http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:29:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charlie & The Chocolate Factory?  (Read 1751 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2005, 04:41:39 PM »

The movie is scoring well so far at RottenTomatoes, who else is headed to see it today?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »

Today I go to see Wedding Crashers.

Is the Island out yet? I liked the first Charlie movie, but I think Johnny Depp looks like some odd sort of sexual predator in a very bad way in this movie.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 08:38:34 PM »

I will probably go see it tomorrow.  I love strange movies, I dont know if it gets any stranger than this one.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 08:54:26 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

My condolences.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 09:04:27 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

My condolences.

Why? It looks hilarious, has two of my favorite dumb comedy actors in it, and I am thoroughly looking forward to it. Far more than the popular, hyped up Charlie remake.

Don't send me your condolences, I'm a happy camper.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:45:01 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I will probably go see it tomorrow.  I love strange movies, I dont know if it gets any stranger than this one.

Agreed.  I <3 A Clockwork Orange.

That being said, I want to watch both Charlie and Wedding Crashers.  Firstly, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman woman is in Wedding Crashers, so that's a must see.  Because I mean, she's an attractive older woman!  And then I can't miss a Tim Burton movie.  So I'll watch both eventually.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 04:30:36 AM »

Is the Island out yet?

Island comes out next week.  I saw the sneak preview last weekend and I thought it was awful.  I honestly thought Bad Boys 2 was better but I think that's because I enjoy Bay most when he's not trying to handle serious material at all.  The Island, like Pearl Harbor and parts of Armegeddon, shows that Bay really doesn't know how to handle material with any level of restraint.  I'm sure plenty will enjoy it (it does have a nice, completely derivative car chase) but I think that there was so much unrealized potential really made me dislike it far more than I would have otherwise.

And it has the most obnoxious product placement I've *ever* seen in a movie.  Its almost obscene.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 05:41:03 AM »

Just got back from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  It's... odd.  Entertaining, funny, and... odd.  Elfman's work is great, and the Oompa Loompa pretty much steal the show.  That, and the 2001 bit.  There's also a cameo that I'm shocked they haven't stuck in the previews - what is he NOT in nowadays?

Nowhere near the classic the previous film incarnation is, but a very fun and... odd... diversion.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 05:57:10 AM »

a car chase? On an island?

does that concept bother anyone else?

Done posting
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 06:20:33 AM »

I just got back from The Wedding Crashers. I freaking loved it. It was hilarious and suprisingly well done, well acted, and reasonably thoughtful. A wonderful stupid summer comedy.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 07:52:56 AM »

HAHA!!  Willy Wonka was a blast!  I loved it!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 02:35:10 PM »

Is the Island out yet? I liked the first Charlie movie, but I think Johnny Depp looks like some odd sort of sexual predator in a very bad way in this movie.

He's no Gene Wilder, that's for sure. Wilder = The Bomb.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Is the Island out yet?

Island comes out next week.  I saw the sneak preview last weekend and I thought it was awful.  I honestly thought Bad Boys 2 was better but I think that's because I enjoy Bay most when he's not trying to handle serious material at all.  The Island, like Pearl Harbor and parts of Armegeddon, shows that Bay really doesn't know how to handle material with any level of restraint.  I'm sure plenty will enjoy it (it does have a nice, completely derivative car chase) but I think that there was so much unrealized potential really made me dislike it far more than I would have otherwise.

And it has the most obnoxious product placement I've *ever* seen in a movie.  Its almost obscene.

I can't imagine taking Scarlett Johansson and Ewin McGregor too seriously in a Michael Bay film.  They just aren't action heros.  Personally, I think SJ is way over-rated actress.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 02:56:54 AM »

I'll write up more in the coming days as I'm starting work on my Best/Worst of 2005 List, but right now Charlie and the Chocolate Factory just scored the top spot on my Best of 2005 list. So far. smile And this is coming from someone who hates every, single frame of the original crap movie. Longtime ardent fan of Gene Wilder, fucking hate the original movie with every fiber of my being.

So why is it that I fell so hard and fast in love with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Consistent characters for starters, especially the more exaggerated ones like Augustus and Wonka himself. Terrific family dynamic for Charlie and his family utterly missing from the original. The creation of a hilarious backstory for Wonka that actually improves the story without detracting from it, something few other "flashback origin" sequences get right. Brilliant Oompa Loompa musical numbers, amazing set designs, a perfectly cast Charlie who, despite seeming mature beyond his years, never makes you stop believing he's a child (I'm looking at you Dakota Fanning and Haley Joel). The way Charlie "gets" where the magic comes from throughout the factory, which lets Wonka believe in him because of his love, not because he didn't steal some gobstopper.

My grade: A

As I said, I'll write up more later. Magnificent film. Color me stunned beyond belief.

EDIT: Oh yeah, My Fair Lady thinks it's one of the best movies she's ever seen. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 03:00:36 AM »

I talk about it on this blog post.  I'm not going to put it on the top like Mitch did because I still think Batman Begins was better, but it is right up there.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 04:02:39 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I talk about it on this blog post.  I'm not going to put it on the top like Mitch did because I still think Batman Begins was better, but it is right up there.

Dude, it's been a tough battle all night for me between this and Batman Begins for the top spot, just so you know where I stand. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 05:50:26 AM »

I didnt like it as much as the original.  The factory as a whole looked neater, but I didnt like Depp as much as Wilder.   All in all, I enjoyed it, but not as much as the original.  The oompa loompa songs were rediculous.   And maybe you noticed, the oompa loompa model was the midget from Big Fish.  Ohhh, I thought Christopher Lee did the best in this movie, that guy just looks so damn sinister.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 11:10:59 AM »

I really liked it. I'm a huge fan of the first one and I hate Tim Burton so I figured I'd hate Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. However it work for me. I was surprised I liked it.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 12:24:14 PM »

I should hope so Rob...otherwise your icon as a constant reminder would be somewhat ironic. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 01:19:48 PM »

I am a fan of the orginal.  I liked this one as well.  I personally thought Depp did a great job as Wonka.  I have heard a lot of people say they didn like the Oompa songs, but neither Burton, of Elfman had anyting to do with that.  The songs were all written by Roald Dahl.  I thought it was great.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 01:48:31 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed the songs.  I was worried that it would either attempt to recreate the original movie's songs, or skip them altogether.  After the first few bars of the first song, I didn't think about the previous movie's tunes at all - between the hyper-show-tune production, great sight gags, and the kids wondering why it all seemed so pre-planned, it was very entertaining.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 10:25:24 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Lots of praise.
My grade: A
Magnificent film.

:shock:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 08:27:58 PM »

The Wedding Crashers was an enjoyable movie.

Now, to find a date or someone to watch "March of the Penguins" with me...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: