http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:09:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CG Music Thread - What are you listening to?  (Read 9111 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »

I thought I'd toss this one out there as tribute to Rob for joining us. biggrin Also just curious what tunes you guys and gals are listening to these days. Discuss at your leisure.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 08:46:09 PM »

Well, I was listening to some samples from Norman Cook's new album earlier on iTunes Music Store...does that count?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 08:48:24 PM »

Getting lots of current airtime around the Caveman's lair:

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
Drive-by Truckers - The Dirty South
Bobby Bare Jr. - From the End of Your Leash
The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 08:56:55 PM »

Haven't picked up much new lately, but I've been listening to all my Creatures discs lately after seeing Siouxsie and Budgie interviewed on VH1 Classic's 'The Alternative' last weekend.  Also I'm falling in love with Kasey Chambers new album "Wayward Angel"- I just can't get enough of the opening track "Pony".

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 12:09:03 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"

Stay out of my room!

I haven't put Soft Bulletin in for awhile, though.  Toss in XM Radio (66 Raw) and you have my listening habits for the time being.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 12:14:26 AM »

Rilo Kiley and that's about it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Incendiary Lemon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 01:07:16 AM »

The Decline of British Seapower

I've been pinched on cash so nothing new recently
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 01:45:48 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Stay out of my room!

I haven't put Soft Bulletin in for awhile, though.  Toss in XM Radio (66 Raw) and you have my listening habits for the time being.

Stiffler, if you like those 3, aren't the odds good that you'll like the other disc I mentioned? Bobby Bare Jr's record is damn good, and even though I bought it 3 or 4 months ago, I still can't stop listening to it. C'mon, give it a spin!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 01:47:39 AM »

Stiffler, if you like those 3, aren't the odds good that you'll like the other disc I mentioned? Bobby Bare Jr's record is damn good, and even though I bought it 3 or 4 months ago, I still can't stop listening to it. C'mon, give it a spin!

I'm going to take your advice and look for it.  I have only heard the name and have no idea what it will sound like, but since I love the others I am definately going to give it a shot.  Thanks for the heads-up and congrats on the win!

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 02:34:19 AM »

D'oh!

I just started a new What You Picked Up Last thread... and then I saw this. My Bad!

Aside from the new stuff I listed in that other thread, I'm listening to

The Thrills LETS BOTTLE BOHEMIA
Interpol ANTICS (Amelia loves this one... she bounces and waves her arms to the rhythm.)
Rilo Kiley MORE ADVENTUROUS
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 02:46:32 AM »

In honor of GG, I'm posting IMG links!

Listening to:

The Thrills, because all you young punks are on the leading edge and I want to be there too...

and

new Tears for Fears album (not really thrilled with it, sadly)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 03:21:44 AM »

Thread? What thread?

Today at Kim's I picked up:

Panda Bear YOUNG PRAYER. That's a solo release from one of the members of Animal Collective.

RealAudio clipz:
untitled 1 ~ untitled 2

Other Music sez:

Panda Bear of the Animal Collective steps out on his own with Young Prayer, a breathlessly introspective and beautiful full-length written and recorded in his childhood home just after the death of his father. As you might expect, this is a sad and reflective collection of soul-baring songs. Panda's compositions on here are similar to the longer, more atmospheric pieces on Sung Tongs and on last year's Campfire Songs, with endless percussively strummed guitar chords laying a bed under his abstract mid-to-upper-register vocalizations. I can't help being reminded of the stunning and otherworldly vocal arrangements on David Crosby's fantastic If I Could Only Remember My Name album. Young Prayer is easily the most personal, spiritual, and deeply moving record to come out of the Animal Collective camp thus far. Highly recommended.

Yesterday at Tower I picked up:

K-OS JOYFUL REBELLION

Brian Wilson SMILE

Dizzee Rascal SHOWTIME
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 03:29:11 AM »

Nothing new, unfortunately. Mostly, I'm listening to Gaelic Storms's "How Are We Getting Home," Carbon Leaf's "5 Alive" and some miscellaneous Townes Van Zandt songs. I got a free Bloodshot Records sampler, but I've yet to try it out.

Speaking of Carbon Leaf, their song "Gloryland" just may be the prettiest a capella song I've ever heard. Normally they're in a Celtic/rock/bluegrass vein, but they also have some incredible harmonies.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 03:43:02 AM »

I've been listening to

Interpol - Antics  -- I really like this one, I think Evil is now my favorite Interpol song.  Not Even Jail is great too.

The Faint - Wet From Birth --  Southern Belles In London Sing is the coolest song around right now.  Who would of thought you could get such a great dance song with all the strings and acoustic guitars.

Tears For Fears - Everybody Loves A Happy Ending -- This album is really growing on me.  Call Me Mellow is supurb.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 03:53:49 AM »

Quote from: "Grievous Angel"
Nothing new, unfortunately. Mostly, I'm listening to Gaelic Storms's "How Are We Getting Home," Carbon Leaf's "5 Alive" and some miscellaneous Townes Van Zandt songs. I got a free Bloodshot Records sampler, but I've yet to try it out.

Can't go wrong with a little TVZ. As for that Bloodshot Records sampler, I'm guessing there's probably a song or two of the recent Bobby Bare Jr. album I've been playing so much lately. Let me know what you think...
Incendiary Lemon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 03:55:30 AM »

I've gotten around to really liking Lets Bottle Bohemia, bother my ears and early impressions.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 04:01:10 AM »

I'm listening to Linkin Park Meteora.

I dig most of it, but like their last CD....only in short bursts.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
triggercut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 04:08:14 AM »

See!  See!  I told you that LBB had some legs, despite its instant gratification quotient that can be a bit much.

Been listening to that one, to Rilo, The Knockout Pills, and some older stuff like the Kinks and Tom Petty.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 04:43:15 AM »

Wow, I've never heard of half those bands.

I've been listening to...

Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Beethoven's Last Night, and both their Christmas CDs)
Blackmore's Rainbow (Just one song, In the Hall of the Mountain King)
The Gould Variations (A whole mess of Bach pieces)
Bach (A whole mess more of Bach, not on the Gould Variations)

Various pieces by Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Saint-Saens, Mozart, Bramhs, Pachelbel and Koji Kondo

And some Runrig, Alice Cooper, Greenday, Offspring... and a bunch of of other stuff that'll take too long to list.  If you hadn't guessed already, I don't actually listen to my CDs I just take what I like and throw them on my computer (I gotta get me an iPod).
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 05:19:02 AM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Beethoven's Last Night, and both their Christmas CDs)

A little early to be breaking out the Xmas songs, isn't it?

Reminds me of how strange I felt listening to Low's "Christmas" album in July.  But it's such a great album you can't play it only once a year.

Zagreus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 06:52:26 AM »

lately:

Steve Earle's "Transcendental Blues"
Eurythmics' "Savage"
They Might Be Giants' "The Spine"

Zagreus sits inside your head
Zagreus lives among the dead
Zagreus sees you in your bed
And eats you when you're sleeping!
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 07:31:04 AM »

Lots of Finger Eleven - not because One Thing's being overplayed on the radio now, but because Tip and The Greyest of Blue Skies are jammin' albums, and the new one is pretty solid too.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 08:16:05 AM »

I just picked up :

Green Day - American Idiot
Led Zepplin - Early Days/Latter Days Greatest Hits
Pixies - Doolittle

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 08:26:21 AM »

Listening to right now for the first time:

Cake - Pressure Chief

Also been listening to:

Marilyn Manson
Lacuna Coil
Muse (Absolution)

Except for Cake, that's all coding music.  So you have an idea what I've been up to lately, in case there was any doubt.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 11:01:19 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
Listening to right now for the first time:

Cake - Pressure Chief

Also been listening to:

Marilyn Manson
Lacuna Coil
Muse (Absolution)

Except for Cake, that's all coding music.  So you have an idea what I've been up to lately, in case there was any doubt.

I really dig that Muse album, got it with my last batch purchase which included Franz Ferdinand and (shortly thereafter) one by The Killers (Hot Fuss?).

And Tiny, you rock... not only is he coding on the weekends, but he takes times to post in the appropriate message boards (this one and one that's slightly more related to his job....) in a coherent manner. Go man go! smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
tswright
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004, 02:53:54 PM »

I've been listening to quite a bit of Libertines related material recently (albums, live stuff, Pete Doherty's Babyshambles side project). This year's self-titled release has kinda emerged out of a crowd of great albums to become my fave 2K4 release thus far. Like Mikey Streets, there's just something about The Libs's lyrics that hit me right in my special place.

I've also been giving the new one from Tom Waits a lot of air time. It's probably a bit too early to say this considering the album only came out last week but I think REAL GONE might be the best Waits album since RAIN DOGS (one of my all-time fave records).  Lyrically, it's as strong as anything Tom's ever released (for the most part, I'd liken it to a combination of the soldier/sailor stories on the Island trilogy and the crazed carnival barker stuff from the '90s) and the music, ye gods, the music. It's the ultimate refinement of the sound that he's been cultivating since BONE MACHINE. Y'know, the dark, clanking, rusted out farmhouse thing. There are at least a couple of tracks which make me think Waits is gonna burst out of the speakers with a switchblade or a garotte or something and run amok. Simply put, it's a brilliant album and if you're into Waits, you gotta have it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go listen to Hoist That Rag for the umpteenth time.

In addition, I've been satisfying my usual Brit guitar pop jones with Embrace (OUT OF NOTHING is so ridiculously good), Idlewild, Hope of the States, and Snow Patrol.
tswright
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2004, 03:00:06 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"

K-OS JOYFUL REBELLION

How you likin' it, Rob? Everytime I listen to JOYFUL, I'm struck by how melodic it is. A hip-hop album shouldn't have that many stick-in-yer-head instrumental sections, y'know? I'ma have to listen to Dirty Water now.

I.... don't know where I'm coming from...

Gotta love Sammy Boy Roberts. biggrin
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2004, 03:27:40 PM »

My newest purchases:

Tom Waits - Real Gone
Cake - Pressure Chief
Elliot Smith - either/or

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2004, 04:13:33 PM »

ok, I have no shame

setaside
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 04:23:29 PM »

I recently picked up Two Conversations by local artists The Appleseed Cast.  rrmorton and crew, I heartily point you guys in their direction.  

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.  I caught these guys live about a year ago and bought their first CD then (I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love) and haven't turned back since.
tswright
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 06:02:45 PM »

Quote from: "setaside"
I recently picked up Two Conversations by local artists The Appleseed Cast.  rrmorton and crew, I heartily point you guys in their direction.

I think I had this album in my top arbitrary number for last year. Very DISINTEGRATION-era Cure-esque in spots.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2004, 06:46:49 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
ok, I have no shame

William Shatner made a CD? You have GOT to be kidding.

And I'm currently listening to Dracula Nocturne (Japanese import of the Castlevania: Symponia of the Night soundtrack for the PS1). Yes, I do actually own the music CD. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2004, 07:04:26 PM »

Yeah, I've had my eye on The Appleseed Cast for a while knowing it was a T-Dub-- err, tswright favorite. I thinkI sampled some clips on Amazon ages ago but never got any further than that. But if you're gonna double team us, I'll have to give it another shot.

As for K-OS JOYFUL REBELLION, the melodic side of it you just mentioned is definitely standing out as distinctive and totally unexpected. It was a completely deaf-faith purchase and I wasn't expecting so much singalongability or tunefulness. The reggae groove of Crucial is an early fave, as is Dirty Water. My only complaint is that Clap Ur Hands is only a minute and a half long! I love that tune. As always, thanks for the recommendation!
setaside
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2004, 08:28:34 PM »

I used to go see Appleseed Cast all the time but the last disc I owned was Mare Vitalis which came out several years ago.  I just sort of lost touch with them.  On a whim, I thought I'd check out and see what they were doing and picked up their last disc and was just blown away by it.  

My personal favorite right now is Fight Song, which btw, you can get at Epitonic.com.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2004, 11:23:31 PM »

i think i've developed a bit of a crush on the lead singer of the distillers.  she's so terribly punk.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2004, 11:57:44 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

William Shatner made a CD? You have GOT to be kidding.

No and unlike his last attempt, its actually got some good tracks. "Real" and "Thats Me Trying" are actually pretty emotional and strong tracks.

B Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 12:14:08 AM »

Thanks to my new Emusic.com account, I've been listening to...

Beat Beat Heartbeat - The Natural History
Hot Autism - The Joggers
The Slow Wonder - A.C. Newman
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 12:18:03 AM »

A little early to be breaking out the Xmas songs, isn't it?

Reminds me of how strange I felt listening to Low's "Christmas" album in July. But it's such a great album you can't play it only once a year.

Hehe, yeah, I can't help it. The CDs just rock way too much to wait all year. I do wait until XMas to watch the DVD, though slywink
DPW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 03:32:13 AM »

Just got
My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
 I first listened to it in the car and was utterly unimpressed. Listening through it a second time I have become more impressed.

Morrisey: You Are The Quarry
 Interesting. That's all I've got on it so far.

The Thrills: Let's Bottle Bohemia
 If someone told me the 2nd cd by The Thrills would be this damn good I would have peed on their head. Luckily for them, no one I talk to in a way that would allow for peeing on one's ehad listens to The Thrills.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 03:32:57 AM »

Best band this year for me, like Sam Roberts was for me last year. Joeyjazz could attest to that fact.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: