http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 07:36:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap yet good video camera?  (Read 416 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:11:41 AM »

My Canon digital camera makes great videos. Too bad they can only be 10 seconds long at max res. What really sucks is I have a 8 gig memory stick in it. But it doesn't care.

What would be the best cost to performance deal for small home movies and YouTube videos?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:21:42 AM »

Not sure about the video, but I have a canon powershot with an 8 gig card and I can take over an hour of video in 640x480 rez.  How old is your canon?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:26:52 AM »

I've been happy with my Kodak Zi8. Did much better than I expected to in low light at the Penny Arcade Expo, since low light performance is one place it gets criticized in reviews.

Ironrod started a thread asking about these pocket cams a month or two ago; might want to look up people's recommendations there, too.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »

I checked for best video camera but didn't see it. I'll re-search more words since there IS a thread here somewhere. Thanks.

And mine is the A75. It takes 10 sec videos at the best res and with sound and a 20-40 sec video at the poorest settings. I wish I could hack it or something.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 05, 2010, 03:45:12 PM

I checked for best video camera but didn't see it. I'll re-search more words since there IS a thread here somewhere. Thanks.

And mine is the A75. It takes 10 sec videos at the best res and with sound and a 20-40 sec video at the poorest settings. I wish I could hack it or something.

Hmm iirc, that is a pretty old powershot, it may be that they only allow x amount of time for video with those models.  I have the SD1000 (which is no longer made, I think) and can shoot tons of video.  If you get a new digital camera, you will definitely be able to shoot video with it.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »

I'm not sure what qualifies as cheap, but have you thought about a Flip?

No personal experience with them, but everyone who write about having one seems to love it.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 05, 2010, 11:26:52 AM

I've been happy with my Kodak Zi8. Did much better than I expected to in low light at the Penny Arcade Expo, since low light performance is one place it gets criticized in reviews.

Ironrod started a thread asking about these pocket cams a month or two ago; might want to look up people's recommendations there, too.

It came down to the Kodak or the Flip. I was leaning toward the Kodak when unplanned expenses canceled the purchase. I still might buy one later this year.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:02:16 PM »

Flip!..Thats the one I could not remember the name of. I'll look at it and the Kodaks now too. Hope Walmart carries something.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

IIRC the main difference was that the Flip has internal memory and the Kodak uses a memory card. Kodak costs more up front because you need to buy the card, but then you have the advantage of expandable memory. Also I think the Flip's "docking" apparatus was slightly inconvenient. And the Kodak's image stabilization was superior. At least, that's what I remember deciding before I abandoned my research.

monkyskunk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »

Cheap and Good. Creatvie Vado HD 70 bucks now at Dell.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Camcorders/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3513583

Here's a comparison video with a Flip HD  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SfIDLHI2eI

You can read the discussion bout the deal and the camera:  http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1958288
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »

While watching that comparison the Flip looked all washed out and plain. But then it hit me..it looks like real life. Something about the Creative doesn't look real....or something. Does look cool though smile

Oh and thanks for the heads up on the Creative..and all suggestions folks. I appreciate it very much. I Ill definately look into the Creative. Wife is saying go ahead and get it but i have a habit of researching stuff to death first.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:54:50 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 12:04:26 AM »

Let us know what you decide. I still want to buy one of these someday and would appreciate knowing what your research turns up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: