http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 04:44:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of Riddick - Director's Cut = Cool!  (Read 3722 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

Wow! What a difference a lot of extra footage makes. As I said in the other post around here, overall I liked the movie but felt that not only was Riddick short changed on screen time, but also that the rest of the screen time was devoted to an overbearing and boring villain in the Necromongers.

What a difference 20 minutes of miscellaneous character footage and a re-edit makes.

I don't care what the box says, this is a re-edited movie. The shakey-cam battle on Crematoria still has a bit of that spastic work going on, but now you can not only tell what is going on during the fight, but the fight itself is way more brutal. This is the R-Rated cut of the movie we all thought the theatrical version was going to be. Riddick is a bad mofo who will kill the hell out of someone if they get in his way, and a PG-13 Riddick won't cut it. The gunfights are awesome now, the way Riddick kills with dual knives is beyond sweet, and the hand to hand is genuinely bone-crunching now.

As for the Necromongers, it seemed to me that most of the repetitive dialogue has been cut out in favor of new scenes or extended scenes that actually show how characters know what is going on. In the original, the Interrogator (blond guy with stupid small hat) just seemed to know who Riddick was and what he was, but in this cut he actually overhears a conversation about it. Not to mention the details of Riddick's past, and his existance as a Furian, are brought fully to bear.

Oh, and there's an extremely hot moment on the merc's ship between Riddick and the female merc. If you thought she was hot before, wait until you see just how spectacular her stomach is. biggrin

If you were disappointed in the movie, check this version out. It may just be the high I'm on whenever I see a lackluster movie turned into a much better one courtesy of non-studoi interference, but Chronicles of Riddick - Director's Cut is a hell of a good job. I'm now sad they may not make another movie, but if they keep the story going through another dazzling game like "Escape From Butcher Bay" was then I'll be about as content as one can get.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 10:03:57 PM »

I rented this the other day and here's the thing:  I had never seen the orginal.  

My immediate response was pleasant surprise at what a pretty darn good movie it was.  I don't know what it was like in the theater but I'm really hoping for the two sequels.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 11:47:54 PM »

I don't know why they don't just shoot that fucker.  They all stand around and act as if he isn't going to slash them up and as he is taking out all ten of their friends they don't bother to kill him.  

And I guess I also missed the whole point of the Necromongers.  Why are they going in destroying these planets?  

And Riddick is supposed to be some super-feared Furion, why?  Because he uses knives?  Looks like a human to me.  And it surely didn't help him fight that leader of the Necromongers.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 01:31:12 AM »

I rented it, enjoyed it quite a bit, and bought it the next day.

I never saw the theatrical cut, but from the sound of it the differences between the two are fairly large. I looked up a list of the changes and I can't see the movie being as entertaining without them.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 01:52:03 AM »

The Theatrical cut and the director's cut is on the same dvd.  So if you missed it back then, you can see for yourself now.

I've seen Riddick twice now in the theatres and just finished watching the director's cut.  The extra scenes makes it a lot better.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 03:39:25 AM »

How the heck do I choose which version I watch if they're on the same DVD?

I've chosen both "Fight" and "Convert" at that first menu point, and while I'm not 100% sure I do think the movie played exactly the same way each time.

Am I wrong?

Is "Fight" the director's cut?

*Edit*
Um, actually both seem to be the director's cut, as I specifically remember seeing scenes that are in the "cut" list both times I watched the movie. Also, David Twohy's message about the movie played both times.

So.. what do I do to access the theatrical cut? I'm curious as to just how jarring the difference is.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 04:13:07 AM »

guess i'm wrong then, I honestly dont' remember seeing the speech on one of the options.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 09:40:48 PM »

I checked it again, and it the movie does play the same way both times.

Also, ChroniclesofRiddick.com lists a different DVD to buy for the theatrical cut of the movie.

It's not much of a loss really, as to me it sounds like I'd only be watching an inferior movie simply to satisfy my curiosity.

unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 11:47:34 PM »

They wont be making another Riddick movie?  Why is that, I thought this movie did well at the box office?
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 12:34:05 AM »

I saw CoR several days ago for the first time. The director's cut. I thought it was a really awesome action flick myself and was amazed by how much this film has been trashed by critics. I didn't see it in the theaters, either.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 12:50:08 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
They wont be making another Riddick movie?  Why is that, I thought this movie did well at the box office?

Not really.  It made $114 million at the box office worldwide, and considering it cost $140 million to make (including marketing) that's not that great.  However, there's still a chance a sequel will be made if the DVD sells well.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 10:51:01 PM »

Quote from: "Tony"

Not really.  It made $114 million at the box office worldwide, and considering it cost $140 million to make (including marketing) that's not that great.  However, there's still a chance a sequel will be made if the DVD sells well.

Anyone know whether it did alright in the international market? If it made another $200 million worldwide then that would be enough to greenlight a sequel I'd think. Hopefully, they'll let Twohy make another R-rated one and not water it down with lame-ass PG-13 editing.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 02:14:23 AM »

I think what strangely hurt many movies this year has been the many other good movies that came out.  It really, really feels weird saying that, but Hollywood is actually churning out some really quality product lately.  

But it seems like its getting to be just like the game industry- if too many companies are putting out stuff that is really good, you are going to start seeing good stuff do poorly (BGE comes to mind).  Its a shame, but the dynamics of how the industry works is starting to change, both in movies and games.

IMO, for what its worth, companies are going to eventually be forced to lower their costs of bringing product to market.  Steam is hopefully a step in the right direction, since it is cutting out a very, shall we say, shady middleman.  And many directors who speak freely comment on all the waste going on behind the scenes in Hollywood (did anyone read "Rebel without a Crew?).
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 03:22:56 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Tony"

Anyone know whether it did alright in the international market? If it made another $200 million worldwide then that would be enough to greenlight a sequel I'd think. Hopefully, they'll let Twohy make another R-rated one and not water it down with lame-ass PG-13 editing.

Reading comprehension my friend.  I've bolded the relevant data.  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 04:27:37 AM »

Dang, I thought that was just domestic. Whoops. Guess we'll just have to rely on the game sequels, which I'm fine by since the game just kicked all kinds of ass. biggrin

unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 09:47:18 AM »

Who knows, it could still become a smash hit at DVD, right?
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 06:03:54 PM »

Who knows, it could still become a smash hit at DVD, right?

Yes, DVD sales could still save it and ensure sequels.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 07:30:26 PM »

I never saw the movie in the theaters, but I loved the unrated version on DVD.

After I saw it, I couldn't understand why it wasn't a bigger hit in the theaters, but I guess the extra 20 minutes of footage really helped the movie out more than I thought.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 09:40:10 PM »

According to imdb, the 20 minutes restored is the Furyan storyline.

That's right, the PG-13 version doesn't talk much about Furyans apparently.  Instead of the 20 minutes of more effects and interesting things the plotline is reduced to a line or two between some Necromongers.  There's still some scenes left in, but I think if they'd released the director's cut instead of the watered down theatrical edition the movie would have done much better.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 09:48:31 PM »

You have a movie with the name "Riddick" in it, and the main character is of the Furyan race and there's a whole subplot for them. What would you do to make the movie more accessible? Why, scrap that part of it and focus on the lame-ass villains who are dressed in grey, boring, and only act threatening by grabbing weapons only to get their ass kicked by Riddick.

/slaps David Twohy

unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 06:51:42 AM »

It seems more like the movie was the victim of bad editing.  It has killed far more movies than just this, my friend.

Not that I thought Riddick was bad, but the only way to make me NOT like it would have been to film some steaming pile of pooh.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »

I too managed to watch this over the Thanksgiving weekend and thought the movie was pretty good. I went in expecting a crappy movie but was overall quite pleased. I didn't realize that CoR was originally released as a PG-13 film - I could have sworn it too was an R rating.

Hopefully the DVD sales will keep this franchise going though.

How does this work again?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 04:16:55 PM »

While I normally don't like pimping IGN, they have a great interview with David Twohy on Riddick and the DVDs and the future of the series. Apparently, the DVD release just might have saved the franchise considering how many sales it had on the first day. It also further proves the complete uselessness of the MPAA and their censorship masquerading as "protecting the innocent." smile

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 04:52:26 PM »

I was a bit disappointed when I watched this yesterday. Might have helped if I had seen Pitch Black before it, but still there was potential for a lot more there I thought. The one moment the film just completely lost me was when Riddick was 'read' by those freaky half-dead things with the 'glass' stuff shattering... and Dame Vaako is watching from above and she says "Who is this man?" to herself. It just felt so... off that I completely lost what immersion in the film I had.

Other than that it was a decent enough sci-fi action flick.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 02:32:11 AM »

Quote from: "aussie77"
I was a bit disappointed when I watched this yesterday. Might have helped if I had seen Pitch Black before it, but still there was potential for a lot more there I thought. The one moment the film just completely lost me was when Riddick was 'read' by those freaky half-dead things with the 'glass' stuff shattering... and Dame Vaako is watching from above and she says "Who is this man?" to herself. It just felt so... off that I completely lost what immersion in the film I had.

Other than that it was a decent enough sci-fi action flick.

That's definitely an off moment in the movie. I winced a little when she gave that line, but honestly I enjoyed the rest of the movie enough to just kind of gloss over it. It's the only part of the movie like that, to me anyway.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 12:18:45 AM »

I saw this in the mall when I was shopping today and I almost bougth it.  Rather, I wanted to but my fam told me that its not actually something to own?  Is it?  I loved Pitch Black.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 12:34:07 AM »

Rent it. General public opinion is split enough over the movie that I don't think it's safe to just assume you'll like the movie enough to be happy owning it.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 02:37:25 AM »

The theatrical cut is not worth owning, but the Director's Cut is such a marked improvement that I'm definitely wanting to own it. Since it's a new cut of the movie, it's way more fleshed out, it moves faster, and overall is vastly better than what you saw in the theater. Basically it's what the movie should have been had they not needed to make it PG-13 and to hit the release date. smile

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004, 03:05:47 AM »

I rented the uncut version yesterday, and I wanted to like the movie more than I did. I got the sense that the writer/director came up with this neat little action sci-fi universe with interesting worlds, creatures, races, and bad guys, and then forgot to tell us about it when he went to film the movie. I'm all for a movie to have a wild universe and setting, but the narrative sure as hell better give me the info I need to understand the flick.

I only bring this up because, on a whim, I checked out a few of the bonus segments, and they bring up details that I feel are crucial to the movie. It's not neat side info like the lil creatures that run around in the background, a la, say, the Star Wars databank, but core exposition on main characters and races.

I loved the feel of the Necromongers, but I don't have much of a clue as to what the hell they are. They come across as obligatory bad guys in the flick - "Join us or die" - which wasn't kicking it for me. I wanted details of their kooky religion, and what the hell this "Underverse" nonsense is, other than some vague end result of a life dedicated to their philosophies. I never want to side with a bad guy, but I most definitely want to understand him.

Another thing I knock the movie on are the ridiculous names: Necromongers, Elementals, Crematoria, Furions. Like, shit, this is what I named bad guys in second grade when I pitted G.I. Joes against one another. The dialogue was also pretty lame. I have a high tollerance for cheese as long as I'm enjoying myself, and this movie had me flat out laughing on a few occations.

And I'm choked, because I really love the setup that the movie ends with, and I wish that someone else had helped write the damn movie. "David, you can't call the damned guys Necromongers." I don't think that the movie's all style and no substance - but I do think that someone forgot to tell us about the substance. Because of a lack luster box office, we may never see what Riddick does next.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 02:19:23 PM »

Actually DVD sales might save it and (according to the director) next Riddick

SPOILER
SPOILER

Goes to the Underverse. Maybe they were saving the info on this place for the sequel?  Have it be mysterious for now?

END SPOILER
END SPOILER
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 06:47:21 PM »

"Underverse" is a stupid name too.  :wink: Talking about this 'verse and that 'verse isn't much better.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: