http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:48:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chili plant care tips/advice needed  (Read 207 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »

So I recently bought a ghost chili plant that is about a foot tall and I really have no idea how to care for it.  I did some Google searches and read so much conflicting info that I really need help from someone who knows how to care for plants.  I have no idea if I am giving it enough water, too much water, enough sun, etc.  The plant is blooming with flowers but they are dying off without producing any chilis.  Help! frown
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »

Pepper plants like full sun. The flowers won't be pollinated if your plant is indoors. I think you can pollinate manually with a q-tip. Water when the soil is visibly dried out or when you notice leaves wilting.

I've got about a dozen pepper plants in my outdoor garden. Last time I checked them (almost a week ago) they had a few peppers, but not many. My Biker Billy hot pepper plant was doing best, green bell peppers were doing diddly squat. Pollinators seem to have fallen down on the job this year. This was a general problem for gardeners throughout New England last year, too, and hard to explain -- bees and butterflies are hard at work in the tomato patch.

I've never tried growing peppers as houseplants. Doubt that that would be very successful.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:46:38 AM »

Thanks for the info, Ironrod.  I keep my plant outside, but I have it potted right now.  I have to move it from my balcony to my front yard to chase the sun.  It's getting about 8 to 10 hours of sun right now.

I have tried helping pollinate the flowers with my finger and cotton swab, but I have no idea if it is working.  Most likely not since 2 flowers have died and fell off the plant.

I was reading that pruning the plant is supposed to help with growing peppers?  How do I know which leaves or stems to trim?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:50:13 AM »

This probably won't help much, but all my chili peppers are fruiting like gangbusters. They're in full sun and I water them once per day. I've got one tabasco plant that currently has about 15 peppers going. I have no idea what to do with all of them.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59:52 AM »

Sorry, no experience with pruning. And I can't claim expertise, even though I've been growing peppers for 25+ years. Last year's crop was a complete bust and this year isn't shaping up much better.

Just as a WAG, if you have other flowering plants, try putting your pepper near them. Maybe they'll get some pollinator attention that way. None of my vegetables really take off until the mint patch flowers and draws bees from far and wide.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: