  Very well handled.  It also sets up for a sequel. smile

Don't get me wrong, if you liked Pitch Black at ALL you need to go see this movie.  For the casual movie person though, ehh....its still a good action flick, but don't pay full price if you haven't seen Pitch Black.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 09:11:02 PM »

This is a sequel to Pitch Black? Strange that I've never seen PB... my Dad usually rents anything and everything. Hmmm...
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 06:57:08 AM »

It's a prequel

And I disagree about this statement...

If you haven't seen Pitch Black, you might find yourself a little lost on this one.

This movie was so different from PB, i think anyone could just watch it without knowing  anything about the other movie.  The only similarities of the two is that Riddick has eyeshine, and that's about it.

I do have a question...

When riddick went into Necropolis and he was in that chamber where the pools of silver liquid was reading his mind (I guess that's what they were doing) you saw some images of Pitch Black (those aliens)  if this is a prequel, why is that in there?  Were they looking into the future?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »

Its not a Prequel, its a sequel.  Listen to the beginning part again: "Its been five years....I knew they'd come looking for me" or somesuch.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 04:12:18 PM »

well now things start to make sense

man many different people have been telling me it was a prequel
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 04:17:02 PM »

I think it was originally conceptualized as a prequel, but it's obvious they made it a sequel from everything I've read.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 09:38:23 PM »

Well, it is certainly a sequel as the girl who was posing as a guy (Jack) is in this one, but older..and really good looking. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 09:59:24 PM »

I'm no expert here, but I think the chronological order of the three pieces of riddick related entertainment would go:

Escape from Butcher Bay Game
Pitch Black Movie
Chronicles of Riddick Movie

Right?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 10:04:43 PM »

You would be correct.  There is also an Anime that I've not seen, it fits in somewhere, and then there will be a sequel to Chronicles of Riddick.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 09:01:39 PM »

Overall, I enjoyed it but once they get to the prison planet Crematoria all sense of pacing just goes right out the window. There are so many individual moments where the movie just has the perfect amount of badassery that I loved it. I'd say the entire Necromonger storyline was just stupid as all hell, with this "'til Underverse come" malarky not even believed by the actors saying the lines. The only times I really felt what I was seeing was even remotely believable was any time Riddick was on screen doing his bad ass thing.

Highlights:

The opening w/ the mercs

"I'm not with these people. I just want a piece of him."

"I'd have gone a different way."

Riddick's conversation w/ Tombs and the mercs

The entire Crematoria sequence which was truly cool, but felt like it belonged in a different movie.

"Who's ship is this?"

The dogs, which were one of the coolest ideas of an evolved species I've seen in a while

"Split four ways!"

The better effects used for Riddick's eyes

Kayla stretched out on the rocks above Riddick, which is a shot not to be missed. biggrin

The ending being fairly cool, yet really predictable if you've been listening to really anything the Necros have said through the entirety of the movie. Do not believe anyone that says the ending surprised them- they are dumb. biggrin

What I really hated was Thandi Newton somehow managing the impressive feat of overacting and underacting at the same time. She hurts the audience whenever she's on screen, which is, sadly, a lot. Hopefully, Riddick will toss her out an airlock w/n the first minute of the sequel. biggrin

Overall, I'd give it a B-. It's got enough cool ideas to warrant a full-blown series, but they need to create a more interesting story for Riddick next time. He and Tombs are hand-down the coolest characters in the movie, and a cat and mouse chase flick between them and a bunch of other scummy mercs would get my butt in the theater opening night.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 09:10:21 PM »

Yea, Thandi Newton has a seat reserved right next to Halle Berry (sp?) on the rocket to be shot into the sun.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 09:39:08 AM »

I'm surprised no one has compared the Necromongers to the Borg. A direct "borrowing" of themes.

Overall though, an excellent movie. Riddick is a blast to watch, not to mention Kayla  :shock: . And the effects make me wish I would have taken this in in a theatre.

My one gripe is that I really wish they would have done away with the religious implications of the Necros. It added nothing to the story, and was downright silly.
Oh, and killing off Toombs was a mistake. He was cool as well.

Did this do good enough to warrant a sequal?
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 01:01:45 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

What I really hated was Thandi Newton somehow managing the impressive feat of overacting and underacting at the same time. She hurts the audience whenever she's on screen, which is, sadly, a lot.

It would hurt less if she were naked.  biggrin

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 03:30:42 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

What I really hated was Thandi Newton somehow managing the impressive feat of overacting and underacting at the same time. She hurts the audience whenever she's on screen, which is, sadly, a lot.

It would hurt less if she were naked.  biggrin

No it wouldn't.

I saw Beloved. Hell no longer holds any surprises for me.

I'm anxious to see the director's cut of TCoR. There were parts of the movie, as noted above, that I flat out loved. If I can skip right to those parts on disc, then consider this camper happy. biggrin

unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 02:38:27 AM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"
Did this do good enough to warrant a sequal?

I have no figures to cite, but I believe it did quite well monetarily, and also had a critically acclaimed video game tie-in, which is something of a first.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 03:35:46 AM »

I had to go see CoR solo when it came out since my family and friends turned their noses up at this one.  I enjoyed it for what it was, complete with the bad acting, script hiccups, and the occasional laughable dialogue exchange.  I still have no clue what Judi Denche was thinking when she agreed to play a role in the movie, she seemed so out of place in that sea of bad acting.  I liked it though, and some of the scenes were pretty damn cool.  It'll go right next to Blade in my fun to watch, bad acting, silly script DVDs section.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2004, 08:09:02 AM »

Unfortunately, CoR did very poorly at the theaters. It took in a little over 60 million and cost over 100 million to make. It was supposed to be a trilogy (In Vin's own words "my personal sci-fi Lord of the Rings") but that is probably dashed now, unless the DVD sells huge amonuts.

It is a shame, as I enjoyed the ride. Parts of the movie, almost 20 minutes,  were cut to get it a PG-13 rating. Vin was unhappy with the decision as the movie became somewhat disjointed, but he didn't have the final word. I'm disappointed to see the Director's Cut didn't add that footage back into the movie.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 12:03:49 PM »

Wife and I saw it for the first time last night. We enjoyed it for what it was;a non stop action flick with some good special effects.
We weren't looking for Hamlet or To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Ye Olde Farte
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: