http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:21:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charlie Brown Christmas allways gets me...  (Read 1633 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:06:21 AM »

I don't know what it is about this little half hour special that allways gets me. It's timeless, the points still stand today, the characters are ageless and the music is sublime to be modest.

I allways watched it as a kid and was enthralled for a half hour. I think I can really identify with ole' Chuck every now and then, and of all the Peanuts specials this one allways makes me feel the best.

Still can't beat Linus's monologue near the end.

I know, it's for kids, but I guess I am still a big kid inside.

And now I am fully in the holiday spirit, Winter is my favorite season, Christmas is my most enjoyable holiday and I'm ready to immerse my self in the good side of the holidays.

Just thought I'd share this as I listen to the soundtrack and kick back and wish that it was colder here in Virginia... 60 degrees in December sucks.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 02:14:32 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

Just thought I'd share this as I listen to the soundtrack and kick back and wish that it was colder here in Virginia... 60 degrees in December sucks.

Try 85 here in central Florida today. We had the A/C on (still do, in fact)

I agree completely with all your points about A Charlie Brown Christmas. It's got a very special feel to it, and it always takes me back to great times in my childhood.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown! thumbsup
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 02:14:35 AM »

While I like the Christmas season I can't imagine wishing it was colder!! Good lord it was like 43 degrees today and raining! Ich do you know how much that sucks! I swear the first chance I get I'm moving the hell south and I'll never miss not having a white Christmas! smile

As for the specials ya I know what you mean it just brings you back to when your a kid and everything was so safe and happy. God I wish I had a time machine sometimes I had so many good times when I was little.  :cry:
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:16:11 AM »

Try 85 here in central Florida today. We had the A/C on (still do, in fact)

I hope it stays that way!! I'm going on my Honeymoon on Sunday for 2 weeks to Disney! Can't wait!!! I think....  :shock:  biggrin
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 03:05:28 AM »

It's not the same without the word "SPECIAL" rotating into view right before the episode starts.  I miss that CBS!
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 04:41:38 AM »

Holy crap I know exactly what you mean!! One of the things that really sticks out from my childhood was how big of a deal they made whenever they would show The Wizard of Oz on tv. When I was a kid this was like the friggen second coming.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 04:48:17 AM »

Fantastic music...
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 04:52:36 AM »

I actually think Charlie Brown Christmas is boring. The music is great, but the actual show is just a snoozefest. I thought that when I was a kid too, so it's not just an adult thing for me.

Love the music. Hate the show.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 05:03:07 AM »

Quote from: "Octavious230"
Holy crap I know exactly what you mean!! One of the things that really sticks out from my childhood was how big of a deal they made whenever they would show The Wizard of Oz on tv. When I was a kid this was like the friggen second coming.

One of the things I remember so fondly from childhood TV, was the opening to Wonderful World of Disney (6 pm, Sunday nights)...  with that little pixie flying around the logo with the trail of stardust around her, and the narrator saying "Welcome... to the wonderful world of Disney!".

And Land of The Lost on Saturday mornings. Remember the raft going over the waterfall in the opening?

I miss childhood.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 06:06:51 PM »

Yep, that was one of my favorite shows.  The Slestaks scared the piss out of me.

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters rocked too.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 06:11:08 PM »

I loved that special as well. Poor Charlie Brown. And I always tried to do that cool neck-dance like that one kid, but could never get it down.

The Great Pumpkin special is great, too. biggrin

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 06:20:04 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
I actually think Charlie Brown Christmas is boring. The music is great, but the actual show is just a snoozefest. I thought that when I was a kid too, so it's not just an adult thing for me.

That's why I like it so much.  It's the antithesis of the Christmas season in many ways - it's low-key and quiet, unlike the high-stress, high-pressure hurry that threatens to crush us mere mortals during December.  There's plenty of OMG XMAS SANTA COMING!!!!11 specials - Charlie Brown is a nice change of pace.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 06:54:10 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

That's why I like it so much.  It's the antithesis of the Christmas season in many ways - it's low-key and quiet, unlike the high-stress, high-pressure hurry that threatens to crush us mere mortals during December.  There's plenty of OMG XMAS SANTA COMING!!!!11 specials - Charlie Brown is a nice change of pace.

Exactly.  One thing I was disappointed in last night though was the second 1/2 hour.   It did a decent job of maintaining the spirit, but I really hated the 'quick-cut' storyboarding.  It was rather jarring after the pacing of the original.  It appears as if it was done in 2002 or so, after Schulz passed.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 07:51:22 PM »

Quote from: "Pyperkub"
Quote from: "Laner"

Exactly.  One thing I was disappointed in last night though was the second 1/2 hour.   It did a decent job of maintaining the spirit, but I really hated the 'quick-cut' storyboarding.  It was rather jarring after the pacing of the original.  It appears as if it was done in 2002 or so, after Schulz passed.

Yeah, there have been a couple of "sequels".... on the DVD, there is a second show which was made in the mid 80s, and it just doesn't compare.  It's OK, but lacks the magic of the original.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 10:26:15 PM »

One of the things I remember was during the Charllie Brown specials, The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown Christmas, was the "Dolly Madison" snack cake commericals. Where I grew up Hostess and Drakes were the big snack cake companies and dominated the commercial airwaves but for some reason when ever Charlie Brown came on they would show Dolly Madison commericals. The other one was the "Mounds" vs "Almond Joy" commericals, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont!".

Funny you should mention the "Wonderfull World of Disney" opening as well, awhile back I was watching some show and they were showing clips from older T.V. shows, they showed the opening for Disney and I heard that music and saw Tinkerbell fly across the screen and there was this surreal sense of nostalgia.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2004, 11:07:15 PM »

Dolly Madison snackcakes were one of the early licensing deals for the peanuts characters, hence their commercials reigning supreme during the specials.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: