http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 09:41:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia: Caspian  (Read 1408 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »

Didn't see a thread for it, so here we go. Took a good friend of mine to see it last night. I had hardly seen any trailers or advertisements for it, nor did I really look at any reviews - went into it pretty blind. I have not read the book.

I really liked the first one. It was nothing spectacular, but it was entertaining and fun with a bit of that childhood magic.

The second movie, not so much. Caspian was much darker than the first, which is generally OK to me, though it was a bit surprising how dark it got. It was basically a war movie, about the Narnians against the evil humans. Thus, there was much (bloodless) killing. I would not want my 4 year old nephew to go to this movie. It was also more overtly religious than the previous movie, if that scares anyone away.

The movie wasn't bad, but it lacked good direction and heart. You pretty much want to kick the oldest 2 kids' asses. The elder boy gets inexplicably emo while the elder daughter stands there with this judgemental, prudish face for the *entire* movie.

Many of the battle scenes were of course quite spectacular and there were some funny moments throughout. Overall I really wish I had waited for the DVD release on this one and gone to see Ironman again instead.

I give it a 4 out of 8 tentacles.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »

That review is pretty much spot-on for me as well.

I enjoyed the first one (didn't love it), but this one was a big bag of "meh."

The battle sequences (of which there are MANY) were pretty well done, but the story left a great deal to be desired. A friend of mine summed up the biggest single flaw with this movie - "Where was the magic?" Looking back, he was right. The first movie had a great magical villain, whereas this one is just a moderately dislikeable human. Even the magical creatures of Narnia are relegated to minority status. And for a movie entitled "Prince Caspian," he has an amazingly small role in the film. He spends the bulk of his time quietly playing second fiddle to Peter.

Very disappointing to me. It had the occasional bright spots, but overall I found it slow-paced and pointless.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:22:33 PM »

I was going to try and see it in the theater but now it looks like I may end up waiting for it to come out on DVD since there's 3 movies out now that I want to see and even more coming.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:38:56 PM »

Just to add a little dissent, I quite enjoyed it.  I thought it was faster paced than the first one.  Not sure why you thought it was more overtly religious than the first, as "...Wardrobe" was basically about Aslan as Jesus and this one was much lighter on that imagery. It's not without it's flaws - Caspian in particular had some horribly delivered lines, especially with the strange Spanish accent they chose to go with.  The other thing I also couldn't shake was the similarity between the final battle and the battles from the Lord of the Rings films.

I suppose it also matters how much you care about the original material.  Large chunks of the book are dropped out entirely, and other things added in, including an entire battle (although a very entertaining one) and some personal conflict and romance between charaters. Caspian was also much older than I ever pictured him and older than I think he is supposed to be (the actor is 27 even). Personally, I don't have much invested in the books, I have only used them as entertainment on our Boston-Michigan drives.

I think it is worth seeing on a big screen for the visuals, as well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 22, 2008, 04:38:56 PM

Not sure why you thought it was more overtly religious than the first, as "...Wardrobe" was basically about Aslan as Jesus and this one was much lighter on that imagery.
Spoiler for Hiden:
First, Lucy seeing Aslan but the others not seeing him. They had lost their faith so they could no longer see him. Second and most importantly was the river claiming the soldiers. Not only was it reminiscent of Moses and the Red Sea, but the river itself basically turned into God.
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:12:19 PM »

Interesting movie. There were parts that could have been better, but overall, I liked it. If you're a fan at all, you owe it to yourself to see it on the big screen though. The battles won't be as cool on the small. I've not read the books. My sister has, and she said there were a lot of changes she didn't like. Hm. There was one "WTF" moment though that kind of ruined a scene for me...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Regina Spektor song? In a movie like this? Especially while they were still in Narnia? It so didn't fit. I mean, the lyrics sort of did. But it just totally killed my immersion and ruined that whole scene for me. If it had played after they'd returned to our world, it might not have bothered me so much.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

Saw it over the weekend. It was certainly watchable but I was also kinda bored since I've seen all this stuff done before in the myriad of fantasy films (mainly LOTR). Asland came across as a total prick to me too. I may have missed it but why the hell did he wait as long as he did to get involved? It seemed like he was just hanging around doing nothing for no reason. Was he incapacitated or trapped?

I did like that dwarf though. He was a more well rounded, and likable, character than the Prince. Hopefully the next move has him in it...kicking Asland's ass.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »

It seemed like he was just hanging around doing nothing for no reason.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it was a 'God only helps those who put their faith in him' type thing. In the beginning, the older kids were all gung ho about saving Narnia by themselves and only the little girl (who still 'believed' in Aslan) could see him. Only after the other kids had learned humility (by basically getting their asses handed to them time and again) did Aslan show up and save the day.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 08:20:23 PM »

Saw it with the nieces and nephew yesterday.  It felt about a half hour or more too long, and there seemed to be extraneous plot elements or something just dragging the pace down.  I did enjoy most of the ending sequences, and some of the rest of it, but for the most part it felt like a retread and just kind of over-indulgent.  I also like the 4 main child actors and thought they did a decent job with the material they were given.  Some of the animals seemed extraneous and the bad guy plotlines felt excessive.

The kid in back of me midway through the movie asked "is that the end?" and OMG it was barely halfway through.  Later throughout the rest of the movie, he kept saying "I want to go home"  "I really want to go home" and honestly I kind of felt the same smile  It wasn't that bad, just needed a good trimming down.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:26:23 PM »

Saw it on Sunday, and I really loved it. Almost as much as the first. Forgot how beautiful the scenery and cinematography was. That should count towards some awards.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »

I finally got to see this on Blu Ray and liked it more than I thought I would.  I didn't even notice alot of the religious overtones until I read the spoilers in this thread.

on another note, looks like it might be the last Narnia film.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 25, 2008, 07:17:08 AM

I finally got to see this on Blu Ray and liked it more than I thought I would.  I didn't even notice alot of the religious overtones until I read the spoilers in this thread.

on another note, looks like it might be the last Narnia film.

that really sucks, I always liked the voyage of the dawn treader much more.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »

Having read all the books (to my daughter) I don't know that you would get seven good movies out of them.......
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 07:33:40 PM »

Magicians's Nephew and Last Battle would be hard to do for a mainstream audience and Horse and His Boy would be difficult to spin off with nowhere to go after the one film.  That being said, it sucks that we couldn't get at least the core 4 done.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »

could be worse.  could have failed after 'lion' like the golden compass did and not even get a sequel. 

any idea if the old bbc series does the books justice? 

Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »

I've done a good job of blocking out the first two (Wardrobe and Caspian/Dawn Treader) but can say that the Silver Chair was pretty faithful to the book. If you really want a Narnia fix would highly recommend the audio dramas put out by Focus on the Family.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 29, 2008, 09:17:16 PM

any idea if the old bbc series does the books justice? 

If you are referring to the BBC TV miniseries from 1988, IMO it's completely unwatchable. I could not finish it because it was so bad. It seemed pretty faithful to the book, but the production values are so awful it was unbearable. I didn't find the kid actors particularly good either. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic since I had seen the Disney produced movie first, but the BBC series was not my cup of tea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: